Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Honj Steak posted:

ah sorry, it's a bit confusing because the German words for the baltic countries are totally different.

RIP Duchy of Kurland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Amazing. This explain many things :P

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

fishmech posted:

This.

Anyway:

My city had a furry convention but it folded. We will be spared.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm not going to post it because it hardly seems fair, but I'm glad that Wikipedia has a map showing showing which countries use Fahrenheit, and which use Celsius.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

computer parts posted:

Either LV or SA might get a blue chunk in the future. :unsmigghh:

The convention business is huge in Las Vegas, and there are two main convention centers. The LVCC is owned by a sort of weird, quasi-governmental entity, and is funded through a tax on hotel rooms. Its major competitor is the Sands Expo, which is privately owned and funded by Sheldon Adelson. The rumor in Vegas is that neither Adelson nor the Raiders are actually interested in a move. The Raiders are using a potential move as leverage to get more money from Oakland/SA/wherever, and Adelson wants the excitement from a potential move to fund the new stadium with tax money diverted from the LVCC. This also might be part of the reason that Adelson bought the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

https://www.ralstonreports.com/blog/adelson-begins-play-his-new-toy

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm not going to post it because it hardly seems fair, but I'm glad that Wikipedia has a map showing showing which countries use Fahrenheit, and which use Celsius.

Fahrenheit isn't well suited to scientific endeavors, but I think it's a more useful scale for describing the temperatures humans generally actually live in. Celcius is better for everyday use than Kelvin though. Farenheit is right in the sweet spot.

Obviously I'm American.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jaramin posted:

Fahrenheit isn't well suited to scientific endeavors, but I think it's a more useful scale for describing the temperatures humans generally actually live in. Celcius is better for everyday use than Kelvin though. Farenheit is right in the sweet spot.

Obviously I'm American.

Depends on where you live really. Like I've lived all my life in places where it rarely gets much below 0 f or much above 100 f, but does hit 0 and 100 nearly every year. But in a lot of Europe it rarely goes below 0c and also rarely gets above like 30c.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Depends on where you live really. Like I've lived all my life in places where it rarely gets much below 0 f or much above 100 f, but does hit 0 and 100 nearly every year. But in a lot of Europe it rarely goes below 0c and also rarely gets above like 30c.

I don't think anyone lives where it hits 100c.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

I don't think anyone lives where it hits 100c.
Some Finns do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

fishmech posted:

Err... It gets above 30c every loving summer? And below 0 every loving winter? I've seen both 40 and -20. (e2: Now quite -20, but close)

e: ^^^ Yeah, their saunas don't mess around.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Some Finns do.

Finns aren't humans. :rolleyes:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Jaramin posted:

But no one else uses Fahrenheit so it automatically blows rear end once you interact with non-Americans. Also, due to the fact it scales differently, it's super-hard to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. Like, no matter how dumb imperial measurements are, I can still sort of convert them in my head when I have to explain something to someone from the Anglo-Saxon world, but for temperatures this is close to impossible.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wish we used Celsius in the US.

My understanding is it's:
0 to 10 = loving cold
10 to 20 = cold
20 to 30 = ok
30 to 40 = hot

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 1, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

In Finland, while we're not human or anything up here, Celsius feels right because the temperature swings from equal amounts of minus to plus over the year. In the winter it's -25 to 0, in the summer it's 0 to +25. :v:

In Fahrenheit scale we'd end up down in double digit negatives regardless.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fahrenheit was designed in Europe to be the obvious logical measurement for weather. 0F is about the coldest it ever got in Daniel Fahrenheit's hometown, Danzig, and 100F is about the hottest. Same goes for a lot of other places in Europe.

0 to 100 scales make more sense than -18 to 38. That was one of the foundation arguments for decimal currency and the metric system. So Celsius makes more sense for chemistry and cooking, but Fahrenheit makes more sense for Western European meteorology.
e: Or any European meteorology outside of the deep frozen wastes I guess.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 1, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
[System I've used my whole life] makes way more sense than [system other people use] because [rationalization that could easily apply to either].

Celsius was designed to fit a 0-100 scale and is a metric unit. :ssh:

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 1, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Scales going from 0 to 100 make the most sense because it's related to the human body. We have zero tails and a hundred fingers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Going from 0 to 100 for "normal" temperatures is useless though. There isn't eve a noticeable difference between 24 and 25 degrees Celsius, much less between 65 and 66 Fahrenheit.

One could argue that with Celsius it's at least obvious when temperatures are freezing, but memorizing 0 degrees Celsius is only marginally easier than remembering the equivalent Fahrenheit temperature.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps the best way would be a new scale that's approximately Fahrenheit/10 that's just called "how hot is it?"
10 = really loving hot, 0 = really loving cold, <5 = wear a jacket, <3 = watch out for ice.

That's how they do it for pollen and air pollution and UV index on the weather.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Celsius is great if you're doing something in the kitchen, since having an easy reference to freezing temperature and boiling temperature is actually pretty drat handy. :v:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Seriouspost there used to be a whole loving bunch of temperature scales and if you're reading a book from say the early 1900s it's not unusual to encounter like 58R which can either mean the Radisson scale or the Rembacher scale, and all of those have died out now in favour of Celsius and the same will happen to Fahrenheit too at some point, tough luck brothers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Same but Kelvin.

255 - 311 is a logical scale for outside temperatures.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Fahrenheit was designed in Europe to be the obvious logical measurement for weather. 0F is about the coldest it ever got in Daniel Fahrenheit's hometown, Danzig, and 100F is about the hottest. Same goes for a lot of other places in Europe.
Apparently the Fahrenheit scale was based on the Rømer scale, defined by the Danish physicist Ole Rømer, who figured out that the speed of light was finite. I think what can be concluded from this is that us Danes owe the world an apology, and that we should all be grateful that the Fahrenheit scale isn't somehow based on the speed of light.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Lycus posted:

0 to 10 = loving cold
10 to 20 = cold
20 to 30 = ok
30 to 40 = hot

More like
-20 and beyond = loving cold
-19 to 0 = ok for winter
0 to 20 = ok for other seasons
20+ = too hot
30+ = died and went to hell

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

doverhog posted:

More like
-20 and beyond = loving cold
-19 to 0 = ok for winter
0 to 20 = ok for other seasons
20+ = too hot
30+ = died and went to hell

european.txt

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

0 to 100 scales make more sense than -18 to 38.

The only reason you would think there's something meaningful in temperatures -18 C or 38 C would be if you're thinking with Fahrenheit scale as your reference, though.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

my dad posted:

Celsius is great if you're doing something in the kitchen, since having an easy reference to freezing temperature and boiling temperature is actually pretty drat handy. :v:

Those of us who don't live at sea level are going to have to remember a number that isn't 100 anyway.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lycus posted:

0 to 10 = loving cold
10 to 20 = cold
20 to 30 = ok
30 to 40 = hot

Where do you live such that 10 degrees -- 50 F -- is "loving cold" and anything below 20 is cold? 20 is a warm spring day, man!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Juffo-Wup posted:

Those of us who don't live at sea level are going to have to remember a number that isn't 100 anyway.

100+-5 within +-1400 meters.
That should cover 99% of the human inhabited world.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Where do you live such that 10 degrees -- 50 F -- is "loving cold" and anything below 20 is cold? 20 is a warm spring day, man!

It's very cool of Americans to be like "look, Fahrenheit just makes more sense in an everyday context" when their own country covers about every loving climate possible.

Also I agree with that poster, anything below 20c is unpleasant. Europe north of Madrid is barely habitable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lycus posted:

-30 and below = loving cold
-20 to -30 = cold
-20 to 20 = ok
20 to 30 = hot
30 and above = video games
Welcome to Eastern Europe!

Ras Het posted:

Also I agree with that poster, anything below 20c is unpleasant. Europe north of Madrid is barely habitable.
You'd be surprised what most of Europe north of Paris does thing about Europe south of Paris.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stefu posted:

The only reason you would think there's something meaningful in temperatures -18 C or 38 C would be if you're thinking with Fahrenheit scale as your reference, though.
'About the coldest it ever gets in winter' and 'about the hottest it ever gets in summer' for a fair bit of Europe is pretty meaningful if you're looking for a meteorological scale of temperature measurement.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

kalstrams posted:

You'd be surprised what most of Europe north of Paris does thing about Europe south of Paris.

I'm Finnish.

Guavanaut posted:

'About the coldest it ever gets in winter' and 'about the hottest it ever gets in summer' for a fair bit of Europe is pretty meaningful if you're looking for a meteorological scale of temperature measurement.

About, as defined by you, with clear reference to the Fahrenheit scale.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
America will never switch to the metric system because then you euros wouldn't be able to hold it over us and have to invent SuperMetric and then invade colonize everyone else and teach it to them.

Wow you guys still use metric? How the gently caress do you function without knowing it's 5 Grognaks outside????

edit:Same with soccer.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

adhuin posted:

100+-5 within +-1400 meters.
That should cover 99% of the human inhabited world.

Everybody in the Denver metro area is crying right now because they think you hate them.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I think we're generally fine with miles because the conversion is simple. Inches and feet separately are alright too, but feet & inches is an abomination. Pounds are fine. Fahrenheit and acres are ridiculous.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ras Het posted:

I think we're generally fine with miles because the conversion is simple. Inches and feet separately are alright too, but feet & inches is an abomination. Pounds are fine. Fahrenheit and acres are ridiculous.

Personally I prefer Chains and Furlongs.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Welcome to Eastern Europe!

People up here act like 20 and below is like living on Hoth and 21 and above is like living on the sun. There is no in-between.

One thing I do miss about living back home is the good hot 32+/90+ days for proper laying around on the beach or tubing on a river. I think more than two days of that would pretty much depopulate the Armorican peninsula.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Atlanta is the furry capital of the south; this explains so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ras Het posted:

About, as defined by you, with clear reference to the Fahrenheit scale.
Okay, a scale that goes from 0-100 is better than one that goes from -20 to 40. A scale that went from 0-10 would be fine too.

Celsius makes more sense when dealing with water for cooking or chemistry, even though the exact points will vary depending on altitude. Kelvin makes more sense when dealing with thermodynamics.

e: Southern Africa is pretty high up too, there's areas inland where the air is noticeably thinner, or at least qualitatively different.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 1, 2016