Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Offroad Minivan Update

Asymptotically approaching done, probably.

I took it in for an alignment today. Verdict: too stanced for my camber bolts. I need to get some that are even more camber-er. The shop was able to adjust camber to 0.0, but they should be -0.8. Probably due to the stiffer springs and higher ride height.

I'm also having issues attaching the bottom of the rubber strut boot to the strut. I got the Toyota OEM boot, which is part of the upper strut isolator, and looks like it should attach/clamp/ziptie to the top of the bottom/outer part of the strut body. But it sort of doesn't. Obviously I should embed a pic here, but I forgot to take one. I'll grab a pic when I install the camber bolts.

But the van drives pretty nice now! The greatly increased tire rubbing was mostly caused by my alignment being so hosed up. It's much better now. Also road noise, traction off the line, etc. Basically everything about my alignment was just insanely bad and now it is much better.

e:

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

lite_sleepr posted:

Oh legit.

That's way cheaper than these cleaning kits. I assume you have to work in small sections because water won't stay put on glass in my experience.

Any ol' glass sealer good to use after? Like Stoners or RainX? Do you use any special glass only microfiber towel?

Just to be very, very clear, you use 0000 steel wool, specifically, and not brillo pads or whatever "steel wool" you find.

I use distilled water because I know it's just water, and the time part because you don't wrench on the glass, you firmly press and just go to town. It takes a long time because it goes slowly, but it does work. Expect to spend hours doing this. The plus side is you probably won't have to put in the same effort for many years, if ever again, after.

I had water in a spray bottle and just sprayed, wooled, sprayed liberally constantly to keep it wet.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 3, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It won’t, but try this stuff first:

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com

It’s specifically for cleaning (among other things) glass.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Barkeepers Friend contains "mineral abrasive" and I wouldn't use it on glass I really cared about (like my car windows).

e: The SDS says it's feldspar, which is slightly harder than most glass.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 3, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Huh. Well, I guess I got some bad advice ... good call. Thank you!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ryanrs posted:

Barkeepers Friend contains "mineral abrasive" and I wouldn't use it on glass I really cared about (like my car windows).

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/how-to-clean-windows-with-bkf/

🤷‍♂️

But it is fairly abrasive stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ryanrs posted:

Depends on the size of the grit. All polishes are abrasives and remove a bit of the surface material. How much and how big the resulting scratches are depends on the size of the particles.

That's why you go through a series of grits when finishing a surface.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

That's why you go through a series of grits when finishing a surface.

Yeah, but OP isn't trying to polish glass, they want to remove hard water deposits.

Look, I'm not saying BKF will definitely gently caress up your windows. It probably won't if you are careful. It's only very slightly harder than glass. But I wouldn't use it on my own car.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try one of those magic eraser sponges imo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Regarding steel wool, I'd use it, just make very drat certain you wash any resulting dust ALL THE WAY OFF THE CAR. The last thing you want is a constellation of tiny rust spots on whatever glass, trim, or paint you forgot to clean the steel wool dust off of. It does leave dust behind, unless you get the fancy stainless springy poo poo that looks like lathe turnings instead of a mouse nest.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Try one of those magic eraser sponges imo.

There's an idea. I already have some of those

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I saw that my dad's Ridgeline has a notice on the visor saying "High Rollover Risk". Is there a safety test result that requires that sticker?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

lite_sleepr posted:

There's an idea. I already have some of those

Again be very careful, melamine foam (of which 'magic erasers' are, can easily scratch glass.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Honestly I’d just farm that out to a detail shop. Hard water spots are tough, especially if they’ve etched the glass. I wonder if there’s a coating out there that would fill in the etching instead.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

taqueso posted:

I saw that my dad's Ridgeline has a notice on the visor saying "High Rollover Risk". Is there a safety test result that requires that sticker?
No. It's just a generic liability warning thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think those started popping up in the late 90s or at least after the Ford Explorer rollovers.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Honestly I’d just farm that out to a detail shop. Hard water spots are tough, especially if they’ve etched the glass. I wonder if there’s a coating out there that would fill in the etching instead.

We don't have a detailing shop anywhere in this podunk town. That was my first idea.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There technically is the Static Stability Factor (SSF). This is part of the NHTSA regulations.

The reference most of us in AI would use is the one from the SCCA:

The SEB may use a Static Stability Factor (SSF) for classing new vehicles.
SSF is defined as ½ track width (T) divided by the height of the center of
gravity above the road (H) and can be calculated by the formula SSF=T/2H.
Vehicles with an SSF of less than 1.30 should not be permitted to compete
in Solo® events due to the higher risk of rollover.

I can't find what SSF number equates to a roll-over risk sticker in the NHTSA regs right now.

Edit: I have been chasing a SSF high score with my pickup truck by lowering it and widening the track width so I can compete in CAM-T and local rally-cross, so I have spent a lot of time reading all of the rollover regs and rules.
Center of Gravity above the road is tough to get. No MFG publishes it. So it also has to be calculated:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 3, 2021

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Got some Stoner's Glass Stripper and it helped a *lot*. It'll probably take a few sessions, but I can't be F'd with it now as I already spent 3 hours after work doing it. I can say though it is a marked improvement.

The rest I'm going to hire a mobile detailer. It'll run me about $140, but whatever. Have you ever tried to wash a full size pick up?

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

kastein posted:

Regarding steel wool, I'd use it, just make very drat certain you wash any resulting dust ALL THE WAY OFF THE CAR. The last thing you want is a constellation of tiny rust spots on whatever glass, trim, or paint you forgot to clean the steel wool dust off of. It does leave dust behind, unless you get the fancy stainless springy poo poo that looks like lathe turnings instead of a mouse nest.

If you can find it or order it relatively easily, bronze wool (000 is fine here) will do the same job, but won't cause the rust issues like steel will. Still wash the car though

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Angle grinder with a brass brush might help you speed things up/fast forward to replacing the windows.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Offroad Minivan Update

Made a collar to go around my strut. It's so the 70mm ID rubber boot can clamp to the 50.8mm OD strut.

I tried clamping the rubber directly to the strut, but the rubber is sorta thick and scrunched up in bad ways. These spacers will look much more pro. They attach to the strut with a hose clamp and maybe a little contact cement. They're semi-circles so I don't have to disassemble the strut.

I'm getting them 3D printed in Markforged Onyx (carbon reinforced nylon).

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What is needed in order to make a modified car street legal? Specifically when the engine is upgraded to have > 1000 hp and is very loud. Is it just necessary to keep the noise to a certain level?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

human garbage bag posted:

What is needed in order to make a modified car street legal? Specifically when the engine is upgraded to have > 1000 hp and is very loud. Is it just necessary to keep the noise to a certain level?

I guess it depends on what state you live in and how fussy they are. If it's too loud, you'll get cited by the cops. It wouldn't generally be part of the titling and registration process, unless you have inspections that specifically include that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on where you are and what the regulations are for registering / inspection / emissions.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

I guess it depends on what state you live in and how fussy they are. If it's too loud, you'll get cited by the cops. It wouldn't generally be part of the titling and registration process, unless you have inspections that specifically include that.

So could it actually be illegal to own and operate a non-modified car that just happens to be powerful and loud?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

So could it actually be illegal to own and operate a non-modified car that just happens to be powerful and loud?

Maybe you should ask the legal thread about noise ordinances. Otherwise from the factory, cars are manufactured to be within the law.
Could you be upfront about what you're asking about, please?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Well, mostly likely you could title and register it, but if it makes too much noise the cops will pull you over and issue you a citation.

It has to pass your local/state inspection, if any, and then go through the regular titling/registration process. You'll have to see if it fits all the rules for your state/county.

Once you're registered, you're street legal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, it could not, because every car you can buy must meet the relevant jurisdiction's noise regulations straight from the factory. The only exception is purpose-built race cars which are explicitly sold for track use only but you can't just pick those up at a dealership.

What car are you specifically asking about?

E: I guess another exception would be if you bought the car in a less restrictive place and then imported it to somewhere with more stringent regulations. then it could become illegally loud without being modified. Again, what car is this?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 5, 2021

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
human garbage bag, are you concerned your car might be too fast? Perhaps too furious?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

Maybe you should ask the legal thread about noise ordinances. Otherwise from the factory, cars are manufactured to be within the law.
Could you be upfront about what you're asking about, please?

I'm thinking about buying a powerful and loud car, and taking it on road trips. I'm concerned that it might be illegal for me to drive my car loud and fast through a sleepy rural town as I am on one of my road trips. Is my concern valid?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely. The Sherriff will chase you and you may have to jump a drawbridge to get away.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I'm thinking about buying a powerful and loud car, and taking it on road trips. I'm concerned that it might be illegal for me to drive my car loud and fast through a sleepy rural town as I am on one of my road trips. Is my concern valid?

Yes. Get a Tesla. No sound

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I can't decide if I think you're a neighborhood Karen looking for reasons to call the police on your neighbors or just trolling in a really obvious way

Either way, I hope a vast number of ants take up residence in your sofa cushions

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

May I suggest a Hayabusa?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Next dumb question: turbocharger on a 5.7L Tundra V8?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do you have a particular powerful and loud car in mind?

It'll be a stretch (not impossible, but expensive) to modify any reasonable car over 1000hp. It'll be unpleasant to drive and will love breaking in expensive ways. You can pick up something like a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack from a dealer, and that will make 485hp off the lot. That's a lot more power than most cars on the road, and it comes with a warranty.

The honest answer here is that any vehicle can be quiet if you drive it quiet. Your sleepy rural town will have a 25mph speed limit. If you burble through town at 25mph, your car won't be making a lot of noise and you won't bother anybody.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Do you have a particular powerful and loud car in mind?

An older used Dodge Viper.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Dodge Viper is not illegally loud if it is unmodified. In order to hit a thousand horsepower you could very well require an illegally loud exhaust system.

If you're trying to avoid attention from small town police I think you are maybe choosing the wrong starting point, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

A Dodge Viper is not illegally loud if it is unmodified. In order to hit a thousand horsepower you could very well require an illegally loud exhaust system.

If you're trying to avoid attention from small town police I think you are maybe choosing the wrong starting point, though

I was thinking about modifying the viper to have > 1000 hp and putting silencers on the exhaust so it is not illegally loud. Could that work?