Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
My favorite part of CC is how much importance they gave to the Buster sword and its legacy, when in the actual VII the first thing you do in the game after leaving Midgar for the first time is ditch it and buy a new sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Krad posted:

My favorite part of CC is how much importance they gave to the Buster sword and its legacy, when in the actual VII the first thing you do in the game after leaving Midgar for the first time is ditch it and buy a new sword.

Isn't it all hosed up at the end of advent children as well? Nice going, Cloud.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

At the beginning; it's polished and shining by the end of the movie.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Krad posted:

Or just get lucky and steal a Hardedge off Soldier:3rd in the Shinra HQ. It's the best sword you can get up through the Junon Sequence, when you can get Force Stealer from impressing Rufus. Otherwise the next upgrade isn't until North Corel (Force Stealer again), or Cosmo Canyon (Butterfly Edge).

I've been playing FFVII again recently, so I currently know way too much about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Beef Waifu posted:

The only thing Gackt can do is improve things and improve things he did to Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus

Meh. Gackt kinda sucks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Volt Catfish posted:

The voltron Buster Sword he uses in Advent Children was pretty neat at least.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd have said that was one of the positives. loving Paul Eiding hamming the gently caress up :allears:

The worst part of DofC's plot, is Vincent (a 60+ year old man in a body taht looks 25) falling in love with a 19 year old girl (with the body of a 9 year old girl), who is acting as a replacement for his psychotic, manipulative ex-girlfriend, because she uploaded her personality to the internet, and the 19 year old has a magic connection to the internet.

Man, gently caress Lucretia. No sympathy whatsoever. She actively fucks up the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Buster Sword is explicitly kind of a lovely bad sword, it's just that most of the guys who use it are literal superhumans who can get a lot of benefit out of bludgeoning people with a big heavy piece of metal. Cloud isn't so he replaces it but keeps it around to murder Aerith with for sentimental value

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Gologle posted:

God, Crisis Core's ending was so sad. You knew it was coming, but it was still horrible. WHy did I level up to level 99 and beat the goddess of the planet if not to repel the army that Shinra sent at me and change history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIiT0keG5iQ

I haven't actually played Crisis Core, but in one of the bonus videos on the Advent Children Complete Blu-Ray they have clips from the ending cinematics and fight with this music and it destroyed me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Costly Punch the Lifestream, you glorious bastard. Don't forget Wall...

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gologle posted:

God, Crisis Core's ending was so sad. You knew it was coming, but it was still horrible. WHy did I level up to level 99 and beat the goddess of the planet if not to repel the army that Shinra sent at me and change history?

Even though it was futile, I made sure to cause as much damage to Shinra in that last bit. And I decided it was the reason for all the Shinra incompetence in FFVII, Zack caused so much trouble and financial strife with his last stand that they were basically doomed to failure from then on. Zack is the best. He punched Shinra to death.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's just EU poo poo, though. In FF7 proper, Shinra is doing just fine and, barring them going nuts over taking down Cloud and the gang, they even talk about how they're poised for upwards growth pretty much up until Meteor is summoned.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

That's just EU poo poo, though. In FF7 proper, Shinra sends two soldiers and assassinates Zack.

There we go. Not saying it's any better, would make for a poo poo ending in fact.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

Yeah that's fair.

No wonder the guy quit. He was basically in one of the most high-pressure positions in the company, basically managing the tech behind all their biggest franchises and having to fix broken poo poo coming from predecessors. This is probably a case of some serious burn-out.

edit: sp

I don't think it as it was the pressure and scope of the project as it was the lack of progress on the engine and games associated with the engine. Engine architects like to get different products shipped on their engine so they get best possible feedback. You don't want to have a five year project on your resume that doesn't involve successfully shipped games.

There were probably other issues Hashimoto had with SE's management and company culture. He had shown himself to be a very productive software engineer at SEGA. If the problems for FFXII/FFXIII/FFXIV are anything to go by, the company has a structural issue with not only managing large teams but also facilitating communication between different teams that are reliant on each other for steady progress. The Luminous Studios team is largely comprised of foreigners (60% foreigners with over ten languages being spoken according to the General Manager's Linkdedin) since SE wanted outside expertise. So there is potential for a culture clash between SE's management/strategic direction and people who worked under a different style of management.

The retrospectives that were released on the FF games reveal how there was constant miscommunication between different teams and how important work would be thrown due to poor project coordination. They seem to have a very difficult managing large teams and keeping them working towards a shared goal. For example, when FFXIV:ARR was announced, a number of new lead designers/programmers/UI designers etc. were added to work on the reboot. However, they didn't necessary replace the old FFXIV leads. Yoshida saw that much of the work on FFXIV 1.0 was bottlenecked due to a handful of staff greenlighting and reviewing work. Instead, many of the new staff filled out important roles that didn't exist during FFXIV 1.0's development.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Does anybody have any suggestions for playing Final Fantasy Dimensions if you don't have a tablet? This game wasn't mentioned in the OP and I didn't read the whole 700+ page thread, but I was a huge fan of FFV and I really want to play this game.

I could get a tablet, but I wouldn't use it for much else and I can't justify $300+ for something like that. I have an iPod 5, but the screen is so tiny that I know that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game; I tried that with FF1 and it was horrid. I am aware of Bluestacks, but I saw a forum thread from only a month or two ago that explicitly stated that Dimensions won't run on it, otherwise I would get it and play it on my PC.

This might seem like an odd request, but I really would like to play this game. I thought it worth asking in this thread in case there's something that I am missing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly just replay FF5 while imagining the plot and dialogue being removed of any and all charm or interest and you've got Dimensions.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

I don't think it as it was the pressure and scope of the project as it was the lack of progress on the engine and games associated with the engine. Engine architects like to get different products shipped on their engine so they get best possible feedback. You don't want to have a five year project on your resume that doesn't involve successfully shipped games.

There are some companies which have made a small game to test out their new engine, such as Zone of the Enders for Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3's engine, and Rockstar Table Tennis for the RAGE engine. Square might have also done this as well with The Bouncer on the PS2, but both Final Fantasy XIII and XV seem to have been developed alongside their engines, with each game being held back by the engine's development.

Konami apparently started the Fox Engine shortly after MGS4 was finished, since its own engine was practically held together by gum and rubber bands, and because they had a lot of difficulty adapting it for the original version of Rising. However, they now have a cross-gen engine that runs beautifully on the PS4 and is far more ambitious in scope on the PS3 and 360 than MGS4 was. Once The Phantom Pain comes out, it will be hard to believe we ever thought that MGS4 was making the most of the PS3's hardware, let alone that a multiplatform game would be so much more impressive.

Capcom also had a great engine last generation with MT Framework, which made cross-platform development easier for them, and resulted in fantastic PC ports. They only let their internal studios use it though, meaning games like Dead Rising 2 and DmC had to use different engines. Square Enix probably wanted to do the same thing, but they produce so few in-house games now that they probably should have just made an engine specifically for Final Fantasy XV, like they did with XIV: ARR, or just re-purpose that engine.

E: VVV Oh OK, that would make sense since they used it for Enslaved.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 26, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Capcom also had a great engine last generation with MT Framework, which made cross-platform development easier for them, and resulted in fantastic PC ports. They only let their internal studios use it though, meaning games like Dead Rising 2 and DmC had to use different engines.

They actually offered NT a chance to use MT Framework, but NT turned it down for the Unreal engine, as they would have had to spend time learning an unfamiliar engine.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

JustJeff88 posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for playing Final Fantasy Dimensions if you don't have a tablet? This game wasn't mentioned in the OP and I didn't read the whole 700+ page thread, but I was a huge fan of FFV and I really want to play this game.

I could get a tablet, but I wouldn't use it for much else and I can't justify $300+ for something like that. I have an iPod 5, but the screen is so tiny that I know that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game; I tried that with FF1 and it was horrid. I am aware of Bluestacks, but I saw a forum thread from only a month or two ago that explicitly stated that Dimensions won't run on it, otherwise I would get it and play it on my PC.

This might seem like an odd request, but I really would like to play this game. I thought it worth asking in this thread in case there's something that I am missing.

You could try to use Bluestacks (I'm almost positive this game works on it, but don't rely on this) or just your phone. I downloaded it on my phone and played it there and I didn't have a single problem with it, size was essentially a non issue. Be prepared to be disappointed with the game, judging by your post. I bought and played it and I felt like I got my money's worth, but it's only a decent/mediocre game. If you go into it expecting something great you will be disappointed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

1: Completely ignore any and all story because it's not very good. Ignore everything Alba says because she's written more poorly than most FF4:TAY extras like the Eblan Four.
2: If you want a pair of dedicated magic users pick two people to focus on mastering red mage (one from each group) because dualcast is amazing.
3: The light party is more heal/defense oriented, the dark party is offense focused.
4. Alba's terrible. The person who wrote her should've been fired. If they're a contractor they should be blacklisted.

It does play alright on an iPod though. I started on an iPod4 and moved my files over to an iPod mini a dozen or so hours in to the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's why my end game team was Aigis (Aigis is awesome), Nacht (he don't give a gently caress), that white mage spy guy (voice of reason), that princess girl I believe (Alba is the better black magic user but gently caress ALBA) and some other dude, I don't remember, might have been either Glaive (Sol's rival, but honestly better than Sol in every respect, gameplay or story wise) or Aigis' sister.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

White mage Dusk, paladin Aigis, black mage Alba, and then ninja Glaive and Nacht was my endgame team I believe.

Dross fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 27, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

1: Completely ignore any and all story because it's not very good. Ignore everything Alba says because she's written more poorly than most FF4:TAY extras like the Eblan Four.
2: If you want a pair of dedicated magic users pick two people to focus on mastering red mage (one from each group) because dualcast is amazing.
3: The light party is more heal/defense oriented, the dark party is offense focused.
4. Alba's terrible. The person who wrote her should've been fired. If they're a contractor they should be blacklisted.

It does play alright on an iPod though. I started on an iPod4 and moved my files over to an iPod mini a dozen or so hours in to the game.

Gologle posted:

You could try to use Bluestacks (I'm almost positive this game works on it, but don't rely on this) or just your phone. I downloaded it on my phone and played it there and I didn't have a single problem with it, size was essentially a non issue. Be prepared to be disappointed with the game, judging by your post. I bought and played it and I felt like I got my money's worth, but it's only a decent/mediocre game. If you go into it expecting something great you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the input. I'm hard up for money right now and I don't want to risk buying it "on Android" and have it not work in Bluestacks, wasting my cash, even though I would rather play it on PC with a controller. Rather ironic, because I remember when the game first came out and I was annoyed that the prologue chapter was free but the rest was sold chapter-by-chapter for very high prices. Now you can buy the whole game for about $16, but I can no longer try the prologue on Bluestacks, see how it feels, and then decide on the rest.

I'm oblivious to story in most RPGs, but especially FF games. The only one where I could say more than one sentence about the plot is in 4. I just want a game that plays like FFV, and this seems to do that. Plus, you have a 5-person party like in FF4, which I really liked.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Sunning, I could definitely see that side of things. Working on an engine for five years to to have it never seethe light of day because projects using it sit in development hell sounds terrible. I would imagine he also got jerked around having to put out fires on their other products like ARR.

I wonder if we'll get a post-mortem on all this pointing out who the major trouble-makers were like we did with FF13 and FF14 1.0.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Im replaying FF6. I've finished it only once but played it dozens of times. It never was my favorite but it's only now starting to grow on me.

It's light hearted, the translation is pretty good (playing GBA version), you have a lot of characters with very different skills, the esper and relic system spice things up, there's a lot to explore and if you skip grinding and two thirds of random battles you can get a decent challenge from the game. Terra turned to an esper now and I have to find her and I've died many times already, so I need to spin things around a bit if I want to progress and that's nice. The world is also this DBZ fantasy thingy where everything exists, from airships and mecha to phantom trains and magic and super powered martial artists, so it's kinda fun to be there.

I don't really like the magic system and I always found the game way too easy, I'm not sure if there is even ultimate secret bosses in the game - like Shinryuu in FF5 - so that was always dissapointing to me. 5 will always be my favorite, but 6 is really, really solid, especially considering it's age. I always hated the drama clashing with the light heartedness, like when Cyan's family dies and he is imemdiatedly normal when he meets Sabin after ten minutes. I guess you can't carry heavy drama with goddamn pixels, so it's alright, but still, if you can't use that, don't put it in.

Not counting these nitpicks, it's a very enjoyable experience, despite being loving 20 years old.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Endorph posted:

Honestly just replay FF5 while imagining the plot and dialogue being removed of any and all charm or interest and you've got Dimensions.

That's a bit harsh. I'm enjoying it.

JustJeff88 posted:

Honestly I play it on my iPhone and it's totally fine. It's better on the iPad but I don't think you'll hate it on your iPod if that's your only option.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
So what's the deal with Alba? I googled it and all the dorks on gamefaqs seemed to love her except one guy who said something like "Reading Elba's dialog is like going to an open mic and having to sit politely while someone completely bombs on stage for an hour."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Her dialogue is all poorly written non-clever sarcasm basically. Gamefaqs likes her because that's what 13-year-olds think is cool. Open-mic guy is spot on, basically, since it's clear the game means for these to be biting retorts but she just comes across like, well, a thirteen-year-old gamefaqs poster.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Alba is an obnoxiously unfunny attempt to recapture Palom, is what she is.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Endorph basically hits it on the head. She is incredibly obnoxious and references poo poo that is neither funny nor needed. It's telling when the game itself gets tired of her (IIRC, the characters start to make these tired comments whenever she says something, like, 'sure, whatever' and such).

In regards to the actual gameplay system, once you get into the endgame there are classes that are clearly superior to others. Memoriser is the most broken class in the game, Ninja and Dark Knight are both beasts, once you get Magus and Sage there is no reason to ever use the lower tier magic classes unless you didn't get Doublecast for some reason, and Paladin is also very good. Dragoon isn't bad I guess, but I only used it to get F-Abilities.

Also, F-Abilities. Make them and use them. They are the basically the other crux behind the game, alongside the Job system.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The reason why you level white mage and black mage even though magus and sage exist is because magus and sage don't lend levels of magic to fusion abilities.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I actually never knew that. But you also level them up because Magus and Sage are only unlocked almost at the very end. I do like how they incorporated Alexander and Diablos into that, too, but I think that's just because I love the Alexander Summon and I wish more FF games had him in them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

bloodychill posted:

So what's the deal with Alba? I googled it and all the dorks on gamefaqs seemed to love her except one guy who said something like "Reading Elba's dialog is like going to an open mic and having to sit politely while someone completely bombs on stage for an hour."

Simply put: Alba is the worst Final Fantasy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm actually replaying the end game of FFD right now because of the talk about it and I find it oddly funny how the fake final boss is literally just you wailing on an empty suit of armor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It took four attempts to beat Hilgigars in FFIX Unleashed. On my fourth battle I ganked the Fairy Flute on the first attempt and managed to kill him. That certainly was interesting :allears:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gologle posted:

You could try to use Bluestacks (I'm almost positive this game works on it, but don't rely on this)

I'm just going to throw this out there; has anyone successfully played Dimensions on BlueStacks, or at least tried and failed? I saw a thread elsewhere from a few months ago of some guy saying that it does not work but some other FF games do. That said, it could be that he was doing something wrong (possibly to do with Google Play) and/or something changed in the meantime, yet I'd really like to know as I very much want to play this game.

I know that a lot of people have said that it is fine on an iPod, but I tried FF1 on my iPod and it was unplayable to me. Later, I bought the PSP port and loved it. Part of the problem with intricate games on a tiny iPod screen is the big military-style case that I use which provides great protection but pinches the edges of screen. Mostly, though, it's just the tiny screen and minuscule touchable icons juxtaposed with my huge hands (I can palm a regulation basketball) and sausage fingers.

If someone can confirm playing it without issue on BlueStacks, I'll go that route, but if not I will just have to live without. If I lay out $17 on the iPod version, I know that I will regret it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
For the record, I never had any luck getting Dimensions to work with BlueStacks or any other Android emulator. It's been months since I last tried, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I just downloaded it and tried playing it on BlueStacks and it just would not go through. That is very puzzling to me, because I could swear that I played FFD on my PC once but didn't continue because I disliked using the mouse to move around. But I guess it doesn't work. I'm being serious though, I played it on a screen smaller than my hand and I had no issue with it. Maybe you really are different though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gologle posted:

I just downloaded it and tried playing it on BlueStacks and it just would not go through. That is very puzzling to me, because I could swear that I played FFD on my PC once but didn't continue because I disliked using the mouse to move around. But I guess it doesn't work. I'm being serious though, I played it on a screen smaller than my hand and I had no issue with it. Maybe you really are different though.

I really appreciate you checking. After how much I disliked FF1 on iPod, I can't see myself liking this one. If I ever break down and get a tablet, though, this will be an immediate purchase.

It's a pity, because bad writing and shallow plot aside, it looked like the sort of game that I would really enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Mak0rz posted:

It took four attempts to beat Hilgigars in FFIX Unleashed. On my fourth battle I ganked the Fairy Flute on the first attempt and managed to kill him. That certainly was interesting :allears:

You're a greater man than I. Or a crazy person. After struggling through the first two discs, I gave up at the beginning of Disc 3 when I played FF9 Unleashed. There are bad aspects to FF9's combat that are only apparent when you're presented with a challenge level that vanilla FF9 never provides, like ATB meters filling up during long attacks and enemies queueing up attacks while you're selecting yours. Maybe you'll like Unleashed but I can't see many people enjoying it. It's way too hard.