Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone said on the Discord that people were throwing baseballs on the field during innings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

davecrazy posted:

I get that but these takes are something else from reporters.

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1383246577167335433?s=20

Apparently the game was temporarily suspended due to fans throwing stuff on the field?

Did Aaron Judge literally take a poo poo on home plate or something?

Didn't the Rays go to the World Series last year? As in, "the Yankees lost to the defending AL Champions"? Why is that some federal crime to Yankees fans?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Because they don't remember the 80s.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like cubposting but meaner and with more entitlement.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Ask me about being a Don Mattingly fan in 1989.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone said on the Discord that people were throwing baseballs on the field during innings.

they should have sent hall of famer whitey ford out to try to talk some sense into them

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

From the segment of social media that I’ve observed it’s probably more to do with the way that people are watching the game. They think it’s football and they’re living and dying with each play.

Team has been mediocre to bad for sure but nothing to justify the hog behavior from last night.

If you’re a real deal baseball fan you know that a bad 13 game stretch is nothing in the big picture. But if you’re going to a game? Probably don’t know that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think a lot of it is a real superiority complex some of the fanbase has developed over teams like the Rays and Jays over the last couple of decades. So "losing to the Rays" is supposed to be some kind of indignity. They're not a good up and coming playoff team. The Jays aren't loaded with exciting young players. They're just the teams the Yankees are supposed to beat because they have for awhile. So its a "disgrace". Which is an insane thing to say about a simple baseball game.

If the Orioles ever start winning the Bronx will burn again.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

STAC Goat posted:

I think a lot of it is a real superiority complex some of the fanbase has developed over teams like the Rays and Jays over the last couple of decades. So "losing to the Rays" is supposed to be some kind of indignity. They're not a good up and coming playoff team. The Jays aren't loaded with exciting young players. They're just the teams the Yankees are supposed to beat because they have for awhile. So its a "disgrace". Which is an insane thing to say about a simple baseball game.

If the Orioles ever start winning the Bronx will burn again.

yankees fans have always been the worst part of being a yankees fan

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
After the Cardinals dropped like 13 on the Nats, I made a joke that I was looking forward to them scoring 10 runs over the next 3 games. Guess the joke's on me, they're at 2 runs over the last 2!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

davecrazy posted:

So why is Yankees twitter declaring the season over after one lopsided loss to the Rays when they're .500 and its basically 3 weeks into the season?

McMagic posts on Twitter?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wish the Yanks would have traded Clint Frazier because what they’re doing with him is criminal. Rougned Odor is starting more often than him! gently caress!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I wish the Yanks would have traded Clint Frazier because what they’re doing with him is criminal. Rougned Odor is starting more often than him! gently caress!

Poor guy’s power was stored in his hair

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

RCarr posted:

McMagic posts on Twitter?

How would you tell his posts from the rest of Twitter?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I was thinking about more Manfred rules and came up with 'a Grand Slam is a game-ending instant win, regardless of score/inning/home field advantage'. And now I'm wondering how often a team gets a grand slam and still loses.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

I was thinking about more Manfred rules and came up with 'a Grand Slam is a game-ending instant win, regardless of score/inning/home field advantage'. And now I'm wondering how often a team gets a grand slam and still loses.

I want to see Blernsball happen in my lifetime.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Half the lineup is out for covid, we lost George, and the bullpen sucks again.

All things considered we’re not that bad and I’m fine with it. I was honestly expecting a lot worse this year.

This is also roughly the jays atm

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davecrazy posted:

So why is Yankees twitter declaring the season over after one lopsided loss to the Rays when they're .500 and its basically 3 weeks into the season?
cause their season is obviously over

https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1383249410159566850

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah def, I've remained a big Polanco believer through thick and thin. Thought he was taking a lot of good at bats, hitting hard balls that found gloves, getting burned on some calls early on and eventually luck would turn. Really gratifying to see him getting some results

Polanco’s arm is cooked and hitters can turn routine singles to right into doubles at will. That’s absolutely the Pirates fault too, if they’d have taught him how to slide into bases properly his shoulder might still work.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

That's actually impressive. They haven't started, say, 0-2 since 1998?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if the cubs are going to be this bad they should be this bad with the beef lord and jon lester on the team going down with the ship.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The weird thing about this isn’t the Yankees sucking, which long may it continue, but that no one else has completely skidded off the rails yet.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Poque posted:

That's actually impressive. They haven't started, say, 0-2 since 1998?

emphasis on 'sole possession'

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's not just that they are losing, they look totally lost. They can't hit for poo poo right now, and thats being generous

This team should not be anywhere close to this bad or losing like this to the Rays

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs and braves are the sunday night game and there should be a way to flex the cubs off of national television, america has been through too much

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Carlosologist posted:

From the segment of social media that I’ve observed it’s probably more to do with the way that people are watching the game. They think it’s football and they’re living and dying with each play.

Team has been mediocre to bad for sure but nothing to justify the hog behavior from last night.

If you’re a real deal baseball fan you know that a bad 13 game stretch is nothing in the big picture. But if you’re going to a game? Probably don’t know that

Did last year's short season hypnotize people into forgetting what a baseball season is like?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kirios posted:

God the Astros are so loving awful this year

I mean it's hard to say they don't deserve it. :colbert:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Its Rinaldo posted:

Did last year's short season hypnotize people into forgetting what a baseball season is like?

It definitely must have! Even a 100 win team is going to have a stretch where they look like poo poo. People really forgot what the marathon was like and it’s nuts

Apr 7, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

All the local baseball coverage without cease is "the games are too long." Every day.

like they're being forced at gunpoint to watch the entire game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

It definitely must have! Even a 100 win team is going to have a stretch where they look like poo poo. People really forgot what the marathon was like and it’s nuts
The 2017 Dodgers were 91-36 on August 25th. Then they lost 16 of 17.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

the 1998 Yankees, a notoriously bad baseball team

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The 2017 Dodgers were 91-36 on August 25th. Then they lost 16 of 17.

Ah, I remember that. That was a crazy take-fest. And then they won the pennant.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Everyone complains about how long any game is whether its baseball or basketball. People look at a 3 hour movie with disdain too, it makes no sense

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

the 1998 Yankees, a notoriously bad baseball team
:thejoke:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Not every team can start out strong like the Seattle Mariners

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
between the Yankees, Astros and Cubs this season feels like it's full of recently-good teams crashing down to earth and I am here for it

Apr 7, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

between the Yankees, Astros and Cubs this season feels like it's full of recently-good teams crashing down to earth and I am here for it

If the Cardinals could also utterly crater this season would be 100% worth it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Knicks 'good', Yankees 'bad'

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta has called up Sean Kazmar.

He hasn't been in the big leagues since 2008. Poor dude's been toiling in the minors ever since.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1383447457950879755