Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Why do people keep thinking the tiny plus sign on the Right JoyCon is a d-pad when it's just a marking like the minus sign on the Left JoyCon

Because of a combination of autism and pattern recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
They are +/- buttons like on the wiimote and wiiu gamepad

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why it matters if it's a DPad or four buttons (a DPad is just a plastic cross on top of four buttons). It will do all the things a dpad can do.

The feel of it means all the difference, though. With a DPad I can just rock my thumb in the direction I want to change to. Not so much with unconnected buttons.

And even if they are connected (XBox 360) they can still feel like poo poo and not register presses correctly, I hated playing Arkham Asylum with my 360 controller because it was a pain selecting weapons.

Nintendo has always been the gold standard when it comes to precise directional control via a DPad on consoles and I'm disappointing that the Switch is launching without one.

[Edit: There are better alternatives to a DPad--the Steam controller's left touchpad + radial menus was perfect for the Arkham games, for instance--but disconnected buttons are not.

Also, playing VC games with a thumb stick sucks, and discrete directionals aren't gonna be much better]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 24, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So we have the backlash of BOTW only having JPN VO and JPN text but no JPN and ENG txt option?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

lelandjs posted:

The feel of it means all the difference, though. With a DPad I can just rock my thumb in the direction I want to change to. Not so much with unconnected buttons.

And even if they are connected (XBox 360) they can still feel like poo poo and not register presses correctly, I hated playing Arkham Asylum with my 360 controller because it was a pain selecting weapons.

Nintendo has always been the gold standard when it comes to precise directional control via a DPad on consoles and I'm disappointing that the Switch is launching without one.
What games use the dpad for precise subtle movements when the analog stick is right there?

That's an honest question. I don't play a ton of console games, but more often it seems like the dpad is just used as four extra buttons anyway.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Eiba posted:

What games use the dpad for precise subtle movements when the analog stick is right there?

That's an honest question. I don't play a ton of console games, but more often it seems like the dpad is just used as four extra buttons anyway.

2D platformers, fighting games, anything where you need to be able to change directions very quickly.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Eiba posted:

2D side scrolling platformers like Super Mario Bros., fighting games, pretty much anything on the Virtual Console from 8 and 16-bit generations

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It really depends on the game. Any sort of top-down RPG game I'd use the DPad for control (we're talking the Pokemon games, etc). It wasn't until X&Y that I switched to the circle pad, and that still felt wrong. Twitchy plaformers like Shovel Knight/Super Meat Boy/Etc feel better with a DPad, and on my Vita I use the directionals for movement in Binding of Issac.

I also like to use the Dpad for highlighting and selecting spaces in the Prcross E series of games.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 24, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wish the awful app was cooperating with me right now cause that post on the last page about how nrs games are better than kof and fight sticks are bad is the scrubbiest lol post i ever read itt and i wanted to quote it but it keeps crashing the app with its badness

Eiba posted:

That's an honest question.

Uh 2d games goon sir

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So we have the backlash of BOTW only having JPN VO and JPN text but no JPN and ENG txt option?

This is officially the dumbest thing to be mad about (if there are seriously people mad about it) and that's saying something considering all the poo poo people are mad about with the Switch.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colorspray posted:

I can't believe this thing has a mini dpad! Nintendo, Masters of innovation.
With how tiny the second stick on the N3DS is it could be one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

lelandjs posted:

It really depends on the game. Any sort of top-down RPG game I'd use the DPad for control (we're talking the Pokemon games, etc). It wasn't until X&Y that I switched to the circle pad, and that still felt wrong. Twitchy plaformers like Shovel Knight/Super Meat Boy/Etc feel better with a DPad, and on my Vita I use my Dpad for movement in Binding of Issac.

I also like to use the Dpad for highlighting and selecting spaces in the Prcross E series of games.

And while I agree with all of this there are plenty of people who see stick and use that over the D-pad even when it makes sense. I've tried to explain to a 12 year old (family member) that they are bad at SMB and can't beat 4-2 because they are using the stick instead of the pad. They have used it a few times and mention it's easier but right back to the stick after a few lives. I don't bother reminding them anymore because hey it's a kid let them just have fun.

D-Pads are not comfortable and require breaking your thumb in. Remember all the blisters you got as a kid? We're a generation that already knows how to use it but how much sense does it make to make a button setup dedicated to people that are 30+ and mostly for older games?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to see a game that uses 4 joycons or more. Feet, hands, maybe one on your head. And you just look like a fool in your living room. But it's fun because it's like VR but without the dumb headset. Yeah!

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Mahoning posted:

This is officially the dumbest thing to be mad about (if there are seriously people mad about it) and that's saying something considering all the poo poo people are mad about with the Switch.

People get upset when a games don't have JPN voice options all the time though, it's not like they're picking the Switch or BOTW specifically to target for this. It's just a certain subset of people that enjoy playing games with the voicework of the original language even if they don't understand it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Instant Sunrise posted:

2D platformers, fighting games, anything where you need to be able to change directions very quickly.

And you can't change directions quickly on a stick or buttons because...?

Good things sticks aren't the de facto standard for fighting games either, we'd never see high level play without them.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pixaal posted:

And while I agree with all of this there are plenty of people who see stick and use that over the D-pad even when it makes sense. I've tried to explain to a 12 year old (family member) that they are bad at SMB and can't beat 4-2 because they are using the stick instead of the pad. They have used it a few times and mention it's easier but right back to the stick after a few lives. I don't bother reminding them anymore because hey it's a kid let them just have fun.

D-Pads are not comfortable and require breaking your thumb in. Remember all the blisters you got as a kid? We're a generation that already knows how to use it but how much sense does it make to make a button setup dedicated to people that are 30+ and mostly for older games?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone should use a DPad for games, I'm just disappointed that I'll no longer have that option.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Good things sticks aren't the de facto standard for fighting games either, we'd never see high level play without them.

If you think fighting sticks and regular controller sticks are the same then I don't know what to tell you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

You are sorely ignorant of the difference between an analog stick and arcade lever my dude

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

I wish the awful app was cooperating with me right now cause that post on the last page about how nrs games are better than kof and fight sticks are bad is the scrubbiest lol post i ever read itt and i wanted to quote it but it keeps crashing the app with its badness

Bring it on tough guy

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

lelandjs posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone should use a DPad for games, I'm just disappointed that I'll no longer have that option.

But you will have the option.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

lelandjs posted:

I think it's turning into a low percent of people use the D-pad even for games that benefit from it and that's a small percentage of games. If you want a D-Pad controller buy a pro controller or classic controller. That just seems to be how the industry is going. Would have been nice if it was a pack-in or if you could just use your old wiimotes.

Or even wii-u pro controllers I already own working with it would be nice.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

But you will have the option.

The option of buying the Pro Control-ahahahahahaha

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

moving a thumbstick requires larger thumb movements compared to a d-pad, making frame-precise movements much more difficult.

an arcade fight stick is held by the whole hand, not just the thumb and is capable of those frame precise movements as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess that fighting game super spergs, much like racing game super spergs, will just have to buy alternative controllers to give them the best control.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

That just seems to be how the industry is going.

Not really? The joycons are an exception in not having a dpad, and that's only to facilitate the dumb single-joycon control scheme.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

pixaal posted:

people got blisters from dpads as kids? wtf?

I mean I got a few blisters in my childhood but it wasn't the dpads what caused em.

(It was the endless yardwork)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The benefits of the dumb single-joycon control scheme will far outweigh the loss of the dpad which is easily replaced by the left side button cross in 99% of cases

E: The only thing you should have been getting blisters from was the center stick on n64 while playing mario party

E:E: I have incredibly strong opinions about video game controllers apparently

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I bet there will be new joycon versions for different games. Maybe they will act like amiibos and unlock things.

Seriously though, the lack of the cross Dpad will be felt in many games. Think about when doing down right or down left and then comparing it to having your thumb straddle two buttons and some space. It's very different.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Motto posted:

Not really? The joycons are an exception in not having a dpad, and that's only to facilitate the dumb single-joycon control scheme.

I mean, part of that is that the d-pad on Xbox controllers has usually been complete rear end, so multiplat developers don't use them as much, or only use them for things like inventory hotkeys where they aren't essential for gameplay.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

moving a thumbstick requires larger thumb movements compared to a d-pad, making frame-precise movements much more difficult.

an arcade fight stick is held by the whole hand, not just the thumb and is capable of those frame precise movements as well.

Also arcade sticks are digital and make it a lot clearer what exact direction you are pressing at any given moment. (The microswitches inside grant a tactile response that allows you to know the moment you engage a direction.)

It's a lot harder to tell on an analog stick when exactly you cross the threshold from "down" to "down-right" which is incredibly important in fighting games.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Davos posted:

People get upset when a games don't have JPN voice options all the time though, it's not like they're picking the Switch or BOTW specifically to target for this. It's just a certain subset of people that enjoy playing games with the voicework of the original language even if they don't understand it

Honestly though, the concept of hearing the "original" voice actors doesn't make a lot of sense for a simultaneous worldwide release where the Japanese and English voice actors were likely hired around the same time. This isn't an after-the-fact dub where an English voice actor steps into the shoes of an established Japanese performance. Hell, I think among the various trailers, we actually heard the English Zelda speaking before we heard the Japanese one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Instant Sunrise posted:

Oh, ok, so basically this doesn't matter to 99% of people.

No one is going to be playing high level anything on a Joycon/Switch anyway so this is a non issue.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

VideoGames posted:

I bet there will be new joycon versions for different games. Maybe they will act like amiibos and unlock things.

I saw others saying similar stuff after the announcement and its like is this supposed to be a good thing considering how expensive they are?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dpads are good and the normal controls not having one is lame especially when I'm going have this in portable mode most of the time.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh, ok, so basically this doesn't matter to 99% of people.

No one is going to be playing high level anything on a Joycon/Switch anyway so this is a non issue.

Virtual Console games and Mario Maker

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

Virtual Console games and Mario Maker

Many indie games also work better with a dpad

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr President posted:

, and Retro's new game (More than likely Metroid Prime 4)

Source

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bef posted:

Source

My deepest, most fervent hopes

Edit: well, delusions, but you get my point

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Feel like dpad is for people that grew up with it and don't want to control anything with a stick..don't ever find it comfortable or better to use than just an analog. Fighting games I can understand however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm actually surprised by the thread's reaction to the loss of the DPad, in my mind it's one of the few legitimate gripes about the console. Not that it's stopped me from preordering the console and three games to go with it, of course.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 24, 2017

• Locked thread