Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nintendo Kid posted:

It isn't. Why do you think Sony ain't saying poo poo about how much they're willing to put in?

Because

a) they want potential backers to think that the fans are the ones mainly funding the game, because Sony saying "actually, no, we're spending four times as much on this game as you are" would put a damper on fans' personal and emotional (and financial) investment in both the game's development and its Kickstarter campaign, and

b) virtually no publisher or developer ever publicly discloses the exact amount of money being invested into any given venture, and that includes pretty much every Kickstarter-funded project that found outside funding during or before the Kickstarter campaign itself.

Every other Kickstarter that's had a publisher or other investor separately providing the bulk of the backing has had a deal along the lines of "we'll invest $X if you meet this much smaller Kickstarter goal to prove that the audience for this game exists". Why would this one game be any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gtrmp posted:

Every other Kickstarter that's had a publisher or other investor separately providing the bulk of the backing has had a deal along the lines of "we'll invest $X if you meet this much smaller Kickstarter goal to prove that the audience for this game exists". Why would this one game be any different?

That's the thing, if you claim to disagree with me, you're saying it is different?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's the thing, if you claim to disagree with me, you're saying it is different?

There's a difference between an investor saying "we'll invest $8 million if the Kickstarter brings in at least $2 million", which is (as I understand it) how most deals along these lines have worked, and "we'll invest $10 million, minus what the Kickstarter brings in, if the Kickstarter brings in at least $2 million", which is the situation that you're suggesting. (I mean, the actual number probably isn't exactly $8/$10 million, but you get the idea.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gtrmp posted:

There's a difference between an investor saying "we'll invest $8 million if the Kickstarter brings in at least $2 million", which is (as I understand it) how most deals along these lines have worked, and "we'll invest $10 million, minus what the Kickstarter brings in, if the Kickstarter brings in at least $2 million", which is the situation that you're suggesting. (I mean, the actual number probably isn't exactly $8/$10 million, but you get the idea.)

The reality is that the "investor" is more likely to say "we will provide up to $8 million" in the first place instead of flat out $8 million.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I thought the Shenmue team had confirmed that they were mainly getting marketing support from Sony rather than development funding, much like other indies, or has that changed again? :confused:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

I thought the Shenmue team had confirmed that they were mainly getting marketing support from Sony rather than development funding, much like other indies, or has that changed again? :confused:

It's more, someone already posted the quote in the thread, go read it.

I think Sony has been a bit disingenuous the whole time about how Adam Boyes started out with "We've got nothing to do with this" when he intro'd the kickstarter and now they've slowly gotten more and more involved now that it's wildly successful.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

It's more, someone already posted the quote in the thread, go read it.
Is this the quote? (key part bolded by me)

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Update #13 posted:

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.
If that's it, then that says that Sony is handling the marketing/production/publishing side of things but not providing anything for development in terms of money. That isn't to say it's not a help as it certainly is, but it doesn't suggest anything to me that Sony will be available to provide extra funds to the developers to make the game.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

If that's it, then that says that Sony is handling the marketing/production/publishing side of things but not providing anything for development in terms of money. That isn't to say it's not a help as it certainly is, but it doesn't suggest anything to me that Sony will be available to provide extra funds to the developers to make the game.

"Production" is part of development, like QA and stuff. This was already discussed too if you read the thread.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

The reality is that the "investor" is more likely to say "we will provide up to $8 million" in the first place instead of flat out $8 million.

Well, again, the way stretch goals have been implemented in every remotely professional kickstarter that had outside backing suggest otherwise. Like, Bloodstained's investors pitched in money that would have paid for 95% of what it'd have taken to actually make the game if it only just hit its base-level funding goal, and it went on to bring in around ten times what was asked for on KS. By your logic, none of the money beyond the initial KS funding goal actually matters to the game's development, since every additional dollar coming in via KS was just subtracting from the amount the investors would otherwise be kicking in, so all of the game's stretch goals are actually being produced with no additional funding whatsoever. Does that even make any sense?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It is amazing how much everyone in this thread cares about how a video game is funded

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It is amazing how much everyone in this thread cares about how a video game is funded

yeah this poo poo really should get discussed in a thread about video game funding instead.

... oh wait.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Seriously I honestly would love if some bigger dev just used Kickstarter as a measure to see if some old series deserves a revival (i.e. Square and Anachronox or Capcom and Darkstalkers) or a new IP should get the go ahead. It's not like Kickstarter gives a poo poo about their original purpose and games like that wouldn't exist unless the crowdfunding proved there was a market for it.

Gamers just got to get all worked up over the stupidest poo poo though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So do you all work in the video game industry

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gtrmp posted:

Well, again, the way stretch goals have been implemented in every remotely professional kickstarter that had outside backing suggest otherwise. Like, Bloodstained's investors pitched in money that would have paid for 95% of what it'd have taken to actually make the game if it only just hit its base-level funding goal, and it went on to bring in around ten times what was asked for on KS. By your logic, none of the money beyond the initial KS funding goal actually matters to the game's development, since every additional dollar coming in via KS was just subtracting from the amount the investors would otherwise be kicking in, so all of the game's stretch goals are actually being produced with no additional funding whatsoever. Does that even make any sense?

Stretch goals are typically lies to get people to put in more money when the people behind a kickstarter already have a solid funding source, yeah. They primarily exist because people just expect them now. And many people simply won't bother to put in any money if it's already over the original goal unless there's a stretch goal.

Accordion Man posted:

Seriously I honestly would love if some bigger dev just used Kickstarter as a measure to see if some old series deserves a revival (i.e. Square and Anachronox or Capcom and Darkstalkers) or a new IP should get the go ahead. It's not like Kickstarter gives a poo poo about their original purpose and games like that wouldn't exist if crowdfunding proved there was a market for it.

Gamers just got to get all worked up over the stupidest poo poo though.

That's exactly what they did with making a movie for some dead TV series a few years back. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gtrmp posted:

By your logic, none of the money beyond the initial KS funding goal actually matters to the game's development, since every additional dollar coming in via KS was just subtracting from the amount the investors would otherwise be kicking in

I'd like to think the more $$$ the kickstarter has, the more leverage the developer has with their funders later. We all know what happened when star citizen ballooned past all imaginable limits, but the first 20 million were really just "I get to take less money from VC, keep more creative freedom with the project", if you actually read past the initial page PR bull.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Truga posted:

I'd like to think the more $$$ the kickstarter has, the more leverage the developer has with their funders later. We all know what happened when star citizen ballooned past all imaginable limits, but the first 20 million were really just "I get to take less money from VC, keep more creative freedom with the project", if you actually read past the initial page PR bull.

Which video game
Company do you work for.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Which video game
Company do you work for.

Crazy Shenmue fan & backer spotted.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I will admit to playing the first shenmue on sega dreamcast as a preteen, and also pledging $29 for a download of shenmue III.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Which video game
Company do you work for.

I don't, I'm just quoting what allegedly happened, according to the people who were doing the star citizen crowdfunding campaign.

As I said, "I'd like to think".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

"Production" is part of development, like QA and stuff. This was already discussed too if you read the thread.
Most of the direct quote stuff I've seen in the last pages has deliberately been vague, saying Sony will be there to "help out". The only explicit thing is how the kickstarter money is all going into development and not into Sony's pockets, and it's weird how that was something that needed to be said. Honestly for me Sony's involvement is the saving grace of this kickstarter, because it means they're there as a potential lifeline if the project gets into trouble. I'm not sure how that is a bad thing.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Hrm Bard's Tale IV added a streamer to their page guess they haven't gotten what they expected.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/description

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Even a giant anime girl can't save this game from its rightful destiny in the toilet.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

Most of the direct quote stuff I've seen in the last pages has deliberately been vague, saying Sony will be there to "help out". The only explicit thing is how the kickstarter money is all going into development and not into Sony's pockets, and it's weird how that was something that needed to be said. Honestly for me Sony's involvement is the saving grace of this kickstarter, because it means they're there as a potential lifeline if the project gets into trouble. I'm not sure how that is a bad thing.

I said they've been "a bit disingenuous" about it, not that it was a bad thing. It's called criticism.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Triticum Guzzler is the best poster on these forums.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh my God STOP http://gematsu.com/2015/07/mighty-no-9-live-action-movie-production

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What could go wrong? :downs:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Capcom did nothing wrong.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Capcom did nothing wrong.

Capcom's made mistakes, but canning Mega Man wasn't one of them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The only thing worse than a live action video game movie is a low budget live action video game movie. I watched that Halo Teens one and even with all that backing it was loving terrible.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

The only thing worse than a live action video game movie is a low budget live action video game movie. I watched that Halo Teens one and even with all that backing it was loving terrible.

You should try watching the Red Faction movie THQ made to promote Armageddon.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Given they can't have much of a budget I'm really curious about how they're going to do it, particularly the costumes and the sets.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Megaman Was NEver Good

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lowtechs posted:

Hrm Bard's Tale IV added a streamer to their page guess they haven't gotten what they expected.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/description

I took a look at the project, but I just can't get a sense out of what the Bard's Tale IV adds to the Bard's Tale I-III other than "now with pretty graphics". So if someone could enlighten me, that'd be great. Also those stretch goals are garbage. Does it really cost 50,000-200,000 to design a dungeon? Does it really need to hit 650,000 above the base game before they can afford to add"visible equipment in inventory"? I don't think so.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 8, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
"For another million the game will be good"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Depending on how many people are working on it and for how many months, a sizable game level could very well cost $50,000. 5 people paid at 50-60k salary (probably a generous estimate) would be covered for 2-3 months. But that's assuming they don't have interns and aren't putting in unpaid overtime (lol)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I am actually pretty surprised by how poorly Bard's Tale has done but tbh I expected it to do far better than the project was worth. As a brand that people love BT is in a very distant third place behind Torment and Wasteland, not even taking into account Brian Fargo stinking up his own joint in 2004 to the point where it's sort of hard to swallow the usual major publisher sob story from him - he sold the property, got paid to do nothing of value with it, and now he's coming around again.

I mean Brian Fargo is an old school hustler who wholly and uncynically believes his own hype, he probably did expect that people would be as fired up about a Bard's Tale comback as he was. But the '04 version keeps hovering on the Android store front page and brother, you just have to look at the icon to comprehend its worth and potential. It sort of seems like they lowballed themselves on the goal and you'd think they'd be smarter than that. Got cocky, I suppose. Was Chris Avellone their secret weapon?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm pretty sure he said he knew people weren't clamouring for a new Bard's Tale to the same degree as their other games but he did it anyway because it's the game he most wants to make. Eh.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I am actually pretty surprised by how poorly Bard's Tale has done but tbh I expected it to do far better than the project was worth. As a brand that people love BT is in a very distant third place behind Torment and Wasteland, not even taking into account Brian Fargo stinking up his own joint in 2004 to the point where it's sort of hard to swallow the usual major publisher sob story from him - he sold the property, got paid to do nothing of value with it, and now he's coming around again.

I mean Brian Fargo is an old school hustler who wholly and uncynically believes his own hype, he probably did expect that people would be as fired up about a Bard's Tale comback as he was. But the '04 version keeps hovering on the Android store front page and brother, you just have to look at the icon to comprehend its worth and potential. It sort of seems like they lowballed themselves on the goal and you'd think they'd be smarter than that. Got cocky, I suppose. Was Chris Avellone their secret weapon?

What icon, that awful smuggo picture? Half the 5-star reviews on Bard's Tale android version are just PC gamers rebuying it for their new toy anyway, which is probably the target audience they're looking for with this Kickstarter. They're at over 2 days remaining with 1.4m out of 1.9m for Avellone, so I'm pretty confident that they'll make it to that point, but what exactly Avellone would add to the design team for this already-planned dungeon is probably something that nobody pledging for that tier can actually articulate. Maybe he'll put a secret door in a very thoughtful location.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Motto posted:

Capcom's made mistakes, but canning Mega Man wasn't one of them.

I'd argue that canning Mega Man was a mistake, but it's looking like canning Inafune wasn't.

Edit: As for Bard's Tale not making as much as they expected, I'd like to point out that there are still over 3,000 of the second tier early birds available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canning Mega Man is a complicated issue because the series never sold particularly well and the only reason why it had so many entries was nepotism. But there is still a small but vocal hardcore fanbase for it and it was probably worth their time continuing to make small budget games every few years in order to appease them.