Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Weedle posted:

Good thing they removed the headphone jack so nobody will have this problem anymore.

It's replaced with the shameful moment when your friend lets you play the music in the car and they hand you an aux cable, and you have to meekly explain what a gross outside you are :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

poppingseagull posted:

I'm guessing it was addressed in this thread and I missed it, but 11.0.2 is complete dog poo poo. My phone works maybe 50% of time. I tried to take a picture today and gave up because the video was always black. Apps crashing and things locking constantly.

I had some trust (maybe incorrectly) in Apple QC. That is completely out the window.

I did a complete backup and restore now, it didn't help at all and maybe made it worse.

I haven't had any issues since the initial ios11 release - the worst that happened was an app closing when I got a text and that hasn't happened more than once. Have any of you gotten serious problems like this? I might have just missed them too but I haven't heard any big gripes like those and mainly see stuff like battery life and UI complaints.

Edit:
[quote="“Weedle”" post=""477136341”"]
Good thing they removed the headphone jack so nobody will have this problem anymore.
[/quote]

I hate them for that and will forever because I bought a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones and my cans sit on a shelf because I lose the dongle or don't have it when I need it so often even though I have two

Edit again - so does anyone know how to fix the quotes? I see that it is adding an extra " and I don't want to have to go into settings every time this happens to disable smart punctuation. Is there a way to just fix it manually?

rio fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 7, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

poppingseagull posted:

My phone works maybe 50% of time. I tried to take a picture today and gave up because the video was always black. Apps crashing and things locking constantly.

I had some trust (maybe incorrectly) in Apple QC. That is completely out the window.

I did a complete backup and restore now, it didn't help at all and maybe made it worse.

Try backing up, DFU/recovery mode, and then set up as new and see if things work. It sounds like the update got messed up.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

buglord posted:

It's replaced with the shameful moment when your friend lets you play the music in the car and they hand you an aux cable, and you have to meekly explain what a gross outside you are :smith:

the trick is to not have friends

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friends don't let friends use aux cables.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

buglord posted:

It would be really shameful if any of my friends used aux cables in their car.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

rio posted:

Edit again - so does anyone know how to fix the quotes? I see that it is adding an extra " and I don't want to have to go into settings every time this happens to disable smart punctuation. Is there a way to just fix it manually?

I mean, editing the post and manually deleting the smart quotes and putting in normal quotes worked for me the one time I've tried that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

fourwood posted:

I mean, editing the post and manually deleting the smart quotes and putting in normal quotes worked for me the one time I've tried that.

What is a "smart quote" exactly? I saw two quotes at the beginning of the number, like this - ""#########" - so I deleted the first quote but it just shows the extra quote again when previewing the message.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rio posted:

What is a "smart quote" exactly? I saw two quotes at the beginning of the number, like this - ""#########" - so I deleted the first quote but it just shows the extra quote again when previewing the message.

It's a setting in iOS 1'1's keyboard that alters your punctuation depending on its usage, similar to the way Microsoft Word does. E.g. surrounding text in quotations uses the right-curving quote on the left and the left-curving quote on the right, instead of two vertical quotations, and converts two consecutive hyphens into one long hyphen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It fixed itself somehow. I just want to know how!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
There was a big change in spotlight (now just called search) in iOS11:

I used to have every aspect of this turned off other than searching apps, so I hold use it as a spotlight style app launcher - launch search, type a couple of letters, hit the app.

In iOS11 they've changed things: there is no separate set of toggles to decide *what* to search (it used to be: contacts, apps, emails, safari history).

There's just a per app toggle.

Rather than just toggling searching data inside the app, if you turn these toggles off, it actually prevents the apps showing up in search at all (at least until you've typed the entire name correctly).

Is there any way around this?
I don't want Siri/search to search in inside the contents of any of my apps (or maybe one or two).

I do want them to show up in search results as soon as I type the first letters of the app name.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

wooger posted:

There was a big change in spotlight (now just called search) in iOS11:

I used to have every aspect of this turned off other than searching apps, so I hold use it as a spotlight style app launcher - launch search, type a couple of letters, hit the app.

In iOS11 they've changed things: there is no separate set of toggles to decide *what* to search (it used to be: contacts, apps, emails, safari history).

There's just a per app toggle.

Rather than just toggling searching data inside the app, if you turn these toggles off, it actually prevents the apps showing up in search at all (at least until you've typed the entire name correctly).

Is there any way around this?
I don't want Siri/search to search in inside the contents of any of my apps (or maybe one or two).

I do want them to show up in search results as soon as I type the first letters of the app name.

If you find one, let me know, but as far as I can tell the answer to your question is no.

Edit: you can still say “open app name” to siri, which is the weakest of workarounds because enabling type to siri disables talking to her (keyboard microphone not withstanding)

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

The Dave posted:

It would be really shameful if any of my friends used aux cables in their car.

Why?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Ewooo, who uses an aux cord in 2017?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Aux cords are still cool because I can listen to my digital audio recorder on the way back from gigs. But since you can plug a lightning cable into the car (and Bluetooth or course) I haven't used an aux cord in a very long time even though my car is a 2000 Accord because the previous owner put a new stereo in it (which is what I assume everyone has done since the prices are so low?)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's the iPhone thread. If the iPhone doesn't do something you need it for, you're wrong and bad and dumb for wanting it and probably poor.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Edit: whoops, this isn't the iOS games thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Y'all enjoy your cars with fancy non aux cord ways of listening to music while I enjoy the full personality and charm that only a bare stock 2010 Honda Civic can provide.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Khablam posted:

It's the iPhone thread. If the iPhone doesn't do something you need it for, you're wrong and bad and dumb for wanting it and probably poor.

See this guy gets it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

Exactly, you should be using BT or the line-in via a lightning cable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Or pick up one of those BT pucks that plugs into your aux in line. Having two wires (charge and aux) coming out of your phone is shameful.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TraderStav posted:

I did until the aux port in my 2007 Honda Civic finally died. I missed the USB/Bluetooth revolution by one model year. :-(

Now I'm using the stock head unit to play MP3 CDs. I actually just bought a 50-pack spindle of CD-Rs the other day. Ask me about the turn of the millennium, we're taking callers.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

enojy posted:

I did until the aux port in my 2007 Honda Civic finally died. I missed the USB/Bluetooth revolution by one model year. :-(

Now I'm using the stock head unit to play MP3 CDs. I actually just bought a 50-pack spindle of CD-Rs the other day. Ask me about the turn of the millennium, we're taking callers.

Dude how can you stand that, get yourself a head unit that has Bluetooth or iPod control. It’ll cost you like maybe $100. Heck, you can get CarPlay-compatible ones for like $400ish.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lelandjs posted:

Dude how can you stand that, get yourself a head unit that has Bluetooth or iPod control. It’ll cost you like maybe $100. Heck, you can get CarPlay-compatible ones for like $400ish.

I was contemplating it, but I can't be hosed to install a headunit myself (in an apartment parking lot,) so that $100 Bluetooth headunit turns into like a $200+ headunit after bracket/harness/install fees. I figure I'll probably be trading this car in just a few years, so I can't convince myself to throw any money at it unless absolutely necessary.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d imagine with a civic it would be easy enough to get plug and play harnesses and installing the head unit would be a matter of unscrewing and then screwing a small amount of screws.

And if you plan on owning the car for years (I thought you were going to say months) then it makes even more sense. I was playing around with the aux cord comment but god drat no one should be burning cds to listen to in their car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those of you still living in the previous century, they even have a bluetooth cassette you can put in a tape deck and stream music through.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I once had an 02 accord that I put a BT headunit in for less than $100. It was simple. That was four years ago, likely only cheaper now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of CarPlay, what's a good site to look into aftermarket units for cars?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of CarPlay, what's a good site to look into aftermarket units for cars?

Crutchfield's

https://www.crutchfield.com

They would be my first choice. They sell their head units in kits with the correct harness for you car model, mounting brackets/adapters, tools, a model specific installation guide and access to an 800 number for installation assistance.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Dave posted:

I’d imagine with a civic it would be easy enough to get plug and play harnesses and installing the head unit would be a matter of unscrewing and then screwing a small amount of screws.

And if you plan on owning the car for years (I thought you were going to say months) then it makes even more sense. I was playing around with the aux cord comment but god drat no one should be burning cds to listen to in their car.

I use a bluetooth speaker because this car came with only a CD player and radio in 2008. Replacing it involves removing multiple pieces of trim and spudgering the thing out, as well as trying to find a replacement faceplate if I don’t want the new unit sticking out and shouting BREAK IN AND TAKE ME WITH YOU. fite me

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My car is old enough to drink and would have a cassette deck if it hadn't broken years ago. I listen to music on a portable bluetooth speaker turned up way too high so I can hear it over the sound of the air rushing past the windows that don't close.

I leave poo poo in my car all the time with zero fear of it getting stolen because no one is going to see opportunity in a sad '92 Explorer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I work in EMS, and two of our ambulances have aux inputs, as does the stereo in the garage. The other two ambulances have USB inputs, but they don't work. If I can't use an aux cable, I can't listen to music

I also can't switch to a non-IPhone because the building has a steel frame that acts as a faraday cage for the frequencies that ATT uses, so iMessaging on the wifi is how I stay sane on 24s

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 7, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure if this counts as watch or phone related but in ios11 I hate if I play music on my phone and the start driving directions, my watch is "occupied" with the music player screen and does not alert me to upcoming upcoming turns and whatnot unless I press the fat side button and switch active screens.

Laaaaaaaame

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Not sure if this counts as watch or phone related but in ios11 I hate if I play music on my phone and the start driving directions, my watch is "occupied" with the music player screen and does not alert me to upcoming upcoming turns and whatnot unless I press the fat side button and switch active screens.

Laaaaaaaame

You can turn that off in the raise to wake features in Watch.app

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I work in EMS, and two of our ambulances have aux inputs, as does the stereo in the garage. The other two ambulances have USB inputs, but they don't work. If I can't use an aux cable, I can't listen to music

I also can't switch to a non-IPhone because the building has a steel frame that acts as a faraday cage for the frequencies that ATT uses, so iMessaging on the wifi is how I stay sane on 24s

Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - Supports AptX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NLTW60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6gr2zbSSX0Y7R

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s a watch thing, but you fix it (kind of) with your phone.

In the watch app, go to Settings - General - Wake Screen and turn off Auto Launch Audio Apps.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

carry on then posted:

I use a bluetooth speaker because this car came with only a CD player and radio in 2008. Replacing it involves removing multiple pieces of trim and spudgering the thing out, as well as trying to find a replacement faceplate if I don’t want the new unit sticking out and shouting BREAK IN AND TAKE ME WITH YOU. fite me

I’ll admit that taking out trim isn’t ideal, but it’s often easier than you’d think. Usually it’s just a matter of removing a couple screws and then pulling the trim away. As for the faceplate, all but the cheapest aftermarket stereos have removable ones that you can pop on and off easily if you’re worried about theft where you live.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seconding Crutchfield. Various family members have had to get replacement car stereos over the years and all of them ordered from Crutchfield. They give you all the hardware you need and clear instructions.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 7, 2017

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, my provider does wifi calling, I've enabled it and the right stuff is showing up in the status bar.
Calls in and out work fine, and receiving an sms works fine but when I send an sms I get a "not delivered" error. Thing is, the sms does send despite the error. Any suggestions?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lotta poor folks without CarPlay ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair I wouldn’t have it either except Kia updated my 2014 Soul’s radio to add it for free, which I was pretty happy about. Most car makers don’t offer feature upgrades like that for previous model years, and if they do there’s a charge associated with it.