Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

That website was incredibly weird because somebody recreated, fixed, or found a bunch of Old World of Darkness PDFs that were previously only available as lovely scans and put them up for sale without telling anybody. Like, we're talking dozens of books that were only available on this one website that nobody knew about, which now no longer exists, and which haven't shown up on DriveThru yet. (Matt McElroy tells me that they basically sent him a giant heap of files when the website shut down and he hasn't had time to sort them all out into usable order yet.)

Like, they actually made an OEF version of the Revised corebook and didn't think it was worth mentioning it to anybody.

All I remember of the website was it was terrible to try and navigate and lol gently caress you if you wanted to sort things beyond "Hey here's a whole bunch of Vampire stuff, you figure it out"

Reading Swedracula's tone deaf "I got fired but it's because I was just too cool maaaan" blog post has made me incredibly happy. And gives me mild hope this New New World of Darkness won't be a complete train wreck after all.

Lol gently caress Swedracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was watching What We Do In The Shadows (movie) and got to wondering: do ghouls ever make the jump to vampire in oWoD? I know the lady in the movie isn't a ghoul or otherwise following game rules. Maybe there's something wacky about the vampire blood in a ghoul that keeps them from being convertible?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SuperKlaus posted:

I was watching What We Do In The Shadows (movie) and got to wondering: do ghouls ever make the jump to vampire in oWoD? I know the lady in the movie isn't a ghoul or otherwise following game rules. Maybe there's something wacky about the vampire blood in a ghoul that keeps them from being convertible?

They absolutely can but vampires are generally insanely hesitant about elevating disposable mortal servants to the slightly-less-disposable rank of full vampire. Most ghouls really want them to, though, and push for the Embrace like they're hounding their boss for a raise.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The whole ghoul to vampire career path is super common, but vampires are indeed dicks who don't want to give up the useful ghoul traits like 'don't burn in sunlight', even if they'd still have a childe who was theoretically more powerful.

They generally get away with stringing ghouls along a lot longer in Vt* than in WWDITS due to the whole 'don't physically age as long as they have vitae in their systems' thing ghouls have in those settings, too.

...which arguably makes WWDITS vampires like Deacon *bigger* dicks than the average Vt* sire, though there are a few examples of them letting their ghouls get old before the embrace, just out of sheer intentional dickitude.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

They absolutely can but vampires are generally insanely hesitant about elevating disposable mortal servants to the slightly-less-disposable rank of full vampire. Most ghouls really want them to, though, and push for the Embrace like they're hounding their boss for a raise.

The problem with elevating a ghoul is that then you get full-fledged member of a vampire society who also knows a lot about you. This makes them extremely useful for your enemies and much less useful to you, as you get a servant that you no longer control that well and who can't move in daylight anymore.

It's much more prudent to choose a malleable mortal, Embrace them and mold them to your heart's desire. Or, for maximum dickishness, turn someone else's ghoul, although this probably is frowned upon.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
WWDitS has probably the best depiction of what happens when you discover you have obfuscate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Can you summarize what the system issues are, because when it came up it seemed to be "this is self-evidently lovely" and I looked over at the game I'm in and it was like "hm, I am not sharing this qualitative experience."

The Legend points thing does seem like a substantial power hurdle but also like it was deliberately meant to make it so that going from legend 1 to legend 4 was a major upgrade even if they didn't hand you a ton of new powers along the way.

I think the limiting of power access, expenditure and recovery was the gripe I remember seeing from this thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Does the Embrace clear blood bonds?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Monkey posted:

I don't believe so, but blood bonds aren't safe. They're deeply unhealthy fixations and loves, and it is entirely possible - and recorded in the game as happening to some NPCs - that, say, a ghoul clan that is fully blood bonded to a vampire can, "for his own good", conspire to send him into torpor and protect him by keeping him safe in their basement...while not incidentally using him to feed their vitae addiction.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Captain Monkey posted:

Depends on the book, and your ST, as the typical way to write about the Embrace is to give it a three to five page write-up thats two pages away from the Blood Bond rules without one mentioning the other in any way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gerund posted:

Depends on the book, and your ST, as the typical way to write about the Embrace is to give it a three to five page write-up thats two pages away from the Blood Bond rules without one mentioning the other in any way.

I thought the embrace cleared existing blood bonds but gave you a new one to the person who embraced you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I thought the embrace cleared existing blood bonds but gave you a new one to the person who embraced you.

It's definitely not a full one, I remember reading 'the Embrace leaves you one step bonded to your Sire' but it wasn't specifically talking in the context of being a ghoul previously.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Captain Monkey posted:

Think of it this way. The Embrace kills you, every time. When you die, all blood bonds clear. You then come back without any, even though it took vitae to bring you back anyway. That never gives you a blood bond, even though it pulls you back from the dead.

Some argue it differently, but blood bonds usually clear on death. It's really easy to manipulate one's childe into a blood bond all over again, which is why if vampires want independent, capable childer, they don't Embrace those that they have bound.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

So I nabbed a few books for Requiem, specifically the Mekhet book. It seems elder vampires are more... Common? In nWoD? The protagonist in the Mekhet book meets at least one that's older than Jesus. For example, the Egyptian elder that got her brain scooped out before she was embraced. Which is cool as hell.

I suppose it would vary city to city, but how common are elders vs. "middle-aged" vamps vs. neonates?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The impression I've gotten from Requiem is that elders are pretty common but also way less of a big deal, because blood potency drops the longer you're sitting in your coffin. And memories get muddled.
So a player character vampire in Requiem can be older than Jesus, but still have 'neonate' blood potency and no political connections because they were a corpse since 1100, and while they might have a strong sense of themselves and their life their historical knowledge is so incredibly suspect as to be entirely personal.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Particularly in first edition with the Fog of Ages or whatever, you should be extremely skeptical of any vampire claiming to have been around over a thousand years, let alone more than that.

I like the approach in second edition better, where you just have normal, fallible human memory to explain why "I was at Jesus' crucifixion" doesn't hold much weight even if you almost certainly did go to some martyr's execution 2,000 years ago.

In any case, as mentioned, the way Blood Potency and torpor works takes care of the insuperable elders problem. Even with Thousand Years of Night's additions, being an Elder doesn't give you the ninth-level spells or whatever. Your main advantage is just having all those extra dots in stuff that everyone has notional access to already.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Watching What We Do In The Shadows (TV show). This is not a very good first episode and I hope it gets funnier fast. But anyway - do WoD vampires become freaky monster men when they get very, very old? I heard they were eternally unchanging, but I also heard stories of the Antediluvians becoming weird stuff, but also they might be an Extra Special Situation with Magic Stuff involved.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Watching What We Do In The Shadows (TV show). This is not a very good first episode and I hope it gets funnier fast. But anyway - do WoD vampires become freaky monster men when they get very, very old? I heard they were eternally unchanging, but I also heard stories of the Antediluvians becoming weird stuff, but also they might be an Extra Special Situation with Magic Stuff involved.
oWoD or Chronicles/New WoD?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SuperKlaus posted:

Any vamp with over 1000 years under their belt gets weird in a lot of ways. They might still look human, but psychologically speaking it's almost impossible for them to relate to younger vampires, much less mortals.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Still thinking about how like all the Onyx Path devs try to say they're woke but also most of them posted on 4chan's /tg/ watching people call their LGBT colleagues horrible poo poo until like 2016 so they could talk to the internet's dumbest loving people about how mages are the best or how a Solar Exalted could totally organize a Dragon-blooded eugenics camp, lmao

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

SuperKlaus posted:

A few clans get monstrous as they age, Tzimici as part of their path of enlightenment and Gangrel as their clan weakness is they accrue beastial features for every frenzy. Nosferatu start off as hideous monsters, but yeah it's fair to assume if you live long enough you start looking a little feral around the edges.

But yeah, once humanity drops you start looking more and more corpselike.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks. Zereth, your avatar is one of the top on the whole forums, by the way.

Another question but not one that has anything to do with WWDITS: would a vampire fry from sunlight if he entered outer space? A friend once told me (oWoD) sunlight lethality is mystical, not at all "scientific," so you couldn't kill vampires with UV grenades like in Blade. Given there is no concept of daybreak in space...vampire astronauts yes or no?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No canonical answer, what’s better for your game?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

SunAndSpring posted:

most of them posted on 4chan's /tg/
[Citation Needed]

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Cool, thanks. Zereth, your avatar is one of the top on the whole forums, by the way.

Another question but not one that has anything to do with WWDITS: would a vampire fry from sunlight if he entered outer space? A friend once told me (oWoD) sunlight lethality is mystical, not at all "scientific," so you couldn't kill vampires with UV grenades like in Blade. Given there is no concept of daybreak in space...vampire astronauts yes or no?

See now I'm not wondering if it works, I'm wondering how many different elders have tried it if it doesn't?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

xanthan posted:

See now I'm not wondering if it works, I'm wondering how many different elders have tried it if it doesn't?

I think there's some Malkavians in the BSD/Nephandi evil techno base on the dark side of the moon, or were in one of the splats back during the Haight times.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks! Snoopy was a much better character when he was a dog.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

SuperKlaus posted:

"Real" UV grenades, made out of mortal science, probably wouldn't, but Technocracy gadgets that produce mystically genuine sunlight would. The sunlight in space would probably still count as anti-vampire rays.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Captain Monkey posted:

I think there's some Malkavians in the BSD/Nephandi evil techno base on the dark side of the moon, or were in one of the splats back during the Haight times.
I imagine direct sun exposure in space would be just as bad for a vampire as it was on Earth, if not worse. A vampire would have a number of other advantages in space of course, they wouldn't need a pressurized suit for instance. The dark side of the moon would not permanently protect them, but there are those places in the polar craters that NEVER get sunlight... that'd be a good place for Neo Carthage.

This assumes your game is cool enough to have Space Vampires, of course.

Also, in a pure vampire game I'd rule "natural" UV rays could do lethal damage to vampires but they would get the benefit of soak. So a UV cannon or a grow light would be a method of attack but would not be an ultimate trump card.

e: Better question: Would vampires still be hurt by the Sun on other planets? What about the central stars of other solar systems?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

TheNamedSavior posted:

[Citation Needed]

I did, until someone got doxxed. Olivia used to, too. Don’t know about anyone else, but I didn’t read the Exalted threads on the regular.

Hell, I once posted on the rpg.site. Compared to “90% of my writing credits turn out to be coauthored with, or developed by, serial harassers and probable rapists”, posting on a pre-Trump tg is weak sauce in the Things I Regret stakes.

It’s okay to make mistakes, as long as you rectify them.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 21, 2019

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It’s okay to make mistakes, as long as you rectify them.

You literally just dismissed working with THE home base of the alt-right by saying "Nah, I've done worse." You're not rectifying mistakes, you're whitewashing them.

And they were ALWAYS homophobic, sexist, and racist as gently caress, trump gave them power, don't pretend like a cheeto person suddenly made them all hate gays. Stop pretending like you are clean of your actions, you had to have seen them saying "f*g" and *n**ger" over and over again many times, and it wasn't until shockingly you saw horrible people who say bigoted things reveal that they also do awful bigoted things as well that made you suddenly realize "oh right, these guys are actually bad?"

You just lost a customer. Good job.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

What is he supposed to do, exactly? He posted in a lovely place and then stopped once he realised it was lovely. What can you do besides that?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

ZeroCount posted:

What is he supposed to do, exactly? He posted in a lovely place and then stopped once he realised it was lovely. What can you do besides that?

Not post in a casually bigoted place in the first place.

Wow, sounds pretty easy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TheNamedSavior posted:

You literally just dismissed working with THE home base of the alt-right by saying "Nah, I've done worse." You're not rectifying mistakes, you're whitewashing them.

I mean a non-trivial amounts of our moderators have turned out to be monsters, and there's a reason our anime sub-forum is called the anime death tentacle rape warehouse. A lot of really sketchy poo poo used to go on here, and sometimes still does. And in the great circle of life, a lot of the shittier versions of the internet can trace their direct genesis from this place pushing out it's undesirables into the void.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Because, you know what?

TheNamedSavior posted:

Wow, sounds pretty easy.

*You* failed.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

Wow, sounds pretty easy.

Yeah but 'never make a mistake' aren't reasonable expectations to have for yourself or anyone else.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

ZeroCount posted:

Yeah, so, at the time I was one of those "tg, and specifically the nwod thread, isn't *so* bad" people. Which is, of course, utter idiocy. Shouldn't have done it.

I have caught more flak from OPP for posting here, though.

(I am also not an Onyx Path employee)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheNamedSavior posted:

Wow, sounds pretty easy.
If it is impossible to rectify mistakes, there is no reason for people to stop once they have committed one.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Yeah, so, at the time I was one of those "tg, and specifically the nwod thread, isn't *so* bad" people. Which is, of course, utter idiocy. Shouldn't have done it.

I have caught more flak from OPP for posting here, though.

(I am also not an Onyx Path employee)
Yeah, I recall Morke and Holden weren't fond of us.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Nessus posted:

If it is impossible to rectify mistakes, there is no reason for people to stop once they have committed one.
Yeah, I recall Morke and Holden weren't fond of us.

Not them. They also aren't, and weren't, actual OPP employees.

In any case, boycotting OPP over my inability to see someone be wrong about Awakening without jumping in would be misguided.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Again, treating far-right attitudes as something you can simply catch by being in wrong place like some mind ebola and stay infected forever is loving stupid and counterproductive. It fucks over the entire movement, making it an an elite place for the few people good enough to belong there just to make them feel better. Please find other ways to caress your ego, because you're actually making left-wing activism harder for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I also used to be one of those "hur hurr, I'm a paid-up European liberal, anything in the US is Ultra-Right by comparison" types.

And then my own country collapsed into Brexit.