Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

mastershakeman posted:

Please give us a trip report.

Will do. I'm coming in with a heavy knowledge of D and D and a minimal knowledge of law beyond a stint giving small claims information, so this should be fun! I love that the Berkman center is casually sponsoring this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

semicolonsrock posted:

Oh my god, RSVP'd for this poo poo. I guess I can sort of see the connections between one arbitrary giant ruleset and another?

If you want to dig into an arbitrary giant ruleset and are a masochist, take a look at the Magic: The Gathering Comprehensive Rules. Granted, you only need to know about 1% of that to play Magic, since most of it involves obscure formats and really old cards that nobody plays in competitive matches, but it's still an example of legalistic writing gone horribly wrong. They should really hire someone who is familiar with Magic and knows legal writing to redo the whole thing from scratch, but it's so huge that it would take months, and nobody would care outside of the Judges who have to understand this mess.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Biggest law firm failure in Canadian history yesterday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle16708371/

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Vox Nihili posted:

...and would like to explore the possibility of doing benefits/ERISA stuff, particularly for unions.

Do you mean filing ERISA based claims against a company or actually working on the plans and policies?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

Do you mean filing ERISA based claims against a company or actually working on the plans and policies?

My dad's an ERISA guy and I think when you're an ERISA guy on the union side you do a lot of both. (Also just in case people think I'm ignoring Vox's questions, I'm not, he PMed me.)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HiddenReplaced posted:

I would be happy doing either but the union-side stuff appears to mostly involve managing the plans themselves (Taft-Hartley plans, generally).

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MoFauxHawk posted:

My dad's an ERISA guy and I think when you're an ERISA guy on the union side you do a lot of both. (Also just in case people think I'm ignoring Vox's questions, I'm not, he PMed me.)

Yeah, that's why I asked. If you're a union guy you kinda have to do everything. Management side you tend to specialize in one or the other, and they're both pretty different in practice.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Suitchat: I desperately need to replenish my suit supply, also going for my first tuxedo. Two questions:

1) Navy, charcoal gray, and _____?
2) What the gently caress is a tuxedo what am I doing here.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

The Warszawa posted:

Suitchat: I desperately need to replenish my suit supply, also going for my first tuxedo. Two questions:

1) Medium gray
2) I don't know I want to know the answer too

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
The suit thread's good for this stuff. A few law people post there too. And yeah, medium gray. A tuxedo is a dinner jacket plus matching pants.

Also here's a really good guide about tuxedos. It's even on a law school site! Don't get a notched lapel please.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

If you're not getting a tuxedo with a spinning bow tie, you're doing it wrong. :v:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

HiddenReplaced posted:

PAGING PETEY

This seems like something you would be involved in - are you?

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2014/02/gilsdorf

No comment.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Why do you need a tuxedo? Are you going to become a spy lawyer?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mons Hubris posted:

Why do you need a tuxedo? Are you going to become a spy lawyer?

HiddenReplaced is getting married at a fancy big city hotel and The Warszawa and I don't want to look like hayseeds.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I want a bright blue suit like Phoenix Wright because I am a stylish child.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Warszawa posted:

Lighter grey and/or something with a stripe or texture.

Why the gently caress are you buying a tux?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a tux because I wear one once or twice a year and it's cheaper than renting

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
This is why I could never move to the east coast
With the exception of award shows and prom, I'm pretty sure no one has worn a tux in California since the 60s.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Hell, I can't even remember the last time I had to wear a tie or even dress slacks to work.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
just found out that after getting canned I was replaced by a licensed attorney working 31.5 hours a week making $12.50 an hour

lol this hosed profession

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jesus, I make about that much delivering pizzas nights and weekends.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nitrousoxide posted:

Jesus, I make about that much delivering pizzas nights and weekends.
did you also take out $90,000 in student loans to deliver pizza?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

just found out that after getting canned I was replaced by a licensed attorney working 31.5 hours a week making $12.50 an hour

Barista at a 3rd wave coffee shop would pay better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

TenementFunster posted:

did you also take out $90,000 in student loans to deliver pizza?

Double that loan and you're a lot closer.

At least I get to do local counsel appearances a few times a week for other firms to make renewing my license worthwhile.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Warszawa posted:

Not directly what you asked, but go with made to measure suits. Similar price to decent suits off the rack with a billion times better fit. I use a tailor in Chicago, and he's great. He took my measurements once, and now, if I want to order a new suit or shirt, I'll skype with him and pick out the fabric/pattern/design and he ships it to me when it's done.
Dark brown, thin pinstripe (unless you're really tall), lighter gray, and any suit with a subtle pattern is a good one to round it out. Think about what shirts and ties you have. Are most of your shirts patterned? Then go with a solid color. Are most of your shirts plain or with a subtle pattern? Go with a pattern (stripes/light windowpane).

Also some don'ts for you:
(1) No contrast collar
(2) No super flashy patterns
(3) No pocket squares
(4) No tie clips
(5) No monograms

Those are reserved for BSDs. Associates are not BSDs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Contrast collars work on almost no one, bsd or not.
The best part about being a criminal defense attorney is that I can basically do anything suitwise. Loud ties, pocket squares, spectator shoes, etc. I can basically use boardwalk empire as my sartorial guide. I still only really wear solid color shirts though (really only white and blue) and never a contrast collar.

Also, if you look carefully, you can do full bespoke for similar prices as the better m2m providers.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 9, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Warszawa is a fancy man that must attend many fancy events. Think of all the charity functions!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Warszawa posted:

Suitchat: I desperately need to replenish my suit supply, also going for my first tuxedo.

they got to you, man

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My former supervisor wears a bowtie and can pull it off (and isn't 100 or a right winger). I'm jealous.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nm posted:

Lighter grey and/or something with a stripe or texture.

Why the gently caress are you buying a tux?

I have to go to like eight weddings this year and half of them are black tie because people I went to college/law school with are fancy fuckers.

mikeraskol posted:

Warszawa is a fancy man that must attend many fancy events. Think of all the charity functions!

God, they're called galas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Show up in a Yale law school t-shirt and jeans. gently caress em.
Then move to the best coast because no one needs tuxes out here unless you're tom hanks or 17.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

TenementFunster posted:

That should shock me, but sadly, it doesn't.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

TenementFunster posted:

No joke? I need to hire some one then. The receptionist makes more than that licensed attorney.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nm posted:

Show up in a Yale law school t-shirt and jeans. gently caress em.
Then move to the best coast because no one needs tuxes out here unless you're tom hanks or 17.

I figure I can save money on pique shirts if I just press my guayaberas well.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Roger_Mudd posted:

No joke? I need to hire some one then. The receptionist makes more than that licensed attorney.

You could probably have recent attorney grads, or even some experienced ones, doing your paralegal, receptionist, and filing/process serving for less than what you would pay a normal person in that profession.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

You could probably have recent attorney grads, or even some experienced ones, doing your paralegal, receptionist, and filing/process serving for less than what you would pay a normal person in that profession.

You could probably pay min wage if you make their title "associate" and promise to claim it is a legal job if a future employer calls.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

You could probably pay min wage if you make their title "associate" and promise to claim it is a legal job if a future employer calls.

I feel bad considering this.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How about shirts with different fabric on the inside of the collar/cuffs? They're my baller rear end spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What is a BSD

E: nm I googled. It's me

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 9, 2014