Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lancelot posted:

Yep. Active player's triggers go on the stack first, then non-active player. So the Visions trigger ends up being on top and resolving first (unfortunately for the Dragon player).

If I have bridge from below in my graveyard, and I trade a creature in combat, do I control both triggers, or does my bridge get exiled before I would get a zombie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

End of Life Guy posted:

If I have bridge from below in my graveyard, and I trade a creature in combat, do I control both triggers, or does my bridge get exiled before I would get a zombie?

If you stack the triggers correctly you get the zombie before the bridge gets exiled. Have the exile resolve second (bottom of the stack)

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

End of Life Guy posted:

It's your card that the triggers come from, so you control both of them and get to stack them as you like.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MisterOblivious posted:

Speaking of Pauper... if anybody is in town for GP Minneapolis and scrubs out early Pauper starts at 5pm at Universe games which is 2.2 miles from the convention center. Loaner decks are on hand.
Walk
Bus
Public bike-share
We had a whopping four people at FNM last night. It was kinda funny and hey, I went undefeated for two packs and two goblin warchiefs! :woop:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Oraculum Animi posted:

I pulled the trigger and bought a playset of Goblin Guide. I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if I wanted to play burn but I somehow ended up trading in some of my infect for the deck and without Goblin Guide being reprinted I figured now was the best time.

That's basically what happened to me before states. It ended up being the best decision I made for playing Modern. Despite what many in this thread will tell you, I think burn is a great choice in the current meta.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Wanna know how to get 10 gp top 8 in 4 years? Cheat.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/fabrizio-anteri-disqualified-grand-prix-manchester-2016-05-28

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Judges finally picking up on the double nickel, or was this something more blatant?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Jabor posted:

Judges finally picking up on the double nickel, or was this something more blatant?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
So basically he's land weaving and "'does it without thinking" while knowing it creates advantage

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I've seen a handful of people who do this along with the pile BS who claim they do this because it gives them "better shuffles" while simultaneously claiming it doesn't give them an advantage. No, I don't know how you can claim something gives you better anything but isn't an advantage in the same loving breath.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

That's basically what happened to me before states. It ended up being the best decision I made for playing Modern. Despite what many in this thread will tell you, I think burn is a great choice in the current meta.

It's gotta be better than mono black infect! I bought my Inquisitions when they were 5 each and Inkmoths when they were 10. It felt good that I was trading them in for 75% of their value which is more than I paid for them.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Anteri is the leader in the Grand Prix Master standings now, leader at the end of the season gets an invite to worlds. His Facebook post is an admission that he does this regularly, so possible ban for him on the way?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

Anteri is the leader in the Grand Prix Master standings now, leader at the end of the season gets an invite to worlds. His Facebook post is an admission that he does this regularly, so possible ban for him on the way?

It depends on what he said to the Judges and what he writes in his statement.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

How well-versed are judges on shuffling cheats? I would hate to try and convince a judge that some pile shuffle trickery is cheating during the middle of a match.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is comedic gold.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Anterior Motive
Sorcery
2BU

Search your library for one of each colour of basic land and place them in your hand. Shuffle your library. Thoroughly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Like I've said before, I think Wotc should in general do more about Proper Shuffling Awareness. A lot of people (talking on the FNM level, but apparently not limited to) pile shuffle to mana weave w/o understanding that their justification is inherently tantamount to cheating.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm sure he was just mana-weaving for fun and OCD purposes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

I would think so. I would assume a lot of these consistent GP performers are doing something in the early rounds to get an edge on the weaker opponents and simply aren't getting caught.

Was playing some competitive rel modern last week and someone attempted to counter my slaughter games. So i asked him if he knew what slaughter games does and he replied "I was just making sure you did too". I called a judge and had him repeat it. Judge wouldn't even give him a warning despite my opponent admitting he was trying to cheat because cannot be countered isn't' a trigger. It was the finals and he was a regular, so I am definitely never going back to that place again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FS had some beautiful cards

I didn't initially see it. (not regarding the art, in case anyone's confused)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Ate you talking about the cycling / madness interaction or is there some more clever trick that isn't as obvious?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Ate you talking about the cycling / madness interaction or is there some more clever trick that isn't as obvious?

Just that.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Yeah that and Kavu Primarch are some of the better examples of mix-and-match cards, but a lot of them were just random mashups

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sickening posted:

I would think so. I would assume a lot of these consistent GP performers are doing something in the early rounds to get an edge on the weaker opponents and simply aren't getting caught.

Was playing some competitive rel modern last week and someone attempted to counter my slaughter games. So i asked him if he knew what slaughter games does and he replied "I was just making sure you did too". I called a judge and had him repeat it. Judge wouldn't even give him a warning despite my opponent admitting he was trying to cheat because cannot be countered isn't' a trigger. It was the finals and he was a regular, so I am definitely never going back to that place again.

uh just let him resolve the counter spell? He's down a card for no reason. Can't be countered doesn't mean the spell has hexproof from spells or something.

edit: in fact I have in the past let people resolve a remand on a spell like that, let them draw the card then say "slaughter games resolves?" Prompting confusion or chagrin.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Future Sight and Time Spiral block in general was full of cute poo poo like that which is cool and great if you're an experienced player who can pick up on all the interactions really easily. But man, imagine your first ever draft being Time Spiral block.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

uh just let him resolve the counter spell? He's down a card for no reason. Can't be countered doesn't mean the spell has hexproof from spells or something.

edit: in fact I have in the past let people resolve a remand on a spell like that, let them draw the card then say "slaughter games resolves?" Prompting confusion or chagrin.

It wasn't that I didn't want him to cast a counter or cared, but he was blatantly trying to see if I would forget if the spell can't be countered. Its the same level as trying to doom blade an island to see if your opponent knows you can't do that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Entropic posted:

But man, imagine your first ever draft being Time Spiral block.

That was me. I won the draft.

The only advice I had coming in to the draft was that sprout swarm is insane. Then I opened and got passed a ton of sprout swarms for some unfathomable reason.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 28, 2016

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mr. Peepers posted:

How well-versed are judges on shuffling cheats? I would hate to try and convince a judge that some pile shuffle trickery is cheating during the middle of a match.

Any judge with a small amount of experience will have seen this exact situation many times.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

It wasn't that I didn't want him to cast a counter or cared, but he was blatantly trying to see if I would forget if the spell can't be countered. Its the same level as trying to doom blade an island to see if your opponent knows you can't do that.

The point is that if it was an angle shoot it's riskier than most because you can let it resolve and then he's down a card for nothing

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I think you're implying that if you forgot it was uncounterable and didn't mention it, it would have been countered and the game would move on? That would be a gameplay error and him knowingly allowing it to pass over is clear cheating. That's the point the judge should be called over.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The point is that if it was an angle shoot it's riskier than most because you can let it resolve and then he's down a card for nothing

The very act of trying to angle shoot by trying to counter an uncounterable spell is blatant attempt to cheat unless you forgot or aren't familiar with the card. In this case my opponent was neither and openly admitted it.

And it appears shops in my area are openly advertising EM for 270 bucks. Gross. I doubt average ev is even going to be close to that week 1.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think you're implying that if you forgot it was uncounterable and didn't mention it, it would have been countered and the game would move on? That would be a gameplay error and him knowingly allowing it to pass over is clear cheating. That's the point the judge should be called over.

Exactly. That is why I called the judge. He openly admited he was hoping I would forget the card was uncountable so it wouldn't resolve.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 28, 2016

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
To play devil's advocate, attempting to counter Slaughter Games is a legal game action, albeit a misguided one. It's possible that what he said to you did break the rules, but arguably if the spell is not countered then no rules violation has taken place.

But more to the point, did you let him take the counter back or not?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

The very act of trying to angle shoot by trying to counter an uncounterable spell is blatant attempt to cheat unless you forgot or aren't familiar with the card. In this case my opponent was neither and openly admitted it.

And it appears shops in my area are openly advertising EM for 270 bucks. Gross. I doubt average ev is even going to be close to that week 1.

Exactly. That is why I called the judge. He openly admited he was hoping I would forget the card was uncountable so it wouldn't resolve.

Targeting a spell that has the rules text "(this) can't be countered" is perfectly legal. The only thing Remand cares about is whether it's targeting a spell, and until it goes to resolve no illegal action has occurred. I remember using Remand on an uncounter-able spell to bait out a counterspell and/or cycle it. There are legitimate reasons to target a spell that can't be countered.

If someone lets a counterspell resolve and the uncounter-able spell is put into the graveyard without resolving, then an infraction has occurred. If the counterspell-playing player notices and doesn't say anything, then they're cheating.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

It's not at all the same, 'cause he can do that. Slaughter Games is a perfectly legal target for any counterspell.

You can't get someone DQ'd for making legal but bad plays.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's a difference between making a bad play and making a bad play and then announcing that you were planning on cheating.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

There's a difference between making a bad play and making a bad play and then announcing that you were planning on cheating.

If he literally said "I just wanted to see if you knew" I'd honestly just take that as an attempt at a joke or saving face.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

It's not at all the same, 'cause he can do that. Slaughter Games is a perfectly legal target for any counterspell.

You can't get someone DQ'd for making legal but bad plays.

His point isn't that the opponent made a bad play, it's that the player vocalized his intentionion to allow an illegal action to happen if Sickening wasn't paying attention.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I have a feeling that this might not be a popular opinion but I don't think this is cheating and I don't think he should've been DQ'd. Unless he was mana weaving and immediately handing over his deck which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case, it sounds like what he was doing was within the bounds.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I have a feeling that this might not be a popular opinion but I don't think this is cheating and I don't think he should've been DQ'd. Unless he was mana weaving and immediately handing over his deck which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case, it sounds like what he was doing was within the bounds.

I'm his Facebook blurb, he stated that after including his mana and adjusting his main deck configuration, he felt it was a large advantage if he didn't shuffle. That sounds like mana weaving to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

You're right. An entire vintage archetype is built on a lie.

This, but for the statement "Mishra's Workshop is playable"

• Locked thread