Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Or take a one into allied norway and work the bases. Something like 20 kills under 10 minutes isn't too shaby imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just fly a 190 A-5 and murder AAA and light vehicles.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Take any bomber with decent front guns. Any of them. It doesn't matter. The BTD or the B7A2 or whatever are great, but B25s or other planes will also work. Now go into an RB, and just go shoot every soft target you see. On some maps there are a shitload of soft targets and you'll get 20-30 points on every good map.

Leave maps without soft targets to farm.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My Britcat adventures into ground-target-grinding can confirm there are 20 AAA around the bomb zones on Norway. Just gotta survive the onslaught. Duck Mk103 is a good idea with how it chews up all kinds of tanks.

If Zhengshou would pop more often I'd B7A2 the poo poo outta that though, I need my T4s grinded.

MrLonghair posted:

Just started off a Krymsk with two kills and a P51 kill that counted as "Crashed" in my IL10. Gotta make a highlight of this replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pk9nlNEE0c

Background track from Fear Is The Key, a classic worth watching for the lengthy car chase. Junky in-game and junky OBS settings. Landed, re-armed, proceeded to bust up ground targets.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 24, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

First match with the new WIP mouse aim, and my Wildcat got 5 kills and one assist.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

chitoryu12 posted:

First match with the new WIP mouse aim, and my Wildcat got 5 kills and one assist.

I played a CARB match last night after a fresh windows install. I'm terrible at RB flying, but I wanted to give the new mouse aim a try. I died in my Sherman, then jumped into my Wildcat. I came up on an IL2 doing some strafing runs. Without targeting him (couldn't remember the button) I got in above him at his 4 o'clock, eased in and blew his wing off. I have never been able to do anything in RB that easily.

Its such an improve it but I worry I'll be going back to being garbage when everyone has it :(

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The new event does allow you to abuse a Yak-9 (first one with a 20mm) against the 109 G2:

Teams are stacked towards :godwinning:, it seems to be an arcade map (air starts) with about 8km distance at spawn in. So the battle takes place at low altitude.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
New DevBlog is up,

this time including the Attacker FB.1

M10

and M36.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I cannot wait for American TDs - pity that there are so seemingly few premium tanks in the Yank line that I'd drop dimes on in order to help with the XP grind.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I cannot wait for American TDs - pity that there are so seemingly few premium tanks in the Yank line that I'd drop dimes on in order to help with the XP grind.

The premium M-47 Tiger is really good- It doesn't really have the armor to take hits at that BR but the gun fires relatively quickly given it's power, and you're slinging M82 wondershot or 280mm pen APCR for the few times you run in to Mice.

ImNotBritish
Nov 15, 2013

Crashing the queen's finest since 1941
I was going to come back to war thunder when British tanks were going to be add, but i saw this video https://youtu.be/2cLns7bNgIA with its touching message of how anyone can be a hero, and now i'm here again.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
What is all this talk about freebie planes and missions and grinding? I can't figure out where in the game the thing you guys are talking about is.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I'll think about it, but I don't like that stupid tiger face on the front as I'm a spoiled manchild. :colbert:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Think of it as a sort of wolfshit. :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I'll think about it, but I don't like that stupid tiger face on the front as I'm a spoiled manchild. :colbert:

Plaster some big decal over it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

ComradePyro posted:

What is all this talk about freebie planes and missions and grinding? I can't figure out where in the game the thing you guys are talking about is.

They're usually announced via dev blog posts or whatever. The headlines in the game launcher can typically link you to the most recent ongoing challenges on their website.

You can also click on your name up top of the screen when you're in the hangar, then go to the Achievements tab. Any special event will be listed there and show your progress toward it. Free planes are usually done in a multi-tiered event, where each tier you complete gives you a few rewards and a progressively larger chance at receiving said vehicle.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Pretty sure that's a decal that you get as part of the tank purchase can be moved or removed. You should leave it and add three more though tbqh.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Which gun has the best sound? So far I think it's the 57mm T-34.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Like said, it's just a decal you can remove it if you don't like it or you can put it on every other tank you got in your garage if you're awesome like me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SquadronROE posted:

Oh the 105mm Sherman HVSS for sure.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'd buy Googly-eye decals that reacted with proper physics.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Teeter posted:

They're usually announced via dev blog posts or whatever. The headlines in the game launcher can typically link you to the most recent ongoing challenges on their website.

You can also click on your name up top of the screen when you're in the hangar, then go to the Achievements tab. Any special event will be listed there and show your progress toward it. Free planes are usually done in a multi-tiered event, where each tier you complete gives you a few rewards and a progressively larger chance at receiving said vehicle.

I checked all through there before posting, didn't see anything related, and I don't see anything like what you guys are talking about on the dev blog

E: nvm found it

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 24, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

I'm partial to the 88mm on the Jadgpanther, but it isn't as cool as the real one. None of the tank guns sound 'loud' or 'sharp' enough. We need some Battlefield War Tapes up in here. The big big guns ( 150+ ) should sound like the end of the world when they're fired/detonating.

It would also be pretty rad if tanks would make a big explosion sound when you ammo racked them.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Oh the 105mm Sherman HVSS for sure.

Yeah it sounds like God slamming his car door.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

ComradePyro posted:

I checked all through there before posting, didn't see anything related, and I don't see anything like what you guys are talking about on the dev blog

E: nvm found it

http://warthunder.com/en/news/3039-special-ww2-chronicles-heroes-of-the-eastern-front-en

I see you got it, but there it is for anyone else. Turns out Dev Blog stuff is purely development updates and these sort of things are listed under News. I think anything that says WWII Chronicles in the game launcher will be related to upcoming challenges.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My brother often uses the SU-152 and I can hear his kills from basically anywhere on the map. That poo poo's hella loud.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I love how distinctive the 128mm on the Maus and Jagdtiger is, but it only sounds that way to other people. For the users ears, the M103 has one hell of a thundering crack.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

mlmp08 posted:

Man I hope not, in a way. It will just increase all the "single bullet" whining unless they show the other hundred-odd rounds that hit or were near hits. That'd be kinda cool but probably not feasible.

lol when you get a literal headshot though... with a bloop cannon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Thief posted:

lol when you get a literal headshot though... with a bloop cannon.

:omarcomin:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

dude was really unconscious after that

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The PERFECT event to bring out my stock F-84!

Time to get to work, you ground loving whore.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

SquadronROE posted:

The first 85mm-armed T-34 is magical. Between it and the 57mm T-34 pubbies don't stand a chance. Because they always shove as much ammo as possible into their fat bodies.

Yeah it's just started clicking for me. The 85 has nice behind armor effect which allows you to one shot Tigers and Panthers. It can still struggle against them head on but if you play it as a flanker you can ruin poo poo really fast.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Execu-speak posted:

Yeah it's just started clicking for me. The 85 has nice behind armor effect which allows you to one shot Tigers and Panthers. It can still struggle against them head on but if you play it as a flanker you can ruin poo poo really fast.

In my Tiger II I never hesitate to head-on a T-34/85, but I will never try and close the distance with them as they are lethal up close or if given the chance to flank. The IS-3/T-32/T-46 are the only tanks that really make me worry about taking head-on as they are pretty much invulnerable if their hulls are hidden. Played a round of Mazdo and a T-32 must have taken out 1/2 my team as he had this perfect Hull down position where only his turret was showing, and he never exposed the sides of it. Had to finally use artillery as nobody could survive long enough to flank him.

I find I get the most out of playing Panthers or T-34's by using their speed to rush towards crossroads or good hidden positions where you can pop out and flank before the heavies know you are there.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Blistex posted:

T-32 T-46 T-32

Putting Communist hyphens in American tank designations is extremely unpatriotic and will be reported to the HUAC. Also the decal from the Russian T-III has a new life on this new bomber, symbolizing cooperation and bears:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Another Devblog update. This time for the Seafire Mk.XVII and Sea Hurricane Mk.1B/1C.

:britain:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 24, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Anyone got any clue what on earth is going on with the Spit 24's instructor? It spazzes out all over the place at the slightest provocation.

Bf 109 G2
http://gfycat.com/VillainousFlippantArrowana

Fw 190 D13
http://gfycat.com/SilkyJovialBoar

Tempest II
http://gfycat.com/WelloffSpitefulBigmouthbass

Spitfire Mk 24
http://gfycat.com/SneakyBigheartedGoosefish

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

WIP Mouse aim or normal?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

WIP Mouse aim or normal?

WIP mouse aim and no keyboard input.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ludicro posted:

WIP mouse aim and no keyboard input.

I've had that happen once or twice in a couple of planes since I switched. The new algorithm seems to prioritize putting your aim point on your cursor as smoothly as possible without overshooting or wobbling, so maybe that overrides "make the plane fly properly in THIS direction" in some situations where doing so would disrupt your aim too much. They'll probably tweak it a bit if it becomes a problem. When it's happened to me, I've just corrected a bit with keyboard inputs and that usually puts the instructor back on track.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Lest we forget :australia:

• Locked thread