Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Looks like their clothes from the first game, plus Sully still has brown hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014
My favourite part of the epilogue is that even after 13-14 years, Nate still couldn't beat Elena's high score

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that is a wonderful house but it's all out to sea the second a rough storm comes ashore

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I want to like that dog, but there's just something about it that's uncanny valley to me and I don't know what. It bugs me and I don't like being bothered by :shittydog:cute dog idiot.:shittydog: :saddowns:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Like Clockwork posted:

I want to like that dog, but there's just something about it that's uncanny valley to me and I don't know what. It bugs me and I don't like being bothered by :shittydog:cute dog idiot.:shittydog: :saddowns:

That dog actually contains part of Sully's soul, and that's all you need to know.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That entire epilogue felt like such a big hug that I'm sad I don't have anybody around to hug right now, and I will willingly admit I got teary-eyed multiple times during it.

I mean, okay, Chapter 4 was good, but that epilogue just barely avoided being too much and it's fantastic.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 11, 2017

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Simply put, that ending was nice and filled with warm feelings. What an adorable end to Drake and Elena's story.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, are we gonna get multiplayer videos now?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's a video of every time in the entire main franchise that something gives way at a dramatically convinient time. (apparently)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMgDURpAxU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Frankly, I'm surprised that's only ten and a half minutes long.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I guess I'll be the cold emotionless devils advocate. The entire epilogue was lame and felt like the developers were jacking off.

I don't see how you could be attached to these characters in the way the ending clearly expects you to be when the previous three games had them just be vehicles for the player to hear quips, jump on stuff and murder thousands of people. There was nothing wrong with that because those games were a lot more simple in their writing with a plot was largely just an excuse to do those three things, but in this game the characters Matter and Are Important and it feels awkward for a lot of the same reasons kingdom of the crystal skull feels awkward.

Attractive improbably good at jumping and fighting white man who's very lucky and his wife who is also all of those things had even more totally cool but less violent adventures for years after the events of this game. Ok cool, that's a solid ending I guess, but why did this game need to be gone home: references edition for 30 minutes to rub it in when the scene with them buying the salvage company already got the message across?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, all I can say is that seeing this (the only Uncharted LP I have seen) makes me bloody pissed Naughty Dog is only a console developer. And I mean so pissed I had better never met their CEO, or his wedding tackle is getting punted from her to, ohhhh, Libertalia? (And I don't live too far from you wacky kids, C+I. Almost scarily close if my hypothesis is correct.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

darealkooky posted:

I guess I'll be the cold emotionless devils advocate. The entire epilogue was lame and felt like the developers were jacking off.

I don't see how you could be attached to these characters in the way the ending clearly expects you to be when the previous three games had them just be vehicles for the player to hear quips, jump on stuff and murder thousands of people. There was nothing wrong with that because those games were a lot more simple in their writing with a plot was largely just an excuse to do those three things, but in this game the characters Matter and Are Important and it feels awkward for a lot of the same reasons kingdom of the crystal skull feels awkward.

Attractive improbably good at jumping and fighting white man who's very lucky and his wife who is also all of those things had even more totally cool but less violent adventures for years after the events of this game. Ok cool, that's a solid ending I guess, but why did this game need to be gone home: references edition for 30 minutes to rub it in when the scene with them buying the salvage company already got the message across?

Probably because it was telling a story, particularly the last one you were going to share with Nate. May not have connected with you, but it certainly did with nearly everyone else. I mean, I guess there could have an option in game to skip the epilogue???

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's a great ending. Thanks for LPing this poo poo for me 'cause I've loved this series ever since one of my roommates in college played it. He musta loved this ending :)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

darealkooky posted:

I am with you on this team. There's no real harm in the epilogue but it is awfully self indulgent and probably "unearned", so to speak.

This game's a story of how poo poo people do poo poo things and get away with them. Nadine really didn't deserve to get away with everything she does. Rafe's a piece of crap and got what he deserved, but he's no worse than Nadine.
The 4 protagonists are pretty much just awful at heart and get away with everything. It's kinda dumb. The moral of the story is generally "kill people, do what you want, you'll get away with it if you're rich".

I don't get why the daughter is so vintage 10's hipster and why things in the house, like the microwave, are like 80's poo poo too. The timeframe at that point is closer to 2030 than 2020. They never got around to looking at an actual PS1 either because the model for the console is wrong too.

U4's a decent little tale and enjoyable enough to sit through, but it's nothing spectacular or worth writing home about. U2 was a better game. TLOU's the best ND adventure game. Crash Team Racing's their best game overall.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We got robbed of our Nadine Boss Fight, this is horse poo poo

e: I love being lectured by the leader of the mercenary army about greed, lmao

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 11, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Detective Thompson posted:

Looks like their clothes from the first game, plus Sully still has brown hair.

It is a picture that gets taken at the end of the first game. Like, the game literally ends with that photograph.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"There's nothing Ikea in here" except that hospital green three-leveled cart in the kid's room beneath the Savage Starlight poster, that's totally from Ikea except they're not selling it in green this year

Don't judge me, I thought it was pretty neat looking the last time I went shopping at Ikea but I couldn't justify putting it anywhere in my house

Not like the Death Star lamp

E: now that I'm finally finished that feature film length update, thanks, y'guys. It was a great LP and a relaxing way to spend that time in the mornings between when my cat starts yelling for food and when his breakfast actually is.

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 11, 2017

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Cheers for another great LP, that epilogue was adooooorable.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Was hoping for a talk with the daughter about how many people her parents have killed with no remorse. Oh well, I guess Uncharted has embraced its awkward ludonarrative dissonance.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Fututor Magnus posted:

Was hoping for a talk with the daughter about how many people her parents have killed with no remorse. Oh well, I guess Uncharted has embraced its awkward ludonarrative dissonance.

Considering "Ludonarrative Dissonance" is one of the trophies, I'd say yeah, they have.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ablative posted:

Considering "Ludonarrative Dissonance" is one of the trophies, I'd say yeah, they have.

I also love that the only thing that makes Rafe any worse than our main characters is the fact that he's such an rear end in a top hat. And most of his assholery only happens in the cutscene realm, so that may as well make those crimes more real than what the players gets up to in the course of normal gameplay.

It was pretty interesting how Nate's daughter comments on the fact that her dad is posing with a shotgun in the picture, she's clearly got no clue whatsoever what her dad got up to in his adventures, and is obviously going to be fed a sanitised account by her parents. Good to see ND didn't drop the ball entirely on that front.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Thanks Chip & Ironicus! Quality as always.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The world's probably better off with less mercs in the world, tbh

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I noticed that the Drakes got on the cover of a magazine for discovering something about the wives of Genghis Khan. Are there particular gaps in our knowledge about Genghis Khan and his wives? Could this be a reference to the planned DLC?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
My favourite magazine cover thing is the one that is just "Top 10 piles of dirt in the world" because that's so, so blunt about the whole thing. You go Archaeology Magazine, burn your entire staff and readerbase casually like that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They never got around to looking at an actual PS1 either because the model for the console is wrong too.

Was it an original PlayStation or the short lived PSX? I'll have to take a look when I'm not on my phone.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Fututor Magnus posted:

I also love that the only thing that makes Rafe any worse than our main characters is the fact that he's such an rear end in a top hat. And most of his assholery only happens in the cutscene realm, so that may as well make those crimes more real than what the players gets up to in the course of normal gameplay.

It was pretty interesting how Nate's daughter comments on the fact that her dad is posing with a shotgun in the picture, she's clearly got no clue whatsoever what her dad got up to in his adventures, and is obviously going to be fed a sanitised account by her parents. Good to see ND didn't drop the ball entirely on that front.

I think the general implication with these sorts of endings is that the game that just finished is the story he's about to tell. So I think the kid gets a cutscene only version where Nate is like, "And then, God help me, I had to kill Rafe in self-defense."

What she doesn't hear is "I made it through the cave and had to mow down a dozen regular mercs and two minigun guys before I could start climbing the mountain."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shinjobi posted:

Was it an original PlayStation or the short lived PSX? I'll have to take a look when I'm not on my phone.

It's modeled after this big guy, the original fat one, white color scheme and all.

edit: If you wanna go along with that guy's spergin though, the real inconsistency is that Nate used the analog stick to play Crash 1, which came out before the dualanalog and therefore did not support the sticks :ssh:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 11, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CJacobs posted:

It's modeled after this big guy, the original fat one, white color scheme and all.

edit: If you wanna go along with that guy's spergin though, the real inconsistency is that Nate used the analog stick to play Crash 1, which came out before the dualanalog and therefore did not support the sticks :ssh:

I do want to sperg about that, actually. Because it's insane we once lived in a world without analog sticks.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HitTheTargets posted:

I think the general implication with these sorts of endings is that the game that just finished is the story he's about to tell. So I think the kid gets a cutscene only version where Nate is like, "And then, God help me, I had to kill Rafe in self-defense."

What she doesn't hear is "I made it through the cave and had to mow down a dozen regular mercs and two minigun guys before I could start climbing the mountain."

It was pretty interesting how the kid was surprised at seeing Nate with a gun in the picture, it does come across as a subtle comment on the ludonarrative dissonance. Like the game is acknowledging that the story they want to tell of a cool wise-cracking trio of characters is undermined by the actual game mechanics. Like obviously the stuff in the cutscenes is what Nate, and by extension the writers, want the story to be, but for a moment you have someone in the cutscene world sort-of struggle with the realisation that the the third-person shooter Nate, and the action-adventure protagonist Nate are one and the same.

I'm probably reading too much into that little moment, but imagine the kid coming to grips with the fact that her dad is a video game shooter player character who shot and killed dozens of mooks and took hundreds of bullets to his body and survived. It's jarring to see the narrative and gameplay conflict, but more uncanny is when the game acknowledges that dissonance. Guess that's what made me think about this as much as I did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shinjobi posted:

I do want to sperg about that, actually. Because it's insane we once lived in a world without analog sticks.

I agree, having recently replayed it Crashy Fox 1 Crash Bandicoot 1 is actually way harder than the next games in the trilogy because you can only move in 4-to-kinda-8 directions and it's agonizing. Thank goodness for sticks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Did someone post or say that they probably used Jameson Salvage to salvage Avery's ship then?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Fututor Magnus posted:

It was pretty interesting how the kid was surprised at seeing Nate with a gun in the picture, it does come across as a subtle comment on the ludonarrative dissonance. Like the game is acknowledging that the story they want to tell of a cool wise-cracking trio of characters is undermined by the actual game mechanics. Like obviously the stuff in the cutscenes is what Nate, and by extension the writers, want the story to be, but for a moment you have someone in the cutscene world sort-of struggle with the realisation that the the third-person shooter Nate, and the action-adventure protagonist Nate are one and the same.

I'm probably reading too much into that little moment, but imagine the kid coming to grips with the fact that her dad is a video game shooter player character who shot and killed dozens of mooks and took hundreds of bullets to his body and survived. It's jarring to see the narrative and gameplay conflict, but more uncanny is when the game acknowledges that dissonance. Guess that's what made me think about this as much as I did.

Well, in fairness, they always shoot first, and they're pretty much always pretty awful people?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did someone post or say that they probably used Jameson Salvage to salvage Avery's ship then?

they actually converted Jameson's ship into a whaler, with harpoons made from conflict diamonds

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The problem with the controller is that it's a weird hybrid between a DualShock 3 and a DualShock 1. The problem with the console is that the colouration is off. I don't remember Crash 1 well enough to know about analog controls.

It's only notable because these developers go the extra mile for minute details in their environments, which makes things like this just bizarre. Especially when it's Sony's flagship and about as hard to get your hands on a DualShock 1 to model it accurately as it is to go buy a pint of milk.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jetrauben posted:

Well, in fairness, they always shoot first, and they're pretty much always pretty awful people?

Yeah, that's to make the player feel good about the shooting pretty much. But what makes moments like Nate sharing a tender moment with his wife playing Crash Bandicoot and enjoying each others' company not seem weird to us - we who control Nate through firefights with mercenary soldiers but cannot share in the same character's romantic moment - is that we have reconciled with the idea that there's a distinct "video game world" in which the shooting and jumping happens, and a distinct "story world" of the cutscenes that's more real and which we get to see more of as a reward for doing the shooting and jumping around.

So it feels extra weird, especially in the epilogue, when it seems that the "real world" in the game is acknowledging the unrealistic video game murder rampage parts. At least in action movies the whole thing is fake-y and unrealistic as a cohesive whole and we're not pretending that "these scenes are real and these are to be ignored in the end". Only in video games we're okay with a realistic story with realistically written characters while in the parts in which we actually create the story the same realistic characters carry around five different assault rifles and kill other humans without breaking a sweat.

As for whether the ludonarrative dissonance undermines the character arcs or makes the ending feel "unearned", I think on one end if the narrative contextualises the player's actions within its arc, and comments on how it reflects on the player and the character, sort of like what Spec Ops: The Line does, that'd be a clear tone violation for the Uncharted series and wouldn't really feel any better. But definitely to some extent the devs objective of creating characters that come across as emotionally and physically vulnerable is undermined by having the same characters kill dozens of dudes and taking dozens of bullets without qualm. The writers obviously cared about their characters more than some players did, so I don't rue them capping their arcs off the way they did.

darealkooky posted:

But the plot and worldbuilding that wasn't about the characters was the usual silly action-game crap. Like, are we supposed to believe that pirates built all that crazy poo poo, with all the labour force and engineering know-how that would be needed, without anybody noticing, all in the 17th-18th centuries and within their lifetimes? But you're right that all the character arcs and stuff are written a lot more realistically and self-seriously, so there's even more of a dissonance within the story between the treasure-hunting adventure plot-line, which is there to allow the crazy shooting and jumping gameplay, and the character plot-lines, which makes the rest as awkward as you say.

Shinjobi posted:

Probably because it was telling a story, particularly the last one you were going to share with Nate. May not have connected with you, but it certainly did with nearly everyone else. I mean, I guess there could have an option in game to skip the epilogue???

IMO the issue is that the story the writers wanted to leave with the players is that of the characters, but the story the player gets to create through play is one of gunfights and killing. We, the players, never really got to share the story that gets capped off in the epilogue and that's what feels weird about the whole experience.

I enjoyed and connected with that story because I saw it all in let's play form, as if it were a movie, but I think if I were to actually play through it that the ludonarrative dissonance would be more obvious.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 11, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I like how Nadine was the one who had to spell it out to Rafe and Nate that the treasure would probably get them killed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

General Specific posted:

I really like the sword fight thematically and how it caps off the story, but gameplay-wise it overstays its welcome after multiple deaths trying to figure it out. Besides being a brand new mechanic with no chance to practice prior to the fight, the camera doesn't always give you a clear view of what Rafe is doing, and some of his moves are hard to read because they look like left slashes but actually come from the right, or vice versa. It's a lot easier once you learn Rafe's attack patterns. Also, your health does recharge if you can keep your distance from Rafe for a few seconds. You don't have to score any hits on him.

e: Rafe has some quips when he kills you, but they get repetitive once you've heard all of them multiple times, as does the rest of his dialogue.

Also you counter the right attack with the right face button and the left attack with the top face button :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I never see the phrase ludonarrative dissonance again I will have lived a fantastic life.

• Locked thread