Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Aubrey Hodges just released the 20th Anniversary edition of PSX Doom Soundtrack, contains extended versios of the old tracks, new version of the famous intro (and outro) theme and 8 all new tracks. It's on the kinda expensive side of pricing, tho:

https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack-20th-anniversary-extended-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

Aubrey Hodges just released the 20th Anniversary edition of PSX Doom Soundtrack, contains extended versios of the old tracks, new version of the famous intro (and outro) theme and 8 all new tracks. It's on the kinda expensive side of pricing, tho:

https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack-20th-anniversary-extended-edition

Ok, weird: I was just about to post about another classic FPS's soundtrack. Well, two FPS games.

Check this out, Goldeneye OST, uncompressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_ptL90Y

Actual bass! Actual dynamics! Actual mixing!

And Perfect Dark:

https://youtu.be/mrmc1RYGSkc

It's not the entire OST for either game, but still good listening. Definitely check out the 4 minute mark in the PD vid, the credits track. That's the biggest difference for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Check this out, Goldeneye OST, uncompressed:

It's apparently not uncompressed: http://www.vgmonline.net/the-truth-behind-goldeneye-007s-uncompressed-soundtrack/

Wish I could own an entire album of the actual uncompressed music tracks, because GE and PD had such good OSTs.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's apparently not uncompressed: http://www.vgmonline.net/the-truth-behind-goldeneye-007s-uncompressed-soundtrack/

Wish I could own an entire album of the actual uncompressed music tracks, because GE and PD had such good OSTs.

Ah, well, that's good to know! Thanks! :eng101: But hey, a 'better sampled' version of the tracks directly from the composer is, to me, just as good.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Brovstin posted:

Sven Co-op 5.0 is being released this Friday in case anyone missed the news.

I would like to point out that this game is effing amazing if you have 1-5 friends who don't give a poo poo about graphics. Sven-Coop has always been a mix of themed story-telling maps and unique/emergent gameplay by hundreds of different content creators. It's a game where you can go from the original Half-Life, to the kitschy zombielands of They Hunger, to Mario themed maps, RPGs, toy world's, really whatever exists.

As a side note, one of the developers from Action Half-Life still regularly hosts and plays AHL:DC2 he's dear to the brand and hopes for AHL2 one day.

Great game for that action nostalgia trip.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, it is. I just wish there actually was a full, "uncompressed" soundtrack out there for both those games, instead of us being stuck with the lovely N64 audio chip. :v:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
The N64's audio chip was perfectly capable (multiple channels of up to 48kHz 16-bit audio). The actual problem is that you can't fit very much of that sort of audio on a N64 cartridge.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I thought the N64 didn't have a dedicated sound chip? The reason audio was so hit-or-miss was that all audio was sharing processing time on the main CPU with the actual game (or possibly the GPU, looking it up, which sounds even more ridiculous).

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Rather Dashing posted:

How active is the Thief modding community these days? Would check but on my phone. Used to play loads of excellent quality maps about ten years ago for Thief 2. They'd reached a similar point to the Doom modders in that you could arguably skip the official campaign and go straight into the higher quality custom levels.

http://thiefmissions.com is the main hub for Thief fan missions. It's not super active currently, but it has a whole bunch of missions from the last 15 years.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought the N64 didn't have a dedicated sound chip? The reason audio was so hit-or-miss was that all audio was sharing processing time on the main CPU with the actual game (or possibly the GPU, looking it up, which sounds even more ridiculous).

Not a dedicated one, but the "Reality Coprocessor" does provide most of the audio functionality (though it still does have to be partially driven by the CPU, as most dedicated sound hardware does). I don't really have enough technical experience with the N64 to know any more than that, but it still seems like cartridge size was the biggest limiting factor when it came to audio, like it was with a lot of other things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

daft punk railroad posted:

Not a dedicated one, but the "Reality Coprocessor" does provide most of the audio functionality (though it still does have to be partially driven by the CPU, as most dedicated sound hardware does). I don't really have enough technical experience with the N64 to know any more than that, but it still seems like cartridge size was the biggest limiting factor when it came to audio, like it was with a lot of other things.

Those poor, crushed, chopped up samples/soundfonts :ohdear:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Commander Keenan posted:

http://thiefmissions.com is the main hub for Thief fan missions. It's not super active currently, but it has a whole bunch of missions from the last 15 years.

Thiefmissions hasn't been updated for a while, for the very latest stuff I think you still have to poke around on the TTLG FM forum

The NewDark patch has lead to lots of super-impressive stuff being released in the last few years. It's also - whisper it - lead to quite a few extremely pretty but sprawling, cryptic and unfun levels though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Reality Coprocessor is a pretty baller name for a component.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I miss the practice of giving computer parts insane portentous names.

REALITY COPROCESSOR
EMOTION ENGINE
RAGE FURY MAXX

vvvvv Uh, excuse me, CELL BROADBAND ENGINE

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 21, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Cell microprocessor", "Blast processing"

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Beta One sounds right. That was my favorite Duke 3D level.

If we're talking about favorite Duke 3d maps, maybe someone can help me with this one:

It was a space level, where the map maker used underwater swimming to simulate moving through space. I remember you had to move from one small base to another by "swimming" through space.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Those poor, crushed, chopped up samples/soundfonts :ohdear:

I was proud of myself when I figured out the Mario 64 pan flute was the Korg Wavestation pan flute while messing around with a synthesizer app.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

See if you can count how many SNES games use the Korg M1 slap bass (you know, the one from Seinfeld). Mega Man X is one of them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

See if you can count how many SNES games use the Korg M1 slap bass (you know, the one from Seinfeld). Mega Man X is one of them.
e.g.

(I only just noticed Toby Fox is the one who made that post, too.)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
For anybody who doesn't already have it, full Quake collection on Bundle Stars with limited key availability: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/quake-bundle

I already got mine :getin:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Already own most of these either physically or through Steam already, soooooo... eh.

Seems like a good deal for whoever doesn't, though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mario 64 uses it too. And everything uses the M1 piano.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I would like to point out that this game is effing amazing if you have 1-5 friends who don't give a poo poo about graphics. Sven-Coop has always been a mix of themed story-telling maps and unique/emergent gameplay by hundreds of different content creators. It's a game where you can go from the original Half-Life, to the kitschy zombielands of They Hunger, to Mario themed maps, RPGs, toy world's, really whatever exists.

As a side note, one of the developers from Action Half-Life still regularly hosts and plays AHL:DC2 he's dear to the brand and hopes for AHL2 one day.

Great game for that action nostalgia trip.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sven Co-op is one of the best multiplayer experiences one could ever have. I'm so hyped for the v5.0 release because with the $0 pricetag it means a huge potential influx of new blood. It's a huge mishmash of every sort of multiplayer FPS fun, from grappling circuit tracks, to giant interactive carnivals and circuses, to massive firefights and warzones, and everything in between.

The best maps are the ones that are filled with secrets. There is nothing more fun than grabbing a handful of your friends and scavenging and scouting around the old goldsrc engine's architecture through bizarre and dream-like areas, crashing through walls to find yourself in a giant hot tub or launching yourself into the sky so you could find the pit drone ranch, or suddenly teleporting into a dark area full of zombies... It's pure, unfiltered multiplayer fun. No weird rules, no teamplay, just you and some friends and a massive library of bizarre and chaotically fun maps to roam.

Once I literally spent an entire summer off in High School chugging root beer barrels and playing Sven co-op Afraid of Monsters, and there was not a minute of that that I regretted.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

King Vidiot posted:

For anybody who doesn't already have it, full Quake collection on Bundle Stars with limited key availability: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/quake-bundle

I already got mine :getin:

What was the verdict on Quake 4? Probably not worth it?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Keiya posted:

Haven't played it but considering it's basically free/less than a dollar then maybe? I mean assuming you don't already own everything but Quake IV, then maybe not.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Keiya posted:

It's not a forgotten classic or anything, but it's a competent shooter. If you played Quake 2 and thought "I could go for some more of that, except prettier and not quite as good" then you would probably enjoy Quake 4.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Keiya posted:

It's good. It's by Raven Software so it will be a solid FPS experience. Nothing genre defining but good.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Wamdoodle posted:

It's good. It's by Raven Software so it will be a solid FPS experience. Nothing genre defining but good.

Pretty much what this guy said. It also has the best twist and the following section is :stonk: as gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Pretty much what this guy said. It also has the best twist and the following section is :stonk: as gently caress.

I don't know if I'll ever get around to playing it, can you explain this?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

you get captured and stroggified

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There's a point during an early boss fight where your character gets dropped.

Then this happens.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

There's a point during an early boss fight where your character gets dropped.

Then this happens.

WELL THEN.

:stare:

I think I should go play some Reelism now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iiiiit's a small woooooorld aaaafter aaaaaaaaaaaaall

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

WELL THEN.

:stare:

I think I should go play some Reelism now.

Its also a great twist, because part of your dry cynicism at the point is that the game really is this loving short because of course it loving is, its yet another cheapass FPS. :mad:

Then that happens. Then that happens. :stare:

And it turns out to be Act 1's big finish! :dance:

Hell Quake 4 almost felt too long to me in the end, but it was a good bargain-bin buy at the time. I'd defo recommend it to anyone for about £5 absolute tops.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

It's good fun, and it's also a continuation of the Quake II story.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

King Vidiot posted:

Haven't played it but considering it's basically free/less than a dollar then maybe? I mean assuming you don't already own everything but Quake IV, then maybe not.

I already own everything but quake 4, I got the id pack on Steam between Q4's release and when it was added to the pack.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Quake 4's biggest problem is that you don't get to move at real Quake speeds until you're stroggified, and the design is much more limited and setpiece-oriented, and there's even a vehicle section, and the entire first act is just a tremendous slog.

Then you get robo-legs and the game becomes fun, if not as fun as Quake 1 or 2.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The real mad genius in that Quake 4 sequence is having the other guy just ahead of you. It seems like such an obvious and effective touch in retrospect, but it really adds to the :gonk: when you're going through it for the first time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who definitely enjoyed my recent replay of doom 3 i'm sure i'd enjoy quake 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

as someone who definitely enjoyed my recent replay of doom 3 i'm sure i'd enjoy quake 4.

Ew, gross :barf:

I enjoyed Doom 3 as it's own game and I think you'll enjoy Quake 4 :)