Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

I have a sudden need to hoard these all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I had some birthday cash, so I ordered one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVaL7gh85V0

Been on my list for a while! :)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Startyde posted:

It’s great, 2080 partials and the session card built in. Small enough to velcro under your board. You’re losing on higher fidelity partials(it’s fine) and istr an fx bus. If I didn’t have a 2080 I’d have one of them. If you don’t ever see yourself buying expansion ROMs, might be a pick.

Love my 1010, and fwiw it does have a single card slot

that being said the cards are even worse than the units these days and honestly if you're not doing GM stuff or dungeon synth idk if the value proposition is really there anymore

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Love my 1010, and fwiw it does have a single card slot

that being said the cards are even worse than the units these days and honestly if you're not doing GM stuff or dungeon synth idk if the value proposition is really there anymore

Well I only care about doing terrible synthwave, dungeon synth, and generally cosplaying as a 90's video game soundtrack composer so if anything this has sold me more on getting a 1010

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

curried lamb of God posted:

The Samples from Mars library is held in high esteem by a lot of people - it's $99 for all of their samples, but goes on sale frequently iirc

I bought this earlier this year and my review is a solid B+

https://samples.kb6.de/
imo this is a better (and cheaper) version of the concept, or goldbaby :filez: for like processed sounds if for whatever reason you don't wanna do it yourself. that being said I haven't dived deep into their synthesizer packs so maybe I'm missing some of the magic

but like one of my favorite things from the kb6.de site is all the EMU rompler (Orbit, Planet Phatt, etc) and workstation not-technically-drums-but! type stuff and I haven't found the Samples From Mars equivalent yet

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I only care about doing terrible synthwave, dungeon synth, and generally cosplaying as a 90's video game soundtrack composer so if anything this has sold me more on getting a 1010
Check these out for some tasty chip emulations.

https://library.vcvrack.com/KautenjaDSP-RackNES

https://library.vcvrack.com/KautenjaDSP-PotatoChips

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m working on a dungeon synth ep on my QY, it’s goin ok I think I would like a Roland GM rack thing too tho

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i plan on buying an old rack mount synth/rompler next month probably and i'm leaning towards a 1080 or a TR Rack but it all depends on what people are asking for them at that point

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m working on a dungeon synth ep on my QY, it’s goin ok I think I would like a Roland GM rack thing too tho

Get an SC-155, the QY can record the faders for pan and level.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480PixlMdRM

RMR Jeremy has publicly come out of the closet as a furry, he’s one of next year’s Guests of Honor at an event called Furry Weekend Atlanta if you, uh, wanna go see him play live I guess

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Worst-kept secret in on synth youtube.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like he flat out said it in a video a few months back when he showed the fursona one-sheet he commissioned

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel like he flat out said it in a video a few months back when he showed the fursona one-sheet he commissioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP3K5RN1Zps

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He mentions it pretty regularly I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And in hindsight the hints have been there forever. His desk decor has had foxes in it forever.

The going full public with it is the big deal.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

withak posted:

Worst-kept secret in on synth youtube.
He published Pataphysical in 2018 with this artwork on the cover

Doesn't seem like he was hiding anything.

https://soundvision.bandcamp.com/album/pataphysical

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

And then I spent the next hour making dying NES sounds.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

Get an SC-155, the QY can record the faders for pan and level.

That looks sweet

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

With Japanese imported stuff how compatible is that with a us outlet

I’ve bought Yamaha stuff from Japan and just used the usb to dc adapters because they’re all the same but idk for Roland stuff

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I’ve bought Yamaha stuff from Japan and just used the usb to dc adapters because they’re all the same but idk for Roland stuff

I got my SC-55 and SC-88 from Japan and they both were 110/120v units and had a standard US outlet power adapter, but idk if that's always the case. Are you looking at the SC-155 listed on Reverb, from Plain Store Gear Outlet? That's who I got my SC-88 from.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think it was the only one yea. I guess I thought us voltage was 120 and wondered if a lower voltage supply would break stuff

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I think it was the only one yea. I guess I thought us voltage was 120 and wondered if a lower voltage supply would break stuff

nah US electrical utilities are supposed to deliver between 100-125v so stuff that's rated for 110v is usually fine in the US, if something is rated for 110 or 120v they usually have a real tolerance that's wider than that. Basically all electronics fall into either "120v" or "220v" ratings but both are actually pretty loose in practice.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

A MIRACLE posted:

It's an external transformer/wall wart, you can use a center negative AC adapter rated for 120V in and 9V/500+mA out. Mine came with a Roland ACI-120J but an ACR-120 should work as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I feel like anyone who's surprised or gives a poo poo about a synth world person coming out as a furry or LBGTQIA hasn't spent a lot of time around synth world people, but, just like there exist Nazi Furry Battalions, I assume Fascist Modular Club is a thing somewhere

MockingQuantum posted:

nah US electrical utilities are supposed to deliver between 100-125v so stuff that's rated for 110v is usually fine in the US, if something is rated for 110 or 120v they usually have a real tolerance that's wider than that. Basically all electronics fall into either "120v" or "220v" ratings but both are actually pretty loose in practice.

on the other hand if you mix up transforming and switching PSUs, you might just end up with a dead UMC404HD :laugh:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Kaoss Pad NTS-3 looks dope, especially for someone like me looking for fx for my microfreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bi0V6TgB5M

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I feel like anyone who's surprised or gives a poo poo about a synth world person coming out as a furry or LBGTQIA hasn't spent a lot of time around synth world people, but, just like there exist Nazi Furry Battalions, I assume Fascist Modular Club is a thing somewhere

on the other hand if you mix up transforming and switching PSUs, you might just end up with a dead UMC404HD :laugh:

never trust a wall wart. or trust but verify, rather

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wonder if the minijacks on this are sturdier than the ones on the NTS-1? They don't look any better in the close-ups.

Also, I'm getting tired of instruments hiding cool stuff behind a 7seg display and a few cryptic buttons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Also, I'm getting tired of instruments hiding cool stuff behind a 7seg display and a few cryptic buttons.

Especially with how cheap small LCD screens can be.

But I guess music gear companies feel form is more important than function.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The parts cost similar, but it’s much simpler in software to drive a numerical display than it is to do all the pixel juggling a graphical display would require, and then that’s a whole new piece of software that needs to be maintained, not to mention a different skillset for the engineer.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

I can answer in the opposite direction - I live in Japan and everything I ever brought or ordered from the USA works fine here.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BPo30xumoU

SPACE folks. SPACE.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Kaoss Pad NTS-3 looks dope, especially for someone like me looking for fx for my microfreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bi0V6TgB5M

This looks really sweet. My first thought was “can I tape this to a guitar and have it be usable” but I would get it just for synths and it being a small and simple x/y midi controller.

I would usually complain about the display too but it’s more tradable than some other displays like that (like when I can’t even tell what letter it’s supposed to be representing). Looks cool too, and self assembly seems fun and straightforward.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah the "self assembly" of the NTS range is literally just so you get the IKEA feeling.

They're supposed to be moddable, but I don't know of many people actually doing that.

The fact they can take user effects plugins is neat though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I “modded” mine with an extra headphone jack because the factory one kept breaking.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

snorch posted:

The parts cost similar, but it’s much simpler in software to drive a numerical display than it is to do all the pixel juggling a graphical display would require, and then that’s a whole new piece of software that needs to be maintained, not to mention a different skillset for the engineer.

It’s cheap cheap cheap boms and I hate it. Maybe eventually someone will come up with some kind of rack unit. Maybe make it a standard..,

Startyde fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 15, 2024

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

I dig it!

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

So Math posted:

I had some birthday cash, so I ordered one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVaL7gh85V0

Been on my list for a while! :)

Got one of these yesterday. Had forgot about them and they've been hard to find locally.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Not hating but that kind of sounds like Dragster or Night Driver on Atari 2600 to me.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Boody posted:

Got one of these yesterday. Had forgot about them and they've been hard to find locally.

Mine just arrived this afternoon. I'm already hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey just a note to say bespoke synth seems to be the bee's knees. It's like a daw, but all the bits you'd find in a menu are broken out into separate modules that you patch together. I just gave it a quick whirl, and it only took a few seconds to figure out how to get a sequencer set up and feeding nonsense to a free vst from noise engineering. yep, I think this will work, and has an interface / workflow that my brain might be able to understand and enjoy learning. No charge either. The website has a donation to charity button.