Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

jabby posted:

The media decide whether or not they let themselves be 'managed'. It is entirely within the power of journalists to look at what Theresa May is doing and say 'you aren't answering our questions and are actively avoiding scrutiny. Also you lied about a bunch of stuff', but they don't. Instead they nod and smile when the microphone is taken away from them before they can ask a difficult question and go write an article about how amazing Theresa May is at managing the press.

You're right of course, but a good opposition can manipulate the press into asking these questions. Every single time Corbyn or a member of the shadow cabinet is on camera they should be mentioning "Lying Theresa May," every single time she ducks a question a labour source should be somewhere saying she ducked the question because she's either a liar or incompetent.

The one thing the papers want more than a Tory government is more money. At the moment there's no interesting narrative about Theresa May, but there is one about Jeremy Corbyn, which is "Communist Grandpa who's in over his head." A more media savvy labour office would spend time ensuring that every single interview by every MP as part of the party cast Theresa May as an incompetant liar trying to herd a band of fascist lemmings. If you make that the story that people want to read about then that's the story the papers will flock to because nothing beats cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/861992523455242241

Adam Boulton acting like an absolute bell. Sarah Champion deals with him pretty well

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand they hit you based entirely on your household income which probably means your parents' income which may not have any bearing on your income after you've already got them.

Education should be free to use and funded by taxing the wealthiest in society who may or may not be graduates and whose wealth may or may not be generated by graduates. There is no good reason to have tuition fees any more than there would be to charge people for using the NHS.

If you're talking about the repayment method then I see absolutely no reason why the government should be expected to guarantee debt with interest in lieu of paying for the service up front.

To clarify.

I wish to god university could just be free and anyone could go and I wish that could be done by taxing the rich more. Hell that would impact my own income significantly, but I don't mind earning less so anyone can go to uni. (I reserve my right to grumble about how much pay I lose to the taxman though)

However, I don't think higher taxes are a palatable public option because people suck. Given that, I think a strong way of getting more poor people to university is through a fee that redistributes income from grads who are doing well to either grads doing poorly or to learning at a Key Stage 1-4 level where often the education gap between people who are well off and those who are not generally develops.

Edit: It was my mistake for not mentioning funding assumptions initially.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It worked fine before 1998.

Ultimately fees are dumping tax load on people in the vicinity of the median earning range instead of on the rich cunts who benefit most in the country and I see no reason to support that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 10, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

OwlFancier posted:

It worked fine before 1998.

Ultimately fees are dumping tax load on people in the vicinity of the median earning range instead of on the rich cunts who benefit most in the country and I see no reason to support that.

Okay but prior to 1998 a number of universities were claiming that underfunding meant that they were struggling to compete on a global stage. You can rubbish those claims and if you do fair enough, but I'm naive enough to believe that the universities weren't lying.

Both of us agree that the rich should pay for the poorest. Unfortunately it's really goddamn difficult to make the rich pay whilst retaining public support. (Because this country is a gigantic shitshow). Absent that ability, I'm happy for median earners to subsidise the poor.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the explicit and implicit rationale of fees was to increase intakes. globalstagery was a sideshow. foreigners pay full fare.

one should define 'rich', in sense of a binary "should net fund, rather than net benefit from, public transfers". upper third? upper fifth? upper 1%? upper 0.1%?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ronya posted:

the explicit and implicit rationale of fees was to increase intakes. globalstagery was a sideshow. foreigners pay full fare.

one should define 'rich', in sense of a binary "should net fund, rather than net benefit from, public transfers". upper third? upper fifth? upper 1%? upper 0.1%?

I'd define rich as those who by income hit the higher rate tax band.

I'm unsure of a good measure of wealth by which to define rich.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

OwlFancier posted:

Education should be free to use and funded by taxing the wealthiest in society who may or may not be graduates and whose wealth may or may not be generated by graduates. There is no good reason to have tuition fees any more than there would be to charge people for using the NHS.

Education should be free, certainly. Subsidising the drinking budgets of feckless youth in manchild daycare for three years before they drop out of a Media Studies course should not.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Corbyn rally in York was good. Got a pile of LaRouche literature from some Citizens Electoral Council of Australia people. Australians in York handing out leaflets in support of American banking legislation.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kapparomeo posted:

Education should be free, certainly. Subsidising the drinking budgets of feckless youth in manchild daycare for three years before they drop out of a Media Studies course should not.

Do all right wing people read from the same lovely script?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Paperhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/861992523455242241

Adam Boulton acting like an absolute bell. Sarah Champion deals with him pretty well

Sarah Champion always seems wonderful, is there a reason she doesn't get talked about for the leadership?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kapparomeo posted:

I'm sure you would prefer they be indentured but you can also gently caress off, slavery boy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

They don't impact the poorest because they only hit you once you earn above £21k which isn't living like a king or anything, but is still appreciable income.

People on the lowest incomes will be, by and large, non-graduates. The median graduate salary is well above the median national salary.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So effectively the abolition of tuition fees allow the middle classes to do better at the cost of income to the state that could be distributed to the poorest and they're not proven to have a significant impact on university application. Even if they were, the very cash channeled from the rich fucker who earns £100k at Goldman could be channeled to provide much poorer people better access to university education.

The cash would be better channelled through rising income tax. As things stand, the system does very well for the very wealthy because it's paid off the fastest (so the total repayable is the smallest it can be). The people who do worst are the people who are in the middle, those who earn enough to be paying an appreciable amount back but not enough to pay it off (or only just pay it off) before the debt expires.

When the increased university fees were passing through parliament, HEPI put out a paper suggesting that it was a worse system for the students, for the universities and for the government. It's got absolutely no advantages over the old system.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Sarah Champion always seems wonderful, is there a reason she doesn't get talked about for the leadership?

I've never seen her before. She seems really good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kapparomeo posted:

Now, I'm not fortunate enough to have attended university (I say fortunate enough, it was my fault for being a lazy poo poo in school who didn't appreciate the opportunity he had) but I can still say with some confidence that free tuition does not subsidise a student's drinking budget, you loving moron.

The added bonus is that a better educated populace can better understand the world around, are less likely to be conned by bullshit ideas like austerity and other right-wing canards. Y'know, like slavery being good for those savages in the colonies. University is a net positive for society.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
take comfort in that the left will actually be represented in parliament in the uk

we'll be lucky if we get 10 mps for our splintered left wing parties

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
higher taxes to buy tuition were and are not politically saleable, for the reason that kapparomeo put a finger on - it can only gain the political consent via a degree of control which, as OF has helpfully highlighted, is contrary to public sentiment

but the same policy objectives can be achieved with income-contingent repayment for the broad upper-middle, and means-tested tax-funded grants to perform the redistribution for the minority of cases. this was not a realization limited to technocrats in the UK, as a note

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kapparomeo posted:

Maybe if more people understood how the media worked we wouldn't have so many people like yourself, who just parrot whatever nonsense they're told

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011
Did someone say Jam? I have the man.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Free tuition works fine in England's European neighbors, like Scotland.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alertrelic posted:

Free tuition is entirely responsible for the Orange Order in Scotland, says someone. Probably.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I'm guessing it's as simple as she doesn't want it. She's also been an MP only 5 years so might not feel like she's experienced enough. She nominated Corbyn for leader, resigned in the coup but has returned to the front bench, so I guess it depends on how much the coup has poisoned her brand on the left of the party.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alertrelic posted:

It really doesn't, the SNP gutted 6th form colleges to pay for it so yeah you can have your free tuition if you get the grades which you have no chance of getting it you are working class.

Which is why Scotland does steadily worse for working class entry to uni than England.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

ronya posted:

higher taxes to buy tuition were and are not politically saleable, for the reason that kapparomeo put a finger on - it can only gain the political consent via a degree of control which, as OF has helpfully highlighted, is contrary to public sentiment

but the same policy objectives can be achieved with income-contingent repayment for the broad upper-middle, and means-tested tax-funded grants to perform the redistribution for the minority of cases. this was not a realization limited to technocrats in the UK, as a note

That's defeatist though (i know how odd in this thread). Other countres manage public funded higher tuition without being communist utopia. You might be right that in the current political clima in the UK it's not a vote winner but chasing the imagined base voter instinct gets immigration mugs and austerity 2: starve harder

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Income != Wealth - and I hope you mean "highest" not "higher" as 33k a year does not make you "rich" anywhere in the country.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Income != Wealth - and I hope you mean "highest" not "higher" as 33k a year does not make you "rich" anywhere in the country.

You literally ignored the second sentence of the post where I noted wealth was another factor and said I didn't have a decent metric by which to measure it.

Per the HMRC website the higher rate tax band of 40% stands at £45k a year income and onwards. Tax bands changed as of April this year, so the £33k figure is out of date.

Link: https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/current-rates-and-allowances

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ookiimarukochan posted:

It makes you above average so definitely in the rich range, although I guess the whole point of this discussion is that there isn't a definitive fixed point. Which is why Marxist analysis is better because you have to argue over pretty discrete categories (what capital is owned and how is it used) rather than just whether a £ notation is meaningful.

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 10, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Tuition fees are the biggest red herring in the loving world for the left. They don't impact the poorest because they only hit you once you earn above £21k which isn't living like a king or anything, but is still appreciable income. Even then, they're scaled in such a way that you're not going to be earning less if you hit that threshold.

So effectively the abolition of tuition fees allow the middle classes to do better at the cost of income to the state that could be distributed to the poorest and they're not proven to have a significant impact on university application. Even if they were, the very cash channeled from the rich fucker who earns £100k at Goldman could be channeled to provide much poorer people better access to university education.

The lib dems were loving idiots for supporting their abolition and labour are just as bad.

So someone from a rich family who pays the fees up front pays £27k while someone on a middling public sector income pays ~£80k over 30 years. Rightio.

You're a loving moron. Tuition fees aren't terrible because of their effect on just the poorest. They're terrible because they're bad for everyone except the richest.

The only red herring is claiming scrapping tuition fees is just a big bung to the middle class whilst completely ignoring we have a thing called income tax.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

namesake posted:

It makes you above average so definitely in the rich range

salary != wealth and there are large parts of the country where it doesn't make you "above average"

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You literally ignored the second sentence of the post where I noted wealth was another factor and said I didn't have a decent metric by which to measure it.

Easiest way to measure wealth in the UK is age purely becuse of how hosed up our housing market is and the way that has lead to the greatest transfer in wealth between generations in history (because so much of the average person's wealth is encoded in the property they own) - you can claim that it's unfair but it's more fair than describing someone who earns 33k - or 45k - a year as "rich" without knowing how much their housing costs (price per sq/m or whatever metric you want to use that doesn't make people living in literal castles seem poor.)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Someone who is earning £25k after university is now only paying 1% less in their marginal tax than someone older earning over £45k. It's an intergenerational flat tax for anyone on a normal income.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Get the gently caress off our streets, nazi

Is he even on our streets? I thought he was German. Can we deport him from this thread after Brexit?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stabbatical posted:

True. But how? What could possibly work, if nothing has before now?

Say that increased spending on social services means jobs. Say that it means growth. Say that it means a stronger economy.

Don't say that scroungers and invalids will lead better, safer lives. For every person who gives a poo poo, another won't and one more will be annoyed at the idea.

If the Conservatives say that Labour want to bankrupt Britain by raising your taxes and spending all the money, don't say "but people are in need!". Say that spending is good and will make us all richer. Appeal to self-interest.

It works on everyone.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

a lot of people are being called nazi itt, these days

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Spangly A posted:

Tution worked so well before, Labour are reviving the lib dem pledge. Or not. Or something else entirely.

I've not seen any interesting new metaphors about an actual left wing manifesto being written so I hope everyone's ready to hear about the manifesto being Foot 2.0 for a month

Labour's manifesto is being announced in full next week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Copula is actually a nazi afaik. Romeo is just a slavery apologist.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Looke posted:

We get a general uptick in nazi shitheads during any election, referendum, or other big political event, yes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Looke posted:

The others are just shitheads with no empathy but GC is an actual nazi that shits up the Europol thread.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

She's supporting Corbyn and would find it hard to get PLP votes because of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm unsure of a good measure of wealth by which to define rich.

Is your pile of money so large it is in effect self repleneshing (due to interest and a low risk investment portfolio) through no effort on your part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There was that whole thing the red tops dug up about her divorce and being cautioned by the police that was spun as DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SPOKESWOMEN SPENT NIGHT IN JAIL FOR HITTING HUSBAND

So not off to a great start for a leadership bid

• Locked thread