Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

you knwo whats better? replacing the hosed parts and calling it a day

i get to see how much of a bitch in the rear end its going to be to work on this radio once teh parts show up, at least its all thru hole

agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that radio's gonna be cake to solder. you're gonna scream at teardown/rebuild, but the actual solderhackin' will be ez. next harbor freight trip pick up a magnetic dish for screws :D

the vol pot might be hinky cause it may have five pins soldered through, aint nothin i cant deal with. try lifting pin 7 on a surface mount DIP to pull a serial line out of an Icom PCR100. that's tricky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

scalpel works wonders for lifting pins

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

that radio's gonna be cake to solder. you're gonna scream at teardown/rebuild, but the actual solderhackin' will be ez. next harbor freight trip pick up a magnetic dish for screws :D

the vol pot might be hinky cause it may have five pins soldered through, aint nothin i cant deal with. try lifting pin 7 on a surface mount DIP to pull a serial line out of an Icom PCR100. that's tricky.

i have a hot air gun if that will help

+ just my regular 50w weller station with a blunt and fine tip

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
weller should be good, i'm bringing my trusty rat shack 40 watt too when we fix it up. it's trash, but i'm skilled enough now that I can solder AWG 12 outside in a breeze with it or lay down pcb joints

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

that heathkit forward/reverse meter is pretty janky, the directional coupler doesn't make enough juice at lower bands to drive the meter. Even in the manual its all "yeah at 80 meters you gotta drive this bitch with 70 watts for full scale)

20 and up it's fine

so basically leave it in reverse, crank the sensitivity and look for the drop

I'm going to hold off on shipping this until after august 16th. thats the big denver hamfest and I'm going to look for a better power meter for you (and pick up a couple short jumpers, you gonna have Stack of Boxes now)

if you're curious the specific circuit is referred to as an Ultimate Transmatch and can be read up on here http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/7007024.pdf

only real deviations are: I have no precise way to measure the components but they're appropriately sized by my eye; and I added the antenna selector switch (ant 1 / center off / ant 2)

slightly higher losses than like a straight up L or Pi network, BUT it will match loving anything and is easy to use

the split stator capacitor is key and you have to have it for the design. Fortunately, one of these $50 beauties was bolted right into that $5 tuner.

This is all really awesome. you own so much and I'm really excited. Don't worry about rushing it, summertime is Busy Family Stuff Time and as it cools off i'll have more time for radio stuff. i wouldn't even be a ham w/o this thread. *tears up*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what you do is: first use deoxit on the pot. that gets it nice and squeaky clean and washes away all the nasty lubricant in there. then you use faderlube, which puts it back

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i caused a pileup today

on 6m lmao
i usually leave the radio on 50.125 with the DSP NR cranked, its not intelligible but it will give the squawks I need to perk up the ears

had the beams swung southwest as tx/florida was open and i thought it might move west (and i dont care about florida/tx)
heard a cali dude calling, threw back to him, signed with him and the frequency loving EXPLODED

i worked 26 dudes in 30 minutes from arizona, vegas, cali, oregon

lmfao and they all said i was absolutely boomin in either 59 or 20 over. i think this new antenna is fuckin dope as helllll

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

magic band indeed

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Transceiver-Amateur-or-Government-Radio-/231627156122

:circlefap:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuckin dope. it'll run forever too

and yeah 6 meters is super super super fun. example: i copied a 10 watt beacon out of the bay area today 1 S-unit higher than the KA0CDN beacon, which uses ~50 watts and is a mile from me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I guess in my last post I let the cat out of the bag; I a geek, ham radio, who attends, anime, furry, science fiction , and comic-con conventions and dabbling in Steampunk. Some times I do bring my HT to check into the anything goes net on Friday or to amuse myself on a local repeater or simplex when things are slow.

I am a furry , that is fan of anthropomorphic animals in art, literature, and cosplay. There a small but active group of ham radio operators who are furs and often meet at conventions. At last year Rainfurrest, a convention in the Northwest , the furry ham ran a ham radio panel and set up a demonstration station. You might of heard in the news how at Midwest Furfest some twit released chlorine gas hotel stairway.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-19-hospitalized-thousands-evacuated-in-gas-leak-at-rosemont-hotel-20141207-story.html

What you might have not head how a few enterprising hams set up a impromptu net to keep everybody informed during the evacuation of the hotel. Then next day when things cleared , they sponsored an exam session welcoming few new hams and upgrades.

While I do not think one need to buy a pair of ears, but not to discount a potential interest in not the usual places.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

There are furry critters and there are furry critters. I , for one , enjoy cats-I've got 14 of 'em -all sizes. But I DO NOT cough up hairballs !To each his own........73, Bunky, K4EJQ

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
cq fursuit cq fursuit

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
CQ yiff CQ yiff no DX

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
69 de KG5FOX

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

dropped by grandpas house, he was in the middle of throwing out some useless old stuff

LED numitron tube replacements, complete with tube sockets, internal current limiting and for some reason a moderately large tantalum over each series resistor which will make PWMing them a bit tricky
these were used in older gas station pump meters for a while before they were upgraded to LCD

also, just found out about this generic DSP addon:
https://www.bhi-ltd.com/noise-cancelling/pcb-modules-low-level-audio/nedsp1061-kbd.html

seems to be a voice recognition type DSP noise reducer addon for virtually any modern radio, been looking for something like this for ages so definitely gonna try one out in the 706, if it works well i'll get one for the TS-850 too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

today I remembered that, as a lame technician, I still have Novice privileges and can use CW and data on 10m

I also found what is probably the most useful thing I own, in a toolbox (someone recycled it):

with the universal RF adapter kit, a random wire, and the MFJ-971 and Ten-Tec Argonaut 509 that I picked up on Freecycle together, I might be on the air tonight tomorrow tomorrow if WWV's 25mhz signal is still running so I can figure out what frequency I'm operating on

e: how is it I've been seeing photos of elecrafts around for months and i only just realized that the little thingy everyone has attached to the kx3 is a set of morse paddles and not, as I thought, some kind of weird clamp

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 23, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i found a dipole in the box with the radio and it tunes to ~1.1:1 at 28.1 mhz :toot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
be warned
10 meters loving sucks
its a dummy load band these days

that thing do 40? probably a better bet

you can also use ssb 28.3 to 28.5

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

be warned
10 meters loving sucks
its a dummy load band these days

that thing do 40? probably a better bet

you can also use ssb 28.3 to 28.5

it does do 40, but i don't have a keyer or key or the ability to use one. i could hook it up to cwget or something but then i'd have to figure out how to interface a computer w/o serial port to the radio

and sucks as in it's useless because nobody uses it, or useless because the sun is being lovely?

incidentally, i've found 80m.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
little bit of column A, little bit of column B. people don't call CQ because the band is closed, so nobody knows when it's actually open. It's why I make it a point to scan http://www.qsl.net/wj5o/bcn.htm - and because of that I was able to be a new tech's first HF contact a few weeks back on 28.480

but we actually do have a super lovely solar cycle this time around and some pretty grim predictions are coming in. and its possible that we will not see a solar cycle like 19* or 22** for the next seven or eight cycles. so there is a nonzero chance that HF will suck for the rest of our lives.

*19 is the bonkers solar cycle that gave everybody a decade of ham magic from 54-64, it's why all the old men always yell YOU CAN WORK THE WORLD WITH A WATT. yeah gramps you sure can if there's no digital devices in existence yet to clog up HF, and the ionosphere is so charged that Yuri Gagarin can light a cigarette by just holding it out the window on the way up

**i got into ham radio at the peak of cycle 22. borrowed a 25 watt 10 meter radio and threw a speaker wire dipole up fifteen feet and would come home from school every day and work argentina and south africa and trinidad like it was a local phone call

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Woking south american dudes after school like it ain't no thang

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was also the illustrious period where I was at a ham buddy's house and he had his little Yaesu 757gx hooked up and lo and loving behold as we scan through 20 meters, here's JY1 just ragchewing with some guy

we were way too terrified to actually call him or try to work him

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that owns

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's him talking to W5LFL on the space shuttle Columbia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1AIt_KfGnY

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
oh hey, i picked up this nice communication receiver, came off a royal navy ship that was later blown up to test some missiles or something:

15k-30MHz, AM, SSB and CW, fully passive preselector on the input for excellent performance, frequency accuracy is quite good even after 5 years in storage

unfortunately it was part of a kit

Elektrisk Bureau 500W PEP CW/RTTY/SSB (LSB only) with autotuner and several tuning memories
includes 230V single phase and (if available) three phase power and came with three binders full of manuals, service details and schematics

tested a few years ago, seemed to work then

exciter, receiver and several panels are removed in that picture, somewhat modular design so i can use a small HF like the 706 as the exciter if i want to run USB unless the old one can be modified

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
is s5 noise on 2m mobile unheard of? I'm at the point where I'm only going to listen to repeaters that I can tone squelch and stop listening to the calling freqs while I'm in town. and who the hell runs a repeater w/o txing a PL tone?? *looks over at city FD*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

is s5 noise on 2m mobile unheard of? I'm at the point where I'm only going to listen to repeaters that I can tone squelch and stop listening to the calling freqs while I'm in town. and who the hell runs a repeater w/o txing a PL tone?? *looks over at city FD*

ive had some really varying noise floor issues on 2m but generally its around S2 for me, but i have seen it go as high as S5 before and vocally complained about it on fm simplex, and others concurred there was noise in the area

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
this thread is full of nerds

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I need to figure out if I set 'rf squelch' to say s5 and I'm scanning and the Tupelo repeater or whatever and it comes in at s2 (but with a pl tone) if my rig will ignore a) the squelch knob or b) the rf squelch menu setting. but I guess if I just ignore simplex and he FD in town I could turn the squelch way down anyway

e

Jonny 290 posted:

when i'm on my mobile whip that is mounted right above the driver's door, i have s5-s7 noise across the 2m band. 144.000 has a full scale carrier.

when i'm on the tram 17 feet off the ground i have virtually no noise floor

its local electronics poo poo

sadly that poo poo is likely in your car

it quieted down a lot when I got out in the country though. idk. I need to get a 2m rig for inside, my tram isn't really being used much

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 23, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i'm on my mobile whip that is mounted right above the driver's door, i have s5-s7 noise across the 2m band. 144.000 has a full scale carrier.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
for some reason PL tones are pretty uncommon in norwegian repeaters, my home group even set up a fusion repeater in hybrid mode without enabling subtones on the output freq (i ended up turning it on myself)

if you have broadband noise then a real noise squelch should reject that pretty well, my icom HTs and the kirisun DMR both handle broadband noise very well with auto squelch

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i think its like downstairs neighbor doing something really electrically noisy that farbs it or w/e

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They have a very convenient system here:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If you've got any lights that turn on/off by touch those are supposedly really noisy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SperginMcBadposter posted:

If you've got any lights that turn on/off by touch those are supposedly really noisy.

i had one of those gently caress up a physical analog phone line once

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

oh hey, i picked up this nice communication receiver, came off a royal navy ship that was later blown up to test some missiles or something:

15k-30MHz, AM, SSB and CW, fully passive preselector on the input for excellent performance, frequency accuracy is quite good even after 5 years in storage

unfortunately it was part of a kit

Elektrisk Bureau 500W PEP CW/RTTY/SSB (LSB only) with autotuner and several tuning memories
includes 230V single phase and (if available) three phase power and came with three binders full of manuals, service details and schematics

tested a few years ago, seemed to work then

exciter, receiver and several panels are removed in that picture, somewhat modular design so i can use a small HF like the 706 as the exciter if i want to run USB unless the old one can be modified

:stare: good radio

where the hell do you find something like that?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

:stare: good radio

where the hell do you find something like that?

that's the garage of a friend of mine who's had it for years, he wanted to sell it but no one in the area was willing to put in the effort to reassemble it (even with the loving 1000 page assembly manual and all the parts right there). he offered it to me for free provided i actually take it with me, so i took the exciter, receiver and manual stack with me today

he did a lot of different jobs before he retired so he has contacts all over the place

we'll disassemble the rack on saturday and i'll drive it out to the vacation house where i have room and the loop antenna to run it (might need a new balun to run 500W though)

real question is if it the 10A circuits in the 50 year old house can handle it, you can just about see the MASSIVE toroidal transformers near the bottom in the picture, it's fused for 10A :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
read through the manual a bit, and
a) i can probably make an expansion board for the exciter to do USB by using two DDS boards and a microcontroller, there's even a spare card slot and it's entirely modular so it's just a matter of rewiring coaxes

b) the ATU will be fun to set up

it contains a number of giant inductors, including a huge loading coil for MF operation, the installation procedure is to run it manual, attempt to tune pretty much every band, then change taps on the coils to get it tuned on each band, write down the tuning settings from the front panel, then solder a strap-board up to "program" the tuner so it knows where to start

the TS-850 is a bit easier to use IMO, but it can't exactly tune a 100 foot longwire to 512 kHz either

there is not a single programmed part in the entire system (possible exception: receiver, which is a commercial unit), it's all 54 series logic and some more esoteric parts for the synths, ATU is done with straight logic and transistors

antenna output seems to be some kind of busbar, which is a bit scary, there's also a redundant antenna output and an input for a redundant transmitter (with automatic primary disconnect when it detects power on the input)
can't imagine what this system cost when new

longview fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread