Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I've jammed so many fingers at this point that most of them on my left had cant completely curl.

The joys of being a [new] brown belt.

Arthritic killers. The arm has sent me for a loop because there was some loud elbow crunches when it happened but all the pain is in the forearm and its been a week. If it still hurts in another week I'm just gonna tie it inside the gi and roll with newbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My leg lock game consists entirely of classic "im too lazy to pass the guard" ankle lock and rolling toe hold, with a smidgeon of toe holds from odd positions such as the omoplata.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

In celebration of my current gym doing a leg lock emphasis this week, I've been going back to review the only modern game leg lock instructional I own, Down Under Leg locks. It seems more than sufficient for my needs, local gym rolling and maybe some open mats. I'm just curious about how it compares to the current leg lock meta, being about 5 years old. I'm under the impression that the saddle and classic ankle lock positions have fallen out of favor and that's sort of the emphasis.

I think the current high level meta is that it’s hard to finish from the saddle if the other guy knows how to defend well, so 50/50 is a more common finishing position than saddle, and you’re seeing other weird finishing positions pop up. IIRC gordon ryan heelhooked nicky rod at ADCC from single leg x, he didn’t bother getting into a deeper entanglement than that? But a lot of the same entries are still popular.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't that Heikki Jussila? The super built/thick European he got in like 7 seconds?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

flashman posted:

Arthritic killers. The arm has sent me for a loop because there was some loud elbow crunches when it happened but all the pain is in the forearm and its been a week. If it still hurts in another week I'm just gonna tie it inside the gi and roll with newbs

Gotta be weary of them too. Sometimes new white belts are more dangerous to roll with than the brown and black belts.

Mekchu posted:

Wasn't that Heikki Jussila? The super built/thick European he got in like 7 seconds?

I thought it was Victor Hugo(?)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just have to say I'm also browsing the literature thread atm and I thought I was having a stroke.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

awkward_turtle posted:

In celebration of my current gym doing a leg lock emphasis this week, I've been going back to review the only modern game leg lock instructional I own, Down Under Leg locks. It seems more than sufficient for my needs, local gym rolling and maybe some open mats. I'm just curious about how it compares to the current leg lock meta, being about 5 years old. I'm under the impression that the saddle and classic ankle lock positions have fallen out of favor and that's sort of the emphasis.

I'm still learning leg locks but I think the recent meta change was Lachlan at 2019 ADCC leg locking people from what was once considered a safe position (from outside while supine iirc).

The ankle lock (or Achilles lock if you suck Dan and her's dick) is coming back.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I made a mini instructional and finally got it edited. Thought I would share it here. All feedback is appreciated. The more critical and ruthless the better. https://youtu.be/H_n6CLO-NVY

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

heeebrew posted:

I made a mini instructional and finally got it edited. Thought I would share it here. All feedback is appreciated. The more critical and ruthless the better. https://youtu.be/H_n6CLO-NVY

both halves, while presented differently, seem really good to me. Not too bogged down on every detail. I would watch more presented the way you did the wrestle-up, for sure. I think the video is a bit mistitled though because there's more of the x-pass in this version.

e: I'm not sure you need so much of watching people drill the move, unless you have specific observations or correction of details while they're doing it

starkebn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

heeebrew posted:

So after the stepback at 7:17 there's a really funny sub against DLR guard if you just drive your left knee forward again trapping his leg, then stack/drive forward to attack the knee/hip

(this isn't a critique of the video it's just a cool sub everyone should know about)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 13, 2023

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

guys! my coach hosed up and did the thing!

i am terrified for my next tournament now...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

knuthgrush posted:

Kickass. Congrats.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

knuthgrush posted:

:mummyface: congrats!! :mummyface:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
goongrapulations

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I like how the first thing you show them is to make sure his back is to the mat. BASICS. It gets you a long way.

knuthgrush posted:

Congratulations. I always put this when someone gets their blue belt, but I feel like blue is where you develop your JJ "personality".

I got wrist locked standing up in my first tournament at blue and the match was over in like 5 seconds. Those upper belt blue belts are the real deal :D

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Looks like a grey belt...

Congrats anyway! The colour doesn't really matter

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:mummyface: :mummyface: :mummyface: :mummyface: :mummyface:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks for the kind words, all! I mostly lurk in this particular thread save for the two or three dumb questions I've asked but I've learned a lot from absorbing your collective powers.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I got wrist locked standing up in my first tournament at blue and the match was over in like 5 seconds. Those upper belt blue belts are the real deal :D

This is the kinda poo poo I figure I'm in for. I'm just gonna have to out-crazy them.

starkebn posted:

Looks like a grey belt...

Congrats anyway! The colour doesn't really matter

Century's belts are super washed out for some reason, my potato camera doesn't help it either. Maybe after I use it for a while it'll have the double benefit of letting me sneak into the kid's matches and wreck them when I get tired of my own losses. I'll just need a cover story for the beard...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats on your promotion. White to blue is the hardest promotion ever, its all down hill from here.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

heeebrew posted:

This opens with almost a minute of warmup jogging, which seems extraneous -- just start it at the 50-second mark, where the actual techniques begin. Unless the warmups were intended to showcase the giant 10th Planet logo on the wall as a gesture towards a title sequence? If so then cut down the warmups clip to just a few seconds (mb 5 to 10?) of your choicest quips during the jogging, imo.

The x-pass section was good! I actually appreciated the drilling student pairs, although along similar lines to starkebn's comments: could you perhaps add a few bullet points of commentary/captions to clarify the exact improvements that you're telling to the drillers? The noise level is a little high during the drilling, and it would be good to list the exact points you're trying to get across. (This would also parallel the upcoming captions-only wrestle-up section, possibly helping the whole video to feel more cohesive.)

The wrestle-up section was really nice! I liked the multiple camera angles on each variation. However it was hard to follow the captions when they changed partway through your active movements. The first few sequences were fine for me (new caption introduced alongside a new clip, each illustrating a relatively narrow point, so I can first read the caption and then match it up with the subsequent grappling action), but then the sequence from 10m07s loses me a bit. I had to rewind and rewatch it several times to actually read all the captions and cross-reference them with your physical motions. The sequence proceeds as follows:
  • 10m07s: black screen, caption1 fades in: "While playing shin to shin, your opponent steps away / preventing you from being able to control their far leg."
  • 10m09s: clip1 begins (caption1 persists)
  • 10m12s: you've wrestled-up to wrapping your partner's knee to your chest, you're in a post-shoot style combat base (one frame before stepping your right sole flat to the ground), and caption1 is abruptly replaced by caption2: "If we don't have far leg control, shin to shin is a lot less powerful so we need to act quick."
  • 10m17s: you finish the takedown and are working to complete the pass, as caption2 fades and is replaced by caption3: "Remove your shin to shin leg and place it behind your opponent's near leg, using your calf to help / wedge his near leg and trip him as you build your combat stance and attack the single leg."
            [NOTE: your free leg is what goes behind the opponent's ankle, not your shin-to-shin leg!]
  • 10m19s: clip1 is abruptly replaced by clip2 (and caption3 persists)
  • 10m26s: you're on your feet with the single leg, and caption3 fades and is replaced by caption4: "I step over their trapped leg, reach for their far shoulder and change my overhook to an / underhook as I raise his foot above his head and spin him down with my hand on his shoulder."
  • 10m32s: clip2 fades to black
  • 10m33s: caption3 fades out
The fact that there's four distinct captions feels like each should sync to relevant points in the video clips, but instead it feels like you had about four sentences' worth of explanation to go over 23 seconds of video = the standard 6ish seconds per caption. And I imagine the captions are basically what you would say out loud when teaching these wrestle-up techniques in person, because they're good as explanation, but crucially you probably don't narrate and simultaneously perform a complicated set of movements -- in fact we see you alternating between explanations and motions during your entire x-pass teach! Ideally we'd have that alternation and synced timing also apply to the captions vs actions during the wrestle-up section. (I'm envisioning something along the lines of BJJ SCOUT.)

This can be a lot of extra editing work to do really well, but I think a good baseline would be something like the following. I've reworded and reflowed the captions, and also am specifying things with relative timestamps now:
  • 00s: add a title:summary to this section (sth like "Countering the step away: switch to combat base and shoot for a single leg"?) at the top of the screen; the subsequent captions will illustrate this in greater detail, but now we know what's coming up. At the same time but at the bottom of the screen, show a new caption1: "Shin to shin is a lot less powerful without far leg control, / so if our opponent steps away, we need to act quick." (combination of old caption1&2). We'll give people a few extra seconds to read this summary text that I'm frontloading here.
  • 6s: fade in on clip1, paused on its first frame; caption1 persists.
  • 10s: fade out caption1, and fade in a new caption2: "Catch behind your opponent's ankle with your free leg, / then post on your free hand to put your shin-to-shin leg behind you." (First half of old caption3, including the correct shin-to-shin leg's placement.)
  • 15s: start playing clip1...
  • 17s: ...but pause just a couple seconds in, when your outside hand posts on the ground. Highlight your right hand + right calf somehow if you can (arrows on top of the video? Circle them?) to illustrate the new caption2.
  • 20s: video still paused, but fade out caption2 and fade in a new caption3: "Use your calf to help wedge their near leg and trip them / as you build your combat stance, attacking the single leg." (Second half of old caption3.)
  • 26s: unpause video and let it run for another ~2sec...
  • 28s: pause video when your left sole fully steps on the mat.
  • 30s: fade out caption3 and fade in new caption4: "Step over their trapped leg, scoop a second underhook on their calf, / reach your inside arm up behind their back to their far shoulder, / then raise their foot high and spin them down with your grip on their trapezius." (Same as old caption4 plus some rewording. It is pretty dense, but the single leg is not the focus of this instructional, so that's hopefully fine.)
  • 34s: resume playing clip1.
  • 41s: clip1 ends. Fade out caption4. Reset to beginning of clip1, with title "Full speed".
  • 42s: unpause clip1 and call out significant pieces as they occur. (Maybe with a slight freezeframe on each callout, if you're feeling fancy? If so, title this portion "Almost full speed" instead I guess!)
  • 43s: "Opponent steps"
  • 44s: "Post and switch legs"
  • 45s: "Trip, combat stance, attack single"
  • 47s: "Complete the single leg"
  • 49s: "Next, from a different angle..."
  • 53s: clip1 ends, begin playing clip2.
  • 54s through end of clip2: optionally, add similar callouts to the ones in the (almost) full speed clip1 above, from 42s onwards.

My hope is that the above list results in a nice draft that you can polish up from there. Looking back on what I've written, this draft I have on offer is an micromanaged and perhaps overspecified script, so you are 100% free not to take the advice! But I think the main thing I want say is: "6 seconds per 2-line caption" may be a relatively reasonable standard for dialog in TV shows and movies, but that semi-standard is insufficient when the captions are detailed technical instructions that are being demonstrated faster than the captions are being shown. I think redesigning this segment to more directly illustrate the captions via slowmo/pauses/replays of the video clips would be great.

A few other assorted points:

Try to standardize on talking directly to the audience with "you" for all of the captions, rather than switching between "we" and "you" and "I" across different captions! And I personally would appreciate if the generalized opponent were referred to w/ "they" (as I did in my own reworded script above) rather than "he"!

Typo at 11m10s, the caption mentions "kazushi" -- the internet suggests that's only a name (e.g. Sakuraba!), while "kuzushi" is the word that means off-balance.

At 11m50s, discussing the Big Red Wrestle Up: it might be nice to add a caption somewhere discussing the use of your inside arm that you underhooked their thigh with, as you have a bunch of different takes and some different angles of this technique and some longer caption-free spots. After escaping to the dogfight-ish position and that arm comes around to more of a meathook grip inside their near knee, I can see that you lift their knee with the grip to initiate the actual takedown itself. I imagine this grip prevents them from turning back into you, from driving you down with a hard whizzer, and overall keeps their near side exposed while you drive into them for the far knee tap; is there more to it that I'm missing? (Add the answer to a caption too though!)

Minor typo at 12m26s: "opponent", not "oppponent".

IN CONCLUSION, I enjoyed the video and thought it had a bunch of really cool and good stuff in it already. I don't know how ruthless I'm being with my suggestions above, exactly, but hopefully you find this big ol' wall of text to be useful!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Oh yeah and I love dumb(?) leg hook escapes n such, so I thought the last sequence, "Inverted Heisman Option/Leg hook side control escape", was great! I think the closest I'd seen on this was this one video of Ota doing it ("octopus side control escape"), but you've got a number of extra details that are glossed over in that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPdM3NaNTXs

knuthgrush posted:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

goongrapulations
💯

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

drat I need to hire you as an editor. Gold nuggets of feedback. Thank you.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Congrats on the blue. Most important belt, which is a cliche at this point but is still true

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hopefully you did a blue belt test like me

edit: otherwise you're fake blue belt

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Michael Transactions posted:

Hopefully you did a blue belt test like me

edit: otherwise you're fake blue belt

I'd argue, but I don't want my fake purple belt called out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

We're going to have Yuri Simoes do a seminar at my gym soon. More details when the tickets page is organised

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang that's a really nice blue!

I feel like I cared way more about gaining my blue belt than my purple because, rightly or wrongly, BJJ does kind of use "colored belts" as a short hand for "not new people", and this gets you in that club.

Congratulations :mummyface:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ooh i would attend a yuri simoes seminar

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

heeebrew posted:

drat I need to hire you as an editor. Gold nuggets of feedback. Thank you.

:shobon:  Aw thanks -- I'd love to see any future versions, and I presume the rest of the thread would too!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

heeebrew posted:

The single leg off of them stepping out of the tripod sweep has immediately filled a hole in my game against standing passers and I managed to (sloppily) use it during an open mat today. I liked this because it was a lot of the same principle but showing different entries and different places that it shows up. Thanks for sharing it!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

thanks for the rest of the congrats i missed!

i did have to attend a rank review and demonstrated a few things with everybody else. it's less mcdojo than it sounds. i really enjoy our rank reviews.

i'd heard that blue belt is when you get a target on your back and i thought that was silly until i went to open mat this morning. i only got one break to rest for the whole hour. it was back to back people saying "congrats on the belt!" and then proceeding to beat the breaks off of me. upper belts quit "going easy" and some of the white belts turned into frothing ax murderers. time to work harder on my defense, i suppose.

i'm not too worried about the belts. i'm hooked on this poo poo and i've kept up with it for about three years so i think i'll probably keep doing it as long as i'm physically able to. it's been terrific.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

i'd heard that blue belt is when you get a target on your back and i thought that was silly until i went to open mat this morning.

Every new belt gets a target, and it never stops!

-Belts under you want to beat you up in the hope that senpai notices them and promotes them
-Belts at your level want to beat you up to prove that they belong at that rank
-Belts above you want to beat you up because like hell a brand new [x] is gonna beat me!.

From my anecdotal evidence Brown belt is the absolute worst for this. As you have Brown belts wanting to fight death matches between each other so that they get good enough to get that black belt. Like if you think white belt vs white belt gym matches are hilarious to watch, watch two grizzled brown belts go at it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 14, 2023

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Defenestrategy posted:

Every new belt gets a target, and it never stops!

-Belts under you want to beat you up in the hope that senpai notices them and promotes them
-Belts at your level want to beat you up to prove that they belong at that rank
-Belts above you want to beat you up because like hell a brand new [x] is gonna beat me!.

From my anecdotal evidence Brown belt is the absolute worst for this. As you have Brown belts wanting to fight death matches between each other so that they get good enough to get that black belt. Like if you think white belt vs white belt gym matches are hilarious to watch, watch two grizzled brown belts go at it.

now that you mention it, i've seen the brown belt battles play out in the gym for sure. never really considered they might be trying to sharpen their saw. i just figured they were siblings...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

At that level I think you have to go kinda hard to get realistic feedback and some moves need momentum to work properly

For example I've been doing lots of backtake stuff lately and with the turtle backtakes, they're rolling to get away from you and you've gotta be diving over the top of them faster than they're rolling, and then you've gotta keep that momentum going so that you can keep them rolling into the right spot.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

i'd heard that blue belt is when you get a target on your back and i thought that was silly until i went to open mat this morning. i only got one break to rest for the whole hour. it was back to back people saying "congrats on the belt!" and then proceeding to beat the breaks off of me. upper belts quit "going easy" and some of the white belts turned into frothing ax murderers. time to work harder on my defense, i suppose.

You def get a target on your back at blue, but I feel this is the case any time you rank up.

Im fairly certain that I am at a point in my journey where Ive felt that I have had the biggest target on my back ever. Fairly new brown belt that switches to cross town gym (that is known to be fairly decent competitors). Had the biggest blue belt Ive seen in a while attempt to tear my arms off the other night, and another leg locker attempt to break my foot via toe hold. Fortunately my defenses are solid and their fundamentals need work

starkebn
May 18, 2004

haha, yeah - every lower belt is trying to grab toeholds lately without even having control of the knee

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

The single leg off of them stepping out of the tripod sweep has immediately filled a hole in my game against standing passers and I managed to (sloppily) use it during an open mat today. I liked this because it was a lot of the same principle but showing different entries and different places that it shows up. Thanks for sharing it!

So happy to hear it helped your game.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

haha, yeah - every lower belt is trying to grab toeholds lately without even having control of the knee

Watching the Rio open and the first match I watch a brown belt sits to guard (controls the knee) and pulls off that mikey leg lock that looks eeirly like an estima lock. Breaks the dudes ankle/leg.

YIKES.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Any advice for purchasing kneepads for takedowns? gonna be primarily wearing gi-pants if that matters. I feel my knees getting banged up from doing standup because I'm primarily dropping for firemans carry and seo nagis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

you shouldn't be dropping heavy on your knees for takedowns. ideally your knee shouldn't even touch the ground