Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He ran out of money for experimentation (to save his dear daughter) but he knows he has to pay for his daughter's education. He worked out a deal with the court to do some classes to keep paying for it, but he couldn't afford her textbook and he has to teach her to use less expensive makeup. A loan shark beat him up last week so he's in a pretty bad shape, but he doesn't want his girl to worry about him so he keeps a serious face.

What a great guy that Antonio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lurdiak posted:

You know, I hear Surma died, and he did nothing.

But he thought of nothing else but working to cure her!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sinnlos posted:

Perhaps not giving Antimony a book is part of a ploy to detect her cheating.

I think it more likely he's mocking her for cheating. He's saying "don't you normally just copy Kat, why do you need your own book."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think it more likely he's mocking her for cheating. He's saying "don't you normally just copy Kat, why do you need your own book."

Unless he made the Thousand Eyes, he has no way of knowing that.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Lurdiak posted:

idk he's clearly able to gently caress with her spiritually, due to the bone tower dream space thing, so who knows

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe other teachers have caught on and told him. Another possibility, the students books are paid for by their parents, Anthony is flat broke, and that's why he took the teaching job. Annie will get her book after he gets his first paycheck.

Haha, no, he's just a tosser.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Lurdiak posted:

You know, I hear Surma died, and he did nothing.
Nothing? He killed her with his dick. And not even figuratively.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Parts Kit posted:

Nothing? He killed her with his dick. And not even figuratively.

Do we actually know for sure Anthony is the biological father?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
It certainly seems suggested from Annie's mannerisms. Although, y'know, nature vs. nurture.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fecha posted:

It certainly seems suggested from Annie's mannerisms. Although, y'know, nature vs. nurture.

Honestly, I think what you're ascribing to nature is plain old nurture. Young Annie seemed quite cheery and friendly, but once Surma died she only had Tony to be around so she god that whole weird stoic mannerisms thing like he does. And it's not like she got to socialize much even when Surma was still around either.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Coyote said Annie is mostly human, so her family line isn't just an endlessly-cloning elemental.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Slime posted:

once Surma died she only had Tony to be around so she god that whole weird stoic mannerisms thing like he does.

I think after Surma died she went to the court pretty quickly, so it's probably more "as Surma got weaker and weaker, she was able to be less and less of an influence on Annie, which magnified Anthony's relative influence."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think it was more Annie's coping mechanism for having just lost her mother.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, so here's some pictures of the book to give you an idea for the size (that's a DVD case).

And a closeup of one of the panels. I never noticed that his eyes are X'ed out in this scene.

The colors are better than my iPhone and lovely lighting allow. I'll have to take a picture of the book during not-night if someone wants a better idea of the color, I was just trying to show the detail.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Oh poo poo, I didn't know the vol 1 softcover was up for sale! Just bought it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Man, I've been coddled by the slow pace recently. It's been awhile since I've been bothered by the extra day of waiting on the weekend. And this is high drama with a scenery-chewing jerkface, too.

(I wonder if he put "has been punched by a current member of the student body in advance" on his resume when he applied?)

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

T-man posted:

Do we actually know for sure Anthony is the biological father?

I was wondering for a while if Eglamore might actually be her father, but it seems to be implied in a huge number of ways that Anthony is most definitely her biological father so I don't think that theory really holds up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Sooner or later, Anthony is going to confront the fact that Reynard has basically been her father for a few years now. I'd be surprised if he takes this well.

Okay more like weird uncle who can't disobey her, but y'know.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

IUG posted:

Alright, so here's some pictures of the book

Thank you!

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009

Brightman posted:

Maybe other teachers have caught on and told him. Another possibility, the students books are paid for by their parents, Anthony is flat broke, and that's why he took the teaching job. Annie will get her book after he gets his first paycheck.

How do you join the court, anyway? A lot of the students seem to be kids of previous students but that can't be everyone. Parents have to pass some sort of security check or something? Anthony's surgeon job was in a normal hospital (I think?) and Kat's vacation were to the outside world so it's not like they're complete shut-ins.

Also I realize the money suggestions aren't really serious but I doubt the Court has tuition fees. I imagine they need outsider currency to buy certain supplies but that seems like it would be trivial to get. I mean Kat invented an antigravity device in order to study protein crystallization. They're not short on potential patents.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brightman posted:

My guess is Anthony reviewed the work she's turned in so far when he came to the court and merely suspects cheating.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Kat's going to destroy Anthony, building a giant mech that looks like Annie. Except in a twist, Anthony ALSO has a giant mech, that looks like, for whatever reason, Ultraman. They then have a robot fight that destroys the Court.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Kat's going to destroy Anthony, building a giant mech that looks like Annie. Except in a twist, Anthony ALSO has a giant mech, that looks like, for whatever reason, Ultraman. They then have a robot fight that destroys the Court.

Only Boxbot survives. He is later accidentally crushed during the construction of the Robox Memorial.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a problem with that. Surma's gone to the ether and the only thing left of her soul is Antimony.

no, the whole deal with fire elementals is they pass on their entire soul to their children. From a ether perspective, Annie is Surma

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

A big flaming stink posted:

no, the whole deal with fire elementals is they pass on their entire soul to their children. From a ether perspective, Annie is Surma

I wouldn't think so, as Annie had to deliver Surma to the ether herself. It's probably something more nebulous like passing on her "life force" or something like that.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

chami posted:

I wouldn't think so, as Annie had to deliver Surma to the ether herself. It's probably something more nebulous like passing on her "life force" or something like that.
She really didn't; there was nothing to send.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

maswastaken posted:

She really didn't; there was nothing to send.

Counterpoint, last panel. I get what you're saying, but it's right there. something was left, just not enough that any guide would be able or willing to claim it. Obviously something was passed to Annie, but something had to be left behind to go into the ether. My guess is that Chami is at least partially right, and that Surma's Life force was transferred to Annie, but her mind, memories, and everything else was not. To the other guides, Surma was likely half a soul; A mind with experiences, thoughts, and feelings to add to the ether, but no life force with which to help the planet continue to spin. It's like an artist trying to show you his life's work, and it's just a canvas with no paint.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Counterpoint, last panel. I get what you're saying, but it's right there. something was left, just not enough that any guide would be able or willing to claim it. Obviously something was passed to Annie, but something had to be left behind to go into the ether. My guess is that Chami is at least partially right, and that Surma's Life force was transferred to Annie, but her mind, memories, and everything else was not. To the other guides, Surma was likely half a soul; A mind with experiences, thoughts, and feelings to add to the ether, but no life force with which to help the planet continue to spin. It's like an artist trying to show you his life's work, and it's just a canvas with no paint.

literally the text in the comic dude

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
She took something, but she didn't take everything. Clearly she took the life force of Surma, because that's what killed her mom. Probably she didn't take the sense of "self", because that's what she had to walk into the ether. The metaphysics of what it means to take one and not the other might be a bit complicated to a talking mongrel that was in love with a woman that used him, and who indirectly turned him into a murderer. He's probably not the first person to get a clear answer on the subject from.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Since Annie wasn't entirely sure on how to take someone into the ether before practice with Mort, is possible that she thought she guided her mom, but what really happened was the last vestiges of her mother passed to her at that moment of death.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

There has to be some sort of rule against making a comic so incredibly upsetting on a three-day-a-week update schedule

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
I just got caught up again and oh my god :(

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
God this chapter is nerve wracking .

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Alright, they're going to be talking one-on-one. If there's going to be even the slightest inkling of a hint of a better person buried beneath Anthony's behavior, we should be seeing it soon. On the other hand, face-to-face at long last with no classroom dynamic in play, this could also be a great opportunity for Annie to suddenly decide to be angry instead of deferential.

Man! I haven't been this anxious for the next page in all my years reading Gunnerkrigg!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Antimony, I did my best to constrain myself in the presence of your classmates today but now we are in private, I just want you to know... How deeply, deeply disappointed I am in you as a daughter."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Dienes posted:

Since Annie wasn't entirely sure on how to take someone into the ether before practice with Mort, is possible that she thought she guided her mom, but what really happened was the last vestiges of her mother passed to her at that moment of death.

Seems unlikely. She knows what she's doing when she guides Mort. She even warns him that he might start to forget things, and then he does in fact seem to forget things. (He calls her miss.) Then there's the fact that she's recognized as a psychopomp. Why would that be if she had never done psychopomp work?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
I'm hoping he does a bit of a face-turn here, but that's partly my empathy for Annie speaking. I guess the question is, how much has Surma's death changed Anthony? Is he still the person who Surma, the Donlans, and a younger Annie knew?

With regards to Surma, I suspect that Anthony was trying to find a way to splice off a portion of the fire elemental, hoping that it works like botanical cuttings and a transplant can be used to save or even revive a dying host.

I suspect the final journey and return to the ether is critical to the process, though. Enough was at stake between the two guides Annie helped as a child for there to be a dispute over who got to be the child's guide, for example. Some part of the process benefits the guide, and is probably crucial to their existence. It is the result of their fulfillment of their purpose, after all.

I wonder if guiding a powerful soul can strengthen the guide aspect of the elemental to the point where it can survive reproduction? Annie's line has survived for millennia after all; I can't imagine that having to leave your sole child motherless is exactly a successful reproductive strategy. Perhaps the problem is that their nature as guides has been forgotten. And Annie is likely to end up guiding a certain soul who eats psychopomps like popcorn.

E: here's an optimistic prediction: Anthony does a face-turn and confronts Annie about cheating (look there's no way this dude hasn't been reading her homework and tracking the progress of her education, that's not even weird for a parent to do). But he demands she apologize to Kat. I'm assuming that we're in for more loops in the emotional roller-coaster before the chapter ends, though.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 23, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm personally rooting for a ROTD situation when she went off on the vampire dude and we saw the other side of it. But it's her dad and she's super loving intimidated so it'll be up to him to show some love.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aww, she looks so hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
She seems optimistic going in, and Kat looks more supportive than murderous, so I doubt that anyone will challenge Anthony unless he at least pushes deeper into epic heel territory for a few more strips.

E: As long as Anthony keeps in some manner reminding me of Snape, I think I'll be happy. They're fundamentally similar characters, though if anything Snape's situation was even more ridiculously unfair.

Like, how exactly does one deal with having to teach the kid you'll never have and loving them while they do their level best to remind you that they're also the kid of basically the biggest jerk you've met this side of Voldemort? I'd like to think I'd do a better job, but I would not make a very good morally conflicted heel-with-a-heart-of-gold.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 23, 2015