Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You are in the tiny minirity on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Rainbow Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/GenerationVoid/status/1497590284733063172?t=0i-_7bc0_EcoJ9_sbJ1BRQ&s=19

goons

I don't like this. I know I just said retail sucks butt, but I like that I help people get their food locally. the abuse is bad, yeah, but I don't feel like I'm doing my job against my will. idk it's just a weird take. it seems like something someone says to sound profound

For me, the reason retail sucked is not the fundamental concept of "making food and merchandise available" - it's the way you are required to do it. the mandatory fake emotional investment, the abuse from customers and bosses, and the physical labor bits. And the poo poo pay. That's what this post reads as to me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/GenerationVoid/status/1497590284733063172?t=0i-_7bc0_EcoJ9_sbJ1BRQ&s=19

goons

I don't like this. I know I just said retail sucks butt, but I like that I help people get their food locally. the abuse is bad, yeah, but I don't feel like I'm doing my job against my will. idk it's just a weird take. it seems like something someone says to sound profound

Just a remind that the group of heroes at my last place got pay cuts and benefits removed during covid

E: Guess while I'm here I'll also say I met an old coworker who stopped working like a year before I quit. Turns out they fired him when he was on leave for covid and tried to spin it as him doing a voluntary leave and refusal to show up. He sued them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rainbow Knight posted:

goons

You can take pride in your work and the fact that it tangibly helps others, while also acknowledging that some things are hosed up systemically and the "YoUrE aLl HeRoEs" stuff is patronizing at best and gaslighting at worst.

Bruce Wayne isn't worried that he's going to end up getting fired from his job as Batman and have to choose between medicine and heat. Superman isn't motivated by people banging pans when he's not even around.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If the basic needs of my family were taken care of I would cheerfully work retail for a community full of people whose basic needs were also all met. I could spend the rest of my life making sure people can get the poo poo they need to eat and maintain their homes and then die satisfied. It’s an honorable occupation, doing work vital to social welfare no less than anyone else in a supply chain, from longshoremen through teamsters to you.

As with a lot of stuff, it’s the job and the pay, not the actual work, which are the sticking points.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Leal posted:

He sued them.

:justpost:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

It took about a year but they settled, I didn't ask for how much but I'm sure its a good amount for him to accept. When i told him my own stuff he offered to give me the lawyer's number but I'm pretty sure I don't have any kind of case. While what they did is hosed up and immoral, don't think any of it is outright illegal, and I don't have the income to spend to try and find out. Really what I need is a news station to get more eyes on the video I made but like most things no one gives a gently caress about retail employees and my emails go unanswered.

E: Alright well there is some stuff to this guy's story. He was constantly getting write ups and was blamed for stuff he literally wasn't in the store for. He was a night crew third manager and was blamed for ordering/accepting product past the expiry date even though he even at the store to order or receive the product. And I guess either he caught it or someone else caught covid, was advised to stay home and even went through the FMLA stuff to get time off. Then management fired him and claimed he abandoned his duties as the reason.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 26, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leal posted:

It took about a year but they settled, I didn't ask for how much but I'm sure its a good amount for him to accept. When i told him my own stuff he offered to give me the lawyer's number but I'm pretty sure I don't have any kind of case. While what they did is hosed up and immoral, don't think any of it is outright illegal, and I don't have the income to spend to try and find out. Really what I need is a news station to get more eyes on the video I made but like most things no one gives a gently caress about retail employees and my emails go unanswered.

E: Alright well there is some stuff to this guy's story. He was constantly getting write ups and was blamed for stuff he literally wasn't in the store for. He was a night crew third manager and was blamed for ordering/accepting product past the expiry date even though he even at the store to order or receive the product. And I guess either he caught it or someone else caught covid, was advised to stay home and even went through the FMLA stuff to get time off. Then management fired him and claimed he abandoned his duties as the reason.

Have you considered contacting the lawyer and asking for a free brief consultation to see if you do have a case? Don't send your YouTube rant, type up relevant facts and mention who referred you.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It depends on your employer - My daughter works for a company that treated everyone well and it ended up that there was a huge shake up in the way training and roles were assigned, so people who were customer facing and were uncomfortable were offered warehouse/home delivery roles and the shelf stacking teenage boys ended up on tills. Now after the pandemic you got those lads still on tills and the former till ladies driving vans and the like.

I worked in disability services and all I got was 24 hour shifts on a 37.5 hour monthly wage and some loving clapping.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Just a remind that the group of heroes at my last place got pay cuts and benefits removed during covid

You either die a hero, or you stay on long enough for society to crush your dignity and will to dust.

And everyone is correct: the issue isn’t the work, the issue is the lack of respect , dignity and means of making of living that’s the issue with retail.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Well in better retail news I came out as trans and my supervisors and manager have been awesome and supportive :toot:

Congrats!!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the event was pretty okay!

it was 90 degrees but everyone was happy to be there and ready to fight. toward the end we zerged the front door.

:unsmith:

also, the store we were in front of (in a nice area in Tustin, CA) posted security guards with bullet proof vests and guns and poo poo. I'm there and thinking, "lmbo about two third of these people are close to retirement, out of shape, or both what the gently caress do you think is going to happen?!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

also I learned my new favorite statistic: kroger makes $285k off my labor every year. I get about 7% of that and then I get treated like a dog

edit from way downtown: my math was off. it's more like 14% but lol 14%. kiss my loving rear end with that poo poo. it should be 50%

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 7, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rainbow Knight posted:

also I learned my new favorite statistic: kroger makes $285k off my labor every year. I get about 7% of that and then I get treated like a dog

:stare:

You need to find an office job somewhere what with being able to write good and competence in finding your own rear end.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon is doing away with everything as fast as they reasonably can. Masks were optional for vaccinated Feb. 11th. Now starting today Masks optional for everyone. Also the convenient ability to clock in/out on the web app is going away tonight, at least for my facility. They're bringing everything back in stages as corporate goes "Pandemic over! Time to abuse the workers and treat them like children again! We gave up too much control for too long!" Not sure how long before they start trying to take phones away again. The online timeclock thing is just the first obvious step. Especially since people are abusing it: there's a certain subset of people who think they're outsmarting the system by showing up just to clock in from their phone/the front door before going home.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Today our delivery company sent out an email saying yeah, masks are optional unless, like, you really want one. Or you have Covid, then wear a mask. Or you live in a city where it's mandated. But you're fine otherwise.

The next time I have a checkride, my rider is gonna be sad when I insist on a mask for them. poo poo isn't over.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah I plan on wearing a mask for a while as well even after corporate drops the requirement even though I am vaxxed and boosted. One of my gender dysphoria triggers is my facial hair and so mask helps keep it hidden.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I loving did it, at 40 years old I have made the jump and I'm starting a career change out of retail now. After getting the tentative approach from my old boss at work last week, I sent my resume in Monday morning, Monday afternoon I went in for a chat and "interview" and then signed my contract. My final day working retail is next Friday.
Laid back office, WFH when needed, the first time in 22 years I've permanently had weekends free and a bunch of people I've enjoyed working with in the past (I'm the 3rd person that's now left to come work here, all from the same store)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

KTS posted:

I loving did it, at 40 years old I have made the jump and I'm starting a career change out of retail now. After getting the tentative approach from my old boss at work last week, I sent my resume in Monday morning, Monday afternoon I went in for a chat and "interview" and then signed my contract. My final day working retail is next Friday.
Laid back office, WFH when needed, the first time in 22 years I've permanently had weekends free and a bunch of people I've enjoyed working with in the past (I'm the 3rd person that's now left to come work here, all from the same store)

Congratulations; office work has it's own set of irritations but you can at least sit down to endure them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon uses both Chime (made by Amazon Web Services) and Slack (made by someone else) for internal IMs between departments/groups/individuals. Slack is the newer, shinier one and since it's not technically Amazon we have to use 2-Factor Authentication USB keys. It's really great because if I pull up Slack on a computer Slack won't set off the 2FA check itself because its security is nonexistant but afterwards a bunch of other stuff will set off the 2FA check. Thankfully I only have to do it once a shift.

Only now it also sets off the 2FA check when I'm on the kindles we use for audits and learning and poo poo and it's not like I can shove my full sized USB key into the USB-C plug on the kindle. Or at least it triggers when using the old link to the old internal Amazon wiki to the forms I need to fill out where it only takes 2-3 clicks. But I bypass them if I use the new links that take closer to 10-15 clicks (Including a step that is "change the page's view or else the tab you need doesn't show") to a different page on the wiki that then goes to another page on the wiki that initially looks exactly like the previous one you were on then I can get to the evaluations I need without triggering 2FA. In short I now have too high of a security to use the non-stupid way to get to my work

Oh and the kindles? The newest ones will hard lock and shut out all input from the touchscreen beyond the initial swipe to wake them up if they connect to the guest wifi. The only way to fix them is to restart them at which point they might automatically connect to the guest wifi. The only way to fix them is to restart at which point... Yeah went through 3 Learning kindles before I got one that didn't immediately self-lobotomize.

After I finished my main training for the day I went and did some audits. Might have saved some college kid's life. Dude is wearing a heavy sweater hoodie to hide the fact that he's got earbuds in. Which, yes, I understand why he'd want music here and there are many people who do wear that kind of clothes and are fine. However he was obviously beat red, puffing, and moving at 2 miles an hour while regularly wiping his brow to wipe away the sweat he no longer had fluids to produce. Had to explain to him that music isn't worth heat stroke and he wasn't fooling anyone and I could see his plug's wires (not gonna rat anyone out over that stuff: I'm not paid enough to care). Thankfully he took it well and listened to me and next time I saw him he had set the heavy hoodie aside and looked way better.

Edit:
Oh right, I should probably mention that at some point during the fight with trying to get to my paperwork through 2FA I might have broken down and screamed "AMAZON IS A loving ONION: LAYERS UPON LAYERS OF STUPID!" a few times. Also I took my problems to an Ambassador from another department and he just started laughing. "Welcome to Amazon! How can we stop you from doing your job today?"

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 2, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Apologies for the double post but it's time for an ADVENTURE! Complete with PICTURES! Today's adventure?

gently caress DAYSHIFT!

If there's a bit of weird formatting it's because I'm copy-pasting and editing this from a massive Discord rant I made before I went and got some sleep.

Okay, obviously everyone here knows I work in an Amazon FC Warehouse. The stories about Amazon being a mess to work for? Yeah mostly true. Though some sites are better than others. Mine's one of the best were it's just long, hard work for pay that's frustratingly ever so slightly better than most of us grunts would get for similar jobs elsewhere. Oh and good healthcare: enough to keep us working, not enough to keep us happy. No pee bottles at SAT2 and we only recently got a crying cabinet.

I've given this job enough blood, sweat and tears (literal on all three) I get to park my rear end at a cozy computer away from 95% of the building's drama and openly surf reddit, or books, or watch youtube videos because I'm the best at my job, I go an extra mile 5 feet and management can see all the work I don't have when I'm goofing off. Oh and when I say "I'm the best at my job" my job involves keeping a massive sorter that feeds the entire building running.

The last 5% of the drama is special drama that I can't avoid and am in fact drawn into due to my job. Tonight was super special drama, even for the special drama. The 0.1% of drama. The "Holy poo poo I think that manager may kill someone" drama.

I come in and clock in for my shift at 18:25. At about 18:26 I reach my station, look up and see the below mess. This is the corkscrew down from the 4th floor sorter to my 3rd floor station. Mine is the only corkscrew this short (The rest go down to what would be the 2nd floor to feed the workspaces on the 1st floor) but they're all basically the same just mine's the short one. For reference the padded panels are for sound dampening.

First highlight: the actual jam. There's two pipes that go up the corkscrew that carries wires (I think one actually carries a pneumatic tube since most of the conveyor belts are pneumatic). These things catch the corners of totes going down all the time. It's entirely normal to have a couple of jams here on any day and usually just a few pokes with pole, a bit of cussing and the tote pops free.

Today's tote rammed those poles with much the same homing accuracy as a drunk driver desperately trying to avoid the tree that just swerved into their lane.

Second highlight at the top left: what actually stopped the machinery. The jam in the corkscrew did not actually trip any sensors so more totes were being forced down, which lead to a giant clusterfuck of crushed, bent totes and more and more force being put on the first one. Oh and loose items all about which are never good for any part of the system, or the items themselves.

No what stopped the jam was a tote coming in sideways at the top and getting stuck and causing a traffic jam that tripped a sensor on the main router at the top: shutting everything down. The damage was so bad in part because the totes on the corkscrew just kept being forced against the walls/machinery.

Third highlight at the bottom: This is the chute that the corkscrew belt goes from the bottom back up to the top. You might notice it's completely beat up and twisted about. The stress from the above damage, or something else I don't know, somehow knocked this thing free and the belt was already disintegrating when it stopped. And it stopped about half an hour before I even clocked in.

I did not notice how hosed up the chute was: I just noticed the jams and proceeded to try to clear them. The mess at the bottom is shredded belt links. I didn't realize this at the time: I thought they were just the remains of some bag of wall hooks that had blown open or something. Happens all the goddamned time. Nor did anyone else notice how hosed up the chute was or the chunks of belt segment everywhere. All everyone saw was the jammed totes.

Anyways when I realize everything's a mess I trade out my baseball cap for a hard hat, put on my gloves and start trying to clear the mess. At this point I've barely logged in to my workstation and it's still finding its rear end with both hands to ask me the daily questions about how much I work here (pay me more assholes). I take one of the long aluminum jam poles and I can't dislodge that fucker. Its is wedged around those loving pipes. Frustrated I climb the ladder, clear the jam and sensors up top and start trying to pry it free from above. No luck. In the meantime the PA (Process Assistant, a.k.a. Assistant Manager) here shows up and asks if he needs to radio for maintenance. I say yes and he does. And a second time. Gets a response tells me they'll be here soon, goes to turn on the tray sorter behind him, comes back and yells "Where is RME?" (the name for the maintenance contractor)

"gently caress if I know!"

Call maintenance again. Still no show. Call Operations (floor management). Operations calls maintenance and finally explains how they need to get their rear end now. Because if Jackpot cannot run, the entire building does not run. Days left the building with maybe 30 minutes of work once they get their start-of-shift ducks in a row. This is not a fault on days: this is just the amount of buffered work that the lines can hold.

Maintenance and both the Ops and Sr. Ops managers show up to see what the gently caress!?

Another view of the loving tote that caused this poo poo from above. I swear it takes both me and the repairman a good five minutes to get this thing unstuck when he shows up. Both his aluminum pole from below and my fiberglass boat pole from above are bending pretty wildly by the time it pops free: I was seriously afraid I'd shatter my pole from bracing it against the railing. Anyways, clear what we can, poke the remaining poo poo that fell out down to the ground, get to work. Easy-peasy right?

Well Mr. Repairman tells the other maintenance guy by the reset button to hit it and then the poo poo hits the fan.

Or perhaps I should say the shredded heavy duty plastic and ring bearings literally hit the ceiling of the facility. It would be more accurate.

See none of us had noticed the damage that had been done to the belt's chute. The machinery starts moving and I jump away as the belt return chute vomits out a literal fountain of heavy duty plastic chunks. It's like being right next to a wood chipper someone just shoved a log through. Or since the chain belt segments are plastic with roller bearings to help guide them along the path perhaps it's more like being next to a wood chipper someone just shoved a bunch of roller skates through.

I freak.

The managers freak.

The repairman is shouting "SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN!"

The belt was shredded. You can see a complete absence of belt on the top section of the track, and on the lower passes you can see what the belt should look like.

Repairman is taking pictures and calling up literally everyone in RME. Tall manger man (Outbound Ops) is trying not to freak and racking his head for literally any ways they can work tonight. Short black manager woman (Senior Outbound Ops) is trying to figure out which dayshift manager's career she's probably gonna end for this fuckup. Or maybe tall manager is also planning murder he's just better at hiding it, the Sr. Ops was almost certainly planning a murder at this point. She is beyond pissed. Why?

Jackpot is down is why. This is going to take a complete rebuild of the belt which is going to take, minimum, the full 10 hour shift to do. I started shift at 18:25. It is about 19:00 and we're looking at a full shift SEV 2 for the entire building besides inbound. For those of you not familiar with SEV codes, replace "SEV" with "DEFCON". SEV 2 is "This department cannot work." SEV 1 is basically "This department is on literal fire and a hazard to organic life".

The managers are obviously not Not loving Happy. Even if the fault is 100% on Days, Nights will get chewed out if we're down for a full shift. Note that's "Chewed out in addition to", literally everything is logged here, even the radio calls are automatically logged. A fuckup of this magnitude means there will be An Investigation. Already RME is pulling up their data because they work from 13:00 to 23:00 so they were technically on site when this happened and didn't clear it: they want to know who the gently caress didn't call them and why if only to cover their own asses.

Apparently they can tell from various logs that the big jam happened 30 minutes before end of shift despite it not triggering any sensors (probably looking at a spike in power draw from the motor that runs the corkscrew), the jam at the top happened closer to the actual end of day shift at 18:00 and that one would cause the entire router to stop. No one noticed the tote router was down and no one turned it off, so no one looked at the error codes it would be spitting out. They just assumed someone else had turned the router off. No one double checked.

Thankfully AFE2 AM, the boss of the PA who called maintenance for me earlier, came in and the three of them figured out A Plan. Not A Great Plan, but probably about the best we can do.

The plan? Well they'll send my poo poo down to the problem solve area! All my work will be routed down the same chute (a literal slide) that serves both High Quantity Shipments and Cubiscan (making sure items are about the right size so they go in the right sized package). I can then put the work back on the recirc line nearby easy-peasy! At least in manager-space it is. Note that while they're working it out AM is doing his best to hide a grimace and failing even as he suggests this because he actually knows my job the best out of him, Ops and Sr. Ops. But they have to do something because letting an Amazon facility lose an entire shift of production without doing everything possible to work around the problem is Not Acceptable.

"So Jackpot has gone from a one person job to a small department? Because there is no way I can do this by myself, especially for a full shift."

"We will get you help once we get poo poo figured out. We're kind of in panic mode."

"I noticed." sigh "I will do this but I'm not going to be here tomorrow. You have no idea the mess you are unleashing. I know why you are doing this, and more or less have to try, but you don't understand."

Ops/Sr. Ops: "Thank you!"

AM: "I'll make sure yo have a cart ready..."

See everyone thinks Jackpot is "read books" and "put barcodes on unscannable items" and "take damaged totes off of the line" with a mix of "call out what department is slow and making me do more work."

Sr. Ops Lady understands only really the last part of my job because it's her job to get that department moving again.

Ops Guy walks by me and chats a lot so he has a slightly better idea of what I do, but he really doesn't understand.

AFE2 manager works next door to me (in the "the next house is 2 miles away" sense of "next door" but still next door), has cleared jams alongside me, 2 of the backup jackpot operators are his best indirects. He has a very, very good idea of what I do and what has been unleashed. He still does not fully understand what is being unleashed. All the small little jobs I do that are not technically part of my job but makes poo poo run smoother if not immediately but in the long term. You see: he honestly thinks I'm going to be able to do this all by myself. He knows I'll be tired, pissed, but okay by myself. No...this job is no longer a critical yet half-assable job.

First they divert the work. Or at least they try to. This is when they discover that a lot of my work is hard coded into the system, you cannot re-route it. All you can re-route is where the code "Unscannable" goes which is, again, to divert M13 where HiQ and Cubi go to. The rest? It will sit on the router forever until I interact with it.

The empty totes? Recirculate forever on the router because they have no destination besides Jackpot. Totes to various problem solve departments? Recirculate forever on the router because they need me to route them to said departments so they need to go to Jackpot first. Recirculating work because some department has backed up their buffer all the way to the router? It gets 3 tries and then recirculates forever until it passes through Jackpot which is down.

Seeing a theme here? The best part is no one but me realizes this for about 45 minutes as the router blows up despite my best efforts to be in two places at once because the unscannables are coming down a slide about 30-40 fee away from where I'm able to check the line.

Oh and it's not a nice, comfy, tame line that rolls work up to a station where it stops for me to work on it. No this is the Recirc line which is physically convenient but not actually supposed to be worked off of. Anything I need to work on I have to intercept and grab before pulling it off.

So now here is my new, temporary office. The far end of the router is the merge where the five input lines are put onto the main line/router. 4 inputs from the various parts of RSP ("Robotic Storage Platorm" i.e. inventory) and a 5th line for recirculating work that didn't reach a destination. Thankfully Recirc is on the outside (currently clear when I took the picture).

My job is to become the Human Scan Tunnel and stand there, scanning every tote I can with my Tote Jackpot app. Empty totes, I pull off. Problem Solve totes I pull off, most of these are totes full of damaged items and we just give them to Damageland next door. Virtually empty totes (have an item in them but say they're clear?) Take those off too. Now the line is made of rollers so I can hold a few totes there for a second easy-peasy but beyond 2-3 it gets real heavy and I'm just scanning every second or third tote when it gets busy. These totes don't move fast but they do move and I'm working at the fastest safe clip I can to scan/double check these totes, or identifying the ones I need to take off so I can work on them. I'm honestly letting a lot of stuff pass me by just because it's not worth getting hurt and it will loop right back around 2-3 minutes later for me to snag.

Oh and recirculating totes? Well since they can't automatically be cleared to recirc again by going through Jackpot, they need to be scanned with the Tote Jackpot tool. Manually. Every single one. That resets their lap counter so they can actually try to find their exit instead of doing endless laps.

Now I seem to have not mentiond anything about fixing unscannable barcodes. Why? Well they gave me One (1) Mac, Big. Yes, named after the pony (Amazon lets you call yourself whatever you want, one of my coworkers is Mondays, Manic. Another is Labrador, Sharkbait). No you'd never know because he's a fit ex-marine with his hair going grey. Mac is taking care of the unscannables, consolidating and checking in loose items so they can be put back into inventory, taking away stacks of empty totes, etc. etc. etc. Meanwhile I'm doing my best to, as he put it, "work on my carpal tunnel".

I'm so glad they sent the super chill ex marine. Of the other 3 options that are also jackpot capable, every one would have likely lost their temper at the very least and I wouldn't blame them.

Anyways we have a rough hour, hour and a half at first as we tried to figure things out but we get this under control. Things calmed down about the time the AM realizes he can't be here helping me and running his department and decides to grab Mac. Everything ran smoothly in the end...but the thing is I'm not doing a lot of the other things I'm usually doing.

Damaged totes or totes with damaged barcodes? Into the empty tote pile stack you're not getting thrown away tonight, instead you go right back into the reuse pile to cause headaches later!! Those totes with stray items in them? Neither of us are hunting down the orders they are supposed to go with, nor are we hunting down who made the mistake so they can be properly coached to generate less mistakes. I don't have my usual computer or program or even my usual excellent angle to see which lines are overflowing. Nor do I have my radio to call them out. I only have a small sheet of re-routing destination barcodes so a lot of work just goes "close enough". The area around where I work is usually Jam Central so I'm not straightening a jam every 15-20 minutes over there.

Normally either of us use maybe half or our rear end to do a full job and then some. Tonight it took two of us both using our whole asses to do half of our jobs.

In the end, the night was survived. Oh and I took a picture of how the rebuild was coming at the end of shift. I wonder at which point the damned thing will finally be online.

Remember: This is after nearly 10 hours of work and they have only 1.5-2 before day shift shows up

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 9, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Alkydere posted:

finding its rear end with both hands

This is the best part of that whole rant.

Also holy gently caress, I'm so sorry that poo poo happened. loving awful and gently caress day poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that was a ride.

And it explains possibly why stuff that should have been delivered to me on Monday is going to be delivered to me today or possibly tomorrow from Amazon warehouse. 😁.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is it weird that I feel more at home in this thread to grieve about poo poo in the US Postal Service than I do in the US fed jobs thread? Because that's a thread for people with real jobs, and I work a poor people job.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cowslips Warren posted:

Holy poo poo that was a ride.

And it explains possibly why stuff that should have been delivered to me on Monday is going to be delivered to me today or possibly tomorrow from Amazon warehouse. 😁.

For Amazon and UPS Surepost parcels meant for Sunday or holiday delivery by USPS from my office, anything we can't deliver on Sunday for some reason (no access to the apartment building, business closed, etc.) gets scanned as "available for pickup" and goes out for delivery on the next day with the rest of the mail. It confuses the poo poo out of so many people, because they come in on Monday and think they can pick up their parcel and we have to explain the issue.

The only reason we scan them as "available for pickup" is to stop the clock and prevent failure of delivery. It's basically cheating the system so that my postmaster doesn't get emails from his boss about what the gently caress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The most epic post in the retail thread in years. Sleep well, Alky.

Oh, and as per Section V, Rule 3(b)(ii) of The Internet, it's not a double post if a week has passed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

On the plus side, you now all have visual references on what a tote is

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I donno , I’m gonna need more pictures.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

So time to order more things from amazon to test out the new equipment right?

My work is having 'issues' where the site manager (who's roughly 5 levels below the Big Boss CEO) was shown the door on Friday, and now any time over 40 hours is being paid at 2x.

And no 'ask your manager if you can come in' just show the gently caress up please god we need you!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Getting real loving tired of SMs and DMs who've never worked the loving Fitting Room in their life dictating poo poo about the Fitting Room (the numbers pole has to face the customers? No it loving doesn't because they will straight up ignore me, grab a number that may not be right, and stroll on through the fitting room.)

In other news, one of our Area Supervisors stepped down -he's only been in that position since last December- and another one was, uh, let go -she hadn't even worked long enough to not need a chaperone- partly because she neevr loving did anything and just kinda wandered around all shift.

e:Alky that post is magnificent.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alkydere posted:

A miserable pile of shrapnel?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

idk who comes in as long as they leave me alone and don't make a mess

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Looters are kinda known for their mess making habits though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
So are customers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Got a little gossip about the timeline of last week's major fuckup:
-For reference day shift ends at 18:00
-At 17:35 diverts 1 and 38 both jam. Divert 38 is Jackpot (my station). Divert 1 is just a pack line.
-Jackpot divert is auto-entered as a trouble ticket but isn't called out on the radio
-Divert 1 is called out on the radio but system doesn't auto-enter it as a trouble ticket.
-Most of maintenance is getting ready to do a teardown and replace of a piece of equipment in 30 minutes over in outbound. Which is why they took so long to show up at Jackpot.
-1 maintenance dude is at his desk over near divert 1 doing paperwork. He calls out on the radio he's got it: clears the jam and clears the trouble ticket not realizing it was for another divert.
-Days leaves, Nights comes in. poo poo hits the fan.

Also I'd be absolutely terrified to see customers in an Amazon FC. Looters I'd at least understand why they were here. I'd wish them well with the inventory because those things will probably unironically kill someone who's on the robot floor without a radio vest announcing "squishy human here! Please slow down!". The robots are blind, they're only about a foot tall when not carrying the shelving units, they travel at a decent clip, and they're basically solid hydraulics, motor and battery so they're super heavy and have inertia when they smack you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sticksy posted:

So are customers.

I have never had to clean up the poo poo or vomit of a looter.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Leal posted:

I have never had to clean up the poo poo or vomit of a looter.

Looter will just ask me where the most expensive things are, won't complain about the price of them or expect me to care when they threaten to go to a competitor.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

People who steal from my store take as much as they can and leave no mess for me. Much better than those fuckers who go in the bathroom and poo poo all over the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

man we just upped the prices of all our stuff today. I think the most egregious examples were snap peas going from 4.99 to 9.99 and romaine going from 1.99 per head to 2.69 per head (which is not as remarkable i guess, but romaine used to be .99 per head before the pandemic iirc.) I did some rough math and came to the conclusion that, no, gas prices increasing by <20% should not equal a 35%+ increase in food price.

I actually had a cool conversation with a customer about it and we both came to the conclusion that it's a racket but I'm sure you all know that. I guess I'm just happy whenever a customer can agree that capitalism sucks and will kill us. it's kind of a rarity in these parts.