Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Haifisch posted:

Speculation? Check. Mixing money and family? Check. Being burnt by putting all their eggs in one basket for a hilariously long timeframe? Check.

Easy to be smug. Presumably this is an NYC yellow cabbie. The medallions used to be like gold dust and set many an immigrant family on the path to prosperity. Then Uber made them almost worthless overnight. People aren't psychic and you need to take a risk to make money in business.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BarbarianElephant posted:

Easy to be smug. Presumably this is an NYC yellow cabbie. The medallions used to be like gold dust and set many an immigrant family on the path to prosperity. Then Uber made them almost worthless overnight. People aren't psychic and you need to take a risk to make money in business.

Pretty much this. No one expected a company to show up that would so blatantly flaunt the law and get away with it as completely as Uber, Lyft, etc have.

Of course, automation is coming and we're likely to see Johnny Cabs in 10 years, so this guy should have gotten out anyway, but blaming the guy here is a little tasteless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Incredible.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Volmarias posted:

Pretty much this. No one expected a company to show up that would so blatantly flaunt the law and get away with it as completely as Uber, Lyft, etc have.

Of course, automation is coming and we're likely to see Johnny Cabs in 10 years, so this guy should have gotten out anyway, but blaming the guy here is a little tasteless.

He used leverage to purchase an asset at the height of a bubble. It sounds to me like if his plan had gone "right" it still would have been 10 or 15 years before he saw return on his money. He also relies on exploiting others (the cab driver) to actually make money, so he could be a mostly passive owner.

It's not the most egregious BWM we've seen in this thread (it seems like he has a pretty good life otherwise), but it was a bad investment with a bad business plan. It's analogous to someone buying a house as an investment property, and being unable to make payments when they can't get a renter for a few months. Or it's like those people who tried to make a business out of Bitcoin mining, whose business plan was "if Bitcoin stays above $x, electricity is below $y, and the server runs 24/7, I can pay off the loan in 3 years!"

I don't know how a medallion loan is structured, but if it's anything like a mortgage he should probably walk away from it and let the bank deal with the results of his bad investment. The medallion isn't likely to get more valuable over time.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Doesn't he have only a couple cars? I always assumed they'd have more than that under a medallion for some reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NancyPants posted:

Doesn't he have only a couple cars? I always assumed they'd have more than that under a medallion for some reason.

1 medallion = 1 vehicle. It's bolted onto the body (usually the hood).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

flosofl posted:

1 medallion = 1 vehicle. It's bolted onto the body (usually the hood).

Ohhhhhhhhh

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

Poor immigrants getting $900K loans for medallions?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Poor immigrants getting $900K loans for medallions?

Yep. Banks would underwrite this as it used to be very good return for them. There are also partnerships that buy a medallion and then lease it out.

If you could get a medallion for yourself as an independent operator you could clear a decent amount of money in year after operating expenses and overhead. Medallions in NYC were extremely valuable since they limited the number of active Taxi vehicles allowed in the city. Until Uber came along and cut their legs out from under them.

I'm not making any judgements re: Uber/Lyft vs. traditional taxi services, but it completely gutted a lot of taxi income in major cities.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

flosofl posted:

Yep. Banks would underwrite this as it used to be very good return for them. There are also partnerships that buy a medallion and then lease it out.

If you could get a medallion for yourself as an independent operator you could clear a decent amount of money in year after operating expenses and overhead. Medallions in NYC were extremely valuable since they limited the number of active Taxi vehicles allowed in the city. Until Uber came along and cut their legs out from under them.

I'm not making any judgements re: Uber/Lyft vs. traditional taxi services, but it completely gutted a lot of taxi income in major cities.

Maybe Uber would never have gotten started if people weren't paying higher cab fares to offset $900K medallions, or cities had expanded the number of medallions (driving down the cost.) But then the banks wouldn't be able to make loans with guaranteed results if they foreclosed on the loan:

And yeah I get that Uber/Lyft has gutted the taxi industry, but here's my view as a rider: when I used to take taxis, they were expensive, took forever to arrive, were uncomfortable, and I'm pretty sure they took me on the scenic route more than a few times. I've never had this problem with Uber, except once when I took an Uber Pool and it had to make another drive around Arrivals to pick up another passenger (which is part of the reason why Pool is less expensive.) Uber could raise their prices a moderate amount so their drivers made more and I would still prefer Uber. The last time I traveled on the company dime, when it literally didn't matter whether I took a cab or an Uber because someone else was paying the bill, I still took Uber.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 12, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
turn left dale noooo

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Voted 5. I feel terrible for the medallion holder.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh since anecdotal experience is so valid, in my area the taxi arrives within 5 minutes and the drivers are almost never creepy Libertarians that give off rape vibes. It costs what it costs and there's never this surge pricing bullshit. I never have to go on a scenic route. Plus last time I got a hilarious old Korean lady and we got to poo poo talk everyone else, it was great.

Taxi monopolies are a huge problem and more needs to be done to introduce competition both for workers and consumers, but Uber/Lyft do nothing for that. Creating another class of "independent contractor" slaves, not to mention the thriving opportunities for discrimination of women and people of color, just so you can ride in a loving Tahoe isn't the solution.

Also not on topic, so have some BWM to atone for my sins because I am a shitlord:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5tlnbf/24_with_52_k_in_student_loans_and_moderate_future/?st=iz3256y9&sh=55a3825f posted:

Edit: new account because my regular has a lot of identifying information.
Edit 2: the federal loans at actually 4 separate loans, with slightly different interest rate but all between 5.5 and 5.8. I've read it's best not to consolidate them if I want student loan forgiveness
Hey everyone,
I'm 24 years old and will be finishing grad school in May, and starting my first full time job. I have $40,600 in federal unsubsidized direct Stanford loans at 5.8 percent interest, and 12,000 in a personal loan from my father at 3.5% interest (He dispersed one installment of 2500 each semester for 5 semesters of grad school. He wants me to pay him back each installment 3 years from when I took it, so the first $2500 will be due in August of 2018, them January 2019, etc).
After the semester ends, I will only have about 2,000 in savings.
I haven't found a job yet, but mostly likely my starting salary will be between 45,000 and 55,000. The max pay in my field is around 70 to 80k, after 10 or more years of experience.
My projected budget is as follows: All utilities/internet/food/toiletries/gas and travel, etc: 900 Phone: 60 Car: 100 Health insurance: 200 (I have been on my parents very good health insurance and this was the monthly rate, no clue how that will change when I get my own through my new job?) Possible rent: 1200 (this is a max estimate. My current rent for a 1 bedroom is 950, so this is assuming I move to an even more expensive city. I have a high needs dog so it's difficult to find a roommate who will tolerate that, but I'm open to a roommate if I can find one to hopefully make his number lower.) Student loan payments: 400/month Total per month: 2,900 Total per year: 34,800
Assuming my pretax salary is 50,000 and I only take 200 a month out for retirement type things, my take home pay would be around 37,700 (no income tax in my state).
This would leave around 3,000 a year extra. I would use that 3,000 to build an emergency savings for the first year (may 2017-may 2018). The second year I can use that money to pay my dad's loans.
I got the number for the loan repayment from a calculator online. My profession will likely qualify for the 10 year public services loan forgiveness program. In order to use this program, I have to make 10 years worth of payments on an income based repayment plan, and the rest will be forgiven at 10 years. The calculator gave me range of 150-400 for the monthly payment, so I went with the high end to be safe.
Does this seem like a good plan? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I'm upset because I thought 50k didn't seem like a ton of loans (stupid) and that I could pay them off in a few years if I was aggressive. After doing the math I see I literally have no wiggle room.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The more time I spend online the more I think the solar flare won't be so bad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This thread has broken me such that $50K in loans doesn't seem like that big a deal.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

This thread has broken me such that $50K in loans doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Same, I was waiting for the horse wedding.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Oh me too, I was like "oh that's only 1 year of starting salary..."

reality check: for a job he doesn't even have lined up.

e: is it legal to charge someone interest on a personal loan if you aren't a bank?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yes

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's haram af tho.

e: I have loaned ~$12k to a friend, which is probably BWMaL, but at least I would guillotine myself before I charged interest.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 12, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I mean I feel bad but that's how student loans work. Also charging a relative interest is loving shady as hell.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also charging a relative interest is loving shady as hell.

It reminds me of Principal Skinner talking about having to pay his mother back for all the food he ate as a baby.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I mean I feel bad but that's how student loans work. Also charging a relative interest is loving shady as hell.

Counterpoint: The borrower not offering to pay interest because it's a relative is shady.

I think the way to do it within family is:

Lender
1) be prepared to never get paid back
2) accept a reasonable interest rate adjusting for closeness of relationship and life circumstances (e.g. not based on lending risk or opportunity cost)
3) be flexible on repayment

Borrower
1) only ask to borrow money if you have an actual plan and the capability of paying it back
2) offer to pay interest to offset the opportunity cost of the lender's money
3) have open communications with your lender if you are having trouble back repaying the loan and cut down all discretionary spending on yourself before cutting your repayments

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I thought you had to charge interest or else it was considered a gift and taxed as such?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

ohgodwhat posted:

I thought you had to charge interest or else it was considered a gift and taxed as such?

No this is a myth

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mantle posted:

I think the way to do it within family is:

Lender
1) be prepared to never get paid back
2) accept a reasonable interest rate adjusting for closeness of relationship and life circumstances (e.g. not based on lending risk or opportunity cost)
3) be flexible on repayment
More like:

Lender
1)Make it a gift, and have any repayment be a pleasant surprise.

Assuming you value the relationship enough that you don't want it to implode, anyway.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

No this is a myth

Then why wouldn't you give gifts as interest free loans that never had to be paid back?

Like, pretty much everything I've looked at so far says you're wrong.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 12, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Every time I read one of those more reasonable "I have a bunch of college debt and no job lined up" pieces I think about how lucky I was/am because I think there's A LOT more of those people out there. At least the Reddit people acknowledge that it's a problem. I had no clue how hilariously hosed I'd be coming out of college with an English lit degree.

BWM-- Grandparents had done zero estate planning because I guess they thought they'd live forever even as they were falling down every few months and having more and more regular hospital visits. So, I guess there's going to be no money to inherit as it's all going to the nursing homes. My father and his sister talked to a financial advisor when my grandfather was going permanently into a nursing home and the advisor told them they were years too late to do anything. I really don't need the money. It's not mine, and I never really planned on it. But, I was often told that I had an inheritance coming and it "was safe" and my general opinion is that the elder care system in the US is the scummiest of scum and wring old people out for their last dollar, so I'm pretty unhappy that it's going to that industry.

GWM-- Addict brother borrowed tens of thousands of dollars from them and failed / fails regularly to pay them back. I was told he "had spent his inheritance." Whelp, I guess being a deadbeat is overall BWL / BWM but GWM in this single instance.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ohgodwhat posted:

Then why wouldn't you give gifts as interest free loans that never had to be paid back?

Wow you found a loophole that literally no one has ever thought of

Except the IRS: http://denhalaw.com/low-to-no-interest-rate-loans-to-family-be-careful/

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Wow you found a loophole that literally no one has ever thought of

Except the IRS: http://denhalaw.com/low-to-no-interest-rate-loans-to-family-be-careful/

Dude, I agree, read my post. Pryor on Fire is just, as usual, posting worthless and misleading poo poo which could cost people money.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ohgodwhat posted:

Dude, I agree, read my post. Pryor on Fire is just, as usual, posting worthless and misleading poo poo which could cost people money.

Was Pryor on Fire the one who posted in the stock thread about how there literally wasn't any hydro in Wyoming, and then I typed <control>-t "google hydro plant wyoming" and found results in two seconds

OH YES IT WAS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=754#post468699342

Blinkman987 posted:

BWM-- Grandparents had done zero estate planning because I guess they thought they'd live forever even as they were falling down every few months and having more and more regular hospital visits. So, I guess there's going to be no money to inherit as it's all going to the nursing homes. My father and his sister talked to a financial advisor when my grandfather was going permanently into a nursing home and the advisor told them they were years too late to do anything. I really don't need the money. It's not mine, and I never really planned on it. But, I was often told that I had an inheritance coming and it "was safe" and my general opinion is that the elder care system in the US is the scummiest of scum and wring old people out for their last dollar, so I'm pretty unhappy that it's going to that industry.

I am sorry that your grandparents are paying for their nursing home stays instead of the taxpayers, because Medicaid should not just be for the poor but also for people who want to pass inheritances along to the grandkids.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

I am sorry that your grandparents are paying for their nursing home stays instead of the taxpayers, because Medicaid should not just be for the poor but also for people who want to pass inheritances along to the grandkids.

Did you shake your fist wildly at the air while saying that and going "MY TAXESSSSSSSSSSSS"

If you want to talk reform, Medicaid should be for literally everyone. But that's not what this thread is about-- it's about people making individually bad financial decisions and not doing estate planning would qualify.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah and Wyoming still doesn't do hydro power. I know because I just wrote about it. The coal lobby is pretty loving powerful around here, but it's actually a story about the history of water in the west rather than energy. It's a real shame too, we had a great opportunity to do get some real sources of serious wattage from rivers all through the west. At one point they were seriously considering banning coal, it's a wild story.

Anyway, the gift tax is also still a myth, anything under $5 million and you're fine. I'm not even sure who "not from Wyoming" guy is, but uhh... I'd suggest not doubling down on being rude just because you were wrong twice.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Blinkman987 posted:

Did you shake your fist wildly at the air while saying that and going "MY TAXESSSSSSSSSSSS"

If you want to talk reform, Medicaid should be for literally everyone. But that's not what this thread is about-- it's about people making individually bad financial decisions and not doing estate planning would qualify.

Like other social assistance programs, Medicaid nursing home coverage is a safety net for the poor. Do you think everyone should get food stamps too? Because you sound like one of those people who gets angry that the poor get stuff like Section 8 housing while you have to pay full price for your apartment.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah and Wyoming still doesn't do hydro power. I know because I just wrote about it.

Then :lol: because there are literal hydro plants in Wyoming. Unless you think the Bureau of Reclamation is putting wrong information on their webzone: https://www.usbr.gov/projects/index.php?id=114
https://www.usbr.gov/projects/facilities.php?state=Wyoming

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 13, 2017

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Quite a few old people end up divesting their assets before going into the nursing home, it makes sense if you don't have enough to cover the cost of care for however long you expect to live. Some people even take out as much credit as possible and buy their kids and grandkids expensive gifts, since you have little use for a good credit score in a nursing home. There's really no recourse unless the nursing home wants to force an involuntary bankruptcy on grandma.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Konstantin posted:

Quite a few old people end up divesting their assets before going into the nursing home, it makes sense if you don't have enough to cover the cost of care for however long you expect to live. Some people even take out as much credit as possible and buy their kids and grandkids expensive gifts, since you have little use for a good credit score in a nursing home. There's really no recourse unless the nursing home wants to force an involuntary bankruptcy on grandma.

The issue is that if you want Medicaid, meaning you've run out of money and credit (and nursing homes do kick people out who can't pay anymore), the government will go through your records for the past few years and if you've gifted all your assets to your family, they'll ask for the money back:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/dont-go-broke-in-a-nursing-home----medicare-is-not-going-to-pay-your-nursing-home-bills-2 posted:

Seniors who want to avoid being impoverished have to compete with a harsh reality that was put in place by former President Bush's administration when Congress passed the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (DRA). The DRA made harsh changes in the way that the government will punish seniors for acts of charity and family giving. The Medicaid rules assume that when a senior makes a gift, the purpose of that gift was to get rid of some assets in order to qualify for Medicaid nursing home expenses. That's right - seniors are guilty until proven innocent. The DRA creates a penalty of ineligibility for Medicaid when a senior who gave away money needs nursing home services at any time within 5 years after the gift. It's a harsh punishment that our government has created for seniors who suffer chronic long-term illnesses within 5 years after a gift.

Technically the kids don't have to pay the money back, but in that case the government says "enjoy living on the street." So effectively it's a clawback. Don't get mad at Dubya, a lot of seniors were doing the "give all my money away, now I'm poor where's my free nursing home?" poo poo.

Asset planning for Blinkman987's grandparents would have meant planning started years ago to fit in with these regulations, like putting the money in an income trust. Good With Inheritance, OTOH they would immediately be shoved into a Medicaid-quality nursing home.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Related to recent thread :masterstroke:

Just Wait Until I'm Tenure(d Track)

tl;dr - 200k student loans (took out a massive loan to do the first year of an American Studies PhD unfunded, self-funded trips to Europe to present his work at conferences, etc), 46k CC debt, makes $52k year as a tenure track professor in Maine. Overdraws nearly-tapped-out credit cards to get a full tank of gas so he can drive two hours to donate plasma.

There's a happy-ish ending: Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah and Wyoming still doesn't do hydro power. I know because I just wrote about it.

But didn't read about it, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Really loving this argument about Wyoming's hydroelectric power generation in the Bad With Money thread

• Locked thread