Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Mmm... dat case... been thinking of pulling out my old desktop and throwing Esxi on there to run some VMs and practice labs, and that Rosewill Prism 500 might be just the excuse I need to finish that project

Has vmware opened up the hardware compatibility lists for esxi? Can you put it on pretty much anything these days and it will work? I thought you had to buy hardware on the HCL lists to get it it to work right, even for a homelab environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
The Trocadero in Philly is closing its doors so I got tickets to two of the last shows running at the venue, one to an artist i've been meaning to see forever, and another that I figured would be a great show anyway, being Finnish Goth Rock.

Kids by The Midnight on Cassette and Vinyl

Timeless by Desired on Vinyl

Not Pictured but I also paid my supporters club membership dues. Woo soccer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Acid Reflux posted:

When I was doing it before, all I really did was cast a bunch of aluminum junk in open faced sand molds. 6 or 7 years later now I have more ideas, and also more tools at my disposal like a 3D printer, which I can use to make casting patterns of pretty much anything I can imagine. One of my coworkers does some sculpture in her spare time and has her own little studio, and she's already offered to put a few pieces on display/for sale if I think I want to go down the artistic road.

At first though, while I get used to doing everything again, it's pretty much going to be little Han Solos in Carbonite all the way down, 'cause those are cool as hell when they're made of real metal. :)

When you get around to trying it out, could you post your experiments and results someplace? I'd happily follow that thread, or the metalworking thread if you don't want to start you own.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought a t-shirt and a sticker to support Scarecrow Video, a cool rental store in Seattle

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Must be cool to still be around.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Because I have a backpack problem

Osprey Skarab 30L

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought a t-shirt and a sticker to support Scarecrow Video, a cool rental store in Seattle

how do video rental places stay in business?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

colas posted:

how do video rental places stay in business?

Gloryholes, mostly.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Like Hobby Lobby?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Curated movie collection maybe. Your eyes glaze over when you load up netflix and see a billion things on the screen. I guess a rental place is like the equivalent of those monthly loot box subscription scams.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Selling shirts and stickers.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

This is the answer.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inspector 34 posted:

And saying you rented a thing or whatever. Same reasons music formats that are terrible in every way will never die out.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Rolo posted:

Because I have a backpack problem

Needed a new backpack to take my poo poo to work, so I'm in a similar boat.

Got one of these.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You backpack guys need an Evergoods bag. Best quality and layout I’ve seen.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

You backpack guys need an Evergoods bag. Best quality and layout I’ve seen.

Different bags for different purposes. I was just curious, so I googled the Evergoods 30L pack that’s analogous to the one Rolo posted, and the Evergoods bag is about double the weight of the Osprey Scarab 30, which makes a huge difference when hiking and whatnot.

The Evergoods packs do look like they’re pretty solid for daily life though, and I like their thoughtful design for laptops and whatnot.

Coredump posted:

Has vmware opened up the hardware compatibility lists for esxi? Can you put it on pretty much anything these days and it will work? I thought you had to buy hardware on the HCL lists to get it it to work right, even for a homelab environment.

Huh, interesting! I had no idea it was so picky, I threw it on an old desktop at work to build out a lab environment for the team and it’s happily chugging away so maybe I got lucky or it’s not as picky as it used to be :shrug:

E: Would you recommended something like KVM instead? I’m more used to type 2 hypervisors, I haven’t spent a lot of time with their bare metal counterparts.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Mar 19, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

umalt posted:

I mean, your idea is :krad: and it'll look sweet. But why were you inspired by that trash fire of a narrative?

Haha, I had no idea that thing would be so polarizing!

I actually really enjoyed the game and the narrative, I thought Detroit had some good points about how garbage humanity is, and was an interesting correlation to where we are today and how automation is replacing a lot of jobs in the economy, but it’s far easier for politicians to deflect anger and vitriol at minority groups than establish sound public policy to assist those displaced by automation. I mean, I really hated the controls, quick time crap, and lack of well, gameplay, but I wound up enjoying Detroit despite the issues. Just thought the clothing and design was pretty neat and thought that it might be fun to dick around with embedded LEDs or EL wire in a cheap nerdy hoodie.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Trabant posted:

When you get around to trying it out, could you post your experiments and results someplace? I'd happily follow that thread, or the metalworking thread if you don't want to start you own.
Absolutely! I'll post something in either the Projects or Metalworking thread when the time comes. It might be a couple of months yet... I still have to buy crucibles, make or buy tools and casting sand, start collecting more scrap metal... and wait for the friggin' weather here to warm up. But after all that is done you will most definitely see some pictures, good, bad or ugly. :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mars landing air maxes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Acid Reflux posted:

While trying to find an interesting new hobby for this summer, I decided to get back into one that I haven't done in a lot of years - metal casting. One of the big reasons I stopped doing it was because running a charcoal/coal-fired forge was an enormous pain in the nuts, so this time I'm going with propane (and possibly propane accessories):

http://devil-forge.com/gas-furnaces/38-fb1sb.html

I've been watching a few people on YouTube that have these forges and they've been doing some great stuff with them. Aluminum, brass, copper, bronze alloys... this thing is going to be way more capable than my old rig ever was. Here's to hoping I don't die a fiery molten Terminator-esque death while I relearn the whole process.

Extremely cool. I've got a large form factor SLA 3D printer on my "to loving buy ASAP" list, and they offer high wax content resin to make lost wax molds. That seems like an awesome combination with your purchase.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Extremely cool. I've got a large form factor SLA 3D printer on my "to loving buy ASAP" list, and they offer high wax content resin to make lost wax molds. That seems like an awesome combination with your purchase.
Apparently there are wax filaments for us FDM folks too, which is super cool. Definitely going to investigate that more at some point. Lost PLA seems to work pretty well though, going by the results I've seen from some of the YouTube videos. I may stick more with using prints as regular sand mold patterns for now, if only because investment plaster seems like an awfully expensive way to find out that you're not very good at this sort of thing just yet. I think I mentioned somewhere above that I only ever dabbled in open-faced metal molds before, so this will kind of be new territory for me. I have done plenty of resin casting in silicone molds... but resin is somewhat more forgiving (and a lot less burny) if you gently caress it all up. :v:

Which printer(s) are you looking at? SLA is kind of on my to-do list as well.

e: Girlfriend texted to tell me FedEx just dropped the forge off. Phase One: Complete!

Acid Reflux has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Mar 19, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bape Culture posted:

Mars landing air maxes.

Oof these are supa sick. A buddy of mine sent me the Concept x New Balance "Luxury Goods" M997 a few years ago which I've worn only a small handful of times to keep them looking pristine. They're worth like $350-400 now lol. Are you going to wear these?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shoe culture is absolutely insane to me

E. Having said that, I just bought a 200 dollar jacket from Patagonia, so I’m no better or anything.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bape Culture posted:

Mars landing air maxes.

Thats a lot of money for shoes that look like orange dog poop.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oof these are supa sick. A buddy of mine sent me the Concept x New Balance "Luxury Goods" M997 a few years ago which I've worn only a small handful of times to keep them looking pristine. They're worth like $350-400 now lol. Are you going to wear these?

Probably tbh! I’ve started wearing most of my collection these days. I just find it so fun
drat nice man that’s pretty rare. Every single concepts collab is great. I regret selling my lobsters

zapplez posted:

No it’s not

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

those airmaxes are cool af and all shoes should be worn imo, whats the point in buying sick rear end sneakers if you're not gonna stunt on erryone by wearing them

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Lots of shop shaming going on it

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I just received my Samsung Galaxy Buds in black. Pretty impressed with everything so far except for the bass and max volume.

EDIT: Turns out the buds can get much louder if you use a fairly hidden method that's not at all obvious. Everything sounds way better now.

knows a black guy has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Mar 20, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

zapplez posted:

Sorry for your poverty, peasant.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

knows a black guy posted:

I just received my Samsung Galaxy Buds in black. Pretty impressed with everything so far except for the bass and max volume.

Sound quality and volume sound like a big deal breaker for headphones?

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Well yeah but I'm a consumer bitch.

Edit: In all honesty they'll be perfect for what I need them for, primarily listening to podcasts during office work. Wouldn't recommend them for someone wanting to bump music during lawn mowing or something.

knows a black guy has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Mar 19, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Acid Reflux posted:

Apparently there are wax filaments for us FDM folks too, which is super cool. Definitely going to investigate that more at some point. Lost PLA seems to work pretty well though, going by the results I've seen from some of the YouTube videos. I may stick more with using prints as regular sand mold patterns for now, if only because investment plaster seems like an awfully expensive way to find out that you're not very good at this sort of thing just yet. I think I mentioned somewhere above that I only ever dabbled in open-faced metal molds before, so this will kind of be new territory for me. I have done plenty of resin casting in silicone molds... but resin is somewhat more forgiving (and a lot less burny) if you gently caress it all up. :v:

Which printer(s) are you looking at? SLA is kind of on my to-do list as well.

e: Girlfriend texted to tell me FedEx just dropped the forge off. Phase One: Complete!

I'm looking at the Phrozen Transform. It would save me hundreds of hours of babysitting CNC machines a year for work, and really open up some very fun projects that mostly involve buying laptop mainboards from AliExpress and putting them in custom enclosures.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

I'm looking at the Phrozen Transform. It would save me hundreds of hours of babysitting CNC machines a year for work, and really open up some very fun projects that mostly involve buying laptop mainboards from AliExpress and putting them in custom enclosures.
Wow, that thing's got almost as much build volume as my CoreXY machine! A little beyond my budget for now, but definitely one to keep an eye on.

This forge is incredibly cute. It's physically a bit smaller than I imagined, but the interior space is exactly the size they advertise. I'm looking at being able to melt about 1.5, maybe 2 liters of metal, which is way more than enough volume for anything I have in mind to start out with.

I'll stop cluttering the thread with melty metal talk, will post anything further in DIY metalworking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Having a lot of bass is hardly equivalent to sound quality, my ER-4s have... barely any and I'd still take them over almost anything else. Low volume is just thing about your hearing.

Actually make sure they're sealing well, then you really need very little volume.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love the shoe posts that go here. Those wild orange ones are cool.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Bought a passenger side fog light trim for my Focus because I looked at it after getting back from dinner and it was missing?? I have no idea how the gently caress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got really drunk at dinner and ended up with some car part in my pocket the next day, guess I purchased it at some point.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Rolo posted:

I got really drunk at dinner and ended up with some car part in my pocket the next day, guess I purchased it at some point.

:perfect:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’ve been into PC gaming since 1993, and built my own gaming rigs since Everquest: The Ruins of Kunark came out . But i’ve pretty much lost interest in PC gaming. There’s just no PC exclusives that interest me enough to spend the time and money to make a new system. I’m not into strategy, or sims, and I don’t have occulus rift or Vive.

I’d just rather play my games on the comfort of my couch, on the big screen, and not worry about bad game launches, horrible bugs, cheaters using mods, windows freezing and crashing, being distracted by other programs notifications, and being fixated on FPS and tweaking settings. Console gaming just seems more pure, straightforward, and it feels relaxing and entertaining. And having an Xbox one X, playing games with HDR and 4k, makes me even less interested in PC. I couldn’t imagine spending 200 hours playing Assassins Creed Origins at a desk and computer monitor.

But if there was a new MMO that was as great as WoW was in the mid 2000’s, i’d be ordering parts on newegg right now. But the MMO community seems to be fragmented into many games that are average, or still in beta.

For now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I’ve been into PC gaming since 1993, and built my own gaming rigs since Everquest: The Ruins of Kunark came out.

Come play Everquest with us on the new time locked progression server that just came out! It's not even a week old! :heysexy: