Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

all the stars are here!!!

Little St. James

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm bob burger

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It is and every human should feel that. Unless they're reprehensible or something. But my heart shatters for genuinely good people who give up or anything like that.

First off Foochs allow me to say that I don't think anybody on this planet is too good for you.
Second off: Screams in alien tongues, blood sprays from eyeballs.
Third off: So I went back and did a better job of beating Disco Elysium and...I've come to realize that if I have a problem with this game it's that it's message of hope in the face of overwhelming despair is not one that resonates with me at all. You scream into the apocalypse but the apocalypse is deaf. You're told humanity is a miracle and the power to shape fate is in our hands but I've seen what a terrible job we've done with that and have concluded that salvation lies in outside intervention. I am way too nihilist to buy anything they are selling and what's worse is that I constantly seek to have my perception of the universe challenged but everything I encounter just seems to affirm it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Cavauro posted:

i'm bob burger

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

think i'm gonna be gaming with friends instead of watching the oscars, which is good because i would get too involved and "care mad" as they say, about them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I took a big poo poo on the oscars. my cool turd will be on there if you watch it. rapidly cooling molten turdo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I haven't watched the Oscars since 2003. I have not had a horse in the ring since then. But I hope those of who who are watching have fun.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

ChrisBTY posted:

First off Foochs allow me to say that I don't think anybody on this planet is too good for you.
Second off: Screams in alien tongues, blood sprays from eyeballs.
Third off: So I went back and did a better job of beating Disco Elysium and...I've come to realize that if I have a problem with this game it's that it's message of hope in the face of overwhelming despair is not one that resonates with me at all. You scream into the apocalypse but the apocalypse is deaf. You're told humanity is a miracle and the power to shape fate is in our hands but I've seen what a terrible job we've done with that and have concluded that salvation lies in outside intervention. I am way too nihilist to buy anything they are selling and what's worse is that I constantly seek to have my perception of the universe challenged but everything I encounter just seems to affirm it.

It sounds hard to feel that way; I am sorry.

I’ve found that that hope and despair are equally true. The bigger wolf is the one you feed, but just because one is bigger doesn’t mean the other one dies. In fact, the more you try to deny something like despair or anger, the stronger it gets. They’re biological entities with roots deep in your animal brain.

Humans are all hosed up because we evolved to succeed when we work together to kill competitors. So we need community and also always look for threats.

Your struggle is real and your feelings are valid! I just like feeling hopeful and I think you might like it too.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I haven't watched the awards since Mad Max Fury Road won a bunch (and should have won more) and even then it was only to watch my personal fav director George Miller ascend the stage over and over

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My opinion on hope vs. despair is they both exist and are valid and are extremely powerful but the worst thing you can do is only feel one or the other. I honestly think an excess of hope can be damaging as well.

My advice to any dear friends is not to be afraid to get angry at despair. When I'm advocating I channel my anger into hope. I don't hope just because oh it'll work out. I hope because I'm going to smash the despair. For me, giving myself that degree of agency helps, even if it makes me sound like an anime.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Captain Magic posted:

It sounds hard to feel that way; I am sorry.

I’ve found that that hope and despair are equally true. The bigger wolf is the one you feed, but just because one is bigger doesn’t mean the other one dies. In fact, the more you try to deny something like despair or anger, the stronger it gets. They’re biological entities with roots deep in your animal brain.

Humans are all hosed up because we evolved to succeed when we work together to kill competitors. So we need community and also always look for threats.

Your struggle is real and your feelings are valid! I just like feeling hopeful and I think you might like it too.

Here's the thing. I genuinely want to feel hopeful. But I just can't make myself hope. The hope has to come from external stimuli. I need a reason to hope. Because believing in something without reason is faith. You can have faith in anything but that doesn't make it true.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

Here's the thing. I genuinely want to feel hopeful. But I just can't make myself hope. The hope has to come from external stimuli. I need a reason to hope. Because believing in something without reason is faith. You can have faith in anything but that doesn't make it true.

This is sincere advice. Try to find something you think is worth fighting, either for or against. Anything that stirs something in you. Surely there's something. Take that and hold onto it. Feel what it makes you feel. And try to channel that fire or will or whatever into other things. I know it sounds dumb as gently caress but it's how I do what I do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

After playing the Ezio collection, I'm pretty much all in for anything Assassin's Creed. Hell I even saw the movie. Guess I can add being one of the few that enjoy the modern time side stories. However, I'd wish they'd quit playing around and make a modern one tho. Splintercell but with better controls. I know you can do this. Don't be afraid.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is sincere advice. Try to find something you think is worth fighting, either for or against. Anything that stirs something in you. Surely there's something. Take that and hold onto it. Feel what it makes you feel. And try to channel that fire or will or whatever into other things. I know it sounds dumb as gently caress but it's how I do what I do.

I really want to. the fire in me died and I want it back. part of that is depression. Part of that is medication TBH. Maybe it's about time to try advocacy after all.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
oscars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uCBYt6Pe4

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that thing about smashing despair is LITERALLY a line a major anime protagonist used at one point but it's the anime of its type (what I'd call the anime equivalent of a popcorn flick) that resonates with me the most to this day and I watched it during a very formative time so I guess that makes sense

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I miss having mortal enemies that weren't abstract metaphors for undesirable social behaviors. Simpler times.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

ChrisBTY posted:

Faith is its own truth; that is what makes it faith. Hope is its own reason; that’s what makes it hope. You don’t have to have any but life is nicer when you do.

The realm of anyone’s control over their life is so limited as to be basically meaningless. Your path and choices get decided a thousand times a day before you make any conscious decisions about them. Even your existence is a crazy anomaly; one of ten million sperm hitting one egg in an ancestry of trillions of the same.

“Things” will get better or they won’t and you have very little to do with it. I decided a while ago that being miserable the whole time waiting for life to get better just to protect myself from being miserable if/when they don’t get better is only a recipe for extending misery. You’re stronger than you think you are; bouncing back is what human beings are made for.

In the meantime, helping people one on one is always a good way to feel better. If you need medical assistance w/r/t stupid depression chemicals in your head, I hope you can get it because that poo poo is important.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WatermelonGun posted:

i don’t really think it’s pretentious to say the king of comedy remade by the hangover guy was hot garbage and making mentally ill people turn into supervillains isn’t really that cool

Like over half the point of The Joker and Batman Villains is that they're mentally deranged people who are meant to serve as representatives of a psychological issue to the nth degree. I dont get where people thought the joker never was mentally ill to begin with.

Also Parasite winning Best Original Screenplay was good and cool.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Luckily I have a lot of assistance with brain chemicals, I have a very good support network and I am grateful for it. But even relative mental stability comes with a price.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

they shoulda let me have the car earlier in the game, Kakarot. Also Dragon Ball story arcs, dang. DBZ is more about Gohan anyway.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Workers of the world unite

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yea ok posted:

think i'm gonna be gaming with friends instead of watching the oscars, which is good because i would get too involved and "care mad" as they say, about them

Time with friends is always the better choice

coconono posted:

After playing the Ezio collection, I'm pretty much all in for anything Assassin's Creed. Hell I even saw the movie. Guess I can add being one of the few that enjoy the modern time side stories. However, I'd wish they'd quit playing around and make a modern one tho. Splintercell but with better controls. I know you can do this. Don't be afraid.

I know many people have hit AC burnout at this point but Odyssey for me came at a perfect time when I needed a big open world RPG having just come off a playthrough of The Witcher 3 and it hit me just right. It's now one of my favorites of all time and Kassandra is great.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I know that Red Dead 2 is an incredibly flawed, not entirely exciting game but I still adore it so much. One of the best worlds to revisit every couple of months and say hi to my friends Dutch and John and ynneL

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I know that Red Dead 2 is an incredibly flawed, not entirely exciting game but I still adore it so much. One of the best worlds to revisit every couple of months and say hi to my friends Dutch and John and ynneL

I need to get back to it. As someone who has never had a console I'm thankful I finally got open world cowboy simulator on pc.

Hopefully next time I play it I can stop accidentally hitting the pull your gun on someone button every time I try to say howdy

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NienNunb posted:

I couldn't figure out how to not accidentally shoot the butcher. Like I figured I'd go and hunt for a bit to get a feel for the controls and every dang time I ended up shooting the loving dude. I spent like two days with the game and was like gently caress it, you're trade in fodder. But it also took me 40 hours to figure out the Sword Art Online gun game was actually Really Terrible. And most of the SAO backstory stuff is pretty cringey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

THE WORLD OWNS RIGHT NOW :hellyeah:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I believe, yea ok. I believe. :pray:

conceive, believe, achieve

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:slick::hf::dance:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Parasite winning Director, Picture, and International Picture :swoon:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress YES
(I still need to watch it)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please watch it as soon as you can, it's SOOOOOOOOO loving good. It more than lives up to the hype.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've been meaning to watch it for months, I'll have to take care of that this week.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad said he thinks this is a giant gently caress you to nationalism and hell, I've never wanted him to be more right. Hell yeah.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I assume 'parasite' viciously rips down the 1% and the MPAA throwing awards at it is an endorsement of that message is what he means?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

AND Best Original Screenplay. All awards going to Bong Joon-Ho. He is now tied with Walt Disney for most Oscars received in a single night.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

I assume 'parasite' viciously rips down the 1% and the MPAA throwing awards at it is an endorsement of that message is what he means?

Parasite is to class what Get Out was to race, basically. Not remotely similar premises, but a much more stark look at the issue than what usually happens. It is extremely unkind to the 1% but it doesn't tear into them so much as highlight how lovely they can be even while trying to be nice.

e: quote ain't edit

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The oscars, they were good!!!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

More the fact that it's the first foreign film to ever win Best Picture at the height of white American panic. But that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yea ok posted:

conceive, believe, achieve

"Listen to yourself. You sound like an idiot." ' Michael Bisping