Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

I understand it's old, but it seems like the only thing that has "failed" is a minor annoyance?

My PC is from 2011, I sure as hell have no intention of replacing it anytime soon. :shrug:

Man i wish my phone had access to flash. Its so much better than htmfail5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Really the only improvements I want from the Pixel 2 are IP67 and either smaller bezels or front speakers. Dual rear camera if they can fit it in (preferably with a genuinely longer focal length instead of Apples "super wide angle and wide angle" combo), but not a big deal. I'm happy with the software/gyro OIS.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 24, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Really the only improvements I want from the Pixel 2 is IP67 and either smaller bezels or front speakers. Dual rear camera if they can fit it in (preferably with a genuinely longer focal length instead of Apples "super wide angle and wide angle" combo), but not a big deal. I'm happy with the software/gyro OIS.

Same. The Pixels video stabilization is magic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. The Pixels video stabilization is magic.

It is. I took some video of my niece and nephew unwrapping Christmas presents and when I watched it afterwards you'd swear it was on a tripod. It's crazy good.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

I got two years from the Nexus S - sure it didn't run particularly well after that time but not did anything else in the Android world (it had the same hardware as the original Galaxy S and certainly ran a lot better than that POS)

My N4 made it to two years without the USB port failing, the power button did instead and apparently that's a pain to try and replace

In between when the N4 died and when I picked up an N6P I had a LG G3 for a few months and it was the most godawful mobile experience I've ever had - despite having way more hardware performance was awful compared to the N4, the screen sucked, audio was barely usable and battery life was terrible. Good camera though. That phone sure taught me a lesson about looking at spec sheets instead of the overall package.

That is kinda strange, while the LG stock software is pretty bad, the Screen was awesome and the speaker, even rear facing, was one of the loudest ones I have still heard on a phone. Overall it has some weird issues that will probably never be ironed our (being the Sprint model which appears to be the only one without 6.0.1 still) but outside of that it wasn't that terrible.... IT was just, LG Bad. (I really enjoyed the sleep of death issue on mine. That was always fun, especially only when you actually wanted to use the drat thing.)
The actual form factor though is still one of my favorites. Great shape, size, rear buttons, and if it had front facing speakers and was a Nexus instead it would have been a terrific device... Sigh

^^^ OF note about video stabilization, its the same with the Nexus 6P, it only works on up to 1080P Footage. It can't do stabilization on 4K. (And it isn't real IOS but EOS which is why it can't at 4K) It is still really good though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My pixel absolutely does stabilized 4k video.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

My pixel absolutely does stabilized 4k video.

The option doesn't grey out or not allow it to be toggled when 4K video is set?

I could swear it did that on both my Mom and Sis's. Hmm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

The option doesn't grey out or not allow it to be toggled when 4K video is set?

I could swear it did that on both my Mom and Sis's. Hmm

Nope. Video is set to 4k and it's enabled. My videos are all at 3840x2160 and my hand isn't that steady. 4k is only a little over 8mp, there's plenty of sensor there to do 4k and allow electronic image stabilization. If the 6p can't do it, it's probably a limitation of the SD810.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

I don't know, the latest Nexus phones are bootlooping, the Nexus 5 inspired the previous thread title when you had to bang it against the desk to get it working, the motherboard on the Nexus 4 was notorious for having the micro USB fail... it may not be 100% accurate but then again this thread has never exactly been a hyperbole free zone.

So...yeah you were wrong.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Nope. Video is set to 4k and it's enabled. My videos are all at 3840x2160 and my hand isn't that steady. 4k is only a little over 8mp, there's plenty of sensor there to do 4k and allow electronic image stabilization. If the 6p can't do it, it's probably a limitation of the SD810.

Well I be. Gotta check that out again on the Family Pixels then. That is pretty cool.

The old 6P still takes some dang good pics, just slower then the Pixel for sure, but I didn't know it could also stabilize 4K. Sweet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that it's absolutely because of the 810, it just can't do it sadly.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I remember reading somewhere that it's absolutely because of the 810, it just can't do it sadly.

And while you can enable it on the 808 powered 5X through a build.prop edit, it was also limited to 1080P.

While the 810 is a hot mess, anything is better then the video processing limits of the 801. drat I wish the LG G3 (And pretty much all 801 powered devices) would have had and used the 805 instead. Such a better chip as evidence by the Nexus 6.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The Nexus 5 was a tank but that battery was not going to last three years.

Mum's on a Nexus 5 and that's what's gonna force her to move on, I think. It's a pity, she's totally happy with continuing to use it in every other way, but it just doesn't make it through the day anymore.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is kinda strange, while the LG stock software is pretty bad, the Screen was awesome and the speaker, even rear facing, was one of the loudest ones I have still heard on a phone. Overall it has some weird issues that will probably never be ironed our (being the Sprint model which appears to be the only one without 6.0.1 still) but outside of that it wasn't that terrible.... IT was just, LG Bad. (I really enjoyed the sleep of death issue on mine. That was always fun, especially only when you actually wanted to use the drat thing.)
The actual form factor though is still one of my favorites. Great shape, size, rear buttons, and if it had front facing speakers and was a Nexus instead it would have been a terrific device... Sigh

Nah the screen was garbage - it may have been high res but LG applied a really jarring sharpening filter to it that couldn't be turned off (without a custom ROM and who does that?). It also had appalling black levels, poor viewing angles and used a tonne of power at any reasonable brightness.

My audio problem wasn't with the speaker it was with the 3.5mm jack - there was so much static and interference through it I couldn't stand to use it. Especially bad for podcasts or music with soft passages.

I also didn't like the rear buttons being so close to the camera lens

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I took my lovely screen protector off my pixel xl and it's like having sex without a condom again after using bread bags for the past month

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

Man i wish my phone had access to flash. Its so much better than htmfail5.

:laffo: You really just have the consistently worst opinions

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

My instinct was to err on the side of it being a joke but you just never know in the Android Thread these days!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

This flew way over your head lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

Nah the screen was garbage - it may have been high res but LG applied a really jarring sharpening filter to it that couldn't be turned off (without a custom ROM and who does that?). It also had appalling black levels, poor viewing angles and used a tonne of power at any reasonable brightness.

My audio problem wasn't with the speaker it was with the 3.5mm jack - there was so much static and interference through it I couldn't stand to use it. Especially bad for podcasts or music with soft passages.

I also didn't like the rear buttons being so close to the camera lens

Ah well that wasn't the screens fault, the thing was beautiful for being one of the first 1440P screens available, but yea the LG Sharpening was downright terrible. All you needed was root to fix that though. Power usage and heat though was a bit retarded. Replacable batteries did help a bit. I was able to shove a 4050mah battery into it that helped a bit, and got an extended 9100mah one for the occasion that I needed some life. It would last 2+days on that with heavy usage lol.

The headphone port I do remember now and yea, it was bad for some but seemed to be hit or miss for some. If you got a bad one, it usually stayed bad unfortunately.

The problem I had was even with me adding a thermal pad on the cpu to vent heat to the frame a bit (was just an air gap before) it still just got super hot to the point it would reboot when shooting video which made it nearly useless for that in the summer. Oh well.

Endless Mike posted:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ah well that wasn't the screens fault, the thing was beautiful for being one of the first 1440P screens available, but yea the LG Sharpening was downright terrible. All you needed was root to fix that though. Power usage and heat though was a bit retarded. Replacable batteries did help a bit. I was able to shove a 4050mah battery into it that helped a bit, and got an extended 9100mah one for the occasion that I needed some life. It would last 2+days on that with heavy usage lol.

The headphone port I do remember now and yea, it was bad for some but seemed to be hit or miss for some. If you got a bad one, it usually stayed bad unfortunately.

The problem I had was even with me adding a thermal pad on the cpu to vent heat to the frame a bit (was just an air gap before) it still just got super hot to the point it would reboot when shooting video which made it nearly useless for that in the summer. Oh well.

Wow, what a great phone! Daily driver out of the box!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nimper posted:

My instinct was to err on the side of it being a joke but you just never know in the Android Thread these days!

:same:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I know it's not something I can blame on USB C, but my brand new anker car charger is stuck in the drat cigarette lighter adapter and I can't even get a grip on it to yank it out :bang:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Captain Yossarian posted:

I know it's not something I can blame on USB C, but my brand new anker car charger is stuck in the drat cigarette lighter adapter and I can't even get a grip on it to yank it out :bang:

Something something tiny hands

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's basic safety: always use something with a flared base.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

I have had to use pliers to get these out before

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nimper posted:

Something something tiny hands

I have gigantic ham hock hands and that's the problem!!! :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

It's basic safety: always use something with a flared base.

I'm going to destroy my car, it's life is over

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I'm going to destroy my car, it's life is over

I don't think anything with a flared base will cause much damage.

Maybe try fastballing your phone into the car?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Have you tried banging it against a table? Or maybe put some kind of tape on it to get a better grip.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you tried banging it against a table? Or maybe put some kind of tape on it to get a better grip.

I actually think I'm going to try and find a pliers over lunch

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Hey I thought I saw some Subaru drivers in here complaining about their Bluetooth audio not working

Mine was working well until recently and now it just connects over and over again without playing :(
Anybody find a fix for this kind of behavior?

drat you pixel you were perfect until now

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Duggler posted:

Hey I thought I saw some Subaru drivers in here complaining about their Bluetooth audio not working

Mine was working well until recently and now it just connects over and over again without playing :(

https://technewsinc.com/google-will-release-fix-android-7-1-1-nougat/

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Awesome, thanks <3

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

THF13 posted:

I have had to use pliers to get these out before

Pliers worked. Also, the charger didn't shatter and seems to work fine even after I was furiously working on it with a pliers so +1 for anker quality I guess?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is this where we talk about google home?
I'm wanting to buy into voice activated smart lights. I'm thinking the phillips hue hub, as I don't own my place so I won't be doing much other than maybe a security camera as far as smart home stuff goes. Is something like the InsteonHub better?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

deong posted:

Is this where we talk about google home?
I'm wanting to buy into voice activated smart lights. I'm thinking the phillips hue hub, as I don't own my place so I won't be doing much other than maybe a security camera as far as smart home stuff goes. Is something like the InsteonHub better?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ahh, thanks

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Never buy anything Philips. In my experience, they rival MadCatz for unreliability, regardless of product.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Anyone know why my girlfriends Nexus 6 still hasn't gotten Nougat? It is on T-mobile but we bought it directly from the Play Store, it's still on 6.0.1 and I don't think it's on any beta channels and it's never had an update sent through USB or anything, OTA only.

It had an update today and I was excited that it was Nougat but it wasn't and she doesn't remember what it was so kind of confused here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Duggler posted:

On the plus side, a restart has always fixed it for me and theres an actual restart button on the pixel!

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Anyone know why my girlfriends Nexus 6 still hasn't gotten Nougat? It is on T-mobile but we bought it directly from the Play Store, it's still on 6.0.1 and I don't think it's on any beta channels and it's never had an update sent through USB or anything, OTA only.

It had an update today and I was excited that it was Nougat but it wasn't and she doesn't remember what it was so kind of confused here.
Is the N6 getting Nougat? I thought it wasn't.