Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

The word from the devs in a live letter, as I recall, was essentially that Hydaelyn spared Emet (although it wasn't so much 'deliberately missing him' so much as 'not deliberately hitting him and just trusting he's a tricky enough bitch to dodge'), and that Lahabrea just lucked out by happening to be nearby.

Hydaelyn yelled out "A test of your reflexes," right before she sundered the star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

Interesting question they don't really get into though: If the High Seraph was on the star during the sundering, that implies she was sundered along with everything else, yeah?

I get the feeling Ultima isn't actually inside the Heart of Sabik. Based on how she was also able to manifest from another piece of auracite in the Ivalice raids, it's possible that she's somewhere else in the cosmos and using auracite as a conduit for her influence.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

bobtheconqueror posted:

Interesting question they don't really get into though: If the High Seraph was on the star during the sundering, that implies she was sundered along with everything else, yeah?

This has always been a possibility.

Lucavi. Lucavi EVERYWHERE.

Bloody Pom posted:

I get the feeling Ultima isn't actually inside the Heart of Sabik. Based on how she was also able to manifest from another piece of auracite in the Ivalice raids, it's possible that she's somewhere else in the cosmos and using auracite as a conduit for her influence.

We've never actually run into her directly, I think, she almost seems to be an Infohazard. Her Auracite trends towards creating strife, inviting the Lucavi in, and then she manifests as a Primal.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gearhead posted:

This has always been a possibility.

Lucavi. Lucavi EVERYWHERE.

We've never actually run into her directly, I think, she almost seems to be an Infohazard. Her Auracite trends towards creating strife, inviting the Lucavi in, and then she manifests as a Primal.

So what you're saying is that she's basically an Elder God? That's not concerning at all.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bloody Pom posted:

So what you're saying is that she's basically an Elder God? That's not concerning at all.

Explaining the Ivalice raid a bit, as we previously understood it: The previous story we were told is that Ultima arrived on Etherys at some point in the past, and the terror of her presence created the idea of a Primal that represented absolute destruction. The THING we fight during the Ivalice raid series is not Ultima, but the Primal created from the genetic terror she inspires in all life. She was Summoned by Saint Ajora in ages past and was imprisoned. Her presence erodes the aetheric structure of the world around her, creating auracite around her prison. She nearly broke free during Ramza's time and was locked back away again. Ultimately, we kill the poo poo out of the Primal because this is what we do. But .. her Auracite remains. Auracite that is shaped to cause ruin. Auracite that is poisoned in such a way as to shape pawns into her servants. Servants to call her back.

EDIT: For a while I thought we were going to find out the Final Days were caused by her arrival on Etherys. That this is why she said we were her children. That we were ALL made from the disaster she caused when she first arrived.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 24, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Huh, is there any reason to believe that Ultima is more than the entity we fought in Orbonne?

If so, that's really cool.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Explaining the Ivalice raid a bit, as we previously understood it: The previous story we were told is that Ultima arrived on Etherys at some point in the past, and the terror of her presence created the idea of a Primal that represented absolute destruction. The THING we fight during the Ivalice raid series is not Ultima, but the Primal created from the genetic terror she inspires in all life. She was Summoned by Saint Ajora in ages past and was imprisoned. Her presence erodes the aetheric structure of the world around her, creating auracite around her prison. She nearly broke free during Ramza's time and was locked back away again. Ultimately, we kill the poo poo out of the Primal because this is what we do. But .. her Auracite remains. Auracite that is shaped to cause ruin. Auracite that is poisoned in such a way as to shape pawns into her servants. Servants to call her back.

EDIT: For a while I thought we were going to find out the Final Days were caused by her arrival on Etherys. That this is why she said we were her children. That we were ALL made from the disaster she caused when she first arrived.

What if there were other planets seeded by Ultima in a similar manner, and the worlds destroyed by despair that Meteion was encountering were the end results of that seeding? Making her, in a roundabout way, responsible for the Final Days even after we stopped Athena? :tinfoil:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I suppose it is worth noting that Auracite is also what corrupted people on the thirteenth, so its existence on other shards kind of proves it was likely here prior to the sundering even without the revelations from the new raid content.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"And who made me that way?" is a loving phenomenal way to throw Athena in the dumpster, goddamn.

Cleretic posted:

The word from the devs in a live letter, as I recall, was essentially that Hydaelyn spared Emet (although it wasn't so much 'deliberately missing him' so much as 'not deliberately hitting him and just trusting he's a tricky enough bitch to dodge'), and that Lahabrea just lucked out by happening to be nearby.

I've always just gone with the interpretation that Venat knew she was in a time loop and the only hope of stopping Meteion was the WoL. So things had to play out the way we told her in Elpis, so she had to let the Unsundered live and do their poo poo. Its still not a terribly satisfying explanation, but that's sort of the pit that live letter left us in.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 24, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

I suppose it is worth noting that Auracite is also what corrupted people on the thirteenth, so its existence on other shards kind of proves it was likely here prior to the sundering even without the revelations from the new raid content.

I'd always assumed it was a similar name for the same concept, to be honest, but this makes a lot more sense and also gives us other ancient evils (in the generic sense, not specifically to the Amaurotine civilization) to combat so I'm all for it.\

1stGear posted:

"And who made me that way?" is a loving phenomenal way to throw Athena in the dumpster, goddamn.

It's beautiful. Just a total almost winking reversal of their usual sad villain moments, right down to the music playing being the exact same.

And of course Athena doesn't even want just to escape, she wants to win, to become a god, and she won't take anything less - which is especially laughable given that as Lahabrea pointed out Athena's definition of a god is weird and esoteric! Amaurotines were already capable of godlike creation in almost all respects save their requiring a physical form, and their needing the Star's granting their creations souls rather than creating them themselves. But that's not enough for her; she needs to be utterly in control, with beings who solely exist to serve and praise her.

What an awful person!

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 24, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Auracite comes from more than just Ultima the High Seraph, it's just she's a very potent source of them. Beyond that, the Ultima in the Ivalice Raids is the inter-dimensional invader. She is ALSO the primal born of her own appearance. She was a mindless predator, and the belief/fear she inspired caused a primal to form around her with a mind and personality, afaik/afair this is what's going on with Ultima being a primal and not. She's like Ysayle/Shiva or Venat/Hydaelyn. There was a being, and a Primal was created around it.

Theoretically any Primal can make Auracite I think, it seems to be a crystallisation of their power/will/capabilities. Heck, Garlemald can make synthetic Auracites, they're a replicable thing, they don't have to come from Ultima (or another primal/being) at all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I am probably brain poisoned, but a lot of the Pandaemonium finale felt like pushback against the Ascian fuckers. Athena being so far gone that to her even the Ancients are imperfect and therefore deserve to die, along with Lahabrea himself saying "Man, I'm going to do some hosed up and evil poo poo as an Ascian, that's awful."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hogama posted:

I did like in Pandæmonium where they hammered, one more time, "I don't care if you got his memories, you're not Erichthonios. That ain't how reincarnation works. You're someone else, don't play at being my son." Especially with all the souljacking happening and the pondering that the memory crystal should have responded to Claudien from the beginning but that his soul might have drifted far afield of his Ancient incarnation so the resonance took longer.

Maybe but it does seem to me that Claudien is in basically the same condition as Gaia, with some of the numbers-matching OEM soul and memories of a specific Ancient. Only difference is his Ancient wasn't a Convocation member or (as far as we know) ever an Ascian

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Maybe but it does seem to me that Claudien is in basically the same condition as Gaia, with some of the numbers-matching OEM soul and memories of a specific Ancient. Only difference is his Ancient wasn't a Convocation member or (as far as we know) ever an Ascian

From what we're told he basically rode out the end of days in Pandamonium trying to keep all sorts of crazy poo poo from escaping. Based off what we've seen he probably succeeded more or less but died in the process and at least some survived in some fashion. So yeah, no chance of him being an Ascian.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lord_Magmar posted:

Auracite comes from more than just Ultima the High Seraph, it's just she's a very potent source of them. Beyond that, the Ultima in the Ivalice Raids is the inter-dimensional invader. She is ALSO the primal born of her own appearance. She was a mindless predator, and the belief/fear she inspired caused a primal to form around her with a mind and personality, afaik/afair this is what's going on with Ultima being a primal and not. She's like Ysayle/Shiva or Venat/Hydaelyn. There was a being, and a Primal was created around it.

Theoretically any Primal can make Auracite I think, it seems to be a crystallisation of their power/will/capabilities. Heck, Garlemald can make synthetic Auracites, they're a replicable thing, they don't have to come from Ultima (or another primal/being) at all.

It may be better to describe 'Auracite' as 'Ether Crystals Built With Processes Outside Our Normal Natural Ones' .. these are distinct from 'Corrupted Crystals' or 'Ceruleum'

White Auracite seems to be a synthetic version of Auracite. Synthetic Auracite is probably the same, but made in an industrial process. Bluestone is the Allagan version of Synthetic Auracite, I think.

Memoria Crystals make very little goddamn sense, but fit the above technical definition of Auracite.

But Ultima corrodes reality to create Auracite around herself.

My main concern right now is the story of how 'mindless' Ultima was on arrival. I'm starting to wonder how much we REALLY know, considering how well the whole system seems to work together to make her almost impossible to dislodge one she's established a presence in a world.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really like that (raid spoiler)we got the option to say "man, do I really have to kick Elidibus' rear end again?" Got a big laugh out of me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't get the immediate jump to 7.0 SPACE CONFIRMED when the only vague hints we have about a destination are Erenville going home, a mysterious letter, and a mysterious client who wants Archons for an expedition. Not exactly a lot to go on.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
We are going to the bunny mansion in iceland

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Twibbit posted:

We are going to the bunny mansion in iceland

Unfortunately, on The Source, the Bunny Mansion is in Lea Monde.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gearhead posted:

Unfortunately, on The Source, the Bunny Mansion is in Lea Monde.

That's making a lot of assumptions, like that Erenville is from Dalmasca to begin with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm hoping that Erenville is going to Erenville.

Unfortunately they edited out the part where they said his name was from a place, so I don't know how canon that is.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maybe he's from Wisconsin

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also I don't think anyone would be gathering up intellectuals for an expedition to Dalmasca. You can just like...go there. On an airship.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I don't get the immediate jump to 7.0 SPACE CONFIRMED when the only vague hints we have about a destination are Erenville going home, a mysterious letter, and a mysterious client who wants Archons for an expedition. Not exactly a lot to go on.

It's not so much that I'm expecting 7.0 SPACE CONFIRMED, but more that I'm now wise to how the storytelling in the game plays out, and this patch is setting up a lot of dominos for the writers to potentially knock down later down the line. Whether it's intentional or a means for them to close up any potential plotholes, it'll be entertaining either way :munch:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 24, 2023

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also I guess they decided Lahabrea was crazy in ARR because between pressure and probable memory loss his Hephaestion tendencies flared up.

(Raid spoiler)Per Lahabrea himself, I think the implication was that he would eventually (inevitably) forget or dismiss why he sealed the Heart of Sabik away, then try to harness its power for Ascian Stuff and go megalomania-crazy as it dialed his latent desires up to 11.

There's also the serial body-hopping thing, which Emet-Selch previously implied was a corrupting mental influence, IIRC.

Rhonne posted:

I really like that (raid spoiler)we got the option to say "man, do I really have to kick Elidibus' rear end again?" Got a big laugh out of me.

What does he say if you pick that one? I went for one of the less joke-y responses.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Blockhouse posted:

That's making a lot of assumptions, like that Erenville is from Dalmasca to begin with.

As I recall, MOST Viera are from that area. At least originally. If he's talking about going home, and he's worried about it, he's probably going to Lea Monde.

Anyone sensible is going to be worried about going to Lea Monde.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1stGear posted:

I am probably brain poisoned, but a lot of the Pandaemonium finale felt like pushback against the Ascian fuckers. Athena being so far gone that to her even the Ancients are imperfect and therefore deserve to die, along with Lahabrea himself saying "Man, I'm going to do some hosed up and evil poo poo as an Ascian, that's awful."

I think Athena was supposed to be the other side of the coin that Hermes was on.

Like, Hermes was majorly conflicted about his role as the planet's chief eugenicist and took no joy in what he did even when it was demonstrably necessary.
Then you have Athena who is "gently caress yeah, let's roll" and just completely leans into it to the absolute opposite end.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So let me get this right: Elidibus helped us travel to Elpis not in order to help avert the Final Days in the present, but because with his memories restored he now remembered us as the warrior he fought in the past, and realized he had to close the time loop so we could save unsundered Etheirys from an entirely separate apocalypse?

:psyduck: gently caress time travel dude.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Time travel rules.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

So let me get this right: Elidibus helped us travel to Elpis not in order to help avert the Final Days in the present, but because with his memories restored he now remembered us as the warrior he fought in the past, and realized he had to close the time loop so we could save unsundered Etheirys from an entirely separate apocalypse?

Nah, I think it's more Elidibus knew you'd been in Elpis because you'd assisted him back then and therefore knew you could time travel and help out. He didn't foresee Athena's modern bullshit, because he couldn't.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bloody Pom posted:

No he didn't remember, You get your memories back. In EW when he sends us back he literally stops and goes "Wait...what's this vague feeling of memory I have?" before blinking out of existence.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gearhead posted:

As I recall, MOST Viera are from that area. At least originally. If he's talking about going home, and he's worried about it, he's probably going to Lea Monde.

Anyone sensible is going to be worried about going to Lea Monde.

If he's actually a Viera born in the tribal culture then going home is potentially suicidal. Since leaving is effectively no longer being a "Viera" by their cultural standards (Viera actually means people of the woods).

They're hyper isolationist murder hermits/amazons remember (the men are murder hermits, the women live in amazonian murder villages raising children until it is determined if the child is male or female and thus either sent away with the men visiting or stay as part of the village). When a Viera leaves their culture, they're exiled and treated the same as any other non-Viera if they enter the territories. Which is to say potentially killed if they threaten the harmony of the Green Word at all. Most Viera who leave do so by sparing someone who should be killed for trespassing (supposedly).

If he's returning to Golmore/Skatay. He might be going elsewhere, like Meracydia.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my excitement over getting to pilot the g warrior again quickly turned to a deep pit of disappointment as I realized you only got to play a five note rhythm game then watch a cutscene of your character doing cool poo poo. boring.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

derra posted:

Does anyone know wbat bicolor items were added this patch?
UT chair, not sure whether there is anything else

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Raid Talk: I've only seen Athena for one cutscene, but she seems to just be that one guy from the forums' fanfiction version of Venat where she wants to be a goddess for no reason. I doubt it's an intentional dig at that, but it is kind of amusing.

They were definitely going for some kind of parallel between Athena and Venat, regardless of what the intent was behind it. They both have 'mother goddess' as motifs and regard the Ancients as a flawed people which need to evolve to reach their true potential, and have similar enthusiastic and friendly personalities on a superficial level. Plus the character design similarities with their transformed states and eye colors.

Also, if you read her minion description, you find out they're both dog lovers. Uh, so to speak...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Finished the raid series.

My immediate opinion is admittedly tainted by way of my P10 run involving both me and the other healer dying but the tanks--two Warriors--being completely capable of carrying the team to victory anyway, which as you all might be able to realize, put me in a bad mood. But my non-spoiler opinion is... well, it's good to hear others like it, because I didn't.

This is the embodiment of 'fanservice not aimed at me'; in fact, its love of beating the Ancient fanservice drum directly made the story worse for me. Because Anabeisos actually has the exact one thing I desperately wanted from an Ancient story: Athena is the absolute embodiment of the sort of person that could've made me interested in the Ancients, right down to even having the powers I would've given a theoretical 'what if the Ancients are actually hosed up' fanfic character... only for them to instead cram her entire presence into one and a half cutscenes, with every minute of the rest of that story instead devoted to them desperately trying to sell Elidibus and Lahabrea as Good And Tragic Heroes, and cramming in the backstory for a rock that hasn't mattered for a decade and is only relevant here in terms of making Athena less interesting. Even cracked out the goddamn Persona 4 Piano for P11, and I'll tell you right now, that piano does NOT have the same effect if you don't feel that they've earned it.

I feel like if they cut Kokytus and instead gave Athena two boss fights' worth of exposition and opposition--basically, aping Eden's Promise even more than they already were--it would've worked a lot better. BUt then, it still would've had my least favorite element; the fact the story REALLY beats down Lahabrea, and then just... never gives Elidibus anywhere near the same treatment despite him arguably being worse.

PoorWeather posted:

Also, if you read her minion description, you find out they're both dog lovers. Uh, so to speak...

You know, out of any video game developer, I think it's Square-Enix that's allowed to use The One Fullmetal Alchemist Reference.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 24, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Finished the raid series.

My immediate opinion is admittedly tainted by way of my P10 run involving both me and the other healer dying but the tanks--two Warriors--being completely capable of carrying the team to victory anyway, which as you all might be able to realize, put me in a bad mood. But my non-spoiler opinion is... well, it's good to hear others like it, because I didn't.

This is the embodiment of 'fanservice not aimed at me'; in fact, its love of beating the Ancient fanservice drum directly made the story worse for me. Because Anabeisos actually has the exact one thing I desperately wanted from an Ancient story: Athena is the absolute embodiment of the sort of person that could've made me interested in the Ancients, right down to even having the powers I would've given a theoretical 'what if the Ancients are actually hosed up' fanfic character... only for them to instead cram her entire presence into one and a half cutscenes, with every minute of the rest of that story instead devoted to them desperately trying to sell Elidibus and Lahabrea as Good And Tragic Heroes. Even cracked out the goddamn Persona 4 Piano for P11, and I'll tell you right now, that piano does NOT have the same effect if you don't feel that they've earned it.

I feel like if they cut Kokytus and instead gave Athena two boss fights' worth of exposition and opposition--basically, aping Eden's Promise even more than they already were--it would've worked a lot better. BUt then, it still would've had my least favorite element; the fact the story REALLY beats down Lahabrea, and then just... never gives Elidibus anywhere near the same treatment despite him arguably being worse.

You know, out of any video game developer, I think it's Square-Enix that's allowed to use The One Fullmetal Alchemist Reference.

If two warriors were able to 'carry you to victory' on their own then you were almost done the fight anyway.

Also Elidibus was a broken wreck of a person barely able to function and compelled by his role which was originally to save the world. He is like the definition of a tragic hero.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 24, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

If two warriors were able to 'carry you to victory' on their own then you were almost done the fight anyway.

The actual situation was that a single attack (the one that ends in a pushback, if that rings bells) took out both the healers and the only Raise-having DPS when it was at like 30-40%, and the Warriors just tanked and off-healed the entire rest of the fight. The other DPS slowly got picked off over time, I think there was only one left by the end.

It was not quick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The actual situation was that a single attack (the one that ends in a pushback, if that rings bells) took out both the healers and the only Raise-having DPS when it was at like 30-40%, and the Warriors just tanked and off-healed the entire rest of the fight. The other DPS slowly got picked off over time, I think there was only one left by the end.

It was not quick.

So the tanks played well and used their skills and cooldowns properly to eek out a victory and in fact a Paladin probably could have done it both better and easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

:same:

This is, what, the fifth time?

Vitamean posted:

my excitement over getting to pilot the g warrior again quickly turned to a deep pit of disappointment as I realized you only got to play a five note rhythm game then watch a cutscene of your character doing cool poo poo. boring.

I was genuinely stunned that it was literally five notes and then it was over. What was even the point?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 24, 2023