Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
When his crib still had all the walls, he'd do head stands on his mattress, and when falling over would bang his shins on the rails. He had leg bruises for months.

Thanks kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fourwood posted:

Oh poo poo my baby just learned to walk. :toot:

Congratulations, I am still waiting. He's 15 months now, and for the past 3 months he has just asked to be walked everywhere (we hold his hands and he stumbles on with us as support.) I see him sometimes trying to move on his own but he just can't get the balance right. Doctor said to not be worried but I can't help but be worried when it seems like every other baby I see at his age is there already.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My kids didn’t walk until 16 and 17 months and they were fine. Totally capable runners and athletes now.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

gbut posted:

A couple that I know ended up under CPS "observation" due to bruises when they took their kid to the doctor. Not the kind of people that I'd ever imagine being abusive, they are really caring and loving parents. All it takes is one suspicious nurse.

Double-edged sword, I guess.

What a loving nightmare, I feel like it's a huge fear of so many parents.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

GoutPatrol posted:

Congratulations, I am still waiting. He's 15 months now, and for the past 3 months he has just asked to be walked everywhere (we hold his hands and he stumbles on with us as support.) I see him sometimes trying to move on his own but he just can't get the balance right. Doctor said to not be worried but I can't help but be worried when it seems like every other baby I see at his age is there already.

Mine didn't walk until 19 months, I was similarly worried. He is now 25 months (aka 2) and you put him down anywhere and he will just go go go and not necessarily in the direction you want him to.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

My guy was over 18 months too. Once they start you forget that they ever didn't know how.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

What a loving nightmare, I feel like it's a huge fear of so many parents.

If it helps, healthcare staff should be trained about how to distinguish accidental bruises from potentially abusive bruises. I think parents worry a lot and obviously there are a few edge cases but 99% of the time accidental bruising is obviously accidental and there are plenty of 'tells' that give it away.

I mean my girl is nearly three and I swear her head magnetically attracts walls and corners.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

fourwood posted:

Already off to a good start since yesterday we had her out on the sidewalk with her walker/cart thing walking and she hit a pothole and broke the fall with her face. :(

I guess after that she said gently caress it, can’t trust the walker to keep me safe, I just have to do it myself.

e: but also no I refuse to let my baby hurt herself again she’s never getting hurt ever I swear to god

Baby first made the association of ‘boo-boo’ or ‘ouchie’ with a scrape she got on her wrist while hauling rear end down the sidewalk. Now every time we ask where the boo-boo is, she does this really cute turning the wrist over and tapping it motion before moving onto the head, or nose or wherever.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 24, 2022

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My toddler has entered the stage of "you said no? I guess that means I'm gonna do the opposite while looking directly into your eyes, jackass"

Most of the time I have to remind myself that I shouldn't laugh and encourage it but it's also cute as hell

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I posted at the beginning of September how we had started letting our 3.5 year old pick a sticker to put on the calendar after brushing her teeth. It has been a huge success; not only is she brushing more consistently but she's also learning how to determine what day it is and recognize the letters where we write her grandparents' initials on their visit days.

But last night we hit an unexpected hitch: October 23rd is half size on our calendar layout, sharing a space with the 30th. And she was not having that. "Make it bigger! I don't want the little day! Make it bigger!" Derailed bedtime for 45 minutes as it keyed off a tantrum and eventually ended in sketching a new calendar on a sheet of paper.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That one is entirely on you. You shouldn't have bought a knock-off calendar. The kid knows.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My kid frequently faceplants while running and will often end up bleeding from the mouth from having bit her lip. She cries until I kiss it better and then she gets ice cream.

I’m amazed at how well “kiss it better” helps her calm down after being hurt. If she pinched her finger she will come crying to me holding up her finger and once I give it a kiss, she’s perfectly fine. She’ll also try to get me to kiss the inside of her mouth if she bites her cheek or something.

The other day she she bumped her face into the bench at the park and bit her lip really bad. I carried her home and attempted to keep her brand new Pillow Cat plushie away from her face, but she was not having it. Pillow Cat has already gotten blood on her. Baby didn’t even want me to take Pillow Cat away to clean the blood off, so I had to bring a damp towel to her to get the blood off before it stained.

Fortunately, we live just down the block from the park, so she doesn’t have to wait long for ice cream.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Tom Smykowski posted:

My toddler has entered the stage of "you said no? I guess that means I'm gonna do the opposite while looking directly into your eyes, jackass"

Most of the time I have to remind myself that I shouldn't laugh and encourage it but it's also cute as hell

BFs son has started doing that but will sometimes wave his finger in the air and do this sassy noooOOOOoooo. Usually when he’s being told to eat food…after he’s established that he’s hungry.

I try very hard not to undermine his father but he’s too effin cute.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Tom Smykowski posted:

This has been happening to me a lot with coffee cups. So much broken ceramic.

I don’t know what I was thinking using my coffee table as a coffee table with a toddler.

The worst was when he stared me down and spiked a glass Starbucks frapp like a football.

He also was standing in front of the coffee table just chilling and snacking and then face planted into it from a dead stop. Had to go to daycare with a big red mark on his cheek.

He always has 3 bug bites and a skinned knee and will happily point to booboos on himself or someone else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

space uncle posted:

He always has 3 bug bites and a skinned knee and will happily point to booboos on himself or someone else.

For ours, "bug bites" was one of her first 20 words or so

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God drat. The kids are back in daycare today finally but not before I caught whatever cold they had.

This thing has knocked me on my rear end all weekend long and I had to call out to work today. Fingers crossed my wife doesn’t get it, but she accidentally took a sip of my coffee this morning…

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

nwin posted:

God drat. The kids are back in daycare today finally but not before I caught whatever cold they had.

This thing has knocked me on my rear end all weekend long and I had to call out to work today. Fingers crossed my wife doesn’t get it, but she accidentally took a sip of my coffee this morning…
Same, my kid went back to daycare today thank god, but now guess who has RSV?!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

nwin posted:

I caught something from my previously sick kid, but instead of making me cough a ton I have tinnitus and everything sounds muffled. I’ve also been going to bed before 9 because I’m just beat. Doc wasn’t too concerned but I’m pretty over it.

Kid ran into the daycare room, kissed me, and sent me on my way this morning.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

Baby got sent home last week with hand, foot, and mouth, and my wife seems to have gotten it, probably because our daughter likes trying to shove her hands in our mouths and my wife hasn't learned to be faster at dodging. Our son has a cough, which my MIL seems to have picked up. I was out of town for work for most of last week, so I've been working and sleeping in my basement office to avoid getting... anything? everything?

It's a little chilly, but it IS quiet.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Alarbus posted:

Baby got sent home last week with hand, foot, and mouth, and my wife seems to have gotten it, probably because our daughter likes trying to shove her hands in our mouths and my wife hasn't learned to be faster at dodging

To be fair, even with perfect dodging skills, you're very very likely to catch HFM if someone has it around the house. It has all the fomite transmission chops that we were all so worried about covid-19 having in 2020. Hand to doorknob to hand to mouth and BOOM, you're toast.

The policy at the daycares in our area is "if they have HFM, they need to be feeling well enough to last a full day, otherwise they can't come in". They don't even care about transmission because they assume all the kids will get it if one of them has it. With the long incubation and pre-symptomatic transmissibility, by the time one kid shows symptoms, it's too late to save the rest.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My wife brought up a good point. Think about the poo poo that your kids bring home from daycare.

Now think about what happens to those poor teachers who are trapped in a classroom with a dozen of those petri dishes for 8 hours.

Apparently it's a thing where every new hire gets knocked out with something within their first week. They have a pretty lax sick policy.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To be fair, even with perfect dodging skills, you're very very likely to catch HFM if someone has it around the house. It has all the fomite transmission chops that we were all so worried about covid-19 having in 2020. Hand to doorknob to hand to mouth and BOOM, you're toast.

The policy at the daycares in our area is "if they have HFM, they need to be feeling well enough to last a full day, otherwise they can't come in". They don't even care about transmission because they assume all the kids will get it if one of them has it. With the long incubation and pre-symptomatic transmissibility, by the time one kid shows symptoms, it's too late to save the rest.

Oh sure. And I probably got it before when he had it a few years ago. But I'm also not lax enough to let her shove those grubby baby fingers in my mouth, straight from hers.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really careful about covid and I've got a lot better about washing my hands. When the kids are sick at home I wear an n95 at almost all times, and I wash my hands ALL the time. I also already had some hepa filters from fire season and built 3 corsi-rosenthal-cubes. I didn't used to take these kinds of measures, but I avoided flu earlier this year from doing that (and sleeping in the basement when this happens too, lol) and the last time I got sick I know why: my kid coughed in my face while I was asleep (not in the basement) at 5am, lol.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That was our PCP’s attitude too ( 14 month old had HFM like two weeks ago): by the time he’s showing symptoms and they had their first case (not us), it’s too late to save anyone else. As long as he’s not feverish, he can come in. Knock on wood, mom and I did not end up with it despite his love of shoving his hands into our mouths.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

nwin posted:

Same. Kiddo was out sick on Friday and while he's fine now, I was out on my rear end today.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Add another sick kid to the pile. Mine got RSV and, today (his birthday!), ear infection #4 for this calendar year. Luckily he’s handling it a lot better than his last case of RSV. Counting down the days until I start feeling sick.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The earlier talk about kids and bruises brings to mind a story my mom tells of how her doctor brain kicked into overdrive with all the bruises and strains and scrapes I had as a kid followed by her worriedly contacting my pediatrician with a laundry list of possibilities. Only for him to laugh and go "no doctor beatnik your son is just a seven year old boy".

In less funny subjects, does anyone else's kids hit themselves? I don't mean in the usual "toddler can't communicate properly, gets frustrated" way. My 6yo daughter has Been Through Some poo poo with custody stuff thanks to horsehumper and has slapped walls and the like when upset. But tonight she straight up smacked her face when a mistake was made. No change in expression. Just a solid *whack* on her brow.

Like, what the gently caress?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm no child psychologist but that really seems like it should raise some red flags about her time with him.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My nephew is 4 and smashes his head into pillows all the time

Would be more concerned if it were by niece

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm no child psychologist but that really seems like it should raise some red flags about her time with him.

The issue, as always, is that when we've expressed concern about her behavior in the past fuckface has put on his most innocent expression and gone "jolly gee she never does that here and in fact is perfectly happy maybe she just doesn't like it at her mother's place". All while refusing to give consent to a new child paychologist.

I dunno. She acts out with us and other members of my family when presented with gentle criticism/correction but per her teacher at our last conference she's grumpy about it but handles it well. And she tells us and our family she doesn't want to go to his place but won't tell others in authority (like her teacher or school counseler), save for one outburst in front of the parents of her friend.

Like, is she putting on an act for us or what?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Silent Linguist posted:

Add another sick kid to the pile. Mine got RSV and, today (his birthday!), ear infection #4 for this calendar year. Luckily he’s handling it a lot better than his last case of RSV. Counting down the days until I start feeling sick.

Children’s hospitals fill up amid early surge in respiratory infections

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/10/childrens-hospitals-fill-up-amid-up-early-surge-in-respiratory-infections/

Edit:

citybeatnik posted:

The issue, as always, is that when we've expressed concern about her behavior in the past fuckface has put on his most innocent expression and gone "jolly gee she never does that here and in fact is perfectly happy maybe she just doesn't like it at her mother's place". All while refusing to give consent to a new child paychologist.

I dunno. She acts out with us and other members of my family when presented with gentle criticism/correction but per her teacher at our last conference she's grumpy about it but handles it well. And she tells us and our family she doesn't want to go to his place but won't tell others in authority (like her teacher or school counseler), save for one outburst in front of the parents of her friend.

Like, is she putting on an act for us or what?

If we assume horsehumper is telling the truth, I still wouldn't worry so much about that particular aspect of it. It's fairly well known, I think, that children are good at hiding their problems in any environment where they don't feel completely secure/supported. And then they vent once they're with people they do feel secure around. So if a kid only acts out around you, personally, that's a sign that you're doing it right. Well, that's my pop psych take on it, anyway.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 25, 2022

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Yes I’m aware. I’m in the Boston area. There’s also an amoxicillin shortage around here, so we had to go with a lower concentration and he has to take 12 ml per dose. Luckily he likes the bubblegum flavor.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the 5yo twins drew a garbage bag monster….with a fish skeleton dick, which is admittedly pretty funny. Good opportunity to talk about if this would be appropriate at school or not.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Silent Linguist posted:

Yes I’m aware. I’m in the Boston area. There’s also an amoxicillin shortage around here, so we had to go with a lower concentration and he has to take 12 ml per dose. Luckily he likes the bubblegum flavor.

How the gently caress did we get to the point where there’s an amoxicillin shortage in a major us city. Crazy times.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

There's a children's advil/Tylenol shortage in Canada. Pharmacists are having to dole out bottles from the pharmacy supply now.

Medical supply chains and hoarding tendency these days is causing so many issues.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
There's a prednisone shortage here which is in no way related to covid because covid is over, we beat it, good job everyone.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My daughter announced that she's getting married today, to Mommy! Congratulations to the happy couple.

I wonder if we all had RSV over the last week. We were all sick, and daughter had a lousy sounding cough but no one ever popped a fever. It seems to be better now. She had RSV back in mid 2021 I want to say.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

External Organs posted:

My daughter announced that she's getting married today, to Mommy! Congratulations to the happy couple.

Mine announced a while ago that when she grows up, she's going to marry <best friend's name>. He will be the daddy, she will be the mommy and his little brother will be their baby.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Because the universe loves throwing us curveballs our son's home today. The storm we had last night, which kept our kids up way too late, knocked the power out at his daycare this morning. So much for my cunning plan of taking a nap after dropping the kids off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Mine announced a while ago that when she grows up, she's going to marry <best friend's name>. He will be the daddy, she will be the mommy and his little brother will be their baby.

Nice looping family tree. 'grats!