Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can I do 4x32@5800 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Can I do 4x32@5800 yet?

That’s going to be a resounding maybe. https://reddit.com/r/Amd/s/j9ipmGoUcq

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What does AGESA 1.0.0.7c do over the b variant?

--edit: JFC, there's so much dots in the version number, why do they keep changing the trailing letter instead of bumping the actual version number? Considering the changes are typically larger.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 4, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s going to be a resounding maybe. https://reddit.com/r/Amd/s/j9ipmGoUcq

That’s a lot of fiddling with settings I don’t understand, hmm. I wonder if it will get better before Zen 5.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

hobbesmaster posted:

There’s probably one person out there doing this and their reasoning would have to be “AMD is so bad at this. Now, Intel, there’s a company that actually knows how to gently caress over other hardware vendors”

I laughed a lot harder than I probably should have at this.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raf_Qo60Gi4

reminder: an AMD sponsored title

v-cache doesn't get the usual gains

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this game is so hosed that it seems premature to draw conclusions. wait for the first 5 patches and 2 gameready driver cycles and see what happens.

in fallout 4, creation engine liked memory bandwidth, and cache size, and having SSD available (NVMe probably mandatory now). maybe v-cache is just more than Creation can utilize but that's also a somewhat surprising/counterintuitive finding in a game as badly programmed as that, with the history of that.

maybe it's preferring the larger L1/L2 cache of alder and raptor over previous gens, and also the generally higher bandwidth?

does 5800X3D/7800X3D do good in ARMA3/Fallout 4? Those are sort of the bellwether memory bandwidth titles I'm thinking of and I'm curious whether X3D helps in that situation. Def does in counterstrike etc.

the "GPU busy" metric is also amazing and it's cool to see it be rolled out. it'd also be so supremely hilarious to go back and see who was getting tons of driver overhead in X thing. Witcher 3, Crysis 3, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 5, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I mean, the 7800X3D is still 15% faster than the 7700X in the most CPU-limited benchmark, which is pretty standard. Starfield just loves ADL/RPL in particular, it seems. At least the 7800X3D is performing better in this test than PCGH's test, likely thanks to the faster memory being used (Zen 4 scales more with memory than ADL/RPL). Turn on those XMP/EXPO profiles, folks.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Oof, the 5800X3D looks very pedestrian. Not what people hoping to ride out AM4 for as long as possible want to see.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't think we ever saw anyone do comparisons between the 5800X and 5800X3D for Skyrim vanilla vs Skyrim heavily modded, but that's the one area where people talk about the L3 cache being a big improvement.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If anyone owns a qualifying AMD product but doesn't have a starfield key, I have 2 spare amdrewards codes. They do require product verification and tying to a steam account.

list of qualifying product or product combinations. Both keys come from a 7800X3D but I think it awards you based on your hardware, so if you have a qualifying individual product on that page or a qualifying combination you should be good.

I'll pm them to the first two people who quote this.

edit: Sent them all out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 5, 2023

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Khorne posted:

If anyone owns a qualifying AMD product but doesn't have a starfield key, I have 2 spare amdrewards codes. They do require product verification and tying to a steam account.

list of qualifying product or product combinations. Both keys come from a 7800X3D but I think it awards you based on your hardware, so if you have a qualifying individual product on that page or a qualifying combination you should be good.

Yes please!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Khorne posted:

I could use one if you don't mind. Bought my 7800X3D a few weeks before they started the promotion and I wasn't able to talk CS into giving one to me.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Cygni posted:

Rumor is that its the exact same IO die as Zen4 without any silicon revision, so might not be much different for memory stuff. Still a ways off from knowing for sure, and I think your sentiment is smart regardless.

They can still have higher supported fabric speeds with the same die. Intel doesn't just support faster DDR5 but is also getting more raw bandwidth for any given DDR5 speed in general so I hope there's improvement.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dammit! My 7800X4D didn't qualify because it was Amazon Warehouse, if only I had checked the thread sooner

:negative:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Icept posted:

The worst part about waiting for Zen 5 is you have to wait another half year for the X3D parts

I'm waiting on desktop APUs, if that makes you feel any better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

Dammit! My 7800X4D didn't qualify because it was Amazon Warehouse, if only I had checked the thread sooner

i got some bad news for you, hombre, you might have gotten a chinese knockoff

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

is that good posted:

Good man. You building some sick nasty ITX box?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

ijyt posted:

Doesn't sound like you have it too bad, you're a whole dimension ahead of us!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LOL didn't even notice that typo

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry Mario, but your Cache is in another time stream.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sure it’s expensive, but that time loop logic branch predictor is a huge performance gain!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure it’s expensive, but that time loop logic branch predictor is a huge performance gain!

97.3% branch prediction accuracy guarantee! 2.7% chance the temporal cache locks itself into a grandfather paradox and dissipates via chronotron evaporation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Finally, a CPU that can run C°ntinuum: roleplaying in The Yet

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Icept posted:

Good man. You building some sick nasty ITX box?

that's the plan! one of these days

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Finally, a CPU that can run C°ntinuum: roleplaying in The Yet

i saw this and appreciated it

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

is that good posted:

Call me crazy, but I suspect now that they're putting igpus just good enough for office pcs on the io dies of chiplet ryzens maybe there won't be any more socketed monolithic APUs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VorpalFish posted:

Call me crazy, but I suspect now that they're putting igpus just good enough for office pcs on the io dies of chiplet ryzens maybe there won't be any more socketed monolithic APUs.

Given that every console and laptop part is still monolithic and will continue to be, laptops need big iGPUs more than desktops, and the current fastest iGPUs are all laptop only, AMD could pretty easily bring them to desktop if they wanted but they may not choose to.

If they don't sell them socketed they'll still be available in mini-PCs.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Twerk from Home posted:

Given that every console and laptop part is still monolithic and will continue to be, laptops need big iGPUs more than desktops, and the current fastest iGPUs are all laptop only, AMD could pretty easily bring them to desktop if they wanted but they may not choose to.

If they don't sell them socketed they'll still be available in mini-PCs.

That's what I mean; I'm guessing the chips they make will all be reserved for mobile/soldered, since they don't need them to hit the office pc market anymore.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD Phoenix2 CPU die shot featuring Zen4/Zen4c architectures has emerged

https://twitter.com/BusAlexey/status/1700534630481310003

....Does it feel like they kind of just.... obsoleted Mendocino with their own product?

Like, 7520U is 4c/8t, Radeon 610M, and 15W. This.... can pretty much slot into that same niche, but better all around.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 11, 2023

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

N5 is significantly more expensive than N6, so in terms of "are they going to ship millions of these" not really until N5 137mm^2 gets cheap enough compared to N6 100mm^2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mendocino is basically a chromebook chip, while this looks like it's a class above that in terms of power consumption and performance (and cost). Maybe we'll see it in low-end gaming handhelds and ultrabooks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 11, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Yeah, 137mm² of N5 vs 100 mm² of N6 means probably at least twice the cost.

Of course, given what all the other stuff you put in a laptop cost, it's probably sensible for most users to go for the better chip for dramatically better performance, especially in 1T.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is the whole 7800X3D chips and supporting motherboards frying themselves a solved problem? I recently ordered a 7800X3D and Aorus B650 Elite AX to replace my 3700X and have just learned about the issue from the Gamers Nexus videos covering the topic. I haven't built the new system yet, so the parts are still unused and in the box, and this news has me considering just returning them for a 13700KF build instead.

Has this issue been resolved? Are these chips safe to recommend/use again?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gunder posted:

Is the whole 7800X3D chips and supporting motherboards frying themselves a solved problem? I recently ordered a 7800X3D and Aorus B650 Elite AX to replace my 3700X and have just learned about the issue from the Gamers Nexus videos covering the topic. I haven't built the new system yet, so the parts are still unused and in the box, and this news has me considering just returning them for a 13700KF build instead.

Has this issue been resolved? Are these chips safe to recommend/use again?
I've not heard of any new issues for anyone who's updated to AGESA 1.0.0.6 (late April), and since then both 1.0.0.7a and b have come out, and 1.0.0.9 is supposedly being worked on.
It's also only an issue if you've got EXPO enabled before that version - and there's a fair chance that anything on the market now will come with a newer BIOS anyway.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've not heard of any new issues for anyone who's updated to AGESA 1.0.0.6 (late April), and since then both 1.0.0.7a and b have come out, and 1.0.0.9 is supposedly being worked on.
It's also only an issue if you've got EXPO enabled before that version - and there's a fair chance that anything on the market now will come with a newer BIOS anyway.

Yeah, I plan to update the BIOS before I install Windows, so hopefully I'll be fine. Thanks for the info!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah as far as I know it's well fixed at this point, just make sure you have a beefy cooling solution because it's still a toasty processor.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Yeah as far as I know it's well fixed at this point, just make sure you have a beefy cooling solution because it's still a toasty processor.

I'm gonna use my BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 from my current system, so hopefully, that will be adequate.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gunder posted:

I'm gonna use my BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 from my current system, so hopefully, that will be adequate.
Mine's been doing very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Shugojin posted:

i’ve got mine under a low profile cooler and it’s perfectly fine. doesn’t hit 5.0 or anything and it slows down when i use it for handbrake but in games it’s fine. people ask why not get 100% of the performance you pay for and i say the small build (perversion) is what i paid for, not benchmarks