Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Alterian posted:

One of the ones I had to deal with made me take forms to the daycare to sign for each reciept to verify and I had to scan each one in induvidually.

And then fax them in. One at a time. With a minimum 1 week dwell period between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sheri posted:

I was the treasurer on the board of directors on the daycare my son went to (it was set up as a non profit so it needed a board).

I can guarantee you that most daycare centers are not pocketing any money. Like 85%+ of our tuition went to payroll, and the teachers still made poo poo, and then we had to pay for food/supplies/insurance/maintenance/mortgage/etc. out of the tiny bit left. And the rates we charged were very much in line with what pretty much every center around here was charging.

It's bonkers. My wife is a director, she doesn't see the budget but knows enough that the building's owner had to open 3 franchises before he made enough to quit his day job. She makes a lot of money for her position and I still make more than her.

From what I'm told though, most of the teachers don't mind the crazy. You don't go into a field like that unless you love kids. Then the kids turn into the easy part, it's those drat parents that cause all the grief. Plus once you get into 2s, you can start building routines and structure which makes the day flow easier. Before that, it's just a bunch of babies, and babies own so much who doesn't love babies.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alterian posted:

One of the ones I had to deal with made me take forms to the daycare to sign for each reciept to verify and I had to scan each one in induvidually.

I never did a dependent care FSA but I did medical once.

They gave me grief over hospital bills because we had a god drat baby and didn't like the way it was itemized. I guess a bill from a hospital isn't proof enough that it's a medical expense?

Never again. I'd rather just pay the loving taxes on it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My DCFSA is I guess somewhere in between, but not too bad. I have to earn it per-paycheck, but then the receipt I get from daycare every month is apparently sufficient for reimbursement. So once I accrue more than 1 month of daycare tuition I upload my latest statement with a very quick blurb about it being daycare for my kid, and a few days later I get money in my checking account. Should have enough for another reimbursement in a month or so. Then a few hundo left over to get reimbursed after the new year before it all starts over again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours was born... Like a couple days after normal healthcare insurance "open enrollment" closed and it took us like two months to get her retroactively covered from birth. Some moron/penny pincher was trying to deny all of her hospital bills because we didn't enroll her during open enrollment. Which had ended before she was born. Also being born is an exemption from open enrollment.

Like, over a million babies are born each year in the US alone, getting coverage started is not at all an uncommon thing. I'm just :psyduck: over here at the idea that onboarding newborns would have this many bugs. It's a brand new life/medical record, there's no historical data to gently caress up your process

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

fourwood posted:

My DCFSA is I guess somewhere in between, but not too bad. I have to earn it per-paycheck, but then the receipt I get from daycare every month is apparently sufficient for reimbursement. So once I accrue more than 1 month of daycare tuition I upload my latest statement with a very quick blurb about it being daycare for my kid, and a few days later I get money in my checking account. Should have enough for another reimbursement in a month or so. Then a few hundo left over to get reimbursed after the new year before it all starts over again.

We have it pretty easy, relatively, although I think we’re about the only family that uses it - work-run daycare had no idea what we were talking about. It gets pulled from my paycheck and loaded onto a Mastercard my wife swipes every two weeks or so. Never had to muck with receipts or anything.

It’s our first year using it so we’ll see if it becomes a giant pain in the rear end at the end of the year.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah, I think it’s extremely vendor dependent (:capitalism:). My dependent FSA is really easy to use- I submit receipts up front because we max out the benefit in about 2 months, but then I just get a reimbursement direct deposited each week the day after my paycheck hits.

We also have extremely inexpensive, comprehensive, and easy to use health insurance, and for real I think it’s my company’s version of golden handcuffs because it sure ain’t the pay.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Halloween provokes a lot of really weird conversations with my daughter.

The other day we were at Target and there was a huge inflatable gate with WELCOME MORTALS on it. She asks what a mortal is, so I explain they're those who die like us and like animals do. "Okay... why does the gate say that?" I guess it's a gate to the underworld, where in myths weird demons that don't die exist. Apparently the gate is welcoming the dead mortals to the underworld. "That's weird." It is a little weird! It makes more sense in context, but it's also a weird context. "Let's move on." Yes, let's.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
All I can say about our insurance is that it's orders of magnitude cheaper (like $20 vs. $200) to take the kiddos to the ED than to the after hours care clinic. Guess where we go all the time. (Bonus when it turns out to be a legitimate medical emergency.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The other morning our kid picked up my partners water glass and took a drink from it, then announced: "me drink glass water!"

Only, he can't quite pronounce 'L's or hard 'G's. So what came out was a very cheerful "me drink rear end water!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

"me drink rear end water!"

wicked same

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
$5k a year?! Wow!! That only leaves $33k of daycare costs that need to be taxed out of our income but at least we get so much in return for our taxes, like police overtime! The government sure is great!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The other morning our kid picked up my partners water glass and took a drink from it, then announced: "me drink glass water!"

Only, he can't quite pronounce 'L's or hard 'G's. So what came out was a very cheerful "me drink rear end water!"

Our kid does something similar in that he pronounces “ah” like “uh.” When he asks us to read him Fox in Socks, which is all the time since it’s his favorite book, it comes out as something….inappropriate.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

There was a period when mine would make the words "fork" and "frog" sound hilariously inappropriate.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

My son will yell loudly whenever he sees a clock, but he is not good at L’s yet. It’s pretty funny.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My kid calls trucks cucks, which is great whenever she's pointing at some shithead with a lifted Ford f-150

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Just hit a major developmental milestone and couldn’t be more proud.

Big ole turd in the bathtub.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah, the Hunt for Turd October

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah we went 15 months with no pooping in the tub, then bam, 3 times in the span of a couple weeks

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Brawnfire posted:

Ah, the Hunt for Turd October

Unfortunately, children take dumps without plans.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Ugh, kid has RSV. :sigh: Lots of quiet quitting and not a lot of sleeping for me this week I guess. Poor thing seems like she feels really bad.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just got off a long flight EVERYONE had a cough the stewardess in my section freely offered that she had covid (and no mask on) nice raspy voice

Top off your family on your boosters ahead of holiday travel

Edit: also projectile vomit at 40,000 ft. I just threw that set of clothes away. Not worth it. All over the car seat too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I remember a time when my oldest was still a baby. My husband was dropping his car off at Walmart to get tires or something and I followed in my car to take him home. He had him in his car. When we got there he got out and had a look on his face. He said "it sounded like he was dumping a gallon of milk". In the car ride there, he had thrown up all the formula he just drank all over himself, the car seat, and back of the car. It was also pretty cold out. Of course it was just a quick there and back so I didn't bring the diaper bag. We found an old gym shirt in the car that he wore into Walmart so I could buy him new clothes and dress him in the bathroom.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

There are few worse feelings than driving around and hearing The Burp from the backseat, knowing what will inevitably follow.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yup. Had that once while driving home from my parent's house, halfway into an hour and half drive You clean it the best you can but there's only so much you can do without ripping the entire car seat apart and throwing it all in the washing machine, so poor kiddo had to sit in stinky cheesy car seat the rest of the way. Nothing beats wiping barf off your kid in some random gas station in an unfamiliar neighborhood at 9 in the evening.

The only saving grace is that my wife was with in the back seat with him, so she was able to catch most of it.

We don't give him milk in the car anymore.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I feel lucky that my kid ended up vomiting on only two occasions in three years: when she was about a year old and we introduced peanut butter, and on the recent trip abroad, when she projectile vomited into my wife's mouth due to norovirus or something.

She made up for the lack of vomit in spades by totally destroying the sleep schedule tho. :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is great. Oldest son had HFM, missed preschool…gave it to infant so he was kicked out of daycare. Oldest son went back on Monday to school. Two days ago he had a fever and was sent home. Dr appointment yesterday with a sinus infection-given antibiotics.

Our preschool is run by the government and their policy is any fever-not coming back for 3 days even though the pediatrician gave him a clean bill of health to return friday.

I love paying for daycare and preschool we hardly use. It’s great. My wife is really enjoying all the free time she has to apply for jobs /s

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My daughter, my wife and me have been ill now for about three weeks, just with back-to-back colds. TV time and sleep routine have gone out the window, we're all exhausted.

What age did you get your kids a tablet or other screen-interaction device?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

jabby posted:

My daughter, my wife and me have been ill now for about three weeks, just with back-to-back colds. TV time and sleep routine have gone out the window, we're all exhausted.
Are you me?

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

jabby posted:

Are you also me?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This thread is obviously a single Parent projecting themselves through time and space.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

gbut posted:

This thread is obviously a single Parent projecting themselves through time and space.

A sleep deficit so severe it breaks time and space itself.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jabby posted:

It's come up before, but we (effectively) bought our son an iPad Air 2 at two. Yes it was stupid expensive. We were staring at a 12 hour car trip and were desperate.

That said, if you're a Disney+ subscriber the upgraded storage model holds a shitload of downloaded content--like entire TV series and multiple movies--and there's a handful of Dr. Panda games we were comfortable with him playing with. Once you have it loaded up just kill the WiFi and they can't really do anything to seriously screw it up. Also the battery lasts all day.

Since then we've gone on multiple 10+ hour trips and we don't hear a peep out of him the entire time.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jabby posted:

Not yet, at nearly 4.

I have no idea when it is going to happen though. We feel like it’s inevitable but can’t think of a reason.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
While we are on the subject of devices, my nearly two year old was given a switch. I know, it’s a bit absurd. It was a hand me down from a friend’s kid, so it’s pretty beat to poo poo already. I haven’t given it to my son just yet, but I’m wondering if there are any games I can turn on for him that would be easy for him to just button mash and wander around in. Or feel free to tell me that’s crazy and just hold onto it for a few more years first.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think at that age the best you're gonna get is them watching you play Fall Guys. Kirby Forgotten Land also has a cute lil sidekick mode. Not even two is real young though.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Agreed. Two is probably too young. That's more of a sit and watch age. If you are a gamer and haven't had a Switch yet, get Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey. My daughter loved watching me play those when she was 2.5.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Awww yeah I bet he would love watching me play Mario galaxy, it’s so colorful :)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Agreed. Two is probably too young. That's more of a sit and watch age. If you are a gamer and haven't had a Switch yet, get Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey. My daughter loved watching me play those when she was 2.5.

My little toddler loved watching/directing Untitled Goose Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

BadSamaritan posted:

My little toddler loved watching/directing Untitled Goose Game.

My daughter was almost 5 when that came out. We played together and she loved running around, honking at people, and stealing their poo poo. It's a great game to play with little kids.