Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard's single greatest power seems to be not picking fights unless absolutely necessary

which is honestly a cool power in a series about punching people real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blackbeard is a very patient oppurtunist, which is a thing most OP characters arent.

Hes from the same generation as shanks and buggy and while those two have been doing things for all that time, blackbeard has, in the mere span of the two-so years that is OP, went from a relative nobody, to serious shichibukai candidate, to the man who brought down whitebeard and took his seat as yonko, with a crew of the pirates so heinous or strong the marines decided to erase them from common knowledge and disappear them in Impel Down.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
Is it just me or is King the Fire, literally, on fire?! There seems to be flames right behind is head
Maybe we have another fire fruit user here? We've seen Magma and Flame though, not sure what else could be here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Plutonis posted:

Also holy poo poo. Oda brings back Blackbeard... November 22 2018, the third centenary of IRL Edward Teach's death. Layers upon layers.

This is probably why the chapter was delayed, ha.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

anime was right posted:

blackbeard's single greatest power seems to be not picking fights unless absolutely necessary

which is honestly a cool power in a series about punching people real good

He's also a massive idiot every now and then. Walking into Impel down and getting basically your entire crew murdered by Magellan? Oops. Good thing Shiryu bailed him out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

He's also a massive idiot every now and then. Walking into Impel down and getting basically your entire crew murdered by Magellan? Oops. Good thing Shiryu bailed him out.

He has similar luck to Luffy.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I can’t believe we are nearing the end game of something I’ve supported, cherished, pored over details with for over half my life. Much more, I can’t believe its quality has never gone done but up, with the notable exception of one or maybe two arcs (Fishman Island and Dressrosa) despite existing for over 20 years. Seeing the answers to years worth of build up makes every week I read One Piece an adventure. One Piece will go down as a modern classic when it is complete and should be cherished and passed down to future generations. It’s odd to say that about a comic book but it’s how I feel.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 24, 2018

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

that happens every time. remember when Jesus found the revolutionaries hideout? we only found out through the paper that they raided and trashed the place.

It's actually a good thing that it happens. It's part of what keeps the One Piece world from feeling small and asspully. poo poo happens that not only doesn't involve the protagonists, but that sideswipes the audience as well. We have a far more limited 3rd person god perspective than usual, and it keeps us both wanting more as well as accepting that nothing revolves around the Straw Hats.

Without this and things like post arc world wide reactions or cover story arcs about Colby or Buggy, we'd be living in a Bleach style world. In my opinion it's a superior cousin of how the Song of Ice and Fire series uses diffuse 1st person to expand it's world. The fact that we both see that things are happening that don't strictly involve our protagonists while also mostly sticking with the story surrounding our protagonists makes it feel more expansive. It definitely seriously suppresses the common issue of new bad guys. Namely, who the gently caress are they and why the gently caress have they never done anything in this story up to this point?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I like that we never see the results happen. Same thing happened with Ace vs Blackbeard. Not seeing who won and the aftermath created hype and discussion among fans. It’s deliberate and it’s a good storytelling move. It makes One Piece feel even more vast.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Especially since this is a weekly manga, I feel like it would kinda suck to have x number of months without any of the Strawhats on the page. As hype as the War of the Best was, I was restless to have the Strawhats back and I really miss having the whole crew together even now.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Something I just thought while reading the chapter again: shouldn't all of the animals that Tama is the master of now be "free" so to speak? She fell unconscious when Kaidou attacked her, so that ought to dispel the effect of her devil fruit. Seems like that big dog was looking after Tama at the start of Act 2, and I think Umami was still worried about Tama when Luffy found her following Kaidou's attack.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Maybe it remembers the taste and likes it so much it's staying by her side for more

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Shoren posted:

Something I just thought while reading the chapter again: shouldn't all of the animals that Tama is the master of now be "free" so to speak? She fell unconscious when Kaidou attacked her, so that ought to dispel the effect of her devil fruit. Seems like that big dog was looking after Tama at the start of Act 2, and I think Umami was still worried about Tama when Luffy found her following Kaidou's attack.

I dunno if it was ever stated that the "cancels on unconsciousness" thing applies to every single devil fruit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tolth posted:

I dunno if it was ever stated that the "cancels on unconsciousness" thing applies to every single devil fruit.

It wasn't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SatansBestBuddy posted:

keep live posting

the banging don't stop

A man with a lion on his stomach just got punched in the nuts by the lion

His nuts are also the lions nuts

One Piece rules

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Himuro posted:

I can’t believe we are nearing the end game of something I’ve supported, cherished, pored over details with for over half my life. Much more, I can’t believe its quality has never gone done but up, with the notable exception of one or maybe two arcs (Fishman Island and Dressrosa) despite existing for over 20 years. Seeing the answers to years worth of build up makes every week I read One Piece an adventure. One Piece will go down as a modern classic when it is complete and should be cherished and passed down to future generations. It’s odd to say that about a comic book but it’s how I feel.

"Nearing" is a loose and relative term here

He's been saying he's two thirds of the way done for like ten years

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Oda will continue one piece until his death upon which his will be made public that only states "one piece was the friends we made along the way"

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It'd be interesting if the SHs go back to free sailing after Kaidou. Just realized the last time the crew actually used their log pose was locking on to FI in Water 7.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

you may not like it but that Blackbeard reveal spread is peak pirate performance.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I’m not saying it’s ending any time soon. You’d have to be crazy to think it’s not explicitly setting up end game though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He's also revised it to saying about 80% at the start of Wano. Who knows, let's just enjoy the ride.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Himuro posted:

I’m not saying it’s ending any time soon. You’d have to be crazy to think it’s not explicitly setting up end game though.

I mean I just started wano, I'm like three and a half months behind but also this comic has been setting up endgame for ten years

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean I just started wano, I'm like three and a half months behind but also this comic has been setting up endgame for ten years

15 years at this point

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
its hard to reconcile because realistically there's still a ton of plot threads that need to be closed. at a very bare minimum we have the rest of wano, the defeat of big mom (these two may be the same), the clash with blackbeard, whatever luffy and shanks end up doing, visiting elbaf, reaching raftel, whatever happens after learning about the void, some degree of "saving the world". it's hard to imagine all of that finishing in like, 200 chapters so it's kinda difficult to believe anything oda says

and that's if we go pretty much straight to the end. nobody would have predicted we'd have an entire arc exploring sanji's background where luffy fought a #2 for like 20 chapters

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, it's not like it couldn't be done. It would just be really rushed and cut out a ton of poo poo, and One Piece already feels really rushed and cuts out a ton of poo poo, which is part of the appeal.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SatansBestBuddy posted:

15 years at this point

Whitebeard War ended in late 09/early 10 and that's where Blackbeard as big bad got set up, was my logic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tbp posted:

its hard to reconcile because realistically there's still a ton of plot threads that need to be closed. at a very bare minimum we have the rest of wano, the defeat of big mom (these two may be the same), the clash with blackbeard, whatever luffy and shanks end up doing, visiting elbaf, reaching raftel, whatever happens after learning about the void, some degree of "saving the world". it's hard to imagine all of that finishing in like, 200 chapters so it's kinda difficult to believe anything oda says

and that's if we go pretty much straight to the end. nobody would have predicted we'd have an entire arc exploring sanji's background where luffy fought a #2 for like 20 chapters

I usually gauge his percentage as how much of the plot stuff is left and not how much of the actual literal chapters are left for exactly that reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Big mam might hang around all the way to elbaf

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Interesting! I'm making some predictions just based on these:

• Moria has gotten back in shape after losing to Luffy, much as Crocodile apparently did.
  • Jozu died in the Payback War and Shiryu has his DF now. (It's the obvious setup for a Shiryu vs. Jozu fight later, calling back to Mr. 1's comment about Zoro cutting diamond in the future.)
  • Blackbeard's bounty is around 2 billion.

My first prediction appears to have been correct; Moria looks slightly more in shape to me, at least. The third prediction was somewhat off; it's almost two-and-a-quarter billion. The second prediction was totally wrong; I would never have guessed that Shiryu would get a Devil Fruit that Color of Observation would presumably negate so much of the power of in a fight against another master swordsman. Then again, it doesn't just hide his location, but the length of his sword as well, plus at least some Haki users can't use two different Colors at the same time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Big Mom shows up just in time for everyone else to have left after punching Kaidou.

'gently caress it, guess I'm in charge of this country now. You there! Bring me all your dango, and it had better be delicious!'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, remember that Absalom could make anything he touched invisible. That lets a master swordsman like Shiryu set up plenty of surprises.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

It'd be interesting if the SHs go back to free sailing after Kaidou. Just realized the last time the crew actually used their log pose was locking on to FI in Water 7.

They used it to get to Punk Hazard.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Right and we are finally getting more answers than questions. It’s thrilling to see it all unravel.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, remember that Absalom could make anything he touched invisible. That lets a master swordsman like Shiryu set up plenty of surprises.

they'll fight in an invisible maze and zoros horrible sense of direction will save him

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Kild posted:

They used it to get to Punk Hazard.

Nah they got caught in a current and washed offshore of PH.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Hell, Shiryu can just make his sword invisible (much like Absalom's pair of blunderbuss arm cannons) and make it look like he's fighting opponents with elaborate hand gestures. All he has to do is make sure no one catches onto the gimmick, such as keeping one hand (his dominant hand, most likely) behind his back holding the invisible sword. Shiryu will probably have to stamp out his cigar, though. I have a feeling that something like cigar smoke would reveal anything invisible and ruin the surprise.

Although, I just realized something. Dr. Hogback was traveling with Absalom when last we saw them. Is he dead now as well?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't think he had a DF so he's probably fine

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the best thing to take away from this invisible reveal is that Oda could have given him any power from anywhere but there's some about an invisible swordsman that he wants to draw. hype

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder how that interacts with Observation Haki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

Nah they got caught in a current and washed offshore of PH.

Ah you're right. They still had their log pose set tho.