Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

C-Euro posted:

Does posting count as a hobby

in my case yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also people do not explore and party that much once they break like 26 years old, maybe one day a week you go out for a good dinner and go see some poo poo and unwind a bit but most of the rest of the time you're doing work or sleeping

:hf: boring adult goons

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The real question is how you're going to get high and watch old horror films in a hotel room.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

The real question is how you're going to get high and watch old horror films in a hotel room.

Pretty easy to do in legal states

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lowly posted:

brought to us by a random assortment of employees known as "The Culture Club."
great now I have "do you really want to hurt me" stuck in my head

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah the ruling used the term "portal-to-portal" iirc (I didn't go back and read it) and if the work area is separated by a door from the "get invasively searched so you aren't fired" area or the "dress up in PPE so you can work and not get fired" area technically that's not considered time on the clock if the boss doesn't want to consider it such. It was originally something that somewhat favored the worker because rear end in a top hat bosses wouldn't pay you for the time you took between clocking in at the door and getting to your station (I think this is where some places like call centers got the term 'walk time' so they could monitor the amount of time between you clocking in and you logging in at your desk). So they did what any soulless vampire would do: violate the hell out of the spirit of the reg while remaining clear of violating the literal textual interpretation by making you do all that prep work in a separate area that they can then argue is really no different from a breakroom and gee willikers yeronner we caint jes' pay the hailp fer takin' breaks that would be downrot unfair!

Sydin posted:

Amazon won that one. I remember because SCOTUS ruled 9-0 on it which I thought was really weird, and Kagan wrote a concurrence which was more or less "this is abject bullshit but it's legal bullshit so we can't really do anything about it, please fix this poo poo Congress."

If you read that link it provides the full history behind the ruling. The tldr is that the Supreme Court ruled that all varieties of this kind of BS were illegal. Congress then passed a law specifically to make some forms of unpaid mandatory work legal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a meeting with my boss today and mentioned our salespeople going around me to print inaccurate labels after I told them not to. His only response was "save any and all emails where people are overriding you on this issue". At least he and I can agree on that!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in my case yes

Oh good, it's not just me then.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm at an onsite training in new jersey and aside from doing some ultra basic troubleshooting to get our equipment online (by calling our client's network department and moving an ethernet cord to a different port in a router) there is literally nothing here I'm needed for. I guess the lady I'm working with can appreciate that I flew all the way out here to let her borrow this USB barcode scanner I brought.

Like, there's a separate install in this building like 400 feet away that's been here for over a year. I'm here to train the client and their customers. They all know how to use the stuff already.

They originally wanted a 3 day training of a Fri/Mon/Tuesday. I just don't get it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Someone told me I should be a HR professional. I've never been so offended in my entire life.

I met with someone recently who called herself the Director of People Operations. Much nicer.

I've also ended an interview process after the hiring manager called people "resources" twice in the initial call. Yeah, thanks for your time buddy.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Internal company email I received: "A message from [CEO name]: Share your thoughts about "How we work" "

me: this is a trap. :moments:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Now that the life or death situation is resolved, let’s have endless meetings on how we can improve next time give credit to people who weren’t involved.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Here friends this was going around artist Twitter but it helps for these computer office jobs too

https://twitter.com/BrandonHyde/status/1046526065332678657

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I sift through quite the mound of poo poo as a software developer, but I don't think those exercises are going to fix the real issues: The place and people are a pain in the rear end.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I sift through quite the mound of poo poo as a software developer, but I don't think those exercises are going to fix the real issues: The place and people are a pain in the rear end.

A while ago there was a photo on how to deal with that as well, but people misunderstood it. Nowadays it's mostly been reduced to people referencing it and saying "no ring."

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Edit

ARCDad fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 5, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

momtartin posted:

Today my boss bitched at me because, after I went through and MANUALLY updated targeting codes for 400+ sites, in an excel sheet (which I've been asking for since I got there in May), I left the cells too wide and didn't have the right font.

Yesterday she complained because I hadn't uploaded all of the 2k different targeting options into the server that were missing. Despite the fact that I was the one to ID they were missing, and was the one to figure out how to upload 1k at a time, and then figure out which sites were missing targeting information. It's only taken me 2 weeks to get all this information together with 0 help.

Then I found out that vacation is use it or lose it. It doesn't roll over.

Is 6 months in too early to ask for a raise? That's the next best alternative to me getting a new job at this point.

Always be job hunting.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Starting to burn out ...

I made the mistake of moving from a support function (Quality) to a value add function (Engineering) at a Fortune 100 tech company...and man is it demoralizing to realize that Im on the same salary track except now my rear end is consistently under fire to deliver, deliver, deliver as opposed to just working 4-month to 12-month process improvement projects that could very well actually make no tangible difference in the world, and the "exceeds" ranking was defined as "people like you"

I used to say things like the primary goal of having a corporate job is to extract as much money as possible for as little work as possible, so why did I do the opposite????

End rant, I'm actually really happy I made the move, but I think I need to learn to dial back how much I care...

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 5, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

momtartin posted:

Today my boss bitched at me because, after I went through and MANUALLY updated targeting codes for 400+ sites, in an excel sheet (which I've been asking for since I got there in May), I left the cells too wide and didn't have the right font.

Yesterday she complained because I hadn't uploaded all of the 2k different targeting options into the server that were missing. Despite the fact that I was the one to ID they were missing, and was the one to figure out how to upload 1k at a time, and then figure out which sites were missing targeting information. It's only taken me 2 weeks to get all this information together with 0 help.

Then I found out that vacation is use it or lose it. It doesn't roll over.

Is 6 months in too early to ask for a raise? That's the next best alternative to me getting a new job at this point.
You’re not getting a raise six months in.

Start searching.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Vegetable posted:

You’re not getting a raise six months in.

Start searching.

I've been hunting for 3 months :(
Just trying to figure out a 2nd best alternative

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Kill your boss, bathe in their blood, wrap yourself in their entrails. Become your boss, the only way you'll ever know how.

:unsmigghh:

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Here friends this was going around artist Twitter but it helps for these computer office jobs too

https://twitter.com/BrandonHyde/status/1046526065332678657

Another good one for computer monkeys is to put your hand palm down on a flat surface and raise each finger up, one at a time. Some of your fingers are surprisingly hard to raise by themselves and it does good things for your finger, hand and wrist area.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lowly posted:

Another good one for computer monkeys is to put your hand palm down on a flat surface and raise each finger up, one at a time. Some of your fingers are surprisingly hard to raise by themselves and it does good things for your finger, hand and wrist area.

wait, that's an exercise for pen spinning, too

i always typed for 15 hours a day and never had any hand problems

did the pen spinning prevent hand problems, lol

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

1on1 with interim manager tomorrow, here’s hoping I don’t get fired.

or hoping I do, whatever

I’ve never been fired from a job before, how does it typically effect future interviews for you guys who’ve gotten canned, if at all?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In my scandi wonderland people will ask what happened and accept the truth.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mandrel posted:

or hoping I do, whatever

I’ve never been fired from a job before, how does it typically effect future interviews for you guys who’ve gotten canned, if at all?

I don't understand: you weren't fired, you chose to leave the company because they moved in a direction that you weren't happy with.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mandrel posted:

or hoping I do, whatever

“I realized it wasn’t the place for me anymore and I left.” It’s true - the boss told you it wasn’t the place for you, and you left after security showed you the door.

Everybody knows what it means, nobody cares. Everyone got fired at some point; it’s not the black mark on your permanent record people would have you believe. Remember in elementary school how worried you were about getting sent to the principal, or detention? How much does that matter now?

My first job post firing started before my severance ran out and was a 30% raise. A+, would get fired again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FrozenVent posted:

Everybody knows what it means, nobody cares. Everyone got fired at some point; it’s not the black mark on your permanent record people would have you believe. Remember in elementary school how worried you were about getting sent to the principal, or detention? How much does that matter now?

I dunno man I got sent to the principle once in 1st grade because I tried to run away from school so I could go Trick or Treating. I was dressed up like a ninja turtle and I threw such a poo poo fit I ended up vomiting in the principle's office.

And now I'm a wage slave in a dead end thankless job.

Coincidence?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got fired from my college summer job at Jimmy John's because I skipped a shift to hang out with a lady friend. We eventually got married, the ultimate mark on my permanent record :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I provided my 2 weeks notice in writing at my first ever job at BJ's (shut up) and my manager was legit shocked that she had someone actually resign properly instead of just not showing up anymore.

It was really sad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Anyone know of a quirky/odd blog from the business world?

Our CEOs current pet project is internal socia media. It's not just enough to add your photo and email address to the internal directory, they want us to follow each other and ideally write blogs.

Buggered if I am going to waste my time on that: anything I can cut and paste that will make me look like I am a teamplayer, yet if anyone reads it they might get a laugh out of it without it being obviously a joke.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just post those dumbass videos Suzy Welch puts on linkedin every day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mandrel posted:

Hiring companies do the bare minimum due diligence 99.9% of the time. Most places are going to call up your previous employer, ask an HR drone "Did Mandrel work for you from x date to y date?", the HR drone will check the records and say "Yes they did" and then hang up the phone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sydin posted:

Hiring companies do the bare minimum due diligence 99.9% of the time. Most places are going to call up your previous employer, ask an HR drone "Did Mandrel work for you from x date to y date?", the HR drone will check the records and say "Yes they did" and then hang up the phone.

lots of places have a verify only policy as well

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
When the hell did "diversibilities" become a thing? Why must they be so incredibly infantalizing?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FrozenVent posted:

My first job post firing started before my severance ran out and was a 30% raise. A+, would get fired again.
I got fired from the grocery store I was toiling at because their options were (a) fire me, or (b) give me any sort of benefits. Now I work about an hour a day in total and make twice as much while getting a 401k and health insurance. 10/10

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Renegret posted:

I provided my 2 weeks notice in writing at my first ever job at BJ's (shut up) and my manager was legit shocked that she had someone actually resign properly instead of just not showing up anymore.

It was really sad.

Counterpoint:
https://www.distractify.com/trending/2018/06/27/Zd2jCw/ghosting-at-work

gently caress employers.

Mandrel posted:

or hoping I do, whatever

It doesn't. If by 2018 you haven't been fired at least once, then you're definitely in the minority.

You aren't obligated to (and shouldn't) give any reason why you left a job other than "I wanted to move in a different direction." Employers use it as a litmus test for potential bad apples, they don't want to know the sordid tale of "how I got fired from [X] job." The worst thing you could possibly say is the truth, for any reason.

Being successful in capitalism requires one to successfully lie constantly. The best liars get promoted, and it's quite common they don't even realize just how often or even when they are lying, because they've convinced themselves it was the truth already.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 5, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Haha, this is great. The article has it right though, this is exactly how employers have acted toward workers for years. You apply, you interview, and get nothing back at all until you just shrug it off and move on. Or you know your employer is going to fire you the moment you give notice, and then send some HR ghoul to watch you pack up your stuff and walk you out like you're a criminal. Why go through that? Companies have been treating workers as soulless gears, now they've just internalized the attitude and don't give a poo poo about treating the company like anything more than a hungering machine.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I revel in explaining to my associates that you owe the company nothing but the time they're paying you for. You certainly don't owe them any loyalty or favors. When companies stop treating people like a part of a transaction, I'll stop treating my time with them like one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HiroProtagonist posted:

gently caress employers.

Well, yeah.

But I'm not going to leave my coworkers wondering if I died or got arrested. I have no problems with quitting without notice but I'm never going to ghost a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Haha, this is great. The article has it right though, this is exactly how employers have acted toward workers for years. You apply, you interview, and get nothing back at all until you just shrug it off and move on. Or you know your employer is going to fire you the moment you give notice, and then send some HR ghoul to watch you pack up your stuff and walk you out like you're a criminal. Why go through that? Companies have been treating workers as soulless gears, now they've just internalized the attitude and don't give a poo poo about treating the company like anything more than a hungering machine.

I'm saying.

It's so patently obvious why people would do this to anyone who hasn't spent a large chunk of their recent years making their living off of the labor of others.

It was bad when I finished school and entered the workforce over 10 years ago. It's far worse now, unless you work in banking or finance-related fields. Those fields in particular define the term "unproductive labor."

edit: actually, the above is why I find it so infuriating when people assume that anyone bitching about income inequality or lack of benefits and/or employment is some college kid. It's like, how the gently caress do you think we know it's so bad? You think a college kid knows enough about the day to day of being a working stiff in order to complain in the first place?

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 5, 2018