Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://i.imgur.com/x9OEYiD.jpg

Apparently a half-dozen rivets are enough to attach your new strut tower repair to a flaky pile of rust.
Meanwhile, in Stuttgart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can they unbolt that part of the frame and install a new bit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://i.imgur.com/x9OEYiD.jpg

Apparently a half-dozen rivets are enough to attach your new strut tower repair to a flaky pile of rust.

Please tell me they removed the rust at least before doing that :gonk:

Cojawfee posted:

Nope. Unibody, the strut tower is part of the overall body structure.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 22, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CommieGIR posted:

RIP Porsche.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I've seen a version of that kit with structural adhesive (urethane windshield sealant) on top of the self-tappers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cojawfee posted:

That is how it gets repaired on the Porsche, except it is glued and the front boxed portion costs $20k.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommieGIR posted:

It doesn't look like it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

It doesn't look like it.

Not anymore :thejoke:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

It doesn't look like it.

I had to do this once to a caravan. Except my boss had is weld them to the metal they gave us. He had a rib get broken because as he leaned over the car a few rivets gave way and wham sham up comes the strut top. The one I welded was the last one he ever had the shop do. gently caress Dorman and gently caress Chrysler. Dorman now has a radiator fan for the traiblazer that is known to blow up and send giant chunks of thin metal flying.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

It is an aluminum strut tower that has been glued and riveted to the unibody. A replacement strut tower costs ~$300, but Porsche only sells them to "Porsche aliminum certified" repair shops. The replacement is labor intensive and along with new bonnet, paint etc. overall repair bills have been in $25k range.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

DoLittle posted:

It is an aluminum strut tower that has been glued and riveted to the unibody. A replacement strut tower costs ~$300, but Porsche only sells them to "Porsche aliminum certified" repair shops. The replacement is labor intensive and along with new bonnet, paint etc. overall repair bills have been in $25k range.

Probably a dumb question: Are owners getting their warranties to cover this?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not that it should be happening,, but all those pictures are showing aftermarket solid bearing top mounts with probably stiffer suspension, which will increase the load on the tower. So Porsche could claim that the non-approved suspension modifications caused the failure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TotalLossBrain posted:

Probably a dumb question: Are owners getting their warranties to cover this?

No. Porsche says its not their fault.

jamal posted:

Not that it should be happening,, but all those pictures are showing aftermarket solid bearing top mounts with probably stiffer suspension, which will increase the load on the tower. So Porsche could claim that the non-approved suspension modifications caused the failure.

Nah, that is stock GT4.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Quite honestly I'm surprised the bill is only $25k.

Personally I wouldn't want the car back. Who knows when the other side is about to let go, and they probably replaced it with the same exact part that failed in the first place. Seems like steel reinforcement from underneath would be required for a permanent repair.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, it seems like lack of travel, short sidewall tires, spherical strut mounts with no padding and a smaller distribution area, and large bumps add up to a cracked cast aluminum strut tower.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cojawfee posted:

Per a (pelecan parts?) Thread, the piece is replacable, but it still costs $lol because porshe and you have to replace the hood, I would assume.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

Dog's have all-paw drive and low gearing out the hole, great 60' times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPU2Pf8X79w

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

That's a border collie, basically the supercar of dogs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EightBit posted:

That's a border collie, basically the supercar of dogs.

They're the Dakar Rally car of dogs, because they can go loving anywhere at incredible speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA184Vs4Zeg

Also if they were the supercar of dogs they'd break all the time.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My ridgeback puppy can hit about 17mph chasing me on the trails. She's not even fully grown yet... :gonk:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
woah gonna need some doggo pics. you cant say that without posting pics

edit: some content i found over on r3v

money shift at the track, s50 motor

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 23, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Memento posted:

Greyhounds are in with a shout there. They're not actually that bad in terms of mean time between failure, but they are really goddamn fast for the 2% of the time they choose to be. The rest of the time they're lazy as gently caress.

Terriers are hot hatches.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Basset Hounds: The 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible of dogs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What would a civic si be in dog terms ?

I'm thinking a 3 legged shitsu, makes a lot of noise , can go somewhat quickly downhill , and is usually owned by assholes

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, in Stuttgart:

Why does that look like a casting? Did they just manage to make the steel so brittle it breaks like a casting?
I guess Germany doesn't have pockmarked, poorly maintained highways like in the good ol' US of A?

DoLittle posted:

Ah, aluminum. Makes more sense.

CommieGIR posted:

You are exceedingly optimistic.

BlackMK4 posted:

No. Porsche says its not their fault.

Nah, that is stock GT4.

Uh. If it breaks form normal driving on public roads, it Porsche's loving fault. You built it that way, gently caress you. Twats.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Memento posted:

They're the Dakar Rally car of dogs, because they can go loving anywhere at incredible speed.

holy poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Uh. If it breaks form normal driving on public roads, it Porsche's loving fault. You built it that way, gently caress you. Twats.
Nein, NEIN, you are clearly abusing ze vehicle. Cooler, two veeks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

InitialDave posted:

Greyhounds are in with a shout there. They're not actually that bad in terms of mean time between failure, but they are really goddamn fast for the 2% of the time they choose to be. The rest of the time they're lazy as gently caress.

Terriers are hot hatches.

I used to dogsit a retired greyhound. She was chill as gently caress. I'd come home for lunch and let her out in the yard...she'd take care of business, then sprint laps around the fenceline for 2-3 minutes, then come back in and resume sleeping the day away.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Labs are F-150's, Golden Retrievers are Porsche Cayennes, and Dachshunds are the VW Thing

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What's a pug?

besides an adorable horrible mechanical failure

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Door Frame posted:

Labs are F-150's, Golden Retrievers are Porsche Cayennes, and Dachshunds are the VW Thing

What are Blue Heelers? Chow chows? Because I have an odd mix...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

What's a pug?

besides an adorable horrible mechanical failure

It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Memento posted:

Ugh, I can't find a version of this without the music but I know it's out there. Sorry. This is the first video of one of those fuckers that made me go "holy poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AJJfPeBH0

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have a Golden Retriever and three Shi-Tzus. What kind of garage does that make?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Godholio posted:

I used to dogsit a retired greyhound. She was chill as gently caress. I'd come home for lunch and let her out in the yard...she'd take care of business, then sprint laps around the fenceline for 2-3 minutes, then come back in and resume sleeping the day away.

My parents have adopted a bunch of retired greyhounds and this is all correct. 45 mph couch potato is the usual greyhound description. Obligatory Top Gear greyhound challenge.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Working dogs best dogs. My ex has a Collie/Kelpie cross. I wasn't a dog person until I met that adorable menace. Damnit, now I miss having dogs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fifty Three posted:

Ugh, I can't find a version of this without the music but I know it's out there. Sorry. This is the first video of one of those fuckers that made me go "holy poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AJJfPeBH0

I'd love to have enough land to own a collie or two some day. There's nothing more satisfying than running a dog that has seemingly endless energy until it's exhausted.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Dog in the aussie video is a kelpie, or just called sheep dogs here. worth thousands a good one.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

German Shepherd's are the porches, labs as f150s work. Golden retrieves are Buicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Plinkey posted:

German Shepherd's are the porches, labs as f150s work. Golden retrieves are Buicks.

I'd maintain that Goldens are Cayennes because they're too expensive for what they are, they break easily, and are almost exclusively owned by white families.

British Leyland and the English Bulldog line up pretty well, but I want to know what pitbulls are