Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lambert posted:

Probably not feasible in real-world application. Best to build out high-speed rail using established technology instead of pining for some extremely expensive pie-in-the-sky technology with severe usage limitations.

One huge advantage high-speed rail has is that it can serve multiple purposes: Tracks can be used to run regional transit with more stops, and can be utilized for freight. This was a big consideration in the financing of the high speed line between Munich and Berlin that opened at the end of 2017: The fact it could be used to run freight as well. High speed rail can also integrate seamlessly with existing railway infrastructure.

These considerations are the reason why Maglev is a dead-end technology as well.

My big argument with California's failed attempt at HSR was choosing a route that no one cared about instead of incremental improvements for the San Diego->Los Angeles->Santa Barbara->Salinas->San Jose->San Francisco route that was already there.

Give me a Thales level of service (120 to 140 mph average) and I'd never fly to get to San Francisco again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fly Molo posted:

Dude, they knowingly put perforated batteries in cars where you can’t open the doors if your battery lights on fire. Then SWAT’d the dude who blew the whistle, and turned off their system for tracking parts so no one could blow the whistle again.

Mate we haven't even gotten warm with the fuckups and wrongs of the car industry. That was literally what I pulled out of my head in five minutes with doing a seconds worth of checking - Tesla aint anything special, you really think GM or Ford don't go nuclear on whistlebowers? Or deliberately and knowingly install electrical systems that shutdown and lock people in cars then furiously cover it up - or even worse in GM's case the cylinder lock jammed the steering on freeways so the driver basically had no chance to steer? It's an industry that is dragged kicking and screaming to make cars that didnt impale you through the chest or turn large suburban areas into airborne chemical swamps. Or how about cars that can have their braking and steering system tampered with via the infotainment? Tesla are barely a drat speed bump in the long long long line of car industry shitbaggery, they are in no way uniquely awful. Yeah sure people here don't want to hear that because it goes against the narrative but come on. Have a dig and just read about the long history just how loving bad the industry really is - for fucks sake even today right now they are balls deep in oil and gas lobbies trying to utterly gently caress us all with climate change. Do you think they don't spend millions trying to buy laws that favor themselves and dilute proposed standards? Hell, why doesnt the USA have decent public transport? One good reason is the Big Three have been lobbying hard against it for years

And this is an industry people are trusting to bring out Autonomous cars????? gently caress no, this is an industry you should trust about as far as you can drop kick an F-150.

I was about to say the Japanese are better but then I remembered in 2000 Mitsubitshi got caught covering up safety defects

quote:

Mitsubishi Motors’ propensity for trouble, current and former employees say, is partly the result of an insular corporate culture that never fully absorbed the lessons of its last major scandal back in the early 2000s. The company covered up safety problems and ignored customer complaints that resulted in unsafe vehicles being left on the road to avoid the embarrassment and costs of recalls.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/05/19/business/corporate-business/mitsubishi-motors-scandal-accident-waiting-happen/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2016/04/22/editorials/mitsubishi-motors-cheating-scandal/

And yes those defects did kill car occupants.

So yeah I'm not going to single out Tesla as being uniquely awful - they have a long way to go for that. I'd say it's far more just another exclaimation point on a very long line of reasons the car industry has been a blight

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Mate we haven't even gotten warm with the fuckups and wrongs of the car industry. That was literally what I pulled out of my head in five minutes with doing a seconds worth of checking - Tesla aint anything special, you really think GM or Ford don't go nuclear on whistlebowers? Or deliberately and knowingly install electrical systems that shutdown and lock people in cars then furiously cover it up - or even worse in GM's case the cylinder lock jammed the steering on freeways so the driver basically had no chance to steer? It's an industry that is dragged kicking and screaming to make cars that didnt impale you through the chest or turn large suburban areas into airborne chemical swamps. Or how about cars that can have their braking and steering system tampered with via the infotainment? Tesla are barely a drat speed bump in the long long long line of car industry shitbaggery, they are in no way uniquely awful. Yeah sure people here don't want to hear that because it goes against the narrative but come on. Have a dig and just read about the long history just how loving bad the industry really is - for fucks sake even today right now they are balls deep in oil and gas lobbies trying to utterly gently caress us all with climate change. Do you think they don't spend millions trying to buy laws that favor themselves and dilute proposed standards? Hell, why doesnt the USA have decent public transport? One good reason is the Big Three have been lobbying hard against it for years

And this is an industry people are trusting to bring out Autonomous cars????? gently caress no, this is an industry you should trust about as far as you can drop kick an F-150.

I was about to say the Japanese are better but then I remembered in 2000 Mitsubitshi got caught covering up safety defects

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/05/19/business/corporate-business/mitsubishi-motors-scandal-accident-waiting-happen/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2016/04/22/editorials/mitsubishi-motors-cheating-scandal/

And yes those defects did kill car occupants.

So yeah I'm not going to single out Tesla as being uniquely awful - they have a long way to go for that. I'd say it's far more just another exclaimation point on a very long line of reasons the car industry has been a blight

If you think any of those are on the level of what’s Tesla’s been up to for years, you’re profoundly ignorant and need to educate yourself. Whataboutism doesn’t change the numerous stupid ways Tesla has been killing people, and is continuing to kill people on a daily basis.

Their cars light on fire then the doors don’t work. They decapitate people because they mistake 18-wheelers for overpasses. They slam into fire trucks and jersey barriers again and again and again.

Like someone else said last page, they were responsible for 75% of all workplace injuries in the US automotive industry last year. And that’s after committing tons of fraud to lie about the number of workplace injuries. They tripled the injury rate of all those companies you just listed, combined, while making far, far fewer cars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I’ve had breakdowns dozens of times in the forty years I’ve been driving. Therefore it’s not unusual that the Tesla I drove off the lot didn’t make it home.”

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What about at a 10x multiple of current traveling speed of maglev above ground or non vacuum

Sorry, who's promising 2670 mph trains?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So what would you have the world do to tesla? Whats the solution to goon moans about a goon who hit billionaire

Use regulatory pressure and massive, crippling fines to force them to obey health and safety laws, naturally.

Start by revoking their tax incentives and making them ineligible for further ones for x years based on number of OSHA and wage/hour violations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/markdubya/status/1151645891964604416

https://twitter.com/markdubya/status/1151646176195895298

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's a non zerochance that a lucky customer will get a negative number and therefore get money just like with Hatreon, the nazi patreon.

(and hopefully they cash out and Uber doesnt use its legal muscle to get the money back)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I see Uber finally figured out how to reach profitablity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Use regulatory pressure and massive, crippling fines to force them to obey health and safety laws, naturally.

Start by revoking their tax incentives and making them ineligible for further ones for x years based on number of OSHA and wage/hour violations.

Then pierce the corporate veil and hold Musk personally responsible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Solkanar512 posted:

Musk and the board, yes.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Solkanar512 posted:

I mean we might see him held personally responsible for piercing some skulls and the thereafter likely crippling/death of his volunteers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

That’s why you don’t link a debit/checking card to anything. At least with credit cards you have better protection and you aren’t hosed if you needed cash the next day for a cash payment.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Hatreon, the nazi patreon.

I thought this was a clever joke but that was a real loving thing :psyduck:? I'm not surprised there was a Nazi patreon but that name is literally the most edgelord 12 year old name I've ever seen.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Don Gato posted:

I thought this was a clever joke but that was a real loving thing :psyduck:? I'm not surprised there was a Nazi patreon but that name is literally the most edgelord 12 year old name I've ever seen.

Iirc it was so poorly programmed that you could enter a negative donation amount and the site would actually give you money.

Nazis aren't too bright.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

aware of dog posted:

Iirc it was so poorly programmed that you could enter a negative donation amount and the site would actually give you money.

Nazis aren't too bright.

I thought it was an overflow thing where you entered a number so huge that it came back down to -$0.01 or something. If it was actually that entering a negative number would get you that as a credit, loving lol.

Also, Nazis are really loving dumb.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So apparently there is now a "techlash", aka tech backlash, brewing in the US. The big tech companies were just grilled in Congress, apparently this forced Google to state that they've definitely buried the idea of expanding to China for good and Facebook to promise to keep their stupid Libra thing in tighter control.

(Imagine being "head of blockchain at Facebook", holy poo poo. Stupid nerd bullshit which is also amoral in multiple ways? Well the guy is apparently some investment banker, so, yeah.)

The Financial Times writes in its editorial (paywall) that antitrust against big tech could be just what's needed, rather than only billion-dollar fines. "Criminal sanctions for top executives, perhaps including jail time, may ultimately be necessary to achieve genuine changes in conduct."

It's an interesting mood.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the ultimate punks, n-D chess distruptuion with so many D that they distrupt/kill themseleves.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jaete posted:

So apparently there is now a "techlash", aka tech backlash, brewing in the US. The big tech companies were just grilled in Congress, apparently this forced Google to state that they've definitely buried the idea of expanding to China for good and Facebook to promise to keep their stupid Libra thing in tighter control.

(Imagine being "head of blockchain at Facebook", holy poo poo. Stupid nerd bullshit which is also amoral in multiple ways? Well the guy is apparently some investment banker, so, yeah.)

The Financial Times writes in its editorial (paywall) that antitrust against big tech could be just what's needed, rather than only billion-dollar fines. "Criminal sanctions for top executives, perhaps including jail time, may ultimately be necessary to achieve genuine changes in conduct."

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a much larger correction against the tech industry and tech in general.

Much of what's being developed now has no legitimate, moral use no matter how you slice it, and it needs to be nipped in the bud sooner rather than later.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jaete posted:

They should fine them and then break them up. Best of both worlds.

Whatever Facebook/Google promised its 100% guaranteed empty.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ripoff posted:

I thought it was an overflow thing where you entered a number so huge that it came back down to -$0.01 or something. If it was actually that entering a negative number would get you that as a credit, loving lol.

Also, Nazis are really loving dumb.

Entering a negative would withdraw that amount from the funds raised, but I don't think it would actually give you that money.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

This is what, the fifth time Google has said they've canceled the Chinese version? I'm sure they mean it this time.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
So the thing they totally weren't working on now is dead for the moment.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/RealBankReform/status/1151541426179756032

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:aaa:

How the gently caress do you not know what scrip is. I mean sure, Canadian Tire money is pretty rare in the States, but come on.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

How the gently caress do you not know what scrip is.

this is the outcome of people enshrining STEM/business education as the highest and best knowledge to have, and remaining completely ignorant of human society in this or any timeframe

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Mister Facetious posted:

:aaa:

How the gently caress do you not know what scrip is. I mean sure, Canadian Tire money is pretty rare in the States, but come on.

I think it's a lot more likely he's just lying about not knowing the name.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Just that first answer says he's obviously lying his rear end off.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The fact that none of these tech overlords allow their kids to use their own companies' tech, and also send them to expensive private schools that specifically are low-tech, is proof that these people know what they're doing is actively harmful and immoral.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
alternatively, rich people love goofy woo trends

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The fact that none of these tech overlords allow their kids to use their own companies' tech, and also send them to expensive private schools that specifically are low-tech, is proof that these people know what they're doing is actively harmful and immoral.

Do "none" of them do that or is that a wacky Urban legend about literally every product in the last 100 years.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

luxury handset posted:

alternatively, rich people love goofy woo trends

This

Nazi Jack starves himself to feel alive

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pairofdimes posted:

I think it's a lot more likely he's just lying about not knowing the name.

You say that, but when Uber thinks reinventing poo poo thats existed for decades like "the bus" is new and disruptive, it makes me genuinely wonder if any of these people were awake for history classes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 20, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

You say that, but when Uber thinks reinventing poo poo thats existed for decades like "the bus" is new and disruptive, it makes me genuinely wonder if any of these people were awake for history classes.

someone should post the quote from some SV exec who was arguing its better to never learn history and just repeat the mistakes but “fail faster”

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Reinventing stuff that already exists is silicon valleys mo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Getting hyperbolicly angry about incremental improvement because it was already good enough when you were a kid is old man mo.

Buses existed for a hundred years. People keep making new buses and it's fine and nothing to worry about

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Getting hyperbolicly angry about incremental improvement because it was already good enough when you were a kid is old man mo.

Buses existed for a hundred years. People keep making new buses and it's fine and nothing to worry about

New stuff is only better if it's actually an improvement over the old stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fly Molo posted:

New stuff is only better if it's actually an improvement over the old stuff.

What concern do you have if someone used a bus you don't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What concern do you have if someone used a bus you don't like?

Somebody lobbying against paying taxes, gutting public bus services, then setting up private buses only for their workforce. Or the same, but with no handicap access.