Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

This and a complete version of Cirno Racing.

The fact that there is still not a Touhou kart racer is mind-boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Most Touhou fangames are pretty poo poo actually and mostly coast along on Touhou's popularity, a kart game wouldn't have been any different.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

a cartoon duck posted:

Most Touhou fangames are pretty poo poo actually and mostly coast along on Touhou's popularity, a kart game wouldn't have been any different.

No lie, I'd probably buy into those obvious cash-ins because they're Touhou.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

Don't forget difficulty! Official Touhou games are absurdly difficult(*), so naturally every last Touhou fangame must be either cryptic minmaxer bullshit, romhack-style platform hell bullshit, or CAVE-style bullet vomit!

*: Only difficult to people who have never played shmups; to anyone who even knows who CAVE is, even Lunatic is child's play

As of such, I would expect a Touhou Kart game to require nothing short of frame-perfect precision to rank in a race.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I admittedly haven't played many fan games (I bought the Intellegent Qube, Fire Emblem and After Burner homages on impulse) but the Valkyrie Profile one was entirely playable if a bit rough around the edges.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I thought Genius of Sappheiros had one of the best RPG battle systems I've ever played, but I suppose that falls into "cryptic minmaxer bullshit."

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
GoS manages to be less arcane than most of the SaGa series it tries to ape.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I never saw what was supposed to be so "SaGa" about it other than Life Points. Tendo Blade is way more of a SaGa clone.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 29, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I liked Labyrinth of Touhou :downs: How's Sengoku Gensokyo like?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Fantasy Maiden Wars is the bestest thing and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pureauthor posted:

Fantasy Maiden Wars is the bestest thing and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I still can't find the soundtrack for the second one. I need muh srw style touhou themes god dammit

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

CommissarMega posted:

I liked Labyrinth of Touhou :downs: How's Sengoku Gensokyo like?

It's a decent rpg/strategy game with some bad writing and art.

Pureauthor posted:

drat straight :hfive:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Can't go wrong with games from TasoFro or Lionheart. And the second Touhouvania is quite nice as well.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I remember Touhou Mother being quite good, but it's been quite a while since I've seen anything from it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

How's Sengoku Gensokyo like?
I disliked it intensely. It has one of the most ill-considered RPG combat systems I've ever encountered. The only good thing I can say about it is that it's the only Touhou fangame I've successfully bought through digital distribution.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

*: Only difficult to people who have never played shmups; to anyone who even knows who CAVE is, even Lunatic is child's play

My favorite Touhou fans are the ones that never realize it's Baby's First Bullet Hell. Kinda goes hand in hand with most Touhou fans not actually playing the games and just assuming more bullets means more difficulty I suppose.

Justus posted:

Can't go wrong with games from TasoFro

MegaMari is like one of the only fangames I actually enjoy, even if it's one of those that rather errs on the side of being too difficult and requiring too much precision as KataraniSword pointed out. At least it hits that MegaMan itch without being designed to appeal to pedos like other MegaMan clones in the same vein

The one other fangame I really enjoy is Touhou Rhythm Carnival Scarlet. I absolutely suck at rhythm games so the game might actually be poo poo compared to others and I just wouldn't notice, but I absolutely love the art style. If I ever felt like changing my avatar I'd probably with Meiling from that game. That or Duckman.

FractalSandwich posted:

I disliked it intensely.

Paging Doctor Namtab to this thread.

On a vaguely-related note, is there any fan-art of Remilia chilling with her hobgoblin servants and her chupacabre pet, or do fan-artists just ignore the best characters?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If there's one thing I'll never understand about fangames, it's how the hell Mystery Dungeon games pull off that much sales, have that much of a budget and are that popular. I never understood the appeal of the genre yet they seem to consistently be the #1 most demanded thing.

StrawberryBose went in a weird direction after GoS and have been delivering some really mixed results ever since, but I think they have some good in there. Mostly they just seem greedy with the amount of unpolished stuff they release.
The 3D Youmu game was nice, Touhou Soccer was a fun way to reexperience Tecmo World Cup/Captain Tsubasa if you ever played those, Takkoman exists as a constant reminder of human weirdness, and there's a lot of hidden gems here and there. But yeah, usually for every 2/3 good to decent games you get 10 bad ones that just completely ape the gameplay from something else or are just plain bad.

CommissarMega posted:

I liked Labyrinth of Touhou :downs:
Honestly it's not that bad if you're just going through the main game once. There's been a few videos/LP that have shown you can do a lot even with the underpowered characters and without any grinding.
The sequel on the other hand improves on the original in almost every possible way. Well, sort of, since it lifts some features wholesale from EO.

CommissarMega posted:

How's Sengoku Gensokyo like?

Ryza posted:

It's a decent rpg/strategy game with some bad writing and art.

FractalSandwich posted:

I disliked it intensely. It has one of the most ill-considered RPG combat systems I've ever encountered. The only good thing I can say about it is that it's the only Touhou fangame I've successfully bought through digital distribution.
I thought the distance system wasn't too bad after fumbling with it for an hour or two. I actually kinda liked the gameplay as far as managing all the distances and unique abilities went. I don't know about the writing though, it wasn't that bad was it? I just remember a couple neat ideas and there being so much of it it might as well have been a VN.

Justus posted:

Can't go wrong with games from TasoFro or Lionheart. And the second Touhouvania is quite nice as well.
Lionheart's development cycles might be atrociously long but they sure deliver results. Although they still haven't updated their newest game with some features they promised.

A Meat posted:

I remember Touhou Mother being quite good, but it's been quite a while since I've seen anything from it.

It...really isn't that great. Maybe it's just me but the Mother series doesn't exactly have the most amazing/enticing gameplay and a lot of the humor kinda falls flat here.
The person who made it has been making a sequel for years now and spent an entire year before updating last month.

a cartoon duck posted:

My favorite Touhou fans are the ones that never realize it's Baby's First Bullet Hell. Kinda goes hand in hand with most Touhou fans not actually playing the games and just assuming more bullets means more difficulty I suppose.
It's kinda crazy how...slow(?) Touhou is compared to some other things. Although other bullet hells are usually far more straight forward with their patterns. I can't recall having to figure out or think about patterns for too long in Cave games. Feels like there's bigger emphasis on just plain skill there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

MegaMari is like one of the only fangames I actually enjoy, even if it's one of those that rather errs on the side of being too difficult and requiring too much precision as KataraniSword pointed out. At least it hits that MegaMan itch without being designed to appeal to pedos like other MegaMan clones in the same vein

MegaMari is kind of in a weird place because yeah, it gets kinda platform hell bullshit? But it's not really that much harder than MegaMan 9 and 10, in the long run - you've just got more bullets to worry about as opposed to dumb gimmicks. It's actually pretty on par with the difficulty in its non-Touhou source series.

HGH posted:

If there's one thing I'll never understand about fangames, it's how the hell Mystery Dungeon games pull off that much sales, have that much of a budget and are that popular. I never understood the appeal of the genre yet they seem to consistently be the #1 most demanded thing.

People really, really like procedurally generated things. The American indie market is only barely starting to pick this up with the survival genre (ala Don't Starve and, to a much MUCH lesser degree, poo poo like Minecraft and Terraria) but having a game that more or less randomizes itself each time you start over adds a substantial amount of replay value.

There's also the fact that the Mystery Dungeon series are obstensibly roguelikes, a genre that causes Japan to poo poo itself in glee over raw difficulty because gamers in Japan are masochistic fucks. This also makes it appropriate for Touhou crossovers since Touhou fangames are always about piling on as much difficulty as possible.

quote:

Takkoman exists as a constant reminder of human weirdness

Takkoman is what happens when you use Megaman X gameplay to throw out an unrelenting stream of forum memes. It's sort of like Awful Fantasy (or any other successful goon romhack ventures - have there been any?) in that it's mostly intended for a very small demographic of people that "get it" but remains fun, if hideously surreal, to people who aren't in on the joke.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

HGH posted:

StrawberryBose went in a weird direction after GoS and have been delivering some really mixed results ever since, but I think they have some good in there. Mostly they just seem greedy with the amount of unpolished stuff they release.

They've been increasingly focused on delivering "professional" quality titles, which basically means making increasingly casual games. GoS was probably the best game they've ever made (and one of the best RPGs ever made in my highly biased opinion); that one tower defense thing they made was kinda decent if simple; Devil of Decline was a bit too easy but still pretty fun if you know how to break it; Phantasmal Summoners was a pretty neat idea and fun enough, though nothing special; Touhou Quest was honestly pretty boring, which makes me sad considering that it was using .hack's world generation system; Nightmare of Rebellion is really pretty but gently caress I hate playing it, Main Doppels staying dead and being unrevivable is tedious as gently caress and is largely the reason why I've never beaten it.

I'd wager they'll probably keep on the same track they have been, which makes me a bit sad since their games have steadily been getting worse to play, in my opinion, although the production values are also getting pretty impressive.

HGH posted:

Honestly it's not that bad if you're just going through the main game once. There's been a few videos/LP that have shown you can do a lot even with the underpowered characters and without any grinding.
The sequel on the other hand improves on the original in almost every possible way. Well, sort of, since it lifts some features wholesale from EO.

Labyrinth 2 is pretty much better in every way from the first game with one possible exception. What it gained in customization and options, it lost in difficulty. I mean, Byakuren can permanently maintain 100% buffs on herself with no degradation while also copying those buffs to other characters, Aya's instant turn and ability to full a character's ATB are crazy broken in some cases, Suika can (with some preperation) three-shot bosses from full health, Komachi can be built to regenerate more HP every turn than she'll ever take in damage, and Yuyuko can perpetually keep a boss from ever getting their turn. And that's not even touching post-nerf Hina who was on an entirely different level of broken.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Justus posted:

New Super Marisa Land is a rather well-done Mario clone, but it would be nice to not have to add "please overlook the dumb anime fanservice poo poo in the invincibility star and in the extra boss rush" to that. :sigh:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

In other things, Piyotycho (Black Dwarf) recently released a new Touhou comic on Alice Books, which offers international selling and shipping.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's a sequel to Touhou Labyrinth? Is it translated, or in the process of being translated?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
DID SOMEBODY SAY FANTASY MAIDEN WA-

Oh that conversation's already over. :sigh:

CommissarMega posted:

There's a sequel to Touhou Labyrinth? Is it translated, or in the process of being translated?

There's a WIP, yes. I'm not sure why you'd need a translation patch unless you really like your obscure in-jokes though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

BlitzBlast posted:

There's a WIP, yes. I'm not sure why you'd need a translation patch unless you really like your obscure in-jokes though.

Yeah, the partial patch covers all your gameplay needs, short of the names of synthesis items. Otherwise all the menus, skills, stats, that kinda stuff is translated so you can get to playing with nothing to impede you.
Although I do like me some dumb references to various other series.

BlitzBlast posted:

DID SOMEBODY SAY FANTASY MAIDEN WA-

Oh that conversation's already over. :sigh:
So how about that updating schedule eh? Not a peep since February! Hopefully the group's not dead.
I do like that they're refining each entry and trying their hand at new features. The buddy system in the newest game seems like it'll allow for a lot of abuse.

Golden Battler posted:

They've been increasingly focused on delivering "professional" quality titles, which basically means making increasingly casual games. GoS was probably the best game they've ever made (and one of the best RPGs ever made in my highly biased opinion); that one tower defense thing they made was kinda decent if simple; Devil of Decline was a bit too easy but still pretty fun if you know how to break it; Phantasmal Summoners was a pretty neat idea and fun enough, though nothing special; Touhou Quest was honestly pretty boring, which makes me sad considering that it was using .hack's world generation system; Nightmare of Rebellion is really pretty but gently caress I hate playing it, Main Doppels staying dead and being unrevivable is tedious as gently caress and is largely the reason why I've never beaten it.

I'd wager they'll probably keep on the same track they have been, which makes me a bit sad since their games have steadily been getting worse to play, in my opinion, although the production values are also getting pretty impressive.

You know, "Fangames are getting too casual" is not something I ever expected to hear but you kinda summed it up there, at least for Strawberry Bose. I mean, I guess they're aiming for a bigger target audience and there's nothing wrong with that other than annoying your original niche audience.
I've yet to touch NoR but that sounds like a horrible idea. It'd be like having Personas be attackable in the SMT games. I'm not sure what the point of that is short of artificially inflating the game's lifetime by having you backtrack to heal and revive characters.
Their weird trends have started ever since they started to partner up with Aquastyle, which explains their huge (comparatively) budgets, since they're pretty rich from those mystery dungeon games I mentioned earlier (they're consistently the highest selling product at conventions).

Golden Battler posted:

Labyrinth 2 is pretty much better in every way from the first game with one possible exception. What it gained in customization and options, it lost in difficulty. I mean, Byakuren can permanently maintain 100% buffs on herself with no degradation while also copying those buffs to other characters, Aya's instant turn and ability to full a character's ATB are crazy broken in some cases, Suika can (with some preperation) three-shot bosses from full health, Komachi can be built to regenerate more HP every turn than she'll ever take in damage, and Yuyuko can perpetually keep a boss from ever getting their turn. And that's not even touching post-nerf Hina who was on an entirely different level of broken.

Well, you don't really get most of those characters short of Aya till after floor 12, and I found those challenging enough. Maybe because I was blind on a first playthrough. Don't know about anything after that though, although using Kasen did feel a bit cheaty at times. I always saw potential in Hina but it didn't seem worth it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just want to say leather fedora is amazing, and that the Touhou Peanuts fanbook is almost as amazing, especially since it's got stuff that Danbooru doesn't have. Thanks, man!

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually do- at the very least, I'd like a little more detail on the story other than "Incident happens, Reimu and Marisa beat people up u8ntil it's resolved."

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Paging Doctor Namtab to this thread.

Yo Sengoku Gensokyo is a pretty fun strategy/RPG game, the combat system looks really complicated at first but can be fun once you get used to it, and the music/art is pretty good too.

The main story is diabolically bad, though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

CommissarMega posted:

I just want to say leather fedora is amazing, and that the Touhou Peanuts fanbook is almost as amazing, especially since it's got stuff that Danbooru doesn't have. Thanks, man!
Danbooru only has whatever's on his pixiv account, which is just a fraction of what he prints in his books, so yeah. I'm glad you like it, and I'm glad I got to be a part of making it readable for an English audience.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, Humble Bundles have really ruined my digging through the Touhou music collection. Every time I finish going through the half dozen or dozen soundtracks a particular Humble Bundle will come with, a new one will come out. :v:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's not too late to order one of those Touhou Peanuts books, is it?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I might be able to contact the circle and have them send me more if you really want one.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
If it's that much trouble, don't bother.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a cartoon duck posted:

What MM clones are you playing that have "pedo appeal"? The worst "offender" is probably Rokko-chan, and that's not even close.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I wonder if ZUN ever considered donating part of his revenue or con revenue or something into a Shinto preservation fund or shrine upkeep? He certainly seems fond enough of the Japanese socio-religious scene.

e: I may be wildly overestimating how much Touhou stuff actually nets him, mind you.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Takoluka posted:

What MM clones are you playing that have "pedo appeal"? The worst "offender" is probably Rokko-chan, and that's not even close.

I think he means those Rozen-whatever games (it's some fake German title). I think they popped up around the same time period as MegaMari, or LP'd together by someone or something. People are all like "Oh it's fine, the gameplay's worth it" but it really isn't once you take a look at it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Rosenkreuz Stilette? The OST's good but yeah the art style is pretty eugh. Also the only Megaman gameplay worth a drat is Legends. :colbert:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does Zun's version of Satori being one-eye'd mind reading tentacle youkai have any original basis in folklore or is it just the mind reading yeti's I see on wikipedia?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does Zun's version of Satori being one-eye'd mind reading tentacle youkai have any original basis in folklore or is it just the mind reading yeti's I see on wikipedia?

Mindreading yetis. The rest of her design comes from the common idea of a "third eye" as the source of extrasensory perception as well as conflating that with the "heart" which is also the "mind" in non-medical parlance. So she has a third eye which reads minds and is also a heart. So it has veins and arteries coming out of it.

I believe there's fanart that depicts how complicated it would be for her to get dressed and undressed without pulling out a vein. She would need specially designed clothes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Clarste posted:

She would need specially designed clothes.

Given that most of the characters we see have either tails or wings. I think it's safe to say that this is not that big of a deal in Gensokyo.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Clarste posted:

Mindreading yetis. The rest of her design comes from the common idea of a "third eye" as the source of extrasensory perception as well as conflating that with the "heart" which is also the "mind" in non-medical parlance. So she has a third eye which reads minds and is also a heart. So it has veins and arteries coming out of it.

I believe there's fanart that depicts how complicated it would be for her to get dressed and undressed without pulling out a vein. She would need specially designed clothes.

Sometimes I wonder how some Touhous get dressed. You know, how does Yuugi or Suika put on any shirt without it being ripped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

Sometimes I wonder how some Touhous get dressed. You know, how does Yuugi or Suika put on any shirt without it being ripped?

They never change! The only Touhou that changes clothes is Yuka.