Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaius Marius posted:

Printers suck dick, if never let one in my house. You need something printed go to kinkos

I'm not driving half an hour to a Kinkos and half an hour back just to get something printed. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

fizzymercy posted:

I also think chromebooks belong in the garbage but that's just me whining.

IMO, Chromebooks of today are like netbooks were - you can get a good one, but at that point you might as well buy something that isn’t a glorified web browser.

I’m probably jaded from the lovely Chromebooks my son’s school distribute, though. The things are built like they’re Happy Meal toys and as responsive as a patient coding on an operating table. Every time I use one I can’t help but think that I’d rather be using my laptop from 2004.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Sony shouldn't have stopped making laptops. Vaios were much cooler looking than most laptops we have today.

e: apparently they're their own company now...but i still never see them in any stores, physical or internet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t remember the last time I printed something other than for school, which has printers

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The IT department would probably want to fire me for asking this, but why doesn't linux set the memory limits to be unlimited by default? We're doing a computer, why would we ever want limits? Just do it and if there's a problem let me sort it out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Crocodiles, alligators, etc., are the perfect animal. Brutally beautiful, without mercy, cold, submerged. Ready to pounce.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Intentionally restricting the amount of color in your children's life, in order to teach them not to find pleasure in life.

Give them crayons and things of that nature? They can colour in the pages which, oddly enough, is considered fun in itself!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Crocodiles, alligators, etc., are the perfect animal. Brutally beautiful, without mercy, cold, submerged. Ready to pounce.

They don't have guns though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Or do they? We just don't know.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

doverhog posted:

Except you can hypnotize them by pushing down near their eyes and loving up their inner ear signals, kinda like when you grab a cat by the scruff

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If they had invented gunpowder and metal working would they still be animals? They have however survived in almost the same form for a very long time, longer than the dinosaurs ever did.

Now they just have to survive a bit longer, like a few hundred years tops, until human civilization has suicided and the survivors return to being apes, and they can go back to being top dog in their watery realm.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Printers suck dick, if never let one in my house. You need something printed go to kinkos

printers are good as long as you get a monochrome laser, it will happily print whatever you ask it to

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

If they had invented gunpowder and metal working would they still be animals? They have however survived in almost the same form for a very long time, longer than the dinosaurs ever did.

Now they just have to survive a bit longer, like a few hundred years tops, until human civilization has suicided and the survivors return to being apes, and they can go back to being top dog in their watery realm.

The sentient squid might be the ones who finally do them in

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

a big part of me still thinks meeting people you know online is weird. i know its all normalized now but id still think twice before meeting anyone if i dont know for sure that id like them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

a big part of me still thinks meeting people you know online is weird. i know its all normalized now but id still think twice before meeting anyone if i dont know for sure that id like them

I’ve meet a few goons IRL and it’s always been fun and I’m looking forwards to meeting with the Boston thread goons when that’s a thing again.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Shibawanko posted:

I would never want to meet anyone I've only ever known online in person. It would ruin the online experience for me and likely the person would be awful and weird

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's always amusing to me what a mirror that question is 'Would you meet someone offline who you met online?' if it's a resounding no out of fear that they'd be bad and annoying, that person is universally unpleasant to be around. If it's a 'yeah sure, it's just a person' then that person is always just a regular cool person to hang out with.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I moved countries to date someone I met online. It worked out fine.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

It's always amusing to me what a mirror that question is 'Would you meet someone offline who you met online?' if it's a resounding no out of fear that they'd be bad and annoying, that person is universally unpleasant to be around. If it's a 'yeah sure, it's just a person' then that person is always just a regular cool person to hang out with.

I think people who invent stories about other people online without actually knowing anything about people are obnoxious narcissists

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Badactura posted:

I think people who invent stories about other people online without actually knowing anything about people are obnoxious narcissists

I agree. I mean look at this post?

Badactura posted:

the person would be awful and weird

That's just a made-up event this person came up with to malign a hypothetical person for no reason, to make themselves look cooler than someone who'd meet someone online. Obnoxious as fuuuuck.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Meeting online people irl left a bad taste in my mouth after a fellow officer in my guild "seduced" me and it let to drama in game. :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Agreed. There’s this lack of realization that the other party is ALSO meeting someone from online, offline and you’re projecting this idea of yourself being boring, dull, or socially awkward in person. Like, hell, the online people I met IRL, I already had a good time talking to, which is an advantage the friends I met offline never had.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Agreed. There’s this lack of realization that the other party is ALSO meeting someone from online, offline and you’re projecting this idea of yourself being boring, dull, or socially awkward in person. Like, hell, the online people I met IRL, I already had a good time talking to, which is an advantage the friends I met offline never had.

I figured out whether I had a good time talking to my friends before I decided to become friends with them too

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Exactly! It's always been a chill experience, even if there's a little social awkwardness at first.

doverhog posted:

Meeting online people irl left a bad taste in my mouth after a fellow officer in my guild "seduced" me and it let to drama in game. :shrug:

I'm really sorry that happened to you, that person sounds like a weird jerk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I moved countries to date someone I met online. It worked out fine.

You ended up in the U.S., though?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

Exactly! It's always been a chill experience, even if there's a little social awkwardness at first.

I'm really sorry that happened to you, that person sounds like a weird jerk.

Lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
People don't talk enough about how eagerly the French collaborated with the nazis

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Badactura posted:

I figured out whether I had a good time talking to my friends before I decided to become friends with them too

Yeah but you didn’t have a good time talking to them before you started talking to them. I don’t get how that is hard to understand.

Captain Monkey posted:

Eh, it’s just like meeting someone offline, there’s always something you notice to kick off a conversation even if it’s completely banal like work or the weather.

poo poo, I met my last girlfriend on tinder, she had no bio outside of being an ecologist, and when she asked what’s up I told her I was trying to find where the smell of dead thing coming from under my work trailer was.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

where the smell of dead thing coming from under my work trailer was.

Well?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dead feral cat under my boss’s office.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

im really normal and most people describe me as really friendly but online is just a different realm and i don't want to mix the two. meeting someone like you like online is like watching a really bad movie adaptation of a book

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

im really normal

I don't believe you

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
unpopular opinon; i really enjoy shibwankos posts both in here and the unpopular videogames opinion thread, i don't agree with them 100% of the time and they have this fine line of craziness where he might be 100% serious and he might just be getting a rise out of people but regardless he's never an outright dick about it and posts consistently enough that it keeps the thread moving

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

unpopular opinon; i really enjoy shibwankos posts both in here and the unpopular videogames opinion thread, i don't agree with them 100% of the time and they have this fine line of craziness where he might be 100% serious and he might just be getting a rise out of people but regardless he's never an outright dick about it and posts consistently enough that it keeps the thread moving

Yeah I like shib's borderline insane person posts, I just try to let other people know that's their gimmick when they come out swinging trying to argue with shib about some weird thing they hate.

Shibs just a not as well known as LoB, basically, in my mind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Him and 3D Megadoodoo have this way of talking where I can’t tell if it’s trolling or Northern European smugness.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Him and 3D Megadoodoo have this way of talking where I can’t tell if it’s trolling or Northern European smugness.

i think its northern european smugness, i do that myself a lot, particularly when comparing american and british television

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i think its northern european smugness, i do that myself a lot, particularly when comparing american and british television

Aren’t you Scottish? That’s not even on the same ballpark of smug, and I say that as someone whose mom once shut up a barful of people by caber tossing a small telephone pole. Much less technical and way less joyless, Scottish smugness.

Also way less comprehensible.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Jan 30, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it unpopular to say someone should take the northern europeans down a peg? Insufferable all of them. West Germany is borderline. The south and east can be my friends.

PHUO: the only countries in Western Europe are France, Switzerland, and Ireland.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Unpopular opinion: Northern Europeans are only as smug as they are because they’re trying to cover for all the nazi collaboration that went on, and their history of exploiting the third world for massive profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Unpopular opinion: Northern Europeans are only as smug as they are because they’re trying to cover for all the nazi collaboration that went on, and their history of exploiting the third world for massive profit.

as opposed to, say, spain