Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I could have sworn there was a nice guide to all amiibo and its uses and now all i can find is autogenerated amiibo web poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the funniest part of XB2’s gacha system is that 4* blades are much rarer than 5* blades to the point that its not uncommon to beat the game and get every unique 5* blades including KOS MOS and see maybe one 4* blade the entire time

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Castlevania 64 is better than most think

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would like to play Castlevania 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness on my nintendo switch

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sponges posted:

The VA in Triangle Strategy is fine

As far as video games go, it's not particularly awful, but I want more than mediocrity. I didn't know games could have good voice-acting until I played Disco Elysium. How Brown manages to give each and everyone of the personalities a thoroughly different voice, while remaining inherently the same, still gets me. I remember when Split, that Shyalaman movie came out, the lead, James McAvoy, got credit for pulling off split personalities. I personally thought he did a rather unimpressive job, just exaggerating cliche personalities of each persona. Brown somehow, while keeping pretty much the same register, adds subtleties to his readings to make each voice distinct. Of course, the writing is a big part of it because each personalities has a style of being written too, but it all comes together so perfectly. And every actor just nails it, let alone Brown, in Disco Elysium.

Large Testicles posted:

I tried the english VA at first and yeah, i put it on japanese before i even finished the intro and never looked back

The thing is, even with mediocre voice acting, I read faster than it's said, so unless it's stellar the actor's hardly add anything to the emotional punch of the game aside from getting across the obvious emotion. Which is why it's just easier, and even preferable to turn it off altogether, because were it Japanese, I'd still get through the lines faster than they say them. You save a lot of time.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i would like to play Castlevania 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness on my nintendo switch

With the Nintendo Online Expansion Pass you can enjoy all the finest N64 games on your Nintendo switch entertainment system

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
inject that n64 jank straight into my veins

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 2, 2022

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Dpulex posted:

With the Nintendo Online Expansion Pass you can enjoy all the finest N64 games on your Nintendo switch entertainment system

I can’t seem to find Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the Nintendo Online Expansion pass.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kirios posted:

Does anyone else here play Pikmin Bloom? Wife and I are into it and looking for some folks to round our group out.

I gave it a try, but I couldn't be bothered to wait for the app to load, then go through the motions of plucking out pikmins and planting more etc. There's a mostly dormant thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983873

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Palmtree Panic posted:

I can’t seem to find Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the Nintendo Online Expansion pass.

You haven't expanded enough

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TMNT nes is harder that the infuriating difficulty I recall as a child

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Upsidads posted:

TMNT nes is harder that the infuriating difficulty I recall as a child

farm scrolls OP

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Hi, I would like something nice and chill to play at night while I'm hanging out and watching tv. How is Civilization 6 on switch? I really enjoy all the civ games and have all dlc on PC but I'd rebut on this for convenience.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What really helps Triangle Strategy is pressing the X button to see who is talking on and on so you actually learn who people are and there roles.

I was shocked how much talking there was at the beginning but the story became good because I learned who all the people were.

It’s an amazing game. Best I’ve played all year.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

hadji murad posted:

What really helps Triangle Strategy is pressing the X button to see who is talking on and on so you actually learn who people are and there roles.

I was shocked how much talking there was at the beginning but the story became good because I learned who all the people were.

It’s an amazing game. Best I’ve played all year.

I love the flashback portraits too as they adapt to the period.

The story is genuinely pretty good. Nothing ground-breaking but it has its moments and it provides a pretty reasonable justification for your fights.

Also each unit being tailor-made is perfect. It allows for some great strategy and synergy. It's like my favorite thing about it. Death to customization, death to choice paralysis!

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Target Practice posted:

Hi, I would like something nice and chill to play at night while I'm hanging out and watching tv. How is Civilization 6 on switch? I really enjoy all the civ games and have all dlc on PC but I'd rebut on this for convenience.

It's fine. Game chugs in the late stages but never becomes unplayable.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Man the new Kirby is so good you guys weren’t kidding. Just a joy exploring the levels and taking in the sights and sounds. What about that Dream Buffet game? Worth getting?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Commander Keene posted:

Trials also had one standout character (Angela) and one who delivered incredibly flat line reads half the time (Reisz).

We don't tawk about Chawwotte.

Picking the three character in the remake that I didn't use in the original SNES version, well, it came at a tewwibowe pwice.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Target Practice posted:

gently caress civ6, get into the breach

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

gently caress civ6, get into the breach

They're both good. ITB is a much shorter, more immediate game. Civ 6 is for the long haul.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mierenneuker posted:

Picking the three character in the remake that I didn't use in the original SNES version, well, it came at a tewwibowe pwice.

What the gently caress game is that?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dpulex posted:

Castlevania 64 is better than most think

:hai:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They're both good. ITB is a much shorter, more immediate game. Civ 6 is for the long haul.

To be honest I've had an unopened copy of civ6 for over a year now. Never played a civ game before...are they good for short pick up and play sessions? I love that about into the breach

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

To be honest I've had an unopened copy of civ6 for over a year now. Never played a civ game before...are they good for short pick up and play sessions? I love that about into the breach

You can adjust the game's length with various rules (I think there are presets that change everything for you but also the option to adjust specifics), but it'll never get down to the quickness of ITB. But it's also not trying to.

Civ 6 is great if you know you've got an hour or more to play it. For less than that, Breach works better.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Silver Falcon posted:

Trials of Mana aka the 3D remake of Seiken Densetsu 3.

The original version for the SNES had a fan translation patch that was fairly popular back in the day, because an official translation didn't exist until its inclusion in Collection of Mana for the Switch.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 2, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You can play them as short games but civ is balanced around normal gamelength which is often very long. Also, the switch version takes forever to load new turns and is prone to crashing. Id avoid it tbh, i like the game a lot but its just not great for switch play

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

The Trials of Mana remake that came out a couple years ago.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should probably go buy a lottery ticket while you're at it.

I’ll admit I cheated a little bit by using cloud save backups, but I still landed her within 15 Legendary rolls right after getting Zeke with around 250 luck and no boosters. don’t want to think about those odds

all I have left now are Perun, Dahlia and Newt and I’m not really hurting for their absence

also I did a quick bit of arithmetic and determined that Ursula’s whole affinity quest would clock at 41 hours of constant Merc running, assuming you didn’t trim the timers at all and immediately swapped her into a new mission every ten minutes. but swapping that fast is not possible and she has other concert-based missions too, so let’s say closer to 45 hours. I feel like Monolith fat-fingered something when they were designing this

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Ooblets owns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

You can play them as short games but civ is balanced around normal gamelength which is often very long. Also, the switch version takes forever to load new turns and is prone to crashing. Id avoid it tbh, i like the game a lot but its just not great for switch play

I just want to say, as sort of a counter argument for one point, I've played it, so far, for around 30-ish hours and haven't experienced any crashes. Not saying you won't, but you might end up with the same experience I did.

The load times, near the end of the game when 6-7 other civs are taking their turns, is definitely long though.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I can't find my copy of Cubivore (nor my Gamecube) which somewhat irks me but I did find my copy of those odd gems which is 20% as good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As far as video games go, it's not particularly awful, but I want more than mediocrity. I didn't know games could have good voice-acting until I played Disco Elysium. How Brown manages to give each and everyone of the personalities a thoroughly different voice, while remaining inherently the same, still gets me. I remember when Split, that Shyalaman movie came out, the lead, James McAvoy, got credit for pulling off split personalities. I personally thought he did a rather unimpressive job, just exaggerating cliche personalities of each persona. Brown somehow, while keeping pretty much the same register, adds subtleties to his readings to make each voice distinct. Of course, the writing is a big part of it because each personalities has a style of being written too, but it all comes together so perfectly. And every actor just nails it, let alone Brown, in Disco Elysium.

It is not the same as Disco Elysium (because nothing is) but Three Houses and Three Hopes both have some of the best voice acting I’ve heard in a game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Man the new Kirby is so good you guys weren’t kidding. Just a joy exploring the levels and taking in the sights and sounds. What about that Dream Buffet game? Worth getting?

I get most Kirby games and I kinda regret getting dream buffet to be honest. It’s only $15 but that’s also the price of a lot of incredible indie games that are a lot better

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dream Buffet looks neat but I just know I’ll spend $15 on it, play it once, and never touch it again. Maybe it should have been a free game for NSO members.

Does it have local multiplayer?

I’d love a new Dream Course.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was free. It would have made alot more sense as some free game, but I guess $15 is fair enough for what it is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dream Buffet looks neat but I just know I’ll spend $15 on it, play it once, and never touch it again. Maybe it should have been a free game for NSO members.

Does it have local multiplayer?

I’d love a new Dream Course.

I think so, yeah

Dream Buffet is decent enough I suppose but even by Kirby standards it’s really short (the closest thing to a “story mode” will take you about 5 minutes to complete) and there’s not a whole lot to it. It really should have just been a free download like some of the other recent Kirby side games

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 2, 2022

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Had some friends over recently. Was shocked to find out Dream Buffet didn’t support four player local matches. We had to play Mario Party instead.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hrist posted:

I thought it was free. It would have made alot more sense as some free game, but I guess $15 is fair enough for what it is.

Yeah $15 is fine. I played it for about 5 hours, had a good time but it's not something I'm gonna stick with.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dream Buffet has 2 player local multiplayer. Up to 4 online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Finally finished Astalon: Tears of the Earth. What a great game. Best metroidvania I've played in ages. Why, I liked it so much I think I'd like to have a physical copy. Let me see if it ever got a physical release...

...oh.