Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Shumagorath posted:

The more things change...

IPS > VA > TN is a huge jump at each step up and has been since I got my first 17" Planar (in that weird 5:4 res I can't even remember).

1280x1024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm in the market for a 2nd monitor. Currently I have a 2080 Super with one LG 27GL850 27'' monitor (1440p 144hz IPS etc.) - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850-gaming-monitor

The 2nd monitor that I have been looking is this LG that has the same frame but lower resolution as my current monitor - LG 27GL63T-B.AUS 27 - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl63t-b-gaming-monitor \

I read online that some people have issues when using Nvidia G-Sync on your main display while having two different monitors? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Ended up making a final minute decision to grab the last LG 27GL850 at Microcenter (1440p 144Hz IPS), thanks for all the advice the last few pages.

After dicking around with it, I'm pretty blown away by the difference in IPS coming from a lovely TN. However, BF1 in particular has been giving me issues with major input mouse lag for long periods after minimizing out/in to the client and when first loading in. I have both G-Sync Compatibility and V-Sync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel as suggested from that Blur Busters article, also limiting my max frame rate to 3 fps below 144Hz. V-Sync in-game is disabled and the framerate limiter set at 200 too. But I noticed the mouse lag disappears if I disable High Dynamic Range in-game (Auto>Off, HDR10>Dolby). hosed around with different combinations but I can't get it fixed. Is HDR just not feasible with this monitor? Running on a Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2060 and 16GB of RAM.

Liquid Banjo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 12, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Liquid Banjo posted:

Ended up making a final minute decision to grab the last LG 27GL850 at Microcenter (1440p 144Hz IPS), thanks for all the advice the last few pages.

After dicking around with it, I'm pretty blown away by the difference in IPS coming from a lovely TN. However, BF1 in particular has been giving me issues with major input mouse lag for long periods after minimizing out/in to the client and when first loading in. I have both G-Sync Compatibility and V-Sync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel as suggested from that Blur Busters article, also limiting my max frame rate to 3 fps below 144Hz. V-Sync in-game is disabled and the framerate limiter set at 200 too. But I noticed the mouse lag disappears if I disable High Dynamic Range in-game (Auto>Off, HDR10>Dolby). hosed around with different combinations but I can't get it fixed. Is HDR just not feasible with this monitor? Running on a Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2060 and 16GB of RAM.

It can accept HDR signals but display them? That's an entirely different issue. The monitor doesn't even cross the HDR 400 certification that even HDR snobs say is worthless. Just leave it off.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Taima posted:

48 inch coming for 1500 in June. Value prop isn’t fantastic but it’s an option.

Personally I just hook my rig up to a desktop monitor for regular pc things and games that require a mouse, while using the 65 inch C9 as a second monitor for controller-based gaming.

Most of my gaming involves a controller so it works well for me, YMMV.

At $1500 it's really a non-starter for me and a lot of folks, though I imagine it will be available for much less (perhaps, corona and the tenuous nature of the world economic system notwithstanding). Right now I use a 40" 4K samsung I got on clearance at walmart for $150 as a monitor. It's pretty good but I do a lot of ps/premiere and the color/contract could honestly be better so I end up defaulting to my older Korean 1440p IPS, even though I like the size. I'm not really sure about going bigger or on spending $350 for a 27" non OLED so I'm biding my time. Do you do any graphical work on the C9 and how concerned do you feel about burnin for standard use?

edit: I think the CX48 is really the elephant in the room, if burn in and pricing both end up being favorable over the next year it has a huge amount of potential to disrupt the whole market if things fall into place.

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It can accept HDR signals but display them? That's an entirely different issue. The monitor doesn't even cross the HDR 400 certification that even HDR snobs say is worthless. Just leave it off.

Figured that was the case, thanks for the reply. It's very weird that otherwise input is fine eg. keyboard. HDR color gamut looked beautiful at a lower gamma setting but otherwise not too crazy over being disabled.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Busy Bee posted:

I read online that some people have issues when using Nvidia G-Sync on your main display while having two different monitors? Is this something I should be concerned about?

On Windows at least, video content on one monitor will cap the other monitor to the same refresh rate. I believe it's more a problem with having a non-g-sync monitor and a g-sync one since the monitors won't sync to stuff like youtube videos anyways. It's been fixed recently but I can't remember if they rolled it out or if it'll be a part of the next major windows update.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tyty posted:

On Windows at least, video content on one monitor will cap the other monitor to the same refresh rate. I believe it's more a problem with having a non-g-sync monitor and a g-sync one since the monitors won't sync to stuff like youtube videos anyways. It's been fixed recently but I can't remember if they rolled it out or if it'll be a part of the next major windows update.

I have a primary g-sync 144hz monitor and a secondary non-gsync 60hz monitor, running the normal windows 10 updates (not in beta), 2080ti, media on my secondary monitor doesn't cap my primary monitor at all, BUT the volume overlay windows uses (the little black and blue bar in the top left) caps my framerate to something really horrible until it times off the screen. If I'm playing a game and want to adjust my volume I basically have to wait until I'm going to be safe for 5 seconds because it drops the FPS to like 30 or 24 or something.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have been trying to find an Asus VG27AQ in stock somewhere in the UK for like 3 weeks now. Everywhere is sold out!

Any tips on where to find one? Or any tips on a roughly equivalent gaming monitor I could get instead?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Liquid Banjo posted:

Figured that was the case, thanks for the reply. It's very weird that otherwise input is fine eg. keyboard. HDR color gamut looked beautiful at a lower gamma setting but otherwise not too crazy over being disabled.

It's not because of that. It's almost certainly some kind of weird BF1 engine issue. :dice: gonna :dice:

Not that HDR400 is worth anything, but it's not the cause of the problem.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I was somehow able to get a LG 27GL83A so that's neat. Still waiting to ship though.

I'm also in the market for a portable monitor for video games and other similar nonsense and I was kinda eyeballing this one but I wasn't sure if anything better was out there. It's gotta have HDMI and some form of USB charging.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RGPCQG1/

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Does any kind goon know if there are any monitors out or forecasted to come out with the following specs:

24 inches
IPS panel
144hz - 240hz
1440 - I know this is ‘dumb’ and maybe even considered a gimmick!

I’m basically looking for a updated ‘gaming’ monitor to play CSGO / Valorant along with all those other trendy games like LOL, SFV and Minecraft. I’m also planning to use it for work and general web browsing. My budget is around $600.00.

I know that the 27GL850 / 27GL83 are popular recommendations but I’m concerned that 27 inches will be too big for FPS games and that the contrast ratio leaves blacks too grey. I was also looking at Asus VG259QM
which is 24 inch IPS and at 280hz but not 1440. I realize that 1440 is more or less dumb given the size and pixel density but it’s sort of a wish list of features! Any other goons run into a similar pickle or am I alone in my oddly specific monitor demands?

Ample fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It's no more dumb to want a 24" 1440p than it is for people to want a 27" 4k or whatever: higher pixel densities make everything look nicer (until Windows scaling fucks it up, but that's a separate issue).

Sadly, the monitor you want doesn't exist yet. For whatever reason, the powers that be have resisted making 24" 1440p IPS monitors basically at all, let alone at >144Hz. If you want 1440p IPS you need 27". The Dell S2417DG is 24" 1440p 165Hz, but is a TN panel, which is what I'd go for if you had to stay at 24".

That said, given your use cases, I'd absolutely go for 27". I think most people find it fills your visual area nicely without being so large that you need to look around/move your head. It's one of the reasons that it's rapidly becoming the new default monitor size, now that you're not really paying much of a premium over the 24" ones.

The contrast ratio for the LGs is a little worse than normal, but not terrible. If you're really concerned, you can try to find a Nixeus or PG279Q, both of which have better contrast.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

DrDork posted:

It's no more dumb to want a 24" 1440p than it is for people to want a 27" 4k or whatever: higher pixel densities make everything look nicer (until Windows scaling fucks it up, but that's a separate issue).

Sadly, the monitor you want doesn't exist yet. For whatever reason, the powers that be have resisted making 24" 1440p IPS monitors basically at all, let alone at >144Hz. If you want 1440p IPS you need 27". The Dell S2417DG is 24" 1440p 165Hz, but is a TN panel, which is what I'd go for if you had to stay at 24".

That said, given your use cases, I'd absolutely go for 27". I think most people find it fills your visual area nicely without being so large that you need to look around/move your head. It's one of the reasons that it's rapidly becoming the new default monitor size, now that you're not really paying much of a premium over the 24" ones.

The contrast ratio for the LGs is a little worse than normal, but not terrible. If you're really concerned, you can try to find a Nixeus or PG279Q, both of which have better contrast.

I have the above mentioned 24 inch dell and love it aside from dark colors looking awful. I'm sticking to it for the long run since the gaming monitor market seems to have a disdain towards 24 inches.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
The 27GL850 is about the best bet for a 27" monitor for gaming and Photoshop currently yeah? I see an open-box for $450 seems like a slammin deal?

I haven't bought a high end monitor in years because I always had one at work, but lost my job and uh yeah.

Validate me or give me a better option please.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ddogflex posted:

The 27GL850 is about the best bet for a 27" monitor for gaming and Photoshop currently yeah? I see an open-box for $450 seems like a slammin deal?

I haven't bought a high end monitor in years because I always had one at work, but lost my job and uh yeah.

It's good, but if you're going to do a lot of Photoshop you might want to look for one of the others I mentioned with a better contrast ratio.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

It's normally a ~$700 monitor, so if you can get one for $450 that is a great deal. Just be sure it's actually the right monitor--there are other similarly named ones that are cheaper, like the 27GL850-W (4k@60 for $500).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DrDork posted:

It's good, but if you're going to do a lot of Photoshop you might want to look for one of the others I mentioned with a better contrast ratio.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

It's normally a ~$700 monitor, so if you can get one for $450 that is a great deal. Just be sure it's actually the right monitor--there are other similarly named ones that are cheaper, like the 27GL850-W (4k@60 for $500).

27GL850 retails for $499.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

27GL850 retails for $499.

If you can find it actually available at MSRP, great. It goes out of stock almost immediately when it's up for <$500. $650-$700 is where it's been sitting at Amazon and such thanks to that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ddogflex posted:

I'd think real hard about buying an open box gaming monitor as there is a strong chance it was returned for dead pixels/backlight bleed/other critical issues that you wouldn't want in a monitor that is still almost half a thousand dollars. I've bought some solid refurb monitors but I would give open box a pass.

Also, if you do tons of graphics work, there is a use-case for something like the XB271HK or XV273K 4K monitor, although these will be much harder to drive in gaming.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd think real hard about buying an open box gaming monitor as there is a strong chance it was returned for dead pixels/backlight bleed/other critical issues that you wouldn't want in a monitor that is still almost half a thousand dollars. I've bought some solid refurb monitors but I would give open box a pass.

Also, if you do tons of graphics work, there is a use-case for something like the XB271HK or XV273K 4K monitor, although these will be much harder to drive in gaming.

That's a really fair point. I've never had an issue with literally any open box item, but that's a possibility for sure.

I'm definitely open to different monitors, and 4K wouldn't be terrible, altho I only have a 1070. I wouldn't be against a bigger monitor either, 2k 27" just seemed like a price/performance sweet spot.

edit: Basically I wanna get the most I can with ~$500.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'd say 27" 1440p if you care more about gaming, 4k if you care more about Photoshop. *sync does help smooth out lower framerates a bit, too, so a 1070 might do a little better than you'd think. It's certainly not an ideal 4k card, though, by any means.

Paul's right about the open box concerns; I'd assumed you were getting it from somewhere local you can return it to. If that's not the case (or it's from Amazon, who has great return policies), then I'd probably give it a pass, too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DrDork posted:

If you can find it actually available at MSRP, great. It goes out of stock almost immediately when it's up for <$500. $650-$700 is where it's been sitting at Amazon and such thanks to that.

I've done it. Twice last week. Cancelled both before deciding to get the 27GL83A instead. It sells out slower than the 27GL83A does, it can be had at its retail price. Do not overpay for a monitor (or anything really), what the gently caress?

Edit: Can even get on a backorder from BHPhoto if you wanted: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488890-REG/lg_27gl850_b_27_ultragear_nano_ips.html

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 13, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DrDork posted:

I'd say 27" 1440p if you care more about gaming, 4k if you care more about Photoshop. *sync does help smooth out lower framerates a bit, too, so a 1070 might do a little better than you'd think. It's certainly not an ideal 4k card, though, by any means.

Paul's right about the open box concerns; I'd assumed you were getting it from somewhere local you can return it to. If that's not the case (or it's from Amazon, who has great return policies), then I'd probably give it a pass, too.

I definitely want *sync, I have no desire to upgrade my graphics card right now. Yeah it was from Best Buy, they cancelled the order tho so lol. Still looking!

nerox
May 20, 2001
I guess this is the best place to ask. What’s a good desk clamp style mount that will hold 2 24” monitors and allow one to rotate 90’? Cheaper is of course better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

nerox posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask. What’s a good desk clamp style mount that will hold 2 24” monitors and allow one to rotate 90’? Cheaper is of course better.

I personally got this direct from Mount-It!. They also sell on Amazon, but it was cheaper through them plus I used a 10% off first order coupon and paid $86.87 after taxes with free shipping. Ordered it yesterday and got it this morning. Amazon reviews seemed fine. Gonna set it up this weekend along with my standing desk. Looks like they have a smaller model for less money too. I got this one for the different clamp style where you tighten from the top rather than under your desk.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've been using a Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for a week now (coming from a 24" Dell) and have been pretty impressed. Super nice picture that didn't require much tinkering out of the box. Having more pixels is nice for side-by-side windows, and nicer for cleanly integer scaling old games.

My DisplayPort cable just arrived today so I was finally able to check out G-Sync for the first time. It's pretty amazing! I mostly just ran around gawking at Assassin's Creed Origins and the difference was remarkable. In the Nvidia control panel I chose "Enable for full screen mode" so I'm not sure if G-Sync is active if I'm not in a full screen game, or if having it active while using the desktop would be a bad thing.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I've been using a Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for a week now (coming from a 24" Dell) and have been pretty impressed. Super nice picture that didn't require much tinkering out of the box. Having more pixels is nice for side-by-side windows, and nicer for cleanly integer scaling old games.

My DisplayPort cable just arrived today so I was finally able to check out G-Sync for the first time. It's pretty amazing! I mostly just ran around gawking at Assassin's Creed Origins and the difference was remarkable. In the Nvidia control panel I chose "Enable for full screen mode" so I'm not sure if G-Sync is active if I'm not in a full screen game, or if having it active while using the desktop would be a bad thing.

You can enable G-Sync for both full screen and windowed and it will be just fine.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

so i got a freesync monitor and it's all working great.

settings wise, are there any tips or a guide or something?

eg. should i enable v-sync? if i do should i do it in the amd panel or in game? anything else?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I switch input sources a lot, e.g. from HDMI1 for my laptop to HDMI2 for my desktop, or Displayport to DVI.

I have a Dell U2311H and a Acer XV272U. Both require 3 or 4 clicks of physical buttons on the monitors themselves to switch input source.

I want to replace the Dell U2311H with a new monitor.

Criteria required:

2560x1440 or bigger.
27".
IPS.
60Hz or higher. 120hz is a plus.
VRR not important, but would be nice to have.
Input interfaces: HDMI, DP at least. USB-C would be a plus.
and the most important: 1 click to switch between input source.
Nice to have: a remote to switch input source.

Any recommendations? I'm in the UK.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

hambeet posted:

so i got a freesync monitor and it's all working great.

settings wise, are there any tips or a guide or something?

eg. should i enable v-sync? if i do should i do it in the amd panel or in game? anything else?

The most important thing to understand about VRR (Freesync/Gsync) is that it only works when the interval between frames is longer than the monitor's minimum refresh time. If you have a 144hz monitor and the time between frames is 6.94ms or less (in other words, you are getting 144+ FPS, even just for two frames), VRR is OFF. This means you either have vsync off (and are getting tearing) or vsync on (and are getting a significant amount of input lag). Because of this, you want to cap your framerate to something like 140 FPS. This will try to make sure that the time between frames is long enough that VRR is always on and you are getting no tearing + minimal input latency. I know, slow down to speed up sounds silly, but that is how it actually works. Whether it's better to cap externally or in game varies by game, but more and more games are implementing good frame rate caps.

With that said, you do probably want vsync on, because whether it's simply inconvenient to cap the framerate in a particular game and you don't mind a bunch of latency because it's an RPG or whatever, or frames just sneak by too quickly sometimes, you're going to have short frame intervals sometimes, and most people prefer vsync on them. As to whether it's better in control panel or in game, it depends. The major difference is that some games have optimizations that function differently with vsync on or off. For the most part, if you force it on in the control panel and turn it on in game things will be fine, but you may run into the occasional badly programmed (typically older) game where that causes issues. If you're trying to get optimal performance for a specific game (because say, you play a bunch of BF1 or CSS or OW or whatever), spend a few minutes to google a guide and find out what settings work best for that specific game.

The other thing you should do is go to the tftcentral or rtings review for your monitor and look up what overdrive setting they recommend. Overdrive tuning matters quite a bit and some monitors have default or maximum settings that produce really ugly results.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

K8.0 posted:

The most important thing to understand about VRR (Freesync/Gsync) is that it only works when the interval between frames is longer than the monitor's minimum refresh time. If you have a 144hz monitor and the time between frames is 6.94ms or less (in other words, you are getting 144+ FPS, even just for two frames), VRR is OFF. This means you either have vsync off (and are getting tearing) or vsync on (and are getting a significant amount of input lag). Because of this, you want to cap your framerate to something like 140 FPS. This will try to make sure that the time between frames is long enough that VRR is always on and you are getting no tearing + minimal input latency. I know, slow down to speed up sounds silly, but that is how it actually works. Whether it's better to cap externally or in game varies by game, but more and more games are implementing good frame rate caps.

With that said, you do probably want vsync on, because whether it's simply inconvenient to cap the framerate in a particular game and you don't mind a bunch of latency because it's an RPG or whatever, or frames just sneak by too quickly sometimes, you're going to have short frame intervals sometimes, and most people prefer vsync on them. As to whether it's better in control panel or in game, it depends. The major difference is that some games have optimizations that function differently with vsync on or off. For the most part, if you force it on in the control panel and turn it on in game things will be fine, but you may run into the occasional badly programmed (typically older) game where that causes issues. If you're trying to get optimal performance for a specific game (because say, you play a bunch of BF1 or CSS or OW or whatever), spend a few minutes to google a guide and find out what settings work best for that specific game.

The other thing you should do is go to the tftcentral or rtings review for your monitor and look up what overdrive setting they recommend. Overdrive tuning matters quite a bit and some monitors have default or maximum settings that produce really ugly results.

Thanks for this write up. I'm in the process of switching from a SHARP 70" TV @ 1080p sititng on a couch to a desktop setup again and looking at monitors.

My question for you people in the know:
I'm looking at IPS monitors as I mostly play in light rooms and like the viewing angles.
Currently, I'm looking at the following:
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27”
or
LG 27GL83A-B
or
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q

The thing I hear is LG makes the best displays right now and they have better dark ratios than the ASUS because the ACER/ASUS/BenQ/Etc all buy their displays from the same manufacturer and LG makes their own.

Is there a magical monitor I'm missing here? I'm looking for 1440, Good viewing angles, 144Hz+ refresh rate, G-sync or supported Freesync monitor. Anything under the radar I'm missing? been to Rtings etc.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You got the contrast part backward - LGs have the worst contrast among IPS displays, although the 27GL83A and the 27GL850 do have exceptionally fast response times. If getting as much contrast as you can get out of IPS is a big concern for you, the VG27AQ is a better choice - but it is really expensive and has the sleep issue (which basically makes it another $30-35 more expensive because you need DisplayFusion to deal with it).

On the other hand, all these displays are actually really good and if you're comparing them to 10+ year old monitors, they're a huge leap forward in quality. In a room with almost any lighting, most people will find even LGs 800:1ish contrast ratio to be acceptable.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

K8.0 posted:

You got the contrast part backward - LGs have the worst contrast among IPS displays, although the 27GL83A and the 27GL850 do have exceptionally fast response times. If getting as much contrast as you can get out of IPS is a big concern for you, the VG27AQ is a better choice - but it is really expensive and has the sleep issue (which basically makes it another $30-35 more expensive because you need DisplayFusion to deal with it).

On the other hand, all these displays are actually really good and if you're comparing them to 10+ year old monitors, they're a huge leap forward in quality. In a room with almost any lighting, most people will find even LGs 800:1ish contrast ratio to be acceptable.

It looks like LG only makes the best displays for OLED which I think is the part I got mixed up and it looks like OLED is the next best thing. I'm thinking since Monitors are lagging on OLED technology maybe I would be better off spending as little as possible on a 27" 1080p/144hz/Tn monitor and waiting for a good 27" OLED in 1-2 years.

Any suggestions on which one is cheapest and has some G-sync/G-Sync Compatible?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Easy answer there: the Nixeus EDG 27 goes for <$350 and is a 27" 1440p@144Hz IPS with FreeSync/GSync support. It's an amazing monitor for the price, honestly. Stocking issues have been problematic, though, so expect to see them out of stock a lot.

e; if you were for some reason actually serious about asking for a 27" 1080p@144Hz IPS recommendation, the VG279Q isn't a bad option at all (or the VG278Q if you insist on saving $15 and stepping down to a TN). But at $300 (there aren't really any cheaper options) you might as well toss the <$50 at the issue and get the Nixeus.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 14, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

I wound up picking over this guide and using most of it re gsync. Also some games are fiddly and just don't like gsync (I'm looking at you, WRC8). Mostly it's set and forget.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It looks like LG only makes the best displays for OLED which I think is the part I got mixed up and it looks like OLED is the next best thing. I'm thinking since Monitors are lagging on OLED technology maybe I would be better off spending as little as possible on a 27" 1080p/144hz/Tn monitor and waiting for a good 27" OLED in 1-2 years.

OLED is probably never coming to monitors, and god knows how far off MicroLED is. The other thing is, when the next thing does come, it's going to take quite a while to come down in price, and the resale value on decent monitors will not be that bad, especially because there will still be tons of people with 60hz monitors and lower end PCs who could use the upgrade. I would not make all those sacrifices for years to save yourself very little in the long run.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
K8's got a point.

The last time OLED showed up in the consumer monitor space it was a $3,500 30" 4k@60Hz. Now, I'm sure Dell was milking the price a bit because there was no competition there, but the point is you're not gonna be picking one up for $500 in the next few years. Or possibly ever. And, likewise, MicroLED is in the vague "coming when it's done" time frame. I wouldn't expect them for at least another 3 years, and who knows what pricing on them will look like. We'll all be using IPS monitors for a while yet.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
LG 27GL83A-B is back at $370 on Amazon, they have 7 left right now. I could only get order to go thru on phone, but it's showing up as ordered now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
LG is slowly introducing smaller panels. If they put out, say, a 40 inch or even hopefully a 38 inch 4K next year or even in 2022 for a grand (which would probably be right around the inferred price point), I reckon a lot of folks would consider it.

poo poo, I would buy one if I didn't just drop over a grand on a work panel. Well maybe I would anyways, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I waited for OLEDs for 12 years. 2008-2020. They never got around. So I just bought a cheap VA and it is overall a lot better than my old display. Oleds may come or may not come, I would never again wait for some magical new tech to appear in 1-2 years.