Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Okay but I think I only have one, Lifeblood Heart. What are the others?

EDIT: Nevermind I had the other charm. But it still isn't opening? The hell?

If you put on lifeblood heart and Joni's Blessing you'll have exactly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

You can also use the Fragile Heart Charm alongside Joni's for massive number of blue masks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There are more.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Okay but I think I only have one, Lifeblood Heart. What are the others?

EDIT: Nevermind I had the other charm. But it still isn't opening? The hell?
It's probably because you don't have enough masks. The blue lights will count your blue masks for you, so you can see exactly how many more you need. Joni's Blessing increases your health by 50%+1, and turns all health into lifeblood. Lifeblood Heart gives you a further two masks. Fragile Heart gives you two regular masks (meaning +3 blue masks with Joni's). If you stack all that and don't have enough lifeblood to open the door, you need to upgrade your health or collect some lifeblood from cocoons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

neat. didn't know about the joni's blessing + hiveblood combo. missed out on grubberfly's elegy + grubsong boosting the amount of soul you gain when you take a hit though.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I love how the dream shield just deletes the mantis lords projectiles

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think they added combos with weavers in the last big update too. they move a lot faster with sprintmaster and they give you a tiny bit of soul every time they hit something with grubsong which seems crazy good

here (has spoilers in it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_MvwZkGlg&t=118s

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 8, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

YES EAT MY FARTS WATCHER KNIGHTS

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I probably should have just called it quits after finishing the game. All of the optional late game stuff is sort of miserable and slamming my head against it is just making me like the game less but I can't stop myself from trying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

I probably should have just called it quits after finishing the game. All of the optional late game stuff is sort of miserable and slamming my head against it is just making me like the game less but I can't stop myself from trying.

Counterpoint: The super tough optional DLC bosses are extremely cool, good and fun and beating my head against Nightmare King Grimm may be the most I've ever enjoyed this game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
When is this freakin DLC coming out already. I cant start another play through of this massive rear end game until all the content is there

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are they gonna make a sequel or a spiritual sequel?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Are they gonna make a sequel or a spiritual sequel?

They're working on dlc for HK right now. I don't think we know anything concrete about whatever else they might be working on. Given the size of the studio (two dudes), and the fact that this game was delayed for like two years, any new game by these guys is probably a long way out.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

honestly the entire game is actually too easy

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

romanowski posted:

honestly the entire game is actually too easy

You can always go Steel Soul mode if you want a challenge!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There is a mod that makes it harder

https://github.com/5FiftySix6/HellMod posted:

* 1/2 Nail Damage
* 2x incoming damage
* 1/3 max SOUL
* 1/2 SOUL collection
* no SOUL collection while your shade is alive

And another mod that makes your only attack method dashing through enemies, which is a bit trickier than normal but fun too. Gives you the dash from the start and some pins improve it further.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Let me guess. White Palace? if thats the case it's worth it to slug your way through a little bit longer. The true final boss is an amazing fight and it's worth it. Though theres a good chance you'll die more to her than you did to white palace or any of the dream bosses (Barring Nightmare King and Perfect Zote) but it's worth it. It really is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I cheated and looked ahead because I had to know, but thank goodness I'm stuck on the final portion of Path of Pain. I can do this knowing it's almost over. I'm going to do this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HAHAHA wtf

Ok. So I didn't look that far ahead and the two loving Kingsmoulds wrecked me, as I wasn't fully healed , and I'm back at the very beginning. So good news I can play another freaking game and forget this bullshit for a few days. WOW. Just wow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you could just not do it. it gives absolutely nothing, not even completion.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it gives you a little journal entry that says “this person is an idiot who beat the path of pain” so definitely worth it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m about a week and a half into my attempt at the path of pain. Think I’m maybe 2/3 through...

:negative:

Game owns though, I’m having a ball. I only get maybe an hour or so here and there to play. Feels so good when I finally beat a section though. This shits not for everyone...

:black101:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
I felt like I was hot poo poo after beating the path, but then someone linked me a speedrun of it and I was promptly put back in my place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnLG-JEzzU <---this spoils the entire path of pain, don't watch until you've already seen it all. defintely worth a watch afterwards tho, it really is impressive how far you can push the movement system in this game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JuniperCake posted:

Let me guess. White Palace? if thats the case it's worth it to slug your way through a little bit longer. The true final boss is an amazing fight and it's worth it. Though theres a good chance you'll die more to her than you did to white palace or any of the dream bosses (Barring Nightmare King and Perfect Zote) but it's worth it. It really is.

It's the Dream Bosses actually. I can't get into White palace until I kill one of them because I'm like 150 shy on essence . I actually haven't tried slug head guy so maybe I should do that. But I've died to Soul Tyrant like 100 times. He seems doable but I just can't finish the job I've also died a shitload to the knight and I don't really have any strategy other than face tanking him. Seems like he has a ton of health.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

HAHAHA wtf

Ok. So I didn't look that far ahead and the two loving Kingsmoulds wrecked me, as I wasn't fully healed , and I'm back at the very beginning. So good news I can play another freaking game and forget this bullshit for a few days. WOW. Just wow.

i will say that my first runthrough of the path of pain ended more or less like this, where i was pounding an entire pot of coffee while spending an afternoon going through it and was so jittery by the end when the surprise showed up i accidentally clicked outside the window and by the time i rectified the situation my overcharmed rear end had been beaten within an inch of its life and died immediately thereafter

the next day after a good nights sleep and proper measures taken i beat the whole thing start to finish in about 45 minutes. don't give up!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It's the Dream Bosses actually. I can't get into White palace until I kill one of them because I'm like 150 shy on essence . I actually haven't tried slug head guy so maybe I should do that. But I've died to Soul Tyrant like 100 times. He seems doable but I just can't finish the job I've also died a shitload to the knight and I don't really have any strategy other than face tanking him. Seems like he has a ton of health.

The one you haven't tried is the easiest one lol

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

you could just not do it. it gives absolutely nothing, not even completion.

Yeah but I like the platforming challenge, it's definitely making me want to finish up the last C-sides I have to do in Celeste.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

So I know maybe this goes against the spirit of this thread trying to encourage people and give them advice, but... you've made a whole lot of posts in the last couple weeks about how frustrated you are with this game and maybe it would be best if you took a break. If your previous posts are anything to go by, you are not going to like the White Palace, and you are really, really not going to like the real final boss.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know that. Hence my post saying that I've been doing it despite my common sense telling me to quit.

90% of the time I bitched about the game I'm just venting. I complain online when I get stuck in games because it's cathartic. If that's annoying to people I'm sorry, I can't help myself lol. But this end game stuff is legit not very enjoyable to me and I have no idea why I'm doing it other than to show myself I can. I'm honestly not that good at 2D games and there is just poo poo in this game that feels like overkill. Like, 90% of the difficulty felt really good but some of this poo poo seems like it's for masochists.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 9, 2018

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
if you cant beat a boss look at some people doing 100% playthroughs online and marvel at their efficiency and try to mimic what they do. A lot of minute moving, doging and learning of the boss patterns. Soul tyrant for example, was one of the easiest dream bosses for me because if you know when its safe to heal, you can pretty much heal 1-2 masks every other cycle, meaning you can play around with his mechanics pretty much indefinitely with no punish as long as you dont take more than one mask of damage.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I found slug head guy to be the easiest dream boss. You can manipulate his behavior a bit and use that to make the fight easier. He's probably the most brute forcable one, especially if you use a powerful spell combination with charms and then use his on the ground state to refill your soul with the dream nail, if you get a good rhythm you can basically nearly stunlock him. But yeah don't get too frustrated, the game gets more difficult from here so definitely don't go for it if you aren't having fun at all.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

I have bad news. While the dream bosses are pretty tough, they are significantly easier than the true final boss of the game and the final boss of the Grimm Troupe DLC. If you find them difficult to the point of ruining the game for you, it's only going to get worse

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

I know that. Hence my post saying that I've been doing it despite my common sense telling me to quit.

90% of the time I bitched about the game I'm just venting. I complain online when I get stuck in games because it's cathartic. If that's annoying to people I'm sorry, I can't help myself lol. But this end game stuff is legit not very enjoyable to me and I have no idea why I'm doing it other than to show myself I can. I'm honestly not that good at 2D games and there is just poo poo in this game that feels like overkill. Like, 90% of the difficulty felt really good but some of this poo poo seems like it's for masochists.

I'm right at the end of my first play through and got hung up pretty good on a few late bosses along the way too, particularly Traitor Lord and Soul Tyrant. There were a couple of things that really helped me during big difficulty spikes. First was when I got Shade Cloak, especially paired with Sharp Shadow. I've played over 40 hours of Dead Cells and I didn't realize how instinctive it had become for me to dash/roll through and attack from behind.

Second thing. Have you tried a full-on companion gimmick build yet? This was fun and got me through all the tough endgame bosses right up to the finale, which is where I am now. Here's what I did:

Glowing Womb
Weaversong
Grimmchild (I was up to Level 3)
Grubsong
Defenders Crest
Lifeblood Core/Heart or whatever else you like depending on Notches (or drop Defender's Crest and take Joni's Blessing if you need more health)

Putting Grubsong in there gives a constant trickle of Soul from the weaverlings that then fuels the hatchlings. Defender's Crest adds some extra damage to the mix. With this setup, you can just focus entirely on dodging and only use the nail when you feel 100% safe. The damage comes slower than what you can produce yourself, but it accumulates surprisingly fast. I still died a couple of times with this build, but I never got stuck again all the way through the end. There are one or two bosses where this doesn't work, like Uumuu obviously, but it's viable with most of them.

Hollow Knight has been such a great experience for me. I love the variety of Charms and the options they open up when you stop being dependent on your favorites and mix them up a little bit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It's not masochistically hard... well except for the Path of Pain. That's some bullshit. The rest of it is challenging but fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I probably just stink at it. My brain can only handle so many projectiles at once and I chronically jump the wrong way or jump into poo poo under pressure. Most of the game was just at the point where I can handle it just fine, but it eventually pushes past that.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Second thing. Have you tried a full-on companion gimmick build yet? This was fun and got me through all the tough endgame bosses right up to the finale, which is where I am now. Here's what I did:

Glowing Womb
Weaversong
Grimmchild (I was up to Level 3)
Grubsong
Defenders Crest
Lifeblood Core/Heart or whatever else you like depending on Notches (or drop Defender's Crest and take Joni's Blessing if you need more health)

Putting Grubsong in there gives a constant trickle of Soul from the weaverlings that then fuels the hatchlings. Defender's Crest adds some extra damage to the mix. With this setup, you can just focus entirely on dodging and only use the nail when you feel 100% safe. The damage comes slower than what you can produce yourself, but it accumulates surprisingly fast. I still died a couple of times with this build, but I never got stuck again all the way through the end. There are one or two bosses where this doesn't work, like Uumuu obviously, but it's viable with most of them.

yeah I was most recently using glowing womb/defenders crest/grubsong and it's super useful. The only downside being that the flies are such a soul sink I'd end up with nothing to heal with in the brief moments of respite.

I've gotten close probably a half a dozen times but I always end up dropping into the pit with like 1 health and I'll get nailed. Then there was the other 95 times I didn't even get to the second phase.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, he was the hardest of the three for me. I got through with that gimmick build just standing in the right hand corner and jumping and dashing to dodge. That worked out nice because when he crashes through the floor you end up far enough right that you don't fall in with him. That way you're guaranteed time to heal before jumping down.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 9, 2018

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I think I probably just stink at it. My brain can only handle so many projectiles at once and I chronically jump the wrong way or jump into poo poo under pressure. Most of the game was just at the point where I can handle it just fine, but it eventually pushes past that.

yeah I was most recently using glowing womb/defenders crest/grubsong and it's super useful. The only downside being that the flies are such a soul sink I'd end up with nothing to heal with in the brief moments of respite.

I've gotten close probably a half a dozen times but I always end up dropping into the pit with like 1 health and I'll get nailed. Then there was the other 95 times I didn't even get to the second phase.

if you're still referring to soul tyrant, one of his attacks gives you plenty of time to heal one or two masks as long as you have quick focus equipped. it's the attack where he moves from one side of the room to the other with the projectile things circling around him, then disappears and the projectiles move back across the room. iirc you have to dodge them on the first pass but when they come back around you can safely stand in the middle of the room and heal without getting hit

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You don't need quick focus to heal two masks during that attack. Run to the opposite wall of the arena, and then to hop over the one closest orb. After that you're completely safe and have time to heal two masks or hit him again and heal one. e: The left side is safer than the right side, don't try to hit him a second time when you run to the right.

e: You might have time for three masks if you have quick focus but I've not tried it.

Darox fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 9, 2018

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

well heck even better. it's been a while now since I fought that boss so I can't remember exactly how much healing I was doing but I often had quick focus equipped for boss fights anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Quick Focus and Shape of Unn makes healing on nearly every boss in the game very easy once you learn which attacks allow it.