Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How quickly we forget our benefactors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I am trying to cook dinner for a change for my wife while she is at work, how the gently caress do I prepare noodles? I got the water boiling, I dropped them in and now am cooking the poo poo out of them.

EDIT: I also took about three handfulls of angel hair noodles, was that enough?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
You might want to pull a Mrs. Doubtfire for this operation.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I got it, I remembered my mom saying something about noodles sticking to the wall so I threw some at it and they stuck. So I tried them and they were hard as poo poo so I cooked them more. Hope they aint poo poo now.

After cooking them I rinsed them with cold water to keep them from cooking more while I made the sauce.

Made some sauce from random cans of tomato and a can of tomato puree, mixed with a smidge of Italian sounding spices... Seems to be doing well.

EDIT: Also used some ground turkey, onions, garlic (smashed the gently caress out of) and a dash of profanity.

Did I do good?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

FaradayCage posted:

My local grocer started stocking Aussie beef alongside the regular stuff. It's way cheaper. $7/lb vs. 12$/lb for boneless ribeye.

Color and marbling look fine.

What's the story here?

Depends what country you are in. If you're in the US, then it's probably got a lot to do with the falling AUD, which is down about 30% from the peak a year or two ago. If you're a kiwi, Australian meat wholesalers will sometimes sell for cheap in New Zealand when they've got excess stock.

Funnily enough, it's usually cheaper to buy AU lamb in NZ instead of local, because NZ exports virtually all of its lamb overseas at a premium price.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm thinking about buying some block katsuobushi to mess around with, but the special shavers are kind of expensive for a single-use tool. Can I use my mandoline to shave it, or would that snap the blade? Google didn't turn up much.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have about 2 lbs of split Chana dal that I forgot in the back of a cupboard.

Can I somehow make this into hummus?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

EVG posted:

I have about 2 lbs of split Chana dal that I forgot in the back of a cupboard.

Can I somehow make this into hummus?

Yes. Works much better than chickpeas as it's much faster to cook. I did it with my left over chana dal and in future if I ever intend to make hummus I would be buying chana dal to make it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 6, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
double post.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I've actually only ever made hummus from canned chickpeas. I don't even remember what I bought this for- I think it was a Chana dal masala, but in not sure how else to use it up.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
As far as dried chickpeas and chana dal, I find chana dal better because no need to soak or otherwise cook for 45min.
Just chuck chana dal unsoaked in the pressure cooker 7-9min so it's a winner.

Other ways to use it up: Just cook some and also some spinach - add it to a vegetable or chicken curry instead of rice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm working out my duck recipe for Thanksgiving, but buying a whole duck where I am isn't an option. I can get ducks that are already split in half and have the wings removed, which is fine but I need to figure out how to cook it. The one I tried tonight came out the worst of both worlds, hugely overcooked and the fat didn't render out so the skin wasn't crispy. I've tried the Alton Brown steaming method before and wasn't crazy about the results. I dry brined this one, I didn't notice much difference except it being salty as hell.

My next idea is to start it in a much cooler oven (today I did 180 C for about 40 minutes then 230 for ten trying to crisp it) for a long time to render fat and then blast it at the end to crisp the skin. I'm also going to break it into breast and leg/thigh halves before I roast and cook the breast for a shorter time. Any other suggestions? Duck halves are like $2 so I can afford to experiment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have a go-to chana dal recipe that's basically: cook it with turmeric and chili powder, add some sliced green chillies in the last 5-10 minutes as well as ground cumin and coriander seed, salt and some palm sugar, then just before serving briefly fry a bunch of coconut flakes in a little ghee (and really be quick about it, they burn easily) and mix that in.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

My next idea is to start it in a much cooler oven (today I did 180 C for about 40 minutes then 230 for ten trying to crisp it) for a long time to render fat and then blast it at the end to crisp the skin. I'm also going to break it into breast and leg/thigh halves before I roast and cook the breast for a shorter time. Any other suggestions? Duck halves are like $2 so I can afford to experiment.

I think that's a great idea. I'd do at 120 C for a couple hours until it comes up to the doneness at which you like your duck. This should also help a lot more fat render. Take it out of the oven to rest covered in foil for a half hour, turn the oven up to 260 C, remove the foil and pop it in there. It should do a great job crisping the skin in 10-15 minutes but keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't char. Also, with all of that rendered fat (you may want to drain the fat prior to the crisping step), smoke may be an issue. I'd be interested in seeing some photos of the process.

Good luck!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GotDonuts posted:

I got it, I remembered my mom saying something about noodles sticking to the wall so I threw some at it and they stuck. So I tried them and they were hard as poo poo so I cooked them more. Hope they aint poo poo now.

After cooking them I rinsed them with cold water to keep them from cooking more while I made the sauce.

Made some sauce from random cans of tomato and a can of tomato puree, mixed with a smidge of Italian sounding spices... Seems to be doing well.

EDIT: Also used some ground turkey, onions, garlic (smashed the gently caress out of) and a dash of profanity.

Did I do good?

You did pretty ok!

Don't do the silly wall thing, just try one and see if it tastes good or not.

That sauce sounds okay! You can add some grated carrot if you want it to be a bit sweeter, or onions/garlic/etc if you want.

The only thing you did not-good on is when you rinsed the noodles, it'll rinse off the starch and make it harder for the sauce to stick to the noodles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm working out my duck recipe for Thanksgiving, but buying a whole duck where I am isn't an option. I can get ducks that are already split in half and have the wings removed, which is fine but I need to figure out how to cook it. The one I tried tonight came out the worst of both worlds, hugely overcooked and the fat didn't render out so the skin wasn't crispy. I've tried the Alton Brown steaming method before and wasn't crazy about the results. I dry brined this one, I didn't notice much difference except it being salty as hell.

Remove the breast only, score the skin on that and let it fry in its own fat until it is just rare. For the rest just part up and cook as a roast with some vegetables? Maybe pretty classic mirepoix and some potato or beets?

If you want to make a dish with it I just made a duck gumbo that came out super well but seems like you want to serve the bird more whole than that for thanksgiving?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=12#post452163419

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That Works posted:

If you want to make a dish with it I just made a duck gumbo that came out super well but seems like you want to serve the bird more whole than that for thanksgiving?

Yeah, it's a first experience for my Chinese friends so I'm trying to do something recognizably traditional but good. But now I've remembered how much I like canard a l'orange and am thinking about doing that with the breasts and oven roasting the leg/thigh quarters.

I also found absurdly cheap duck wings so I'm going to have liters of duck stock to play with. :buddy:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You did pretty ok!

Don't do the silly wall thing, just try one and see if it tastes good or not.

That sauce sounds okay! You can add some grated carrot if you want it to be a bit sweeter, or onions/garlic/etc if you want.

The only thing you did not-good on is when you rinsed the noodles, it'll rinse off the starch and make it harder for the sauce to stick to the noodles.

It's best to cook the sauce first then get the noodles done.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I was being lazy and using the same pan. I didn't need to wash it to start making sauce :smugdog:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pile of brown posted:

A place I worked did a dish where we hydrated kombu, threw it in a blender with nori, a little rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, then mixed that slurry into unsalted butter to spread on toast.

Dang, that sounds good. Like an Asian... Vegemite... type... thing. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Wholly unrelated: where I work, they were tossing an rear end-ton of produce away because we're closed for the next 2 days. Even though I have no idea what to do with blueberries besides muffins, I couldn't watch 4 pounds of perfectly good fresh blueberries go down the industrial disposal, so I bagged them up and brought them home on impulse.

Any suggestions beyond muffins, smoothies, or just making jam out of them? I love to cook on my weekends off and am looking for something interesting to do with these fellas. What do blueberries pair with?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dang, that sounds good. Like an Asian... Vegemite... type... thing. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Wholly unrelated: where I work, they were tossing an rear end-ton of produce away because we're closed for the next 2 days. Even though I have no idea what to do with blueberries besides muffins, I couldn't watch 4 pounds of perfectly good fresh blueberries go down the industrial disposal, so I bagged them up and brought them home on impulse.

Any suggestions beyond muffins, smoothies, or just making jam out of them? I love to cook on my weekends off and am looking for something interesting to do with these fellas. What do blueberries pair with?

Pancakes, yogurt, salsa, dessert pizza or strudel if you're up to making it. I hear it can also go well as a fish glaze, but I'm not so sure about that.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

GotDonuts posted:

I was being lazy and using the same pan. I didn't need to wash it to start making sauce :smugdog:

You still should do the sauce first. Sauce will take longer and will stay hot longer, and you can drain your pasta just before it's done and then finish the pasta in the sauce (for the last minute of cooking, not the last five) to make everything hot and let everything get friendly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If making a baked ziti, can cottage cheese be used in place of ricotta?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That's how my mother always made it, so it definitely can be. The curds tend to survive baking and mixing, so you'll end up with discrete chunks of cottage cheese with a kind of whey-ish tomato sauce.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Okay, cool. I'd try draining them to minimize the whey.

Am I right to think that basically any non-emulsified sauce will freeze well?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hey food goons. The lowest flame on my stovetop is still pretty hot, and it makes it really tough to simmer things for long (>1 hour) times without burning.

Are there any techniques I can use or things I can buy to make low heat/long time cooking easier?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have the same problem. The best solution I found was to get a hot plate. They suck for a lot of cooking but for simmering/boiling type operations, they work just fine. The only other thing would be to build some sort of contraption that your pot rests on that would bring it further from the flame. That has obvious dangers if it's not well built.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

Hey food goons. The lowest flame on my stovetop is still pretty hot, and it makes it really tough to simmer things for long (>1 hour) times without burning.

Are there any techniques I can use or things I can buy to make low heat/long time cooking easier?

This is designed for that. Never used it though. There are lots of similar products.

Simmer Mat Diffuser https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W24RW8/

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

butros posted:

I have no idea what the thing is called, but my mother and grandmother both have a thick iron plate that sort of settles over the grate on a burner and puts a half inch or so of distance between the pot and the flame. Obviously this only works on gas burners. On my flat top electric range, I have to do a sort of modified double boiler to simmer at very low- I put the pot I'm using inside a massive stockpot and pour water between the two.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

If making a baked ziti, can cottage cheese be used in place of ricotta?

I've seen Mrs.Squashy replace ricotta with cottage cheese in basically every possible application, so yes. Obviously, it doesn't really taste the same, though.

Sometimes she even mixes it into her pasta with red sauce, which for some reason grosses me out a little. But hey, cottage cheese is an important source of protein for her, so... :shrug:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fresh loose queso fresco also makes a fantastic ricotta replacement. Make your own cheese

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fresh loose queso fresco also makes a fantastic ricotta replacement. Make your own cheese

I was thinking about it but the milk around here isn't great. The local stuff is weird and there is decent tasting imported milk, but it's all UHT shelf-stable which fucks up the ability to cheese it. Though maybe for ricotta it's still okay?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

I was thinking about it but the milk around here isn't great. The local stuff is weird and there is decent tasting imported milk, but it's all UHT shelf-stable which fucks up the ability to cheese it. Though maybe for ricotta it's still okay?

Ah yes, Parmalat. I wouldn't buy UHT milk again, it tastes weird. (Unless the claims about requiring less refridgeration for transport and cutting greenhouse gas emissions is true, but this might be offset by the fact that UHT milk is being transported many many more miles then domesically available stuff) Here's a rather bossy article on it, but it gets the point across: http://www.foodrenegade.com/just-say-no-to-uht-milk/ I dunno if you'd be able to cheese that.

Where do you live that the local milk is weird?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 7, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Where do you live that the local milk is weird?

Sichuan, China. There's a few brands of UHT milk here that I think taste just fine, but the temperature screws up the proteins you need for proper cheesemaking.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can I pre-heat an empty non-stick steel core pan on a glass top stove until it's cooking temperature? I frequently use it for searing and olive oil just bunches up while butter doesn't get hot enough before it starts to break down. I know this stove can warp stainless steel (burnt off all the oil when cooking a bunch of chicken once) so I'm doubly wary of heating anything with a coating.

This isn't a cheap grocery store pan either; it's a $120 Kitchenaid with a good steel induction plate that's replacing the aforementioned warped unibody Zwilling the store was nice enough to take back.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You shouldn't be bringing a non stick pan to searing temp.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan, China. There's a few brands of UHT milk here that I think taste just fine, but the temperature screws up the proteins you need for proper cheesemaking.

That would make things difficult. Are you a fluent speaker of the language? Are you near a market? Might be worth asking around for fresh raw milk.

I was watching that subtitled chinese produced series on the regional cuisine that had been recommended a few months ago, and the show on tofu was quite good. Then they started talking about 'milky tofu', and how they're basically making milk into tofu. And i'm watching and something's just like, not clicking into my brain. Milk? Tofu? Man, this process looks interesting, I wonder if I could do this at home... OH WAIT ITS CHEESE (yes I can do it at home). It was so weird how something so common to me, when presented with slightly different terminology, seems so alien.

Is that what they call cheese in china? Milky Tofu? It works, I guess.

or hey, get loose milky tofu. Salt it, use as ricotta.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 7, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

pile of brown posted:

You shouldn't be bringing a non stick pan to searing temp.
Wait, what? I'm mostly cooking tuna or swordfish on medium-high (~4 on a burner dialed at 0-6). No visible damage to the pan, no weird tastes in my food.

I have a huge cast iron griddle pan and panini plate for stuff like chicken or beef but haven't used those more than twice. I should probably get a smaller one that actually fits in my sink if even fish is going to be a problem.

[url]http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KCH212SKKM]-407503/KCH212SKKM/[/url]

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 7, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is that what they call cheese in china? Milky Tofu? It works, I guess.

My Chinese is terrible and that's putting it charitably. I wouldn't trust fresh raw milk here even if I could get it. :v:

Cheese is just transliterated phonetically. 起司, qǐsī. There are actually a couple of ethnic groups in China that have native cheesemaking traditions though so I assume their languages have different words, that's just the standard Mandarin one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

butros posted:

See if you can find a wok stand, the cast iron rings made to sit a round base wok on. I got one with an oven I bought, but you might be able to buy one where ever they sell woks. It raises a flat bottom pot about 1" and I found it helps drop the temp enough on my stove.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 8, 2015