Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh idk i don't let the AI cast spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

drat, I forgot how much I liked Alora. What a crime that she never shows up in the later games. Her rabbit's foot is utterly broken and amazing too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
BG1 - Chapter 7

I finished off just about all the quests I could think of before finishing Chapter 5. I've now reached Chapter 7, after a harrowing time in the last part of Chapter 6 where after a boss fight near the end of the dungeon, every time I tried to rest after that I got attacked. It was ridiculous.

I've retrieved the documents from the Iron Throne and the Invitation from the undercellar. Is there anything else I should do at this time? Ulgoth's Beard, the tower, or should I just beeline for the end?

I've also been told that Duke Eltan is dead, although he was only "sick" a short while ago. Is that because I did stuff in the wrong order? I have saves and can try again.

Is the Siege of Dragonspear worth playing, or should I go to BG 2 without doing it? (I'm not bothering with the Black Pits.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 25, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Durlag's Tower is definitely worth doing. It's one of the best dungeons in the series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never played Siege of Dragonspear, but I don't think anyone here who has has said they regretted it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

BG1 - Chapter 7

I finished off just about all the quests I could think of before finishing Chapter 5. I've now reached Chapter 7, after a harrowing time in the last part of Chapter 6 where after a boss fight near the end of the dungeon, every time I tried to rest after that I got attacked. It was ridiculous.

I've retrieved the documents from the Iron Throne and the Invitation from the undercellar. Is there anything else I should do at this time? Ulgoth's Beard, the tower, or should I just beeline for the end.

Is the Siege of Dragonspear worth playing? (I'm not bothering with the Black Pits.)

I think someone already said this upthread (Skwirl?), but you can, if you want, to go through the main campaign up until the door to the very last hide-out of the big bad, turn back, and do the "DLC" content that you find in Ulgoth's Beard. And yeah, Durlag's Tower is the best dungeon in the game series, but it's also balls to the wall hard so watch out. Great loot though. The island quest is a bit less... Interesting, or fun. Not the ice island one, that's at least short, there's another island thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just finished Durlag's tower. It's always good fun. My favorite bit about the final boss though, is Lol wand of paralyzation lmao even. I win.

I'm probably gonna skip Werewolf island, though. I'm kinda done with the game. Been playing for a lot of hours and I'm ready to try out Siege. Gonna go slap down Sarevok and being Siege. Being a Bard I'm actually really excited to try out all those Bard goodies. May even keeper some of the items in BG2 if they don't transfer over, for shits and giggles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Duke Eltan can't die. You took him to the harbor master as part of the main plot and he's recovering there. I literally don't think there's any other way to finish that quest, and it's part of the main questline. You're fine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Arivia posted:

Duke Eltan can't die. You took him to the harbor master as part of the main plot and he's recovering there. I literally don't think there's any other way to finish that quest, and it's part of the main questline. You're fine.

I don't think I'm that far, actually. What I did after coming back to BG was walk into the Iron Throne HQ, talk my way up get some documentation, then went into the Undercellar Brothel and killed the assassins and got their invitation, which points me to the Ducal manor. But it's good to know that I can continue without reloading, I guess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think I'm that far, actually. What I did after coming back to BG was walk into the Iron Throne HQ, talk my way up get some documentation, then went into the Undercellar Brothel and killed the assassins and got their invitation, which points me to the Ducal manor. But it's good to know that I can continue without reloading, I guess.

Oops, my apology then. You should, in that case, keep going through chapter 7 until after you've finished up at the Ducal palace. Afterwards is an obvious moment that the real final dungeon is coming, and that's when it's good to peel off and do the other stuff. But do save Duke Eltan!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress the main villain just ran down these stairs to his hideout, let's chase him and end this once and for all

OR we can gently caress around the region for a few months and see if we can find some cool caves with treasure in them, and THEN come back to these stairs

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh right. I forgot about the follow-up to Durlag's. Now I remember the frustration. I was mixing up the two big fights. Seriously, gently caress that fight. Doesn't help that the stationary cultists have like AC of 200 and the stupid demon casts hold person like every other second. Glad i had enough potions to stop that nonsense but keeping up with healing was a pain in the rear end. Lowering it down to easy mode for the extra 6 to hit was extra helpful too.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm kind of dreading getting up to that fight with maxed out difficulty in SCS, so far my party has been ripping through everything, but there comes a point even with uncapped XP when the power curve slows down and you really need to pull out all the stops.

Unrelated, but I found the journal of Elmonster on the internet archive, possibly one of the first let's plays from around 2003 of someone attempting a solo make playthrough of BG2. It's a fun read.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180831184353/http://www.baldurdash.org/journal.html

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jimbot posted:

Oh right. I forgot about the follow-up to Durlag's. Now I remember the frustration. I was mixing up the two big fights. Seriously, gently caress that fight. Doesn't help that the stationary cultists have like AC of 200 and the stupid demon casts hold person like every other second. Glad i had enough potions to stop that nonsense but keeping up with healing was a pain in the rear end. Lowering it down to easy mode for the extra 6 to hit was extra helpful too.

A shame the weapon at the end of that second questline is such a disappointment considering what you have to fight to get it.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Jimbot posted:

drat, I forgot how much I liked Alora. What a crime that she never shows up in the later games. Her rabbit's foot is utterly broken and amazing too.

Curse of the NPCs that don’t show up until the end

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
I've enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear quite a bit, whenever I replay BG now I include it in the playthrough. It has a bit of a different approach to encounter design compared to the original games, a lot more managing big groups of enemies. I think the writing is decent, better than the quests Beamdog inserted into BG1/2, although it's not crazy good.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Jimbot posted:

If it's the fight I'm thinking of, you need to focus on the big bad. I can't remember all the buffs required but death ward and haste are helpful. As are area of effect spells to take out the chaff. You can also pop in and out with one character, I believe, unlike most area transitions where you must gather your party before venturing forth.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unfortunately, that was my line of reasoning but the big bad explodes out of the immobile cultists and you have to do that fight again and it happens each time.

I wouldn't be so bad if the cultists weren't the most well armored beings in low level D&D history, lordy lord. Agannazar's Scorcher helps a lot but it's still slow enough that you have to run around the arena with the dumb thing in tow.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Unfortunately, that was my line of reasoning but the big bad explodes out of the immobile cultists and you have to do that fight again and it happens each time.

I wouldn't be so bad if the cultists weren't the most well armored beings in low level D&D history, lordy lord. Agannazar's Scorcher helps a lot but it's still slow enough that you have to run around the arena with the dumb thing in tow.

I had it backwards, didn't I? You need to kill the cultists first. Jesus it's been a while. Still fireballs and potions of explosion etc. are good for that. And I think that's why I remembered popping one or two characters in and out - to cast/throw fireballs.

Now I feel like I'm forgetting something else, though... Sorry.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No worries. I burned the guy down. It took a few reloads but I got them. Was uncharacteristically hard for a fight in BG1. Like I said, if the cultists weren't so hard to hit the fight would have been more manageable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's a dumb gimmick fight really. I suppose it's fitting as an end of expansion pack fight, but I didn't really have the patience to puzzle out the clues on how to deal with the gaze attack. I just looked up the fight solution after a few attempts.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Aec'Letec's paralyze, silence and death gaze all allow for a save. Potions of magic shielding make saving throws automatic and they last 30 rounds.

The stairs back up aren't a "you must gather..." transition and he won't follow. Someone's about to die? Upstairs they go.

With the usual potions of giant strength and heroism, oils of speed, etc. he should be chop suey pretty fast. His defenses aren't great and your magic shielding buffs completely neuter his gimmick.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Pierre McGuire posted:

I've enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear quite a bit, whenever I replay BG now I include it in the playthrough. It has a bit of a different approach to encounter design compared to the original games, a lot more managing big groups of enemies. I think the writing is decent, better than the quests Beamdog inserted into BG1/2, although it's not crazy good.

I still find the final fight of SoD one of the hardest in the series. I've only done it three or so times, but it requires many reloads. Definitely up there with the dragons and the liches and the twisted rune.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've started SoD and it feels pretty seamless. You hear the years on the returning VA but beyond that, it's like stepping back in time to 1999 and playing a second Baldur's Gate expansion.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pierre McGuire posted:

I adore the main storyline in Siege of Dragonspear. I am not claiming that concept has never been examined before, as I am sure it has, but specifically in D&D and even more specifically in the Forgotten Realms, that is something that was just begging to be written. I rarely feel like saying "actually yeah, I am 100% onboard with joining the villain" in any game, but I was completely unironically ready to help Caelar Argent complete her quest. Which granted might not be tonally appropriate for the overall game but it sure was an interesting change of pace

Jimbot posted:

I've started SoD and it feels pretty seamless. You hear the years on the returning VA but beyond that, it's like stepping back in time to 1999 and playing a second Baldur's Gate expansion.
Some of my favorite David Warner voice acting is in Dragonspear honestly. The way he says "broken fiend's lickspittle" conveyed true disgust more directly than I think I have ever heard anywhere else

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I still find the final fight of SoD one of the hardest in the series. I've only done it three or so times, but it requires many reloads. Definitely up there with the dragons and the liches and the twisted rune.

In the elevator tower to the final SoD fight, you can safely rest as much as you want before the climb. You will be attacked 3 times on your way up, with 3 generous pauses in-between, giving you time to heal, yes, but also cast your long, medium and short duration buffs respectively.

Up top, Bel-what's-his-face is a joke as nothing attempts to dispel or debuff you and he sure as poo poo can't handle 3 warriors with giant strength, heroism, speed and whatever else you throw on (protection from evil 10' is nice). Hephernan literally dies in 2 hits. The fight was not designed with a rested, fully buffed party in mind.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I really, really, really wish I had tried to rest on the lift and also thought about the long/medium/short buff idea instead of buffing before going up, forgetting there's fights on the lift and just how it crawls to the top.

I hear that a way to trounce the last boss really quickly is to have a superbuffed Corwin with arrows of the void turn him into an enormous demonic pin cushion which I'll have to try on my next run, since I'll be playing a good/neutral bhaalspawn next time around.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress the main villain just ran down these stairs to his hideout, let's chase him and end this once and for all

OR we can gently caress around the region for a few months and see if we can find some cool caves with treasure in them, and THEN come back to these stairs

This persists even in BG 3!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Suspicious posted:

In the elevator tower to the final SoD fight, you can safely rest as much as you want before the climb. You will be attacked 3 times on your way up, with 3 generous pauses in-between, giving you time to heal, yes, but also cast your long, medium and short duration buffs respectively.

Up top, Bel-what's-his-face is a joke as nothing attempts to dispel or debuff you and he sure as poo poo can't handle 3 warriors with giant strength, heroism, speed and whatever else you throw on (protection from evil 10' is nice). Hephernan literally dies in 2 hits. The fight was not designed with a rested, fully buffed party in mind.

I couldn't even cast all my buffs on the elevator. Hephernan + Demon is a lot easier than Caelar + Demon, but the raining fire stuff requires a lot of micro and does a lot of damage if you mess up.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I hear that a way to trounce the last boss really quickly is to have a superbuffed Corwin with arrows of the void turn him into an enormous demonic pin cushion which I'll have to try on my next run, since I'll be playing a good/neutral bhaalspawn next time around.

Corwin definitely makes the fight easier, but corwins a fuckin cop.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Torquemada posted:

This persists even in BG 3!
I dunno I played through Act One twice in early access and finished it in final release last week and I have still not actually figured out how to keep everyone in the burning tavern from being dead when you get there

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If you get to close to the tavern, the game essentially starts the event. I headed upstairs and freed the woman on the left, she ran off with her entourage. Then through the door opposite hers, with the lying down guy, open the door in the corner that leads to the front of the building and get him through it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really like the itemization in SoD - how there are baseline bonuses and then more specialized or situational ones. So some items would benefit certain classes or races but if you have neither you still get something out of it. It's long past that now but it would have been awesome if they went through both EE games and did that sort of thing for the items in them. It makes them so much more fun and interesting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr. Quarex posted:

I dunno I played through Act One twice in early access and finished it in final release last week and I have still not actually figured out how to keep everyone in the burning tavern from being dead when you get there

In BG3? Don't long rest after you get within range of the inn to trigger commentary on "hey there's a loving fire nearby". Resolve the situation first. That simple.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Captain Oblivious posted:

In BG3? Don't long rest after you get within range of the inn to trigger commentary on "hey there's a loving fire nearby". Resolve the situation first. That simple.
I long rested precisely once in Act One, when it made me do so after saving the tieflings, long after I had failed to save the burning people :( my pet theory is there is a timer when you get close to it or something, since I always do the Karlach/abandoned toll collector area first and that is pretty close?

Actually it makes you long rest again for whatever reason when transitioning to the mountain pass, so that was two long rests then.

I realize this is not exactly on-topic. Fortunately I always have other thoughts about Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Was Gullykin unfinished or just kind of underwhelming? I remember being so excited about a village of halflings and then basically like 1.5 of them have personalities and you CANNOT EVEN BUY HALFLING GOODS

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Gullykin was probably just underwhelming. BG1 doesn’t feel like a game with a lot of unfinished content to me, it’s just sparse in a lot of parts. Gotta give BioWare some leeway when they were reinventing the genre and all that.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I just finished TotSC and I'm so glad I saved Durlag's Tower for last. The other two areas the expansion offered were pretty good but that tower's basement is just sublime. I did get stumped a couple times by the puzzles and had to peak at a guide, though.

All that's left is the main questline now since I cleared every area and possible sidequest in the base game (well, up to and including Chapter 5 anyways).

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Arivia posted:

Gullykin was probably just underwhelming. BG1 doesn’t feel like a game with a lot of unfinished content to me, it’s just sparse in a lot of parts. Gotta give BioWare some leeway when they were reinventing the genre and all that.

It was 1998. It was pretty massive for that time.

I don't think they were trying to pack the game full of deep content, but rather just show as much of the sword coast as they could. Kind of a different design philosophy from what we get now where if an area exists it needs to be packed full of content.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I suppose that makes sense, and is probably a fairly good justification for name-dropping a bunch of different stuff; they obviously had no idea the game was going to become The Most Important Game, they just wanted to throw in everything from the Forgotten Realms that they could justify given the location and timeline.

I am sure the first time I explored Gullykin I was totally overloaded with stuff to sell and was just mad about the lack of a place to do commerce with the tiny folks. Though I would be surprised if there were any other like defined communities in the games that are less fleshed-out than that one (yes I know I will immediately get like five responses with better examples; I will say abandoned villages do not count!)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Isn't the priest in gullykin a merchant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Genthil posted:

I just finished TotSC and I'm so glad I saved Durlag's Tower for last. The other two areas the expansion offered were pretty good but that tower's basement is just sublime. I did get stumped a couple times by the puzzles and had to peak at a guide, though.

All that's left is the main questline now since I cleared every area and possible sidequest in the base game (well, up to and including Chapter 5 anyways).

You're not done. Go back to Ulgoth's Beard for one more fight.