Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
magikarp guy is the worst

gamefreak, please cool it on the guy who just has magikarp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

magikarp guy is the worst

gamefreak, please cool it on the guy who just has magikarp

I ran into that guy the order day. When I saw 6 pokemon and the first was a magikarp, I knew the game had trolled me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Six magikarp guy was hugely important when training didn't exist and you needed a fuckload of Speed EVs. But now that training exists six magikarp guy is totally unnecessary.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Friend of the show Elizabeth Gilbert just came out, I guess? It sounds like her closest friend was diagnosed with cancer, and the shock of the diagnosis made Gilbert realize how much the friend really meant to her.

It sounds less like she's gay, and more like she loves this person who happens to be a woman, which feels like something the McElroy's would endorse (not that they wouldn't endorse the more traditional model). They've promoted her podcast a few times in the month or so since it premiered, but this is probably too personal to get a mention.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't know if I'd ever listen to her podcast (I generally am not a big non-comedy podcast person) but I did really like how her show has the only low-key radio ad on the entire MaxFun network. Started to dip into ASMR territory.

I'm kinda glad the brothers had her on as a guest and promote her stuff, though, because otherwise I would have assumed the author of Eat Pray Love was just same boring spoiled white lady and she seems like an actually interesting and very nice person!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gilbert was probably one of the funniest guest spots they've done. That's the extent of my opinion about her.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

Friend of the show Elizabeth Gilbert just came out, I guess? It sounds like her closest friend was diagnosed with cancer, and the shock of the diagnosis made Gilbert realize how much the friend really meant to her.

It sounds less like she's gay, and more like she loves this person who happens to be a woman, which feels like something the McElroy's would endorse (not that they wouldn't endorse the more traditional model). They've promoted her podcast a few times in the month or so since it premiered, but this is probably too personal to get a mention.

That would be such an extremely weird thing for them to publicly acknowledge.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

kidcoelacanth posted:

Gilbert was probably one of the funniest guest spots they've done. That's the extent of my opinion about her.

Agreed on both counts, she was a great guest.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Here's a good bit that I forgot about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXprjhgpIHw&list=LL3hCEBWOrAwkXuG3umbpU5w&index=1 Aw baby, look at my throw up! I know you have a wet nap, girl!

Also, hot sports drinks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftA6yxEXG7k&index=2&list=LL3hCEBWOrAwkXuG3umbpU5w

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
The one that just went up is probably the best Adventure Zone episode yet.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Heavy ep

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I loved this episode, but I have one question that I doubt will ever get answered. Spoilers if you haven't listened yet:

Was the Chalice lying to Taako about his past to get him to try and use it? Everything else said to the rest of the crew seemed on the level, but Taako's trip into his past feels like it's showing him something that was completely fabricated to manipulate him into thinking he could change the past. If she was going through his memories, and the static was the period of wartime blocked from everyone by the void fish and she couldn't bring that period up, there's no way it could've known about his assistant being the poisoner, right?

gently caress I love this story so much.

DeNomolos fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 8, 2016

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

The static is something else than then standard BoB stuff. It was specifically pointed out by June as very strange. I'm assuming it has something to do with the deaths mentioned by Kravitz.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Was the Chalice lying to Taako about his past to get him to try and use it? Everything else said to the rest of the crew seemed on the level, but Taako's trip into his past feels like it's showing him something that was completely fabricated to manipulate him into thinking he could change the past.
It kinda backfired pretty badly if so! I think it's more likely to be true, though, that'd be a lot more interesting, storywise, wouldn't it?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I loved this episode, but I have one question that I doubt will ever get answered. Spoilers if you haven't listened yet:

Was the Chalice lying to Taako about his past to get him to try and use it? Everything else said to the rest of the crew seemed on the level, but Taako's trip into his past feels like it's showing him something that was completely fabricated to manipulate him into thinking he could change the past. If she was going through his memories, and the static was the period of wartime blocked from everyone by the void fish and she couldn't bring that period up, there's no way it could've known about his assistant being the poisoner, right?

gently caress I love this story so much.

This episode was fuckin' incredible. I think that Like Kojiro said, it's a more interesting narrative thread to introduce a betraying friend from the past than to just let it lie as a fabrication. I think the cup only works as a story device if it's completely truthful about it's visions of the past to offer that temptation. I think my thought was that Taako's jilted assistant was hoping that Taako was going to taste the food first and get poisoned, not that he was trying to kill the townsfolk. That re-introduction of Noelle was just heartbreaking

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIn0VLcTjJ4

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Yessss. First half of that scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HvkOnLp9Kk

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just like the last individual ep, the Merle parts were by-far the weakest and genuinely uninteresting. In contrast, just like the last individual ep, Magnus' segment is by-far the best, with Taako landing somewhere in the middle.

I just don't find Merle a compelling character in the slightest and Clint doesn't really put in the effort to make him interesting over making him funny. He only really works when he's casting Zone of Truth or loving plants or whatever, all the character moments with him are super flat.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Clint is a dad playing dungeons and dragons and I love him for it.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
This thread turned me onto MBMBaM (and Monster Factory) and then I unexpectedly became obsessed with TAZ with zero background knowledge of D&D, so thank you all for that. It's very much my poo poo.

Really enjoying the genuinely compelling storylines Griffin is writing. I love this podcast because it's made me gut-laugh several times and it also inspired me to get friends together for D&D.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has there been any word on what the format of the TV show is going to be? Only clue I've heard is them saying a few clips from some live show are going to be in it.

also rip Ms. Beakman

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

General Dog posted:

also rip Ms. Beakman

Don't play with my heart like that you goddamn liar.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

painynumbs posted:

This thread turned me onto MBMBaM (and Monster Factory) and then I unexpectedly became obsessed with TAZ with zero background knowledge of D&D, so thank you all for that. It's very much my poo poo.

Really enjoying the genuinely compelling storylines Griffin is writing. I love this podcast because it's made me gut-laugh several times and it also inspired me to get friends together for D&D.

Same. I work with a lot of D&D/tabletop fans but I wouldn't have considered playing before listening to the AZ. I actually was originally running a Star Wars RPG campaign that I wasn't really happy about, but hearing Griffin DM and talk about the process got me back into it.

(I would love for them to run a Star Wars RPG campaign at some point)

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Kojiro posted:

It kinda backfired pretty badly if so! I think it's more likely to be true, though, that'd be a lot more interesting, storywise, wouldn't it?

Ah, for some reason, I just thought it was more interesting for for Taako to have that disaster rather than have a character get introduced really quickly to absolve him, and I was going into it wanting to find some flaw or underhanded tactic in the Chalice's tactics. I figured that Taako being so sure about his mess up felt more like something Justin had come up pretty concrete and Griffin saw a chance for intrigue. I get that having a character introduced to show up later could be fun, though! As for the static, I was unsure if the war happened in their life time, so I could have been assuming that's what it was, just because static is always tends to be related to the BoB. Either way, it was still a really cool moment, and it's just how I was interpreting the scene, but if I'm super wrong, that's okay too.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Aw man, I can't believe Taako died. RIP :(

:v:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Just like the last individual ep, the Merle parts were by-far the weakest and genuinely uninteresting. In contrast, just like the last individual ep, Magnus' segment is by-far the best, with Taako landing somewhere in the middle.

I just don't find Merle a compelling character in the slightest and Clint doesn't really put in the effort to make him interesting over making him funny. He only really works when he's casting Zone of Truth or loving plants or whatever, all the character moments with him are super flat.

I dunno, I kind of like that there's the super-heroic guy with the incredibly tragic backstory, the goofy but powerful wizard who also has an incredibly tragic backstory, and then the bro who basically just got into adventuring because he was bored.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think Clint is funny in a very "dad" sort of way. He's not trying to make gut-buster goofs, but is basically just trying to make himself laugh. He's having fun. Not every character has to have a tragic back story, and Griffin just letting him roll with it is super cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's kind of my point. Merle only really works in a group, because the fact that he's essentially glorified comic relief means that when the story really focuses on his character the show drags entirely. There's just no there there.

Also I wouldn't really call Taako's backstory "tragic" so much as "dark", because Taako's whole deal is that he's a self-obsessed megalomaniacal idiot who hates genuine self-reflection. I mean, the best part of the episode is when he views the past and responds along the lines of "I found out the thing I was sad about is not my fault! Hooray!" while steadfastly ignoring the forty dead people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

showbiz_liz posted:

I dunno, I kind of like that there's the super-heroic guy with the incredibly tragic backstory, the goofy but powerful wizard who also has an incredibly tragic backstory, and then the bro who basically just got into adventuring because he was bored.

yea I think he fits into the story pretty well really, you have two guys who are kinda standard RPG heroes and then 'uh yea, I'm just here to have some fun and talk about Pan'.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Looks like them Car Boys are at it again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46821X7KI

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This episode is some end of evangelion poo poo.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I also actually liked Merle's spa day, but I guess in retrospect I mostly liked it for the way it humanized the Director, so maybe the point that he's best when he plays off other characters stands.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Looks like them Car Boys are at it again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46821X7KI

Hail Busto

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Where the gently caress does Nick live that there's always a siren going off at one point during his recordings

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

Where the gently caress does Nick live that there's always a siren going off at one point during his recordings

I live a couple blocks from a hospital and I hear a lot of sirens at home, it doesn't necessarily mean 'hellpit of crime'

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
People hating on Clint not mentioning that he started the "Bork" bit which is a loving amazing bit. Shameful.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Robiben posted:

People hating on Clint not mentioning that he started the "Bork" bit which is a loving amazing bit. Shameful.

Anyone who can force Justin to run out of a room in horror is A.O.K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alAbyXGLLEA

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

"Beach dwarves" is so good.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/mordhiobhail/status/773962087521460224

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The latest Car Boys is a loving masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

misadventurous posted:

"Beach dwarves" is so good.

This was great and the Merle character keeps everyone from sliding too deep into excruxiating seriousness.