Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ace of Baes posted:

Get his email and I will.

isaac@politico.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
jfc i cant believe the clinton campaign hosed up the downtickets so badly

to me it smacks of factionalism, not for the sake of policy, but to solidify patronage networks

yeh, even in a hypothetical world where the dems could make up those 100000 voters in the midwest, the clinton admin would have been completely loving useless

at least in this hosed up world its easy to oppose trump and use him as a wedge in the republican base, his honeymoon period wont last long

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Democrats honestly deserve to be outlawed by Trump. Then we can rid ourselves of the illusion that we live in anything other than a one party dictatorship of capital led by the epitome of capitalist avarice himself

What I'm saying is this can be a laboratory experiment for accelerationism vs. we're all boned-ism

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the fastest wayt o accelerate your nonexistence is to decelerate a piece of lead though your cranium

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seriously, tho -- gently caress the national committee. they made their bed, and now they're trying to get out of having to sleep in it?

light them the gently caress up.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

they didn't have to do joint fundraising because one of clinton's greatest strengths was giving money to downticket races, hth

Just wanted to point out this was a good burn.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Democrats honestly deserve to be outlawed by Trump. Then we can rid ourselves of the illusion that we live in anything other than a one party dictatorship of capital led by the epitome of capitalist avarice himself

What I'm saying is this can be a laboratory experiment for accelerationism vs. we're all boned-ism

I'd rather they gum up the works and keep Trump from getting what he wants.

But I'd also like them to do a complete loving 180 in terms of shittiness/uselessness, yes.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

To Be Fair, I'm a Wonk

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, that's pretty much it all right. It sounds unbelievable that the Dems managed to lose the "come off as more compassionate" game to Donald loving Trump, but welp...that Kos piece is kind of how you do it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

tower time posted:

I'll just post this in full from the comments section on bleeding heartland regarding the VAN:

The commentator is Bob Krause, who is kind of a minor Iowa Democratic figure in the state. Other comments i've read/heard from people in Iowa are that while our candidates tend to be poor as hell and receive little funding from either the state/national party, they are required to pay for access to VAN lists. The overall talk is that the data is ineffective compared to what Republicans in the state are working with and charging our own candidates for use of the information is funneling more of their already meagre funding to Des Moines/national DNC coffers. I know some of you give Concerned Citizen poo poo, but I appreciate hearing their thoughts since they have more experience in the day-to-day of it. Something definitely feels very wrong in Iowa even setting aside Clinton - the Iowa Democratic Party always struggled for money, but it used to be very strong at organizing phonebanks and getting people out at the precinct level as a result of caucus organizing. The Republicans have pulled off organizational advantages at the state level that are akin to what Obama did to Mccain in 08'

so i think bob krause is right in some sense, although i don't totally agree with him. he has a legitimate grievance - he's run twice for statewide office on a shoestring budget, and the idp asks for a lot of money to get access to van. my understanding is that successful nominees get access to van for free, but primary candidates have to pay. for districted candidates, this isn't a big deal since it's not that expensive for them and they usually don't really need it. statewide is expensive, though. this is all basically the idp's way of fundraising for its data program and access to the voter file.

krause didn't have access to the stuff general election candidates get since he never got through the primary in his last two runs. so he's got sort of an incomplete view and i think he doesn't realize that what they have access to now is much better than what they had before. handing out access to the raw candidate ids is a security issue, and for a campaign the raw id data is not nearly as useful as the support models that the dnc provides to candidates. primary campaigns most definitely do get individual level voting history, though. so that combined with party registration is enough for those campaigns to do what they need to do. i would not be surprised if the idp would have exported in old ids had krause requested something specific, though. but i think mainly the party wants to avoid giving away the keys to the kingdom to someone who might either deliberately or accidentally make that data accessible to people who shouldn't have it. plus, they just don't need it.

for general elections, candidates are provided some cool stuff from the dnc to help them target - generic partisan id scores, downballot drop off models, turnout models, etc. this is built on top of that old id data along with new polling to keep it fresh, and it can transfer over data from other states if someone is a new resident in iowa. this stuff is really, really valuable - it's tens of thousands of dollars of free modeling and far better than the thing he's asking for. but the dnc (and the idp) really drops the ball in telling candidates how to use this stuff. a lot of these guys are first time candidates, or their staff are 60 year old volunteers just learning to use van. you hand over van access to this guy running for state senate, but he doesn't have a clue how to actually use this stuff. it's just an option on a menu without an explanation. so they come up with their own creative methods of targeting and they're usually a disaster. like, what he mentions (targeting people by their ids in past elections) is a really bad practice. so the party does need to do a better job training staff and candidates on this stuff.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Local candidates shouldn't have to pay for van during the primaries, that's how you get nominees who are owned by whoever the big company in the local area, you end up with lovely local dems who do stuff like like giving the partners who gave them $10 or $15k "business incentives" which translate to giving them huge local tax breaks, which fucks the local revenue, runs smaller businesses out of business because they're now competing with bigger companies who are also getting bonuses from the local city council or mayor, you see similar things with counties or cities selling or leasing land or water rights.

It cuts out working people from governing their own communities and hands them to GOP politicians when it gets bad enough, who proceed to gently caress the community even worse. Also obviously a lot of the time a rich person will just run their own campaign in these places and cut out the middleman, once theyre in office they can feel free to ignore everyone for the most part, because they know the chances of them getting primaried as an incumbent ranges from unlikely to next to impossible, depending on how much influence they have in the local party and how well off they are relative to the area they're living in.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Minnesota uses a voucher program which should be everywhere, people can donate up to $50, fill out a simple form, mail it in, and the state gives them a check for $50 in the mail. No means testing, or application process, and you can donate it to state candidates for legislature, governor, SoS, political parties, etc.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Keith Ellison also introduced a bill to the house a while back which if it were passed (in the future obviously) to provide multiple matching for campaigns under certain circumstances.

"The “Government by the People Act” would provide six-to-one matches for all donations worth less than $150, as long as candidates don’t self-fund, refuse most PAC money and, most importantly, decline donations over $1,000. To encourage more small-dollar donors, individuals could receive up to $25 in tax refunds for giving to campaigns, provided they don’t give more than $300 to a candidate in a cycle."

https://www.minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2014/02/rep-ellisons-big-idea-cleaning-campaign-finance

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

jfc i cant believe the clinton campaign hosed up the downtickets so badly

to me it smacks of factionalism, not for the sake of policy, but to solidify patronage networks

yeh, even in a hypothetical world where the dems could make up those 100000 voters in the midwest, the clinton admin would have been completely loving useless

at least in this hosed up world its easy to oppose trump and use him as a wedge in the republican base, his honeymoon period wont last long
Is he even having a honeymoon period? He might be the first president (in my lifetime at least) without one.

Ace of Baes posted:

I don't know if theres a phrase to describe how badly Clinton hosed up the election, like a much more extreme version of making GBS threads the bed.
The Democratic party autopsy of the Clinton campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1WKCEEnbk8&t=78s

Oh god, thought that quote was from this last page but it was five pages ago.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 13:30 on Dec 29, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
CC does that mean list access is only charged to primary challengers but incumbents get it for free? hosed up if tru

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nichael posted:

Is he even having a honeymoon period? He might be the first president (in my lifetime at least) without one.

I don't think Obama got one? Certainly not for his second term.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Yossarian-22 posted:

Which one was right if we all die in nuclear hellfire?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My reaction to this was that it fuckin ruled, but I am keenly aware that the only reason it felt good for me to read it was the same smug superiority instinct smug/whiny hillarymen have been following

but at least the person I feel better than is rich and privileged

also in the related links was this takedown of Matt Yglesias which basically comes down to a guy getting way too mad about a guy getting way too mad about HRC's email scandal but which I still found enlightening to read.

quote:

He triumphantly concludes, “email server management, rather than any deeper or more profound root cause, was the dominant issue in Donald Trump’s successful rise to power.”

It makes sense that Yglesias should want this narrative to take hold. First, he was a leading proponent of the notion that “economic anxiety” could not possibly explain any facet of Trump’s appeal—he continually complained that the media was unduly focused on trying to find “profound root causes” such as the immiseration of the nation’s manufacturing base to explain why Trump gained the support he did. Attributing Trump’s victory to “email server management” rather than any structural dynamic serves the dual purpose of 1) exonerating Hillary Clinton and 2) vindicating Yglesias’s longstanding theory of the 2016 race.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder how DC apprachnicks explain away all the big campaign blunders made the Hillary such as not realizing the "safe" rust belt states were in play or how the campaign
failed on the messaging side?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the attempt to blame emails is funny because at the heart of it the whole server is a brutal self-own, as Clinton and her team decided to set up the stupid server themselves

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
clinton is a criminal and its a drat shame the rich and powerful have what effectively is a seperate legal system. hillary clinton and her rapist husband should be behind bars if not on death row

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Baloogan posted:

clinton is a criminal and its a drat shame the rich and powerful have what effectively is a seperate legal system. hillary clinton and her rapist husband should be behind bars if not on death row

Pump your brakes, Baloogan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zikan posted:

the attempt to blame emails is funny because at the heart of it the whole server is a brutal self-own, as Clinton and her team decided to set up the stupid server themselves

Imagine if she didn't have private server how it would have made it much easier to run her campaign.

Also lolling at her special treatment since lower ranking peons in the defense industry or military did get into big trouble for sending classified info over private email.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

loquacius posted:

also in the related links was this takedown of Matt Yglesias which basically comes down to a guy getting way too mad about a guy getting way too mad about HRC's email scandal but which I still found enlightening to read.

Does anyone know the size and strength of the Sons of Yglesias?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

etalian posted:

I wonder how DC apprachnicks explain away all the big campaign blunders made the Hillary such as not realizing the "safe" rust belt states were in play or how the campaign

You can go to the election thread in d&d to get a glimpse of this. It's mostly a mix of racistsexism, bernouts, and poor messaging (ie. Everything that absolves the iron abuelas platform of guilt)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You can go to the election thread in d&d to get a glimpse of this. It's mostly a mix of racistsexism, bernouts, and poor messaging (ie. Everything that absolves the iron abuelas platform of guilt)

Not to mention the hilarity of how dems on the ground in rust belt states realized support was swinging towards Trump but got told by the Brooklyn office to fuckoff when they begged for help.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

etalian posted:

Putin

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Such a god tier leader he tricked Hillary into not campaigning for states like Wisconsin.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

this really articulates well why i'm so frustrated that a lot of people blame everything but the campaign and a lovely attitude towards large sections of the voter base

has anybody ever anywhere been called a shithead and gone "man. you're right. i should be onboard with you. i am a racist shithead."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Office Surprise Store posted:

this really articulates well why i'm so frustrated that a lot of people blame everything but the campaign and a lovely attitude towards large sections of the voter base

has anybody ever anywhere been called a shithead and gone "man. you're right. i should be onboard with you. i am a racist shithead."

Remember Hillary's great deplorable comment and how her supporters attacked Bernie for how he took a more sympathetic view on Trump's supporters?

Looking down on the other side is never a productive mindset especially Hill folk chuckling over coal miners dying, "They got what they deserved!"

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

I prefer my made up word, racogynist.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Playstation 4 posted:

I prefer my made up word, racogynist.

transracogynisphobia

etalian posted:

Remember Hillary's great deplorable comment and how her supporters attacked Bernie for how he took a more sympathetic view on Trump's supporters?

It's Her Turn

just that phrase alone

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
If we wanna go that far, Tracogynist works.

Or the older term, shithead.

Bernie could have won.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This is like the funny/good version of that SA front page article.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I peeked in for a little bit, but had to stop after suffering through multiple pages of the one guy who still has an unironic Hillary avatar steering the conversation toward "the word 'neoliberal' is actually completely meaningless" with fifty posts an hour, because it was excruciating

It was basically "what even IS a hipster anyway, the word doesn't mean anything anymore *sips latte, strokes moustache, lovingly pets MBP*" but even more obnoxious

Office Surprise Store posted:

:siren:tone argument tone argument:siren:

it's the Bad Opinion Lockup for you pal :toughguy:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

lmao

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

loquacius posted:

I peeked in for a little bit, but had to stop after suffering through multiple pages of the one guy who still has an unironic Hillary avatar steering the conversation toward "the word 'neoliberal' is actually completely meaningless" with fifty posts an hour, because it was excruciating

These transparent attempts at language control always bug me.

"don't use the word establishment, there is no 'establishment'! Now let me falsely attribute several bogus uses of the word to you."
"don't use the word neoliberal, neoliberal has just become a generic insult! Now let me falsely attribute several bogus uses of the word to you."

Makes conversation a lot more difficult when you're not actually allowed to use names for the groups opposing you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

etalian posted:

RUSSIA HACKED THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN AI AND TURNED IT INTO AN IDIOT YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST AT NEOLIBERINFOWARS.COM

Slightly more seriously, my whole thing is that I don't want to see things like Russia's interference and (much more importantly) voter suppression efforts dismissed as OH YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO ABSOLVE HILLARY. One of the many many consequences of the Clinton Campaign Follies is that it makes it more difficult to meaningfully discuss the other ways in which our general electoral process was (and will likely continue to be) hosed up, and those other problems aren't exactly going away in 2018/2020.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

good way of viewing russian interference: russia hacked into things like e-mail servers so we have to protect against it, including training people so they don't get brutally owned like john podesta

bad way: because russia donald trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zikan posted:

good way of viewing russian interference: russia hacked into things like e-mail servers so we have to protect against it, including training people so they don't get brutally owned like john podesta

bad way: because russia donald trump

Another possible lesson: "hey maybe don't be corrupt as gently caress so that even if your emails DO get hacked your opposition will gain nothing from it"

• Locked thread