Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it is, at the least, extremely on brand for the found footage horror game franchise to become progressively worse and worse with each subsequent sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't finish Signalis. I felt like the man behind the curtain was really starting to show by the time I got to the third or fourth area and I just got bored of it. I keep trying to go back to it but I just get bored with it again. I appreciate what it's trying to do, but I don't think it does it very well. I never really disliked it but I really didn't think it was living up to it's inspirations after a while.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't finish Signalis. I felt like the man behind the curtain was really starting to show by the time I got to the third or fourth area and I just got bored of it. I keep trying to go back to it but I just get bored with it again. I appreciate what it's trying to do, but I don't think it does it very well. I never really disliked it but I really didn't think it was living up to it's inspirations after a while.

More out of the storytelling aspect or the gameplay? I get the rule of six being a thing in the story so they "can't" change it gameplay wise, but I liked the story enough that I was willing to deal with that. The restricted inventory bothered me less when I got more used to shoving weaker enemies away and running past them so I didn't need to spend so many slots on weapon. If you don't vibe with the story though I can see why it wouldn't be worth putting up with it though. It's pretty SH2 but the world building gave it that extra factor that made me really interested in learning more, though (minor spoiler I guess?) it left a few too many things unresolved for my liking. I think that's better than if they just exposition dumped everything though.

Of course I like games about sad girls so that gave it an extra push for me too. :frogbon:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't find the story uninteresting, but I guess it didn't grip me enough that I felt like I had to find out what happened either. Really the game itself was the thing that was wearing thin for me not the story.

The kind of weird hybrid Nintendo DS/PSX hybrid presentation was pretty cool. Loved the occasional switch to first person and the general look of the top down parts . I liked the cinematic parts way less though. Gave me heavy "learnin' to draw anime" deviant art vibes tbh.

As far as actually playing the game goes it starts out ok, but I just got so bored with the copy/paste environments, the inventory management was not well done and the combat didn't really feel interesting. It ranged from piss easy to annoying but never really challenging or interesting. The puzzles weren't great either but I won't fault it for that because it's par for the course for the genre.

It's an ok game as far as I can tell. I guess I just expected it to be better. I'll probably finish it one of these days, but there always seems to be something else I'd rather play.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

signalis perfectly replicates the feeling and flow of PS1 survival horror, for both better and worse

i think i liked it a lot less because of the respawn mechanic, since the efficient use of resources that i find compelling about survival horror becomes far less important compared to doing usain bolt sprints past everything and abusing patrol route resets

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think it does personally. It gives it a solid effort though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Signalis succeeds at being the image everyone has in their mind of survival horror compared to resident evil which even the first game gives you enough resources to murder every enemy and still have a few grenades to spare.

It just happens that’s not what everyone has in mind for a fun experience.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Where is my Galerians ripoff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tell me there aren't too many boss fights in Signalis. :negative:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

Tell me there aren't too many boss fights in Signalis. :negative:

3. Here's some quick tips:

Do not use the focus shot. Just unload bullets.

Boss fight 2 is easy and 3 you can beat without bullets.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

3. Here's some quick tips:

Do not use the focus shot. Just unload bullets.

Boss fight 2 is easy and 3 you can beat without bullets.

You can beat every boss with what they give you in the boss room on normal, and 2/3 (3/3?) are beatable without firing a single shot.

The game's combat is not hard

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first boss was a major turnoff ngl it’s not difficult once you figure it out but the interface sends mixed messages. It’s vulnerable when vomiting blood but the blood is also an attack so your first instinct is to close with the shotgun but you can’t get close so you have to attack from mid-range. And how do you trigger the blood vomit idk I thought I had to kill the enemies it seems to directly summon but nah you just have to let it literally run out of steam it will shoot you all day but won’t drop until it physically moves a certain distance which unless mentioned in a document somewhere there’s no visual indication also occasionally your reticule will have a big X but you can still injure it despite that ughghgg

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the first boss's cardinal sin is that the most obvious strategy - baiting out the shots and then hiding behind the pillar to avoid them - feels like you're breaking the AI, and nothing saps the tension out of a horror game faster than the artificiality of the whole contrivance being laid bare

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The first boss also committing a cardinal sin of survival horror, ie making you use a lot of ammo to determine if you're even damaging it, as well. There's nothing worse than a situation where you decide you're going to dump rounds into an enemy to determine the exact weak points and then die to restart with your hard won bullets reset.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
Playing tank controls in Signalis lets you truelly experience the PSX era of running into stuff like an idiot during combat. Although I love it, a giant mark against it is that bumping into scenery gives you NO friction whatsoever which is a death sentence. Still finished it that way on Survival, game made me feel like 16 again playing SH1 for the first time.

Also I like the anime bits, game visually sometimes gets near Another World's coolass style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I actually didn't have that much trouble with the boss once I figured out how to damage it. Some of these puzzles are kind of obtuse though, like the astrolabe toybox that wants you to guess the relative positions of the planets except a couple that don't count apparently. That one annoyed me because even when you know exactly what to do, there's still a lot of trial and error requiring you to run back between a couple monster-filled rooms to make sure you got it right. I imagine a lot of more casual players probably quit at the double cipher safe earlier on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vermain posted:

the first boss's cardinal sin is that the most obvious strategy - baiting out the shots and then hiding behind the pillar to avoid them - feels like you're breaking the AI, and nothing saps the tension out of a horror game faster than the artificiality of the whole contrivance being laid bare

Of all the games where I wouldn't really call it a sin unironically Signalis is one of them. It fits all too well within the setting and what's going on that what feels like exploiting or breaking an AI is actually kinda diegetic.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

I actually didn't have that much trouble with the boss once I figured out how to damage it. Some of these puzzles are kind of obtuse though, like the astrolabe toybox that wants you to guess the relative positions of the planets except a couple that don't count apparently. That one annoyed me because even when you know exactly what to do, there's still a lot of trial and error requiring you to run back between a couple monster-filled rooms to make sure you got it right. I imagine a lot of more casual players probably quit at the double cipher safe earlier on.

I used a guide for that one because I knew what to do but didn't want to bother with inventory tetris to use the photo tool.

The flashlight using inventory space was pretty egregious but the photo tool not being just a permanent upgrade was really stupid considering that every scrap of paper gets memorized in "your" memory.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CharlestonJew posted:

It seems like they’ve given up on storytelling completely and just went with a barebones excuse to throw spooky poo poo at the player.

Which, considering how Outlast 2 went, is an improvement in every possible way

Oh, no, there's story in the form of found documents, etc. From what I've seen so far (which is all very indirect, I've just watched a bunch of youtube videos), I've noticed a really unpleasant and increasingly explicit throughline of "gay = evil." The evil scientist mastermind of this game was apparently tempted to homosexuality by the Nazi doc from the first game. As usual, the violence and gore is all weirdly and needlessly sexualized, e.g. the crazy cop badguy has an electric cattleprod and zaps his crotch with it when idle- and his fake police department area (the closed beta scenario) is full of corpses with, e.g., live wires shoved up their asses.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 25, 2022

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have a bunch of tv photos of Signalis puzzles and it’s pretty funny to go through my photoroll and squint at a thumbnail of a safe pad

CuddleCryptid posted:

The first boss also committing a cardinal sin of survival horror, ie making you use a lot of ammo to determine if you're even damaging it, as well. There's nothing worse than a situation where you decide you're going to dump rounds into an enemy to determine the exact weak points and then die to restart with your hard won bullets reset.

Speaking of which I’m playing Resident Evil 0 and this game is actually worse than people let on and people are generally pretty down on it already!

Why did they make the shotgun a pea shooter??? Why do I have to aim down to hurt the scorpion when conventional wisdom says to shoot it when it’s claws are wide open? That stupid thing was exactly that except I didn’t have an opportunity to save and had to redo the entire intro.

Then I forgot to pick up the magnetic key and had to redo another large part of the train lol this game is trash.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is the second boss of Signalis that caged horror thing that Isa ends up no-scoping? If so then I must be flying through this game. I didn't get nearly as much time as I'd like to explore the mines since I happened upon every main path door on my first try.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

al-azad posted:

Speaking of which I’m playing Resident Evil 0 and this game is actually worse than people let on and people are generally pretty down on it already!

It gets worse. Even as a kid in my "I love everything Resident Evil" phase I recognised that game was bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Is the second boss of Signalis that caged horror thing that Isa ends up no-scoping? If so then I must be flying through this game. I didn't get nearly as much time as I'd like to explore the mines since I happened upon every main path door on my first try.

the mines are more of an interstitial zone. there's one optional room you might have missed but nothing crucial

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can find something to enjoy in every numbered RE except 0. I don’t really want to play 5 or 6 again but I actively hated playing 0.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i went through both Revelations games this month and they were solid. big fan of Rev2's grimier aesthetic, though the environments in barry's last couple of chapters got really dull

but man, that episodic release format must have hurt it badly because the chapter completion rates were dismal

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr E posted:

I can find something to enjoy in every numbered RE except 0. I don’t really want to play 5 or 6 again but I actively hated playing 0.

Now come on, the story is delightfully stupid even for a RE game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8znIF9NINA

Bill and Al just hangin' out watching the entire game unfold via security cameras

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh I have no problems with the story it’s a normal dumb RE game story. It’s just playing it that sucked. RE6 is not a good RE game but at least that has a decently fun melee system.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, no, there's story in the form of found documents, etc. From what I've seen so far (which is all very indirect), I've noticed a really unpleasant and increasingly explicit throughline of "gay = evil." The evil scientist mastermind of this game was apparently tempted to homosexuality by the Nazi doc from the first game. As usual, the violence and gore is all weirdly and needlessly sexualized, e.g. the crazy cop badguy has an electric cattleprod and zaps his crotch with it when idle- and his fake police department area (the closed beta scenario) is full of corpses with, e.g., live wires shoved up their asses.

Wow I missed all of that, holy poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do think there's a theoretical angle for some commentary on the puritanical sexual mores of cold war-era america, but it is not one that i would expect the followup to outlast 2, the game about a baby-murdering cult and a catholic priest molestation flashback plot, to handle with the needed care

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Started The Devil In Me and some of these animations are rough.

Its Steam sale time and I have Eternal Evil, The Mortuary Assistant, Them And Us and Northern Journey in my cart. I have played some of Them And Us previously and quite enjoyed it so heres hoping the rest end up a good time. Nevermind that I still haven't finished Tormented Souls or Signalis...grumble

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

i do think there's a theoretical angle for some commentary on the puritanical sexual mores of cold war-era america, but it is not one that i would expect the followup to outlast 2, the game about a baby-murdering cult and a catholic priest molestation flashback plot, to handle with the needed care

cant wait for them to ship out my gamer diapers. been waiting for years now

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

The prologue chapter is leagues worse in that department than any of the other Dark Pictures games, I don't know what happened there but it's brutal. It gets a bit better after that though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I appear to be a bit stuck in Signalis. Does anyone want to tell me where I am?

- I've found 3/6 plates you need for that waygate (Balance, Love, Eternity)
- I've found 2 of what I'm guessing are 3 nesting dolls you need for the counterweight
- I've found 2/3 rings for the empress puzzle (wedding, serpent)
- I've unlocked all 3 gate patterns you can get from the radio signals
- Only unlockable door left is near the save room and needs a rusty key

I think I've retraced every room at least three times and haven't figured out how to progress from here.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I appear to be a bit stuck in Signalis. Does anyone want to tell me where I am?

- I've found 3/6 plates you need for that waygate (Balance, Love, Eternity)
- I've found 2 of what I'm guessing are 3 nesting dolls you need for the counterweight
- I've found 2/3 rings for the empress puzzle (wedding, serpent)
- I've unlocked all 3 gate patterns you can get from the radio signals
- Only unlockable door left is near the save room and needs a rusty key

I think I've retraced every room at least three times and haven't figured out how to progress from here.

You checked that dark room that's adjacent to a large open room with one of those replikas that look like the big daddy from bioshock? also, there's an office space room that has an important item there, I can't recall where the key is rightaway but that specific area stumped me when i first got in because the doorways in the SH rusty area didn't look like doorways

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've been to the dark room, I believe that's where I found the serpent ring. And if it's the office space with the note from Alika and the grenade shells + incense, then I've been there, too.

E: Nevermind, I found where I'm supposed to go. There's a room to the far right of the underground pulsating tunnel that I missed because I thought it was a dead end.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 26, 2022

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
any cheap horror recommendations from steam sale? got Yomawari and darkwood on cheap even though I owned darkwood on switch already it was too cheap to pass up running it better i assumed turns out it runs pretty much exactly like on switch

exquisite tea posted:

I've been to the dark room, I believe that's where I found the serpent ring. And if it's the office space with the note from Alika and the grenade shells + incense, then I've been there, too.

E: Nevermind, I found where I'm supposed to go. There's a room to the far right of the underground pulsating tunnel that I missed because I thought it was a dead end.

that area is kinda like that yeah, stuff doesnt read well as passages or doors

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I finished Tormented Souls and man are those late game puzzles a drag. How was anyone supposed to figure out the oil pipe thing, like the solution is something like “perpendicular on, parallel off” but did I miss a hint as to what end caps to screw on or what perpendicular/parallel are even in reference to, it’s just a tangled mess of pipes!

A very predictable mystery (bad grandad!), a very nebulous plot, lots of rear end pulls and suspension of disbelief required (you were waiting for two girls immune to radiation huh what??), but it scratched that classic resident evil itch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay I just wrapped up Signalis! I got the Memory ending, which kind of makes sense because it's apparently based on how often you save and run past the same areas because I was doing that constantly. I'd say I liked it overall, the story is immediately gripping and there's just enough of a unique presentation to keep it from resembling another SH2 clone. But I think it kind of eventually succumbs to a few survival horror tropes in both gameplay and narrative that irk me. I appreciated the dedicated to the whole Rule of Six gimmick but the inventory limit was kind of a drag, far past the point where it was tense and instead just became irritating. Whoops, you picked up that stack of 2 whole shotgun shells, now you gotta run all the way back to the stash to grab the other 3 mission-critical items we left in this room. It kind of actively works against the whole survival element when you realize it's much faster just to reload your last save and pick up only what you need rather than actually trying to press on. Also, do we need YET ANOTHER horror game in which the ending is this altered reality was in fact the dying dream of your former lover because it all happened in her head!!? It sounds a little harsh because I really did enjoy the experience, but this is like my Number 1 pet peeve in bad game storytelling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Okay I just wrapped up Signalis! I got the Memory ending, which kind of makes sense because it's apparently based on how often you save and run past the same areas because I was doing that constantly. I'd say I liked it overall, the story is immediately gripping and there's just enough of a unique presentation to keep it from resembling another SH2 clone. But I think it kind of eventually succumbs to a few survival horror tropes in both gameplay and narrative that irk me. I appreciated the dedicated to the whole Rule of Six gimmick but the inventory limit was kind of a drag, far past the point where it was tense and instead just became irritating. Whoops, you picked up that stack of 2 whole shotgun shells, now you gotta run all the way back to the stash to grab the other 3 mission-critical items we left in this room. It kind of actively works against the whole survival element when you realize it's much faster just to reload your last save and pick up only what you need rather than actually trying to press on. Also, do we need YET ANOTHER horror game in which the ending is this altered reality was in fact the dying dream of your former lover because it all happened in her head!!? It sounds a little harsh because I really did enjoy the experience, but this is like my Number 1 pet peeve in bad game storytelling.

signalis threads the needle by making ariane bioresonant, which means that her thoughts are capable of warping reality in varied and wide-reaching ways. the game is her dying dream, but it's a dream that's been transmitted to the real-life sierpinski, making the entire station literally cancerous from her radiation poisoning, looping through time and and endlessly shoving elster's consciousness into a stream of duplicate bodies until she's able to go through on their promise of mercy-killing her (which only happens in the Promise ending)

there are several details that don't really square with the whole game being entirely in someone's mindspace, mainly adler's presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Disposable Scud posted:

Its Steam sale time and I have Eternal Evil, The Mortuary Assistant, Them And Us and Northern Journey in my cart. I have played some of Them And Us previously and quite enjoyed it so heres hoping the rest end up a good time. Nevermind that I still haven't finished Tormented Souls or Signalis...grumble

Northern Journey is really good. It's hard to talk about all the cool stuff without spoiling anything though. The music is weird and great (the evil-Enya sounding Greenslit song especially) and the weapons are all really fun to use.

Getting in the giant diving helmet thing and being launched into the terrifying lake with that glowing eye thing was one of my favorite video game moments this year.

I do wish the dev hadn't made all of the game's sounds non-directional. They said it was to save development time but I don't think it was a good trade-off and I hope they choose to revisit it some day since the game has been well received.