Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

CCKeane posted:

Imgay raises am important point. An onion ring is just sensible.

"Is that a diamond?"
"No, just a really big piece of sea salt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If the two people have comparably the same amount of food and drink, then sure whatever, a couple of bucks either way is fine just split it down the middle or give them a $20, whatever is easiest. But I don't drink and alcohol is expensive so no, I will not be subsidizing your drinking. I also don't really eat a lot so if I get a soup and you get 3 courses then I'll give you whatever my soup cost, but we're not splitting. This is only really a problem in a big group though, since literally any restaurant in the world can separate 2 people's bills.

Kashuno posted:

Tell them that life is not fair

Life is extremely fair. Do the assignment, get the mark. Do some colourful bullshit to distract from the fact that you didn't actually do half the work and you don't get the mark.

This assignment was incredibly easy too. I talked about it around Christmas when I was marking most of them, but I guarantee that any of you with absolutely no knowledge about the course or even the field could do well on this assignment. There was even a template to follow for what sections to include and what specific things to put in each section. I guarantee you that everyone who followed the template got 100%. Why make things more difficult for yourself by trying to make it look all fancy and then missing information?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina posted:

Guys this has nothing to do with dating, but my favourite complaint I get while TAing is someone bitching about their mark and saying "I worked really hard on it" or "I spent a lot of time on it" or "I wrote a lot" like that means anything. You didn't complete half of the required sections, I don't care that you spent hours making fancy colourful headngs.

I agree, and this happens a lot in work. Some people value movement over direction.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I agree, and this happens a lot in work. Some people value movement over direction.

That is a good phrase and I will steal it for my own purposes.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

I also have anecdotal evidence (four years as a server) that splitting by seat and splitting into equal bills are both, at any modern restaurant, devastatingly easy tasks. The idea that it's difficult to split by seat is a myth with the advent of modern POS machines: there's no reason to ever split equally among everyone. You pay for yourself.

The only time it's hassling someone is if you're at some old-timey place with an ancient cash register, and even then it's not that hard to do math if you're a server and math is like 25% of your job.

Also, perhaps there needs to be a differentiation made between splitting (which to me means equal no matter what you ordered) and separate (you pay for what you are).

TL;dr i have strong opinions about separate checks for some reason

My restaurants all had modern POS systems, but making any changes to checks required us to find a manager to swipe their lovely card thing, and thus was a hastle. Also having to remember which person ordered what at the end of a meal.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

If the two people have comparably the same amount of food and drink, then sure whatever, a couple of bucks either way is fine just split it down the middle or give them a $20, whatever is easiest. But I don't drink and alcohol is expensive so no, I will not be subsidizing your drinking. I also don't really eat a lot so if I get a soup and you get 3 courses then I'll give you whatever my soup cost, but we're not splitting. This is only really a problem in a big group though, since literally any restaurant in the world can separate 2 people's bills.

Maybe you should start drinking

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Maybe you should start drinking

Nah, drinking is bad and dumb.

I also find drunk people to be unbelievably obnoxious.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
drinking is actually cool and good, not many people know that it's sort of a secret.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you are drinking and other people are not drinking, I guarantee that those people hate you and think you are annoying as hell.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

Nah, drinking is bad and dumb.

I also find drunk people to be unbelievably obnoxious.

Counterpoint: Drinking is great, and fun

Classy folk who can handle their booze don't turn obnoxious, they just become more interesting

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

If you are drinking and other people are not drinking, I guarantee that those people hate you and think you are annoying as hell.

who cares what some uptight water sipper thinks

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Counterpoint: Drinking is great, and fun

Classy folk who can handle their booze don't turn obnoxious, they just become more interesting

If you need alcohol to be interesting I feel sorry for you.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

I will give you 20 dollars if you offer her an onion ring instead of an engagement ring. 20 dollars cash money.

EccoRaven posted:

I will give you an additional $20.

Make it 500 each and I'll do it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

No, what I said was I need alcohol for YOU to be more interesting

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

Make it 500 each and I'll do it.

what am I a rockefeller

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

well of course not, because of the implication.

Nah because she already told me she would because she has been bothering me about marrying her for the past 3 years.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

what am I a rockefeller

I don't really care either way, that's just the price for me to do that.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Nah because she already told me she would because she has been bothering me about marrying her for the past 3 years.

what if its all an elaborate ruse to completely own you

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

what if its all an elaborate ruse to completely own you

She isn't that smart.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

drinking is actually cool and good, not many people know that it's sort of a secret.

Says the person with a drugs are bad stance.

Alcohol is a drug Ecco, hth.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

JakeP posted:

My restaurants all had modern POS systems, but making any changes to checks required us to find a manager to swipe their lovely card thing, and thus was a hastle. Also having to remember which person ordered what at the end of a meal.

We had it so you just put in the order by seat and then if you want to separate by seat it was just a single button. It shouldn't really be making a change if you entered it in correctly.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

So is love

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

Says the person with a drugs are bad stance.

I have never had that stance and in fact have explained my position in the past, it is you who are the bad.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

We had it so you just put in the order by seat and then if you want to separate by seat it was just a single button. It shouldn't really be making a change if you entered it in correctly.

yeah none of the restaurants I have worked at had that kind of system, that seems more like a fine dining thing. The places that I would go out with my friends are mostly pubs, which definitely don't have a by seat system.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Drugs are good as long as they are weed

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think a lot of drugs are good

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm the one who is anti pot, since it has the POTential to kill you.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
they call it reefer because if you smoke it you'll be swimming with the fishes.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's called grass because you might as well put yourself six feet under it imo

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Happy Xul day from the Nexus!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

Drugs are good as long as they are weed and mushrooms

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
mushrooms are like natures weed

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Fun fact: Druggies inject mushrooms instead of eating them. Because you are what you eat and Druggies are never going to be a fun guy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Alcohol is good in moderation

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Alcohol is good in moderation

So is vitamin D

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Asiina posted:

I don't need to be skydiving to be interesting but that doesn't change the fact that skydiving is fun.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

I don't need to be skydiving to be interesting but that doesn't change the fact that skydiving is fun.

skydiving is terrible because I don't believe in tempting fate.

Also it was Jake who said that drinking makes you more interesting.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

Guys this has nothing to do with dating, but my favourite complaint I get while TAing is someone bitching about their mark and saying "I worked really hard on it" or "I spent a lot of time on it" or "I wrote a lot" like that means anything. You didn't complete half of the required sections, I don't care that you spent hours making fancy colourful headngs.

Teaching film production, I actually had a section that essentially ammounted to "effort" in their grade breakdown. When they made that argument, I could actually point to that section and go "I agree! But everything else was terrible."

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

Also it was Jake who said that drinking makes you more interesting.

please stop misquoting me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

Teaching film production, I actually had a section that essentially ammounted to "effort" in their grade breakdown. When they made that argument, I could actually point to that section and go "I agree! But everything else was terrible."

I mean, I'm not totally heartless. I remember handing in assignments in high school and university in fancy folders and colourful title pages or in a font I really liked and I'll never mark someone down for doing that, but when you have 250 to mark you realize none of that matters in the slightest. You could submit a text file of your assignment and if you have the information and there aren't too many spelling or grammatical errors you get 100%.

When marking exams it was usually that people would answer short answer questions worth 6 marks by saying the same point over and over again using different words, but they think because they filled the space that they should get full marks (literally what a student has said to me).