Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was 2:30 in the morning so the Navy equivalent of Harry Kim was in charge. The captain was sleeping. Whoever was actually on watch at the time will be the one who gets owned.

Yeah that's not how the navy works, the captain is directly responsible for everything that happens on their ship. If the OOD was poo poo it's cause the CO was running a lovely command. The navy might be the only place in the US where the executives are actually held accountable for what the people below them do.

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Harry Kim was never that bad and he had Tom Paris to back stop him. Harry would also gladly give his life if he had to.

It seems more of a Bender thing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, this. It's an ecosystem as vibrant as any other. Though the wall is going to mess up more things than just the environment. If I remember correctly Tohono O'odham land runs across the border, so a wall would cut right through their community. Not to mention all the border towns that likely would get messed up by it as well.

What kind of rear end in a top hat didn't watch planet earth and learn this?

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

oohhboy posted:

The desert is an environment too so should the Trump wall get built it's going to gently caress up a desert of all things.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39888754

Heard quite a few anecdotes that most of those border militias run-ins are with field biologists.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/876342954151071745

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

lol is he trying to insulate Trump University somehow? Or did the settlement wipe out the existing debts for former students? Not entirely read up on the whole ordeal.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
DeVos wants to turn over student loans servicing to a single company overseen by the treasury as if the purpose of the loans was to turn a profit. So this would have happened with or without Trump U.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Covok posted:

People are upset and worried for their own lives because of people like him. Saying awful things online is venting more than anything else.

I'm not getting that sense. I'm getting the sense that there are more than a few people on this forum who are unironically blessing James Hodgkinson, and that's how we get more of him. Wonder if he was a member of this forum?

Even if you approach this from a completely amoral, logical sense, you get zero results by shooting Republicans because they are roughly a third of the country. If you want to change this, you change minds, not enact one-man Stalinesque purges.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Dave Grool posted:

Yeah that's not how the navy works, the captain is directly responsible for everything that happens on their ship. If the OOD was poo poo it's cause the CO was running a lovely command. The navy might be the only place in the US where the executives are actually held accountable for what the people below them do.

Yeah, but it is probably the difference between "being drummed out of the Navy in disgrace" as will happen and "being court-martialed and jailed for manslaughter" as would happen had he been in active command at the time. At least, that's my impression given what I know of the Navy.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Has this been mentioned in this thread yet? This would be a second written account on Trump trying to interfere with the campaign investigation.

quote:

A recent National Security Agency memo documents a phone call in which U.S. President Donald Trump pressures agency chief Admiral Mike Rogers to state publicly that there is no evidence of collusion between his campaign and Russia, say reports.

The memo was written by Rick Ledgett, the former deputy director of the NSA, sources familiar with the memo told The Wall Street Journal. Ledgett stepped down from his job this spring.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-tried-convince-nsa-chief-mike-rogers-russia-investigation-fake-report-626073

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Not according to the loving edgelords on this forum. I don't think they have any sense that he's a real human being, they talk about him like he's a bad guy character on a TV show.

the world would've been a better place if him and people like him had never been born.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the world would've been a better place if him and people like him had never been born.

Nothing counteracts pointing out edgelord Internet sociopathy like an edgy counterfactual!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i didn't know edginess was now a synonym for correctness. learn something new everyday.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Smug tone policing is a real loving delight too, we're all super grateful for it. Congrats on having something important to be self righteous about on a dead comedy forum.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At least Captain Planet villains had endearing character quirks. The current Republicans are all cartoonishly evil while also being loathsomely smug about killing off their fellow citizens through legislation and pushing violent rhetoric. Them literally crying because their white supremacist buddy got hurt due to their work proliferating guns to people that shouldn't have them while vying for the votes of nuts that think Sandy Hook parents are the bad guys doesn't humanize them it makes them even bigger trash.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 18, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm not getting that sense. I'm getting the sense that there are more than a few people on this forum who are unironically blessing James Hodgkinson, and that's how we get more of him. Wonder if he was a member of this forum?

Even if you approach this from a completely amoral, logical sense, you get zero results by shooting Republicans because they are roughly a third of the country. If you want to change this, you change minds, not enact one-man Stalinesque purges.

And how in the gently caress do you that for people who are insulating themselves into a whole separate world in which even the most basic objective facts have become "too politicized?" I can't even reach 75% of my family because everyone is "entitled to their opinion" even when it contradicts reality.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why should I not be happy some amoral idiot who is perverting democracy got shot by someone with a long criminal record after same idiot spent years working to loosen gun restrictions and has an A+ rating from the NRA?

That is exactly the situation the phrase poetic justice exists for.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrNutt posted:

And how in the gently caress do you that for people who are insulating themselves into a whole separate world in which even the most basic objective facts have become "too politicized?" I can't even reach 75% of my family because everyone is "entitled to their opinion" even when it contradicts reality.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. You can't change minds that are fundamentally lacking not in facts, but in the capacity for reasoning and critical thinking. There is a sizable portion of this group (and probably on the left as well) that has utterly failed to develop these skills, so there aren't many tools you can use to correct this after a lifetime of reinforcement.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm actually a little happy that there has been more push back against the idea that Republicans are now a persecuted minority than I expected there would be. The reality of the situation is that Republicans, from their politicians to their media have been pushing violent actions against their political opponents, journalists, protesters, and minorities for decades. I don't think many people outside already committed Republican voters are falling for these crocodile tears and I'm glad Pelosi at lead laid it all out how trash they are to be using this as an attempt to hide their bloody hands on this because the media has the audacity to publicly report on their actions.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't think we, the country, those trapped in their conservative bubbles, or even this dead lame comedy forum benefits from talk that makes it seem like assassination attempts against political figures are ever justified. We'll win at the ballot box or we'll lose. Open bloodshed is actually a really hosed up bad thing that won't likely help the average American.

Scalise is a piece of poo poo whom I don't feel really bad for, but you have to think about the larger costs. Our system of government hasn't reached the point that war is the only way to improve our admittedly awful situation.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
What we need are two big rockets, a liberal one and a conservative one. All the liberals go in the liberal one, all the conservatives go in the conservative one, and then we colonize two seperate planets, cut all communication and, at last, know peace.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

DrNutt posted:

Volunteer to help these people with their home improvement projects. Screw them up in every possible way - incorrect measurements, pound in nails in random locations, saw the stair banister in half, etc. Explain that all your actions were correct in your opinion, and opinions can't be wrong. If they protest, accuse them of trying to violate your first amendment rights.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Starmaker posted:

What we need are two big rockets, a liberal one and a conservative one. All the liberals go in the liberal one, all the conservatives go in the conservative one, and then we colonize two seperate planets, cut all communication and, at last, know peace.

what about the purists v centrists

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

skylined! posted:

what about the purists v centrists

"Okay so what we need is 4 rockets-"

"What about Tea Partiers?"

"Okay, so what we need is about 7 billion rockets..."

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Triskelli posted:

Please don't lump us up with you insane folks.
~ Regards, rest of mankind.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Please don't lump us up with you insane folks.
~ Regards, rest of mankind.

Yeah, you own this mess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Starmaker posted:

And then the conservative planet inevitably destroys itself so the liberal planet can colonise that one too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Triskelli posted:

America needs the Musubi reason ending.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

SwissCM posted:

And then the conservative planet inevitably invades the liberal planet so they can colonise that one too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SwissCM posted:

And then the conservative planet inevitably destroys itself so the liberal planet can colonise that one too.

Planet is crumbling around them and thousands of years later one last radio transmission reaches the leftist planet. It reads simply: "triggered yet libs?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SwissCM posted:

And then the conservative planet inevitably invades the liberal planet so they can colonise that one too.

Well, maybe if the rockets to to opposite ends of the galaxy...

...man, that would make for a weird as hell retelling of Foundation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Yeah they'll make it so e.g. the DSA is classified as a terrorist organization or something like it, and if you're a member then you don't get to buy guns. They'll run a background check and bar you from buying a hunting rifle because you have a subscription to Jacobin.

That's the "extreme" left, of course. Actually doing that would have almost no effect since few people have ever heard of the DSA and all the rest. What would be interesting is if they'd go ahead and pass a law with actual teeth like you can't buy a gun if you've ever belonged to a union or donated to the ACLU or one of the millions of various bullshit "grassroots advocacy" organizations Democrats love to spin up.

That could quickly turn the current cultural cold war hot. Good.

I was with you until you said "background checks", in which this whole plan just falls apart. We've had at least two mass shootings, including this most recent one, that should have been prevented by background check enforcement but didn't. And the current holders of power don't want to change that, especially if it's looking like they'll get run out on a rail in the next couple of elections. If something like that came to pass and the Democrats took over in 2018 and 2020, then some people are going to be very nervous because they've gave them the tools to start mass gun confiscation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AceOfFlames posted:

...man, that would make for a weird as hell retelling of Foundation.

Better than the weird-as-hell retelling of The Dispossessed we're already working on. At least there they already have the cool spaceships.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Raylen posted:

lol is he trying to insulate Trump University somehow? Or did the settlement wipe out the existing debts for former students? Not entirely read up on the whole ordeal.

Trump University wasn't actually a university.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This thread has gone from not caring whether republicans live or die to Allied Powers Speed Run in record time.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Well with gun companies hurting during a R administration, we should all be considering buying up gun stocks for the 2018 election.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrNutt posted:

I can't even reach 75% of my family because everyone is "entitled to their opinion" even when it contradicts reality.

this is mostly the media's fault and just our culture in general. it's probably true of politics everywhere but since i'm american i can only speak of us. there's this stupid idea that politics is just down to opinion or that any stance is valid just because someone holds it. that isn't really true, there are objectively correct stances for nearly every political issue. but it doesn't matter if you hold them because the right wing media has broken millions of brains and the mainstream media always has to have this moronic "balance". i can't think of a single gop belief that isn't totally counter to reality.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 18, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dave Grool posted:

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, but it is probably the difference between "being drummed out of the Navy in disgrace" as will happen and "being court-martialed and jailed for manslaughter" as would happen had he been in active command at the time. At least, that's my impression given what I know of the Navy.

The CO, XO, OOD, and possibly the TAO/CICWO will get fired. The OOD's Department Head could get a letter of reprimand for failing to train their DIVO properly (assuming the OOD was a DIVO and not a DH for some reason). There is very little chance anyone will have a criminal case brought up on them because criminal negligence is something the Navy doesn't like to prosecute when it comes to navigation accidents. (Of course, they don't typically end with 7+ people dead in addition to the millions in damages, so take that as you will.)

The only way criminal charges might be filed is If the CO was on the bridge and sanctioned the maneuver or if it was logged that the OOD called the CO, gave him the plan, and the CO signed off on it. Of course, depending on the CO, 0-dark-30 calls to the CO's cabin about navigation plans aren't the most scrutinized, especially if the CO can see on his radar display that there isn't much out there since you're likely jostling them straight out of REM sleep.

Chilichimp posted:

This thread has gone from not caring whether republicans live or die to Allied Powers Speed Run in record time.

Its the weekend and they're bored. Give them a break.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Trump University wasn't actually a university.

Everyone seems to assume it was something like ITT or ECPI, but it was really just another one of those 'get rich in real estate' seminar scams. I think every idiot that has a fix and flip show has attached their name to one at this point. Basically, they draw you in with a free seminar, then offer more and more expensive seminars and 'mentoring' from 'experts'. The problem is the 'experts' tend to be people picked up off the street and the 'mentoring' can cost upwards of $30-50,000 dollars. If you see 'I Buy Houses' signs scrawled in lovely handwriting littering the side of the road where you live, chances are that person went to one of these things. I don't know the details of Trump University, but I imagine it was something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not sure where this sunshine and roses it'll all work out bullshit is coming from. We have a sitting President who lost the popular vote and is compromised by business interests and foreign powers while not being held accountable by one of the most hilariously corrupt Congresses in the world.

That Congress is only in power due to concentrated gerrymandering efforts and voter suppression.

We know that Russia (the same country that he is beholden to) at the very least tried to hack into election machines.

If Trump doesn't go down this country is pretty clearly​in a Constitutional crisis. The one thing that's saved us is that he's loving stupid. We're only not headed to a dictatorship because the evil guy is retarded.

Why would I be sad any of these idiots die? They don't give a poo poo about anyone their policies kill.

• Locked thread