Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ya'll aren't a quarter as funny as you think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm getting really tired of all these half-assed jokes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've got a big rear end, so even off I half rear end something, that's still a lot of rear end.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

QuarkMartial posted:

I've got a big rear end, so even off I half rear end something, that's still a lot of rear end.

You know what they say about big butts

Big poop.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

When those big jets fail they usually do in spectacular fashion. Guy at our field lost radio communication about 20 feet up doing a full speed pass and crashed at ~150mph. Parts everywhere, was pretty impressive.

On the RC topic I flew helicopters for years. A fun thing happens when a blade fails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2q-lO0wArE

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
wrong thread right thread you decide.

I was asked to check out a 5vz toyota trowing ect codes and being really hard to start. I get there and note a coolant leak so friend and i go digging.

Yeah, 2000 model, 240,000 mi. original belt. truck was purchased new.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Note the guy doing a slow jog toward the remains: he figured that half a lope was better than none.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

wrong thread right thread you decide.

I was asked to check out a 5vz toyota trowing ect codes and being really hard to start. I get there and note a coolant leak so friend and i go digging.

Yeah, 2000 model, 240,000 mi. original belt. truck was purchased new.

This definitely loops back around from one to the other. I bet a new belt and assorted bits was all it needed.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The melted looking belt makes me think it was a pulley which failed. The belts generally outlive the pulleys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Usually not for 240,000 miles.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

And people gladly will pay Toyota tax for an old clapped out Toyota where the PO has poo poo like that lurking in the engine bay. 240,000! It's just broken in! :haw:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

BloodBag posted:

And people gladly will pay Toyota tax for an old clapped out Toyota where the PO has poo poo like that lurking in the engine bay. 240,000! It's just broken in! :haw:

Yeah, but while every Toyota engine has its inherent singular major design flaw, most of them are easily remedied at low cost.

The post-1985 22R/RE/RET is known for having a timing chain that lasts about as long as a belt before it wears into a coolant passage, even then the motor will continue to run on coolantshake oil until the chain skips enough teeth for valves to touch pistons. You can usually only tell because the engine overheats like this. If one has this problem but it hasn't discovered what interference means, the solution is to replace the chain, guides, tensioner, timing cover, and fluids, no other repairs are necessary and the majority of failures are due to the stock guides being plastic while replacements are steel-backed. A 22R with steel guides and/or dual row chain conversion (or dual row from factory for pre-1985), will not die until its thrown all four rods through the block.

The v6 from the same era, the 3VZ-E, the ancestor to the 5VZ in those pictures, is prone to headgasket failures. It's my understanding (having not owned a 3wheezy) most of the time you only need to replace the gaskets and gently coax the exhaust crosspipe away from the backs of the heads to fix it and prevent future failures. I think this was corrected when the revised 3VZ-FE came out, but I don't know for sure.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 13, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I recall that the 3S-FE in my '89 camry had a timing gear tension spring that would love to fail and make the engine sound like a diesel from the valvetrain noise. Kinda wish I still had that old shitbox, kinda. It had a really nice interior and it had a cool steering wheel tilt feature I've never seen on another car since.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BloodBag posted:

I recall that the 3S-FE in my '89 camry had a timing gear tension spring that would love to fail and make the engine sound like a diesel from the valvetrain noise. Kinda wish I still had that old shitbox, kinda. It had a really nice interior and it had a cool steering wheel tilt feature I've never seen on another car since.

The 80's Toyota steering column with tilt, memory tilt and telescoping wheel was the greatest thing ever and every time I get into a newer car that is missing those features I get incredibly annoyed. My loving base model, 25 year old Celica had it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

The 80's Toyota steering column with tilt, memory tilt and telescoping wheel was the greatest thing ever and every time I get into a newer car that is missing those features I get incredibly annoyed. My loving base model, 25 year old Celica had it.

Ours was great because not only did it sometimes trap the key in the column until you wiggled the steering wheel a bunch, but every time you got out of the car it would whip itself into the bottom of the gauge binnacle with a super loud BANG.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I got stuck behind this van the other day, yes the window is wood that's been painted black.

It's like a pirate van.

This car belongs to someone in my apartment complex and has been like this since the summer.
both of the power windows seem to have died and gotten stuck so this persons solution was
plastic bags and tape. Not a bad idea in a pinch but come on, it's not that expensive to fix. At the very least
you'd think they could pop the door panels open and manually raise the windows.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Goddamn, I think we all take our automotive knowledge for granted sometimes. I'd just whip the door card off and prop the window assembly up with a block of wood if I was so hard up I couldn't afford a new regulator, FFS. I see so much of this poo poo in the lovely ghetto I live in.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

BloodBag posted:

Goddamn, I think we all take our automotive knowledge for granted sometimes. I'd just whip the door card off and prop the window assembly up with a block of wood if I was so hard up I couldn't afford a new regulator, FFS. I see so much of this poo poo in the lovely ghetto I live in.

Cars are driving appliances with no user servicability, didn't you know that?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BloodBag posted:

Yeah, that would be like giving me a shock of wheat and a live cow & asking me to come up with a cheeseburger. I'm sure I could with the proper tools & the right instruction, but mannnn... mcdonald's is a dollar.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BloodBag posted:

Poor folks have poor ways

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

NoWake posted:

Yeah, that would be like giving me a shock of wheat and a live cow & asking me to come up with a cheeseburger. I'm sure I could with the proper tools & the right instruction, but mannnn... mcdonald's is a dollar.

Yeah, but when you buy the whole animal, beef is only like $1/lb.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah, but when you buy the whole animal, beef is only like $1/lb.

Yeah, but then you have to take the animal out back and Glock it, and all the rest, and...it gets complicated.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, but then you have to take the animal out back and Glock it, and all the rest, and...it gets complicated.

FOOD CHAIN! *BLAM* GET USED TO IT!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NoWake posted:

Yeah, that would be like giving me a shock of wheat and a live cow & asking me to come up with a cheeseburger.

I'd legit like to watch Alton Brown get handed this one.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

MrYenko posted:

I'd legit like to watch Alton Brown get handed this one.

This guy did something similar. Sandwich, not a burger.
https://youtu.be/URvWSsAgtJE

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/jAAKtXD.gifv

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

BloodBag posted:

I know it's crazy, two window regulators for an older Toyota Camry are like $100 online, probably a third of that from a pick and pull. It's one of those things you could watch a youtube video for and learn how to do it. Way better than letting your car get all mildewy and nasty.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Huggable Bear King posted:

I know it's crazy, two window regulators for an older Toyota Camry are like $100 online, probably a third of that from a pick and pull. It's one of those things you could watch a youtube video for and learn how to do it. Way better than letting your car get all mildewy and nasty.

I hate doing interior work because all that poo poo seems so fiddly. I don't know what kind of tools I'm going to need, or what I'm going to break and need more of. Also I'd never know to shop for a "regulator." And if you live in the ghetto and you gotta do the work in your apartment parking lot at 11:30pm knowing you gotta have the poo poo driveable before 7am so you can get to your job at Hardee's....

I remember being poor. It sucks. And you don't get to build a base of experience when your job isn't wrenching and you got no time for a hobby.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

theres a will theres moe posted:

I remember being poor. It sucks. And you don't get to build a base of experience when your job isn't wrenching and you got no time for a hobby.

yup. The guy who parks beside me has had his window half down all winter and I can understand why. Its against condo rules to be working on your car in the parking lot and while it's like a 30 minute job popping a door card out for most of us, alot of these guys are going to need like a half day to figure it out and invariably attract the attention of the dickbag condo board president. Most poo poo I don't even bother doing if the car is drivable because nothing says "come up and rob me" like standing in the parking lot in the evening with a shitload of tools in a box you can just run up and grab.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

You just got to make the box as heavy as possible so once they grab it they're relegated to walking at the fastest.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Oddhair posted:

You just got to make the box as heavy as possible so once they grab it they're relegated to walking at the fastest.

Sometimes you don't need to:
http://ktla.com/2016/11/30/video-shows-man-walk-away-with-1-6-million-in-gold-flakes-from-armored-truck-in-new-york/

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Is there any possible mechanism of failure that would cause a 2001 Passat to eat its right front suspension repeatedly?

I know that 'being a Volkswagen' and 'being an awful driver' are definitely on the table.

E: It was a cracked axle initially, and the replacement either cracked immediately or was cracked from the get-go. After a good axle was finally fit, it made it about five months and then turned up a bent control rod. It's starting to worry me.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 14, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ArcMage posted:

Is there any possible mechanism of failure that would cause a 2001 Passat to eat its right front suspension repeatedly?

I know that 'being a Volkswagen' and 'being an awful driver' are definitely on the table.

When you says suspension, what do you mean?
The LCAs on b5 passats are a common failure point and failure to install them exactly correctly (I want to say you need to do certain things it the car on the ground) leads to even quicker failure.
The car also hates being lowered.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nm posted:

When you says suspension, what do you mean?
The LCAs on b5 passats are a common failure point and failure to install them exactly correctly (I want to say you need to do certain things it the car on the ground) leads to even quicker failure.
The car also hates being lowered.

I edited details in, but, when doing shocks we found a cracked axle, and the replacement axle cracked essentially immediately somehow, and when it was in to have the left front wheel bearing done they discovered a bent control rod.

So probably didn't mean suspension and instead meant 'things associated with right front wheel'. So far as I know it hasn't been lowered.

It also just had the rear axle and right rear hub done after a sweet old lady drove directly into me, but I don't think that adventure resulted in anything else.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

I see 6 lug half-ton axles and tractor tires that probably weigh as much as said axle...per side.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
At least the spectators are a respectable distance back and it even looks like the driver lived! Gonna say it's positive all the way around.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr-Spain posted:

At least the spectators are a respectable distance back and it even looks like the driver lived! Gonna say it's positive all the way around.

He certainly stuck the landing. Full marks from the East German judge.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

DJ Commie posted:

I see 6 lug half-ton axles and tractor tires that probably weigh as much as said axle...per side.

Those would be deuce axles. I'm seriously amazed they didnt do like all other mudtrucks and rip off the chassis.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

Spinal adjustment competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSqf2AztrI

Last one who's able to walk loses.

quoting myself from the youtube thread a while back. There are some real jumps here, not like that little hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

Those would be deuce axles. I'm seriously amazed they didnt do like all other mudtrucks and rip off the chassis.

Yep, that's the big six bolt pattern from 2.5 ton rockwells not the little one from yota and half ton chevy/FSJ axles. He probably snapped the kingpins or knuckles, that happens when you abuse those axles too much.

As for ripping off the chassis... time to find a YouTube video :banjo:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlS7OPkTkU

Description and video are both premium sister-fucker content. I will never understand mud bogging in big hackjob trucks with hackjob lifts a foot taller than they need to be.

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 15, 2017