Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
1 week, but she only cares about having no gap with wages/references. She didn't want to let "the nice manager down", so nice she got her working 28 hour weeks on a 8 hour contract...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Seriously. The 2-week thing is a courtesy. It's not required. Hell, she doesn't even need to give a one week notice.
(One of my coworkers is planning to just leave once he gets a new job, same with like at least 3 of the managers.)

learnincurve posted:

1 week, but she only cares about having no gap with wages/references. She didn't want to let "the nice manager down", so nice she got her working 28 hour weeks on a 8 hour contract...
Gently let her know there are very few actual "nice managers" and that the "nice" ones will still turn on you on a dime so you owe them nothing.

dovetaile fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 13, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had a three-week stint at McDonald's. In the paperwork that new hires filled out, there was a clause by the franchise owner that stated that any employee that resigns without a minimum of two weeks' notice will have their pay reduced to minimum wage, no matter the reason. I quit that job without notice because I had gotten hired to deliver flowers and I felt like giving two weeks of notice was overkill. I'm too much of a nice guy to walk out, so I talked to my shift supervisor about it and she just told me to not bother coming in. Not because she was mad at me, but because she said that I should get the hell out while I can and it wasn't worth it when I hadn't even been working for a month.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In the UK Mcdonalds system the notice period is generally seen as voluntary but if you do work it they give you pay for any unused holiday time you haven't used that year which is usually at least £300-400 extra for actually working your last week.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That sounds like something mandated by law. There ain't a fuckin McDonald's franchisor in the United States that would ever in a hundred million billion years ever pay out unused vacation if they weren't legally obligated to.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PitViper posted:

I've never found a comfortable pair of safety toe shoes, but I work in a service shop and walk around in Red Wing boots for at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, but normally wear them on my off days too. If there's one nearby, go in and get a fit done on one of their actual stitched sole, full leather steel toe boots. I've been wearing the same pair of 2408 boots for 6 years, and I normally just put a new insole in every 6-8 months. They're not cheap ($235 back then, I think $260 now) but if you take care of them they're cheaper than buying cheap safety toe shoes every year. If they'll give you your safety footwear allowance to use elsewhere, absolutely give them a try. Even if they won't, they're worth splurging on.

Don't buy any of the cemented sole import boots. One of my coworkers keeps buying the 3506 composite toe boots, but the sole seems to separate from the uppers right around the ball of the foot. They call it "direct attach" construction vs the welt construction of the made-in-USA work boots.

I haven't tried the safety toe boots, but I've got a pair of Red Wings Beckmans (9062) that are 11 years old. I got them resoled a few months ago for something like 150 bucks, and they look like they're brand new. I fully expect them to last another ten years. I bought them as a Walmart manager on my feet 10-12 hours a day, I still use them daily as a teacher on my feet 8 hours a day. I have a pair of LL Bean boots as well, but the Red Wings are better. Truly a pro purchase

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In Australia it’s mandatory to pay out unused vacation time, regardless of the circumstances of your departure - it’s your money; not the company’s. Even if you get fired for stealing or something you’ll get that money paid out. Also long service leave if you’ve passed 10 years and haven’t used it all. Our vacation days never expire either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

it’s your money; not the company’s.

Lol we’re talking about the United States of America. Until it hits your bank account it is absolutely not yet your money.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol we’re talking about the United States of America. Until it hits your bank account it is absolutely not yet your money.

I was talking about here though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lord Bude posted:

I was talking about here though.

Don't worry, Murdoch will make it true for you soon enough.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Don't worry, Murdoch will make it true for you soon enough.

Not even our right wing party would be stupid enough to touch how Annual leave works. 4 weeks paid vacation and 10 days paid sick pay have been basic workplace entitlements for decades.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The Lord Bude posted:

Not even our right wing party would be stupid enough to touch how Annual leave works. 4 weeks paid vacation and 10 days paid sick pay have been basic workplace entitlements for decades.

The £10 poms are all at retirement age now right?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The £10 poms are all at retirement age now right?

No idea. But in a society where voting is mandatory, there is some poo poo you just can't get away with. The last time the liberals tried to gently caress with Industrial relations, it led to catastrophe for them.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

this isn't retail related, but has anyone been getting an "access denied" message when trying to get to the forums on PC? I don't get it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

this isn't retail related, but has anyone been getting an "access denied" message when trying to get to the forums on PC? I don't get it

The forums are currently being DDOS’d and the countermeasures can sometimes have side effects.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

oh that's weird. I thought it was me because I also haven't been able to upload images either. I drag them from a folder like i always have but it just opens them up in a separate chrome tab, even stuff that I've uploaded in the past. nothing makes sense anymore

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Went to my old job right after work today and I felt like someone who has gone through a messy divorce and is now parading their new flame around. I made sure to be loud while I was talking mad poo poo about wow, I get paid better, especially after being told I was being written up just to be denied a raise! Wow, I was passed over twice for a assistant manager position, and here I get started as a shift leader, complete with my own override code! Whereas I couldn't even get a loving key to unlock the door to do my job when I unloaded the trucks at this place! I get a full 40 hours, every week! Unlike here, where I got at best 37 at the start of the week and would get cut to below 30 for the rest of the month! And my days are consistent, weirdly enough this means I can get into a set schedule which makes it far easier on me to plan things and I know what to expect!

And I saw my old department manager, I know he heard me :flipoff:

E: Oh and today I got paid for my 8 days of training, only 2 of those were full time. And this is not that much shorter than what I would get on the second half of the month when f4l would mutilate my hours.

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 15, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Well we all thought trump would never be stupid enough to X for every single week since 2016, just as we all assumed that the blowback would be enough to end him for whatever it was, up to and including attempting to overthrow the government, poorly, but here we are. Don't rest on your "nah, they'll never try that one, mate" laurels.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What is wrong with this picture?

This Amazon shipment arrived right at 8 am, and the Sunday supervisor said that it's too late and we won't deliver it. So the delivery driver unloaded it outside the dock and drove off.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazon drivers have worked out where the blind spot in the 3 (3!) security cameras are vs the piss poor warehouse management, and have been taking the opportunity to load their cars with crates of alcohol. The Morrison’s management solution is to move all the alcohol in the warehouse so a camera covers it, but not to figure out who is doing the theft. Amazon workers in the store are now super worried because if more high value stuff goes it’s them who will be blamed.

This whole partnership thing is Super Awesome and going well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My shift is 8-4. I usually work till 430, 5 some days. And I am busy from start to finish.

My boss emails me today and says she is pushing me 9-5. Which is loving stupid because most of our order input starts at 8am, not 9am. And are due by noon, not 1pm. We just hired at 12-8 dude so he can cover the later poo poo.

However the newest hire, I get the idea he wanted 8-4 not 9-5. And for some reason bitch manager always gives the new people the easier shifts, the nicer vehicles, and is still amazed when most of them flake out within a year.

I have no idea what she is thinking. But smart lady she is, we had a driver whose van was in the shop today. Instead of getting him a rental van, she told him to drive to another store and use the van there. The van that our 12-8 driver uses. So that driver came in, found all his poo poo out of his work van, left in the store, and was told to get a rental. First dude uses the van until 3, then drops it off at our store, while the noon driver has a rental van.

So our store has 3 vans, plus a rental. No clue if the other driver's van is ready or not.

Edit: spoke with my boss this morning, and I'll be starting 9:00 to 5:00 on monday, she insisted has nothing to do with the new person starting and won't tell me his shift, but did tell me that compared to other drivers my productivity is low. Now this would be cause for concern if I actually chose my route or was regularly having down time, but instead we have an automated system that sent us on route so I literally have no control of how many stops I do in one day. My boss thinks we should be doing 30 to 40 deliveries a day and I'm about 24, but nowhere in there does the productivity show some of my deliveries are about 40 minutes from each other.

In terms of the grand scheme of things, yeah this is a small thing, but man it's just so freaking annoying. Being blamed for things outside your control while your manager sits there and hopes to rake in some bonuses.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 20, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mini passed the first and second stage for new job and is waiting on an email with an official offer, they say it's usually 24 hours contracted + overtime for people of her age because they assume they are at university, but the manager is going to try and get a computer to say yes and give her 38 but there is no guarantee. 24 is better than 8, mostly because in the UK you get sick pay, and getting £80 sick pay for 8 contracted hours when you normally work 27 hours a week is taking the piss.

We were right, someone did fast track her based on previous experience and manually put her though to interview without her having to spend an additional day doing tests.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

effort doesn't require effort, huh?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Getting out of bed requires effort. Putting on clothes requires effort. Commuting requires effort. Pretending to give a gently caress requires effort.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Guy walks up to the drive thru window.

"I want however many biscuits and gravy that 20 dollars will buy"

Gotta say, this job kinda owns. I just listen to music while cleaning stuff and help like 10 to 15 people throughout my shift. I don't feel so loving miserable after each shift. Its now my weekend and holy poo poo its an actual weekend. With like, 2 days. Consecutively. In a row. And not with the caveat of "And in that time I need to flip my schedule 12 hours". I can't remember the last time I drove home rocking out to the radio instead of looking dead ahead and just wishing a semi would jump the divider lane and gently caress me up, cause at least with that I can get a settlement and stop working.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ladies, gentlemen, and others

I got my firm offer from the IRS on Friday. I'll soon be out of the US Postal Service.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Star Man posted:

I got my firm offer from the IRS on Friday. I'll soon be out of the US Postal Service.

Out of the frying pan...

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
May you fare better than the last tax man from these forums.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Preechr posted:

:vince:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Can I write off $10 cookies as a business expense? Asking for a friend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want to apologize to the poor people at McDonalds we just ordered from, because my mom apparently forgets how to order poo poo. In the drive through, where you have loving time to look at pictures, why?

Me In Backseat: Mom, I'd like 4 X sandwiches plain please.

Mom At Orderbox: UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH I need uhhhhhhhh crispy, no, uh, I need a....uh.....UUUUUHHHHH....

About this time I'd like to remind her we literally order the same thing every loving time. And say "please!"

UUUUUH I NEED UUUUUUH.

When I worked at McDonalds, I hoped people knew how lucky they were I didn't have superpowers because as soon as they said that poo poo, I'd blow their head off with laser vision.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had a guy try and choke me through the drive thru window today, your mom sounds like a dream customer in comparison.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, i worked fast casual for a number of years, as long as your mom wasn't verbally or physically assaulting someone, or forcing them to work an extra shift on no notice, it probably didn't register as more than a minor blip

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Congrats. Please continue to post whatever stories you can here (or I guess maybe you graduated to the office thread?).

Preechr posted:

Goddamn lol.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Duckman2008 posted:

Congrats. Please continue to post whatever stories you can here (or I guess maybe you graduated to the office thread?).

Goddamn lol.

Star Man posted:

You know there's a federal jobs thread, right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Once again they need me to run a SmartPac machine because one of them was acting up so badly the person just walked off and went home for the night. Only before they could get my replacement that machine is taken down by maintenance. So for the next hour I basically stood next to a sign saying "Stop using your cellphones" wearing my Learning Ambassador's (trainer's) Hi-Vis vest openly reading a book on my cellphone while on the clock, being a prime example to anyone who could see.

I told my boss "You know if you needed me doing nothing, you could have just left me in Jackpot. On slow days like this that's about all I do." (The station still needs to be staffed or the sorter that runs the building will grind to a halt). At which point he laughed and told me to go to break 10 minutes early. Apparently they called to say the machine was fixed right after I walked away and my manager just laughed: even if he had told me to go pack I would have been working at most 5 minutes before break anyways

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mini has been officially offered a job where her work rate is no longer monitored by Amazon, in an environment where managers from a different company (where people are not tracked) are wilfully refusing to understand this/acting out of deliberate malice and are constantly screaming at them to finish the “additional tasks” they have set them in the few minutes between Amazon orders.

It gets so much worse in the next paragraph.

They are doing actual hard work, it’s basically 4 hours of hiit each day in a store with broken heating on full blast, and they have an area in the back to themselves. Few days ago they found that a non-Amazon manager had gone to where they keep drinks and had thrown everything not in a branded water bottle away, including drinks flasks, because it’s store policy that staff may only drink water outside of the break room.

It’s not even Amazon that’s the problem, like they all keep finding the store managers are scheduling them their paid holidays with no choice or warning whenever they feel like it (yes that’s illegal) and other such petty poo poo, and that’s something when you got the kid looking at all the horror stories, be they real or inflated click bait, about working at the warehouses and her going “that’s not as bad as we have here”

We had the “you only have to work your contracted hours, anything over that is overtime and they can’t make you go in even if it’s within the week’s notice” talk.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress did I get pinkeye when I have been staying away from people and sanitizing and washing my hands nonstop for the past two years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pinkeye is so contagious that there's pretty much nothing you can do to prevent infection if you come into contact with anything an infected person touched