Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Roargasm posted:

Sure. It's a drop down menu and I didn't know you could select it and type your own value afterwards, the lowest value on the drop down is 5 minutes. Anyway it's not weird to do checks and poo poo 1440 times a day, this job grabs a bunch of json and formats it into a status page
Why do you need it to play once every minute when you can just do (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer(--your sound goes here--)).PlayLooping()

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

Why do you need it to play once every minute when you can just do (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer(--your sound goes here--)))).PlayLooping()

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqLEN1fIqMg

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zaepho posted:

Small shops need automation too. Start with things that eat up a lot of time like User Provisioning or things that are almost never done well like User De-Provisioning and start automating. Then start looking to hook that automation into the HR processes so IT never has to look at them again.

PSDeploy for application packaging is a good one to play with to start getting your applications installs standardized (even without having to go so far as using something like SCCM for large scale deployments). A lot of the underlying pieces of the "big boy stuff" is still useful in a small shop.

You can look at imaging via MDT since the cost is simply resources (Server/Disk) and the OS license. This translates very well to large environments.

Some things you automate may not save a ton of time, but they can standardize processes and if nothing else can help you learn to automate better.

That's definitely an idea. I've been thinking way too big and doing stuff within my confines would be a much better plan.

Thank you. :) I appreciate it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
One of our satellite campuses in the city got their internet line cut yesterday accidentally by construction. Notices went out and it was eventually fixed around 10pm last night. Inconvenient but nothing earth-shattering.

Today around 8:30am I get an email from our tech guy over there saying all their connectivity is gone as of 10am this morning. Well, it's early, he probably just made a typo. So I send a shout up the tree that there might still be issues, and email back asking to clarify the time the issue happened, and has he tried rebooting the stuff yet today since it was fixed last night?

Nope nope, 10am, and yes, he's rebooted stuff. Hrm. Send an official ticket out to save time, but also email to point out "Hey, it's not 10am yet." Oh, he's reporting yesterday's outage. Who told us about it?

Our automated alerts did, and then our infrastructure team called him, yesterday, and talked with him about the problem. He's a good guy, and knows his stuff, so I just had to have a chuckle over the miscommunication.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This may be weird. But every time I go to the datacenter I get sleepy and start yawning a lot. even after drinking coffee. Don't have this issue at the office.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Usually the cold aisles just make me have to suddenly piss

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I just get a raging headache after like 5 minutes from the dry air and noise.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sefal posted:

This may be weird. But every time I go to the datacenter I get sleepy and start yawning a lot. even after drinking coffee. Don't have this issue at the office.

Take 100mg caffeine 15mg ephedrine

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sefal posted:

Maybe it's the fact that you're in an entire building made out of white noise?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My only issue with walking into my server room is that its hot as balls but management doesn't want to invest in actual air conditioning.

My company does work world wide. We have offices world wide. Why the gently caress do they not care about things like "your servers might actually die because its so loving hot".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IT pro tip: Wear earpro in datacenters. It may not seem loud, but it will still give you tinnitus eventually.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

IT pro tip: Wear earpro in datacenters. It may not seem loud, but it will still give you tinnitus eventually.

I worked inside a datacenter for hours a day over the course of a couple years and can confirm.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

dogstile posted:

My only issue with walking into my server room is that its hot as balls but management doesn't want to invest in actual air conditioning.

My company does work world wide. We have offices world wide. Why the gently caress do they not care about things like "your servers might actually die because its so loving hot".

Airconditioning through the cloud.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just interviewed a candidate who claimed to be a expert Windows architect but hasn't used anything newer than Server 2003 and thinks SMBv1 is totally fine and works great.

I hate this industry.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just interviewed a candidate who claimed to be a expert Windows architect but hasn't used anything newer than Server 2003 and thinks SMBv1 is totally fine and works great.

I hate this industry.

Windows 2003 is by far the most superior version of windows.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

jaegerx posted:

Windows 2003 is by far the most superior version of windows.

windows small business server disagrees

over and over and over again in the log files until the c: drive fills up and crashes the system

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

over and over and over again in the log files until the c: drive fills up and crashes the system

*violent twitching intensifies*

imagine working at an msp where most of your clients are running sbs 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yep I've been there. When SBS died all those clients went to 0365, and the transitions were the most terrible, head-banging moments in my professional career. SBS allowed for some really lovely workflows that just couldn't be translated into anything else, and the small offices absolutely could not come to terms with changing the way things worked.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Airconditioning through the cloud.

My cloud is more of a heater than an air conditioner.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

SBS owns bones *drives off cliff on morning commute*

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Jokes on you, I've had tinnitus most of my life! Checkmate datacenter

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We just got our one and only client that had an SBS server off of it, took months because we kept finding weird processes that were tied to it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hate MS SQL mirroring, nodes just randomly stop working or it forgets the configuration whenever it trucking wants This is the last cluster I don't have in an AlwaysOn AG and I'm going to light these servers on fire

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
MSSQL is a loving catastrophe if you're trying to implement any sort of modern clustering. We had to call MS every single time it fucks up and now we're going back to MySQL 5.6

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

I did not know this. Thank you!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
drat, just found the worst fiber conduit ever. We ran some SM fiber through some old fiber paths near the world trade center and attempted to bring up the ports using 10G LR's. The receive dBm at all 20 ends was around -25dBm

I don't even think a ZX optic can save this one.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There is a reason the subtitle on the Windows mega thread is "gently caress Small Business Server Forever". It's not because it is a cool and good product to work with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One of my desktop people , on his first week, decided to hook himself up during lunch. I came back into the office to discover that he is now rocking dual 30 inch monitors.

:) "So.... whats up with these monitors? Where did you get them from?"

:350: "They were unused in the storage room."

:) "So you took the initiative to give yourself the upgrade?"

:350: "Well they weren't being used."

:) "Lets put them back and install your old ones." "Did you take anything else?"

:350: "Okay" "No, I didn't take anything else."

I do a quick scan of his machine and what do you know, he is now rocking 32 gigs of ram and three ssd's. There is no going back right? I can't see how I can trust him with anything valuable anymore. Its the first time I have had anybody working for me that I couldn't give at least this much responsibility to. Now my desktop lead has to do an audit to see if anything is missing. :arghfist:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

:350: "Okay" "No, I didn't take anything else."

Everything up until this point was no big deal, but outright lying? Yeah, you can't trust him with anything anymore.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Hopefully that audit turns up his missing termination papers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

Everything up until this point was no big deal, but outright lying? Yeah, you can't trust him with anything anymore.

This, exactly, while I don't think it's ok to do the "just take poo poo without asking", but I can see how someone would be dumb and think that's ok, lying about poo poo is just dumb, be an adult.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just lol if you run RSAT remote into domain controllers on your combined user/domain admin account with less than 32GB of RAM.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
He's got more memory than I do :(

top -l 1 -s 0 | grep PhysMem

PhysMem: 15G used (1852M wired), 1247M unused.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Fool posted:

Agreed. I can understand someone thinking 'Eh, it's not being used, I could use it.' but then he lied to you about taking other stuff. You should probably look into letting him go.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Peachfart posted:

Agreed. I can understand someone thinking 'Eh, it's not being used, I could use it.' but then he lied to you about taking other stuff. You should probably look into letting him go.

Agreed, and I'd emphasize it's not about the borrowing, it's about the lying.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In my office it's acceptable to take monitors from termed people's desks. At least in IT. It weirded me the hell out when one of the desktop guys told me to just take one. I was expecting to get yelled at by the manager, but I didn't.

Ask me about now having three monitors while some people in the building have a single 17" 4x3. It actually is useful, though. Email on one, spreadsheet on another, ERP system / another spreadsheet on the last one.

Our lead admin has 3 24" monitors, including a portrait rotated one on his sit/stand desk. IT is actually probably the most consistently well equipped out of everyone in the office.

What the hell are you going to do with 3 SSDs on a work machine?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In my office it's acceptable to take monitors from termed people's desks. At least in IT. It weirded me the hell out when one of the desktop guys told me to just take one. I was expecting to get yelled at by the manager, but I didn't.

Ask me about now having three monitors while some people in the building have a single 17" 4x3. It actually is useful, though. Email on one, spreadsheet on another, ERP system / another spreadsheet on the last one.

Our lead admin has 3 24" monitors, including a portrait rotated one on his sit/stand desk. IT is actually probably the most consistently well equipped out of everyone in the office.

What the hell are you going to do with 3 SSDs on a work machine?

Need SSD raid0 to reset passwords really fast.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Monitorchat: They are so cheap that not giving staff that need to multi task dual 24" displays just seems petty. I hear about people getting by on a single 19" display and struggling with spreadsheets and wonder what the gently caress they have done to deserve that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I actually downgraded my monitors shortly after starting here. I had a 27" and a 24" and replaced the 27" so I could have matching monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Monitorchat: They are so cheap that not giving staff that need to multi task dual 24" displays just seems petty. I hear about people getting by on a single 19" display and struggling with spreadsheets and wonder what the gently caress they have done to deserve that.

Agreed, only two people at my org had dual monitors and one was my boss. I purchased 20 new monitors for about 5k and upgraded everybody that asked for them.

Extremely happy staff with results of my work in front of them every day, and it barely dented the budget.