Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Krile as a tank job, throwing shade at Alphinaud as he heals her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

theironjef posted:

I like the idea of a one pistol, one cutlass Pirate class that works a little like a non-magical version of the Red Mage, but I don't know how Krile would lead into it. Obviously she gets an eyepatch and a shoulder colibri.

combining this with the "scouting should be dual wielding" idea to make a class that's just cervantes from soul calibur

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Krile is probably whatever new healer or caster they do. The Scouting job would probably not be her thing no.

At the dramatic climax of the story, Krile lowers her hood to instead put on a conical party hat.

About 13% of the playerbase throws a three-month party, nobody else quite gets it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I forgot that Krile's weapon is a giant ball of bubblegum.

It’s not her’s. That’s Maroya’s Crystal Ball Eye. Krile just borrowed it a couple times.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

theironjef posted:

I like the idea of a one pistol, one cutlass Pirate class that works a little like a non-magical version of the Red Mage, but I don't know how Krile would lead into it. Obviously she gets an eyepatch and a shoulder colibri.

Wasn't that the original idea? Basically the Corsair from XI with Merlwyb being the "iconic" example for that, but then they went with MCH instead?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

the_steve posted:

Wasn't that the original idea? Basically the Corsair from XI with Merlwyb being the "iconic" example for that, but then they went with MCH instead?

Basically. Even back in 1.0 there was an idea for a Musketeer class (there's still signage for it in Limsa), but it eventually mutated into Machinist.

I've always thought it was because 'Shoots Good' just isn't enough for an MMO moveset.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cleretic posted:

Basically. Even back in 1.0 there was an idea for a Musketeer class (there's still signage for it in Limsa), but it eventually mutated into Machinist.

I've always thought it was because 'Shoots Good' just isn't enough for an MMO moveset.

'Just Guns' is a hard design space to work with, about the only way you'd be able to make a functional gunner character in XIV and make it feel correct would have to be something like Gene Starwind's Caster. And at that point you got a Gun Wizard.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gearhead posted:

And at that point you got a Gun Wizard.

Wouldn't be the first

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wouldn't be the first

That's just Blue Mage with extra steps.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wouldn't be the first

There are worse places to mine for content.

Here's an option for Krile being, somehow, involved in the reveal of whatever the next Job is without her being something uncharacteristic: Have it be a combat technique the Sons have uncovered and she comes to the WoL for help in figuring out how it worked. It certainly wouldn't be the first time we basically created the modern interpretation of a lost (or foreign) art of some sort.

G'raha seems to be the one doing the heavy lifting on Mysteries of the Realm, which leaves me wondering what SHE is doing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gearhead posted:

'Just Guns' is a hard design space to work with, about the only way you'd be able to make a functional gunner character in XIV and make it feel correct would have to be something like Gene Starwind's Caster. And at that point you got a Gun Wizard.

'Just Bows' is hard for basically the same reason, which is why we have Bard instead of Hunter.

It's actually sort of a fun situation; pretty much every MMO has had to grapple with this problem, and very few of them end up with the same solutions. My favorite was always City of Heroes, who leaned into the fact they were making a superhero game and made their 'bow', 'rifle' and 'pistols' movesets into Green Arrow, Rob Liefeld and John Woo pastiches respectively.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

WoW more or less manages it by making it a choice between "Animal Man Dan" "Melee Animal Man Dan, but less animal" and "Perfect shot, no animals". It isn't always perfect, but Marksmanship does a lot out of "Just guns/bows/crossbows".

In any case, this discussion is why I think Gambler with dual-pistols is a reasonable option for Scouting, since there's at least a thematic link between gambling and six-shot revolvers at minimum.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I remember some discussion of alchemist, wandering into battle dual weilding potions and flasks with a lot of grenade like skills would be pretty funny.

Pretty sure that idea eventually turned into sage though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FunkyFjord posted:

I remember some discussion of alchemist, wandering into battle dual weilding potions and flasks with a lot of grenade like skills would be pretty funny.

Pretty sure that idea eventually turned into sage though.

Chemist has been aborted twice now. First time it got blended with Musketeer and became Machinist, second time it became Sage.

That definitely says there's will to make Chemist, but it just hasn't come together.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Chemist might make more sense as a DPS than a healer in FF14 tbh

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What would you do? Poison people? Throw acid at them? Seems a bit less honorable than punching or slicing them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

What would you do? Poison people? Throw acid at them? Seems a bit less honorable than punching or slicing them

Yeah haha can you imagine inflicting the nonstop burning of a theoretical sun on your foes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The WoL encounters a disillusioned and recently unemployed Gleaner who gifts them their soul stone after it reacts to the WoL's ambiguously sized bag. the job is a mix of Gambler and Chemist as you pull random poo poo out of your bag to Use against the enemy in various combinations like Rikku. You periodically get salaries from Sharlayan the more you walk around on foot like in FF8. Scouting gear

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

100's of millions dead thanks to Riqi-Tio's invention, dynamite

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
mascot job a la X2

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gearhead posted:

As someone who loves Outlaw Star to an unreasonable degree, I cannot fully express how ok I would be with letting my character have a Caster Gun.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

Just make Chemist a tank who is constantly drinking their own potions/experimenting on themselves.

Literally just Singed from League as a Chemist Tank.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Where was it stated that Sage and the defunct Muskateer were supposed to be chemist?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Chillgamesh posted:

I love the idea of Chemist as a Scouting job with, like, darts or Arkham Scarecrow-style syringe-claws, and I do think it'd work as sort of an alternative take on the mudra system; slap together different reagents for different effects.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Where was it stated that Sage and the defunct Muskateer were supposed to be chemist?

For Sage, turns out, it was Gamer Escape that asked! (I think other sources did too, I vaguely recall first reading this from a site with a cooler color palette, but this is the one I found)

Unfortunately I can't dig up similar for Machinist, at least on short notice.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I hope the next job is a healer that uses scouting gear

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Personally, I want 5 new Jobs, one each for Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, and Caster DPS. And they all dual weild Shields.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I love the idea of Chemist as a Scouting job with, like, darts or Arkham Scarecrow-style syringe-claws, and I do think it'd work as sort of an alternative take on the mudra system; slap together different reagents for different effects.

For Sage, turns out, it was Gamer Escape that asked! (I think other sources did too, I vaguely recall first reading this from a site with a cooler color palette, but this is the one I found)

Cool, thank you.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think you can see pretty clearly the outlines of chemist in sage and also why it doesn't work. Eukrasia is a nothing ability that doesn't seem in any way to go towards the sage class fantasy (of...nu Gundam healer? I don't really Get sage), it's just a toggle you hit on your DOT and a bunch of abilities you probably aren't usually using.

but it makes a ton of sense to me as mix, with eukrasia representing the vestige of a system where you change abilities by "mixing" them with different eukrasia-type buttons. personally I would not want to play an all-eukrasia class, which seems like it could be frustratingly unresponsive and unintuitive.

just a theory but knowing that sage derives partly from chemist designs, it makes the most sense to me. unfortunately dps chemist seems to share a lot of design space with both ninja (mudras) and bard (party buffs). actually ninja also has a significant party buff (well, enemy debuff) too ig

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dancer should have been a tank job. It's all about being the center of attention.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we could go for more jobs that use shields tbh if only because it feels like a glamour dresser tax to have both swords and shields in there

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

blatman posted:

I hope the next job is a healer that uses scouting gear

My dumb wishlist item is a non-magical combat medic themed healer, they could use scouting gear

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They really couldn't, a healer with a non-healer armor type just isn't going to happen.

I mean, they could, but they're probably not going to do that.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'd be down for scouting to be a kind of green mage/geomancer. It could wield a bell-mace.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

the_steve posted:

As someone who loves Outlaw Star to an unreasonable degree, I cannot fully express how ok I would be with letting my character have a Caster Gun.

Gunbreaker is the closest we'll get to that, but the cartridges are just pure energy and the user still shapes them for special effects (healing, a shield) like a normal magic user person.

Except Thancred, who just dumps raw energy into the blade.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gunbreaker is the closest we'll get to that, but the cartridges are just pure energy and the user still shapes them for special effects (healing, a shield) like a normal magic user person.

Except Thancred, who just dumps raw energy into the blade.

No he doesn't, Thancred needs other people to make the cartridges for him, that's why he can initially only use cartridge attacks with Ryne in the party, but later on she teaches Y'shtola and Urianger so they can do it too.

Oh wait, I just reread what you're saying. In any case the Cartridges are made of Aether yes, and Thancred uses them for the Cartridge spending attacks but needs other people to give him the cartridges regardless. I don't think the healing/shield are meant to be cartridge based (which is why they don't cost a cartridge).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, I meant he dumps raw energy from the cartridges into the blade, no refinement due to no aether control. His movesets as a trust are actually surprisingly limited, especially if someone who can provide cartridges is absent. Thankfully this is aesthetic and does not effect his damage output.

Those moves don't spend a gameplay cartridge, no, but a lot of moves are obviously cartridges being fired. Gunmetal Soul has you firing an entire set of them to create the LB3 shield, for example.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I could see chemist working as one of those other limited jobs Yoshi P mentions from time to time. Gotta collect the parts to make the pots then you get the cool moves. I've always felt like the way to finish what they started with blue mage was to take a bunch of class concepts that work with monsters but won't get made into full classes (artist, monster tamer, mimic/whatever Gau is, calculator) and have them all he able to form parties and run content together.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

It came up in at least one of the live letters or q&a/design panels, I was watching it when it was mentioned but I couldn't refer you right now to the relevant one(s), since it may go all the way back to the pre-Heavensward days. I recall that Chemist was supposed to use a "medic gun" and when they felt that wasn't really working the gun animation work got carried over to Machinist while the "Mix" mechanic they'd worked up turned directly into the Astrologian card mechanics (that's why in 3.0-4.0 you had one card for base effect and one card for modification).

Valentin's likely on the money for Eukrasia being another go at Mix.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

the_steve posted:

They could do this, it's one of the gimmicks I think about when I idly daydream about a cutlass and pistol pirate. Give them slow ninjutsu basically. Which is to say, an ogcd called load with a 10 second cooldown that gives you a bullet, up to 3 and then a gcd called fire where you shoot your gun and it does something different based on bullet count. Like 1 bullet would be a damage buff, 2 an aoe and 3 a big ST hit if I wanted to be boring about it. Would give scouting gear a core gimmick in the same way striking jobs attack fast (so does nin yes I know shh) and maiming jobs are more slow. Would also give them a reverse red mage combo where you leap out, do a series of fast ranged attacks and then swing back in for a big melee hit. Make their gap closer swinging around on a rope out of nowhere and kicking people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
theyre going to add beastmaster as a new limited scouting job and piss everyone off