Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Probably a stupid question but has anyone played The Convenience Store? There doesn't seem to be a save option, is this right? If so how long did it take you to run through the game? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bessantj posted:

Probably a stupid question but has anyone played The Convenience Store? There doesn't seem to be a save option, is this right? If so how long did it take you to run through the game? Thanks in advance.

I have 53 minutes on it and an ending achievement

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've stumbled across a YouTube soundtrack to game I've never heard of: Mizzurna Falls. Apparently only released in Japan. I'm sure most goons in this thread have heard of it and probably played it.

Is it any good? It looks like some kind of Silent Hill/Twin Peaks crossover.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Resurrection or Trilogy?
Trilogy for now.
So much more technically advanced than AvP on Jaguar, but way less... ambition.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played Dusk, but I played another game he did called Iron Lung and it was a pretty fun way to kill an hour (it's really short). Pretty original idea for a game.

This was really cool. I love these kinds of games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

woodenchicken posted:

Trilogy for now.

Always amused me how they tried to string all three movies together in a single narrative but in the wrong order.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

I have 53 minutes on it and an ending achievement

Thanks. If I set aside 90 minutes I should get an ending easily.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Redezga posted:

I finished Paradise Killer yesterday

Hell yeah! I'm basically SA's evangelical for this game, I'll talk to anyone about it who will listen. Glad you enjoyed it.

See you on Perfect 25. :wink:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Always amused me how they tried to string all three movies together in a single narrative but in the wrong order.
Ah, I was wondering why it's immediately the 2nd movie and I'm an... assistant marine who's told to clean poo poo up before the arrival of real marines? It's weird.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

bessantj posted:

I loving love the chilla games

probably takes me a couple hours for each one on average

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

chilla's art creates some truly wonderful atmospheres; it's hard to nail something being both quaint and creepy, but they somehow manage

be sure to check out the rest of their library if you like the convenience store, since they're all mostly in the same realm of 1-2 hour playthroughs of small town japanese horror

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I've stumbled across a YouTube soundtrack to game I've never heard of: Mizzurna Falls. Apparently only released in Japan. I'm sure most goons in this thread have heard of it and probably played it.

Is it any good? It looks like some kind of Silent Hill/Twin Peaks crossover.

I had never heard of the game until a few months back when an english patch was released. I played a bit of it and it feels like a proto Deadly Premonitions. The controls are PS1 jank, but if you're into it, the game is interesting. I have only a couple hours in and it's on my to-play list.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The last Chila’s Art game I played showed me that I really want one of those mini pickup trucks. Kei vans?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

tensai posted:

I had never heard of the game until a few months back when an english patch was released. I played a bit of it and it feels like a proto Deadly Premonitions. The controls are PS1 jank, but if you're into it, the game is interesting. I have only a couple hours in and it's on my to-play list.

Grimbeard did a video on it:

https://youtu.be/WLrJcN_7dzo

Contains a very clearly marked spoiler section. From what I remember he said it's reach exceeds it's grasp but it's an interesting piece of history. It's amazing that it's got a largely functioning open world three years before GTA3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

What order are the films in and how the hell do they explain it? :psyduck:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You basically start of in Aliens then it moves to a prison facility on LV426 that's Alien 3 then into the crashed alien ship for Alien with no breaks. It's very odd but there's virtually no plot or explanation other than a couple of unvoiced cgi cutscenes and text mission briefings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dead space remake launch trailer

it's leaning way more into the action-adventure side of things than i'd prefer, but i guess that's the market now, so whatever. i'm liking the visuals of the marine necromorphs at least, and the fact that isaac now looks like a proper engineering doofus instead of a mid 2000s grizzled crew cut boxart man is a nice change

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I am in some bizarro universe where everyone else played a different Dead Space than I did and it was some deep survival horror game and not an action heavy, linear tps. Most of the time people talk about it I'm like "did we play different game or something?"

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I am in some bizarro universe where everyone else played a different Dead Space than I did and it was some deep survival horror game and not an action heavy, linear tps. Most of the time people talk about it I'm like "did we play different game or something?"

The first one, while action still, was very much steeped in horror. 2 is when it really tips. Also, I really like how much of a huge dweeb the new Isaac is. Here's hoping that is maintained through the rest of the series remakes.

But even so:

Goodnight sweet prince.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 12, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

veni veni veni posted:

Rose tinted glasses, for the most part. The game does hold up but it really stops being scary the moment you realize how abundant the status stuff is and how good your gun is.

That one room they used the tram noise for is amazing, though. Peak horror. Nothing scary in it, just wildly uncomfortable.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

woodenchicken posted:

Trilogy for now.

I'm sure it's trapped in some sort of licensing limbo, but I always think it's a shame that Alien Trilogy isn't commercially available anywhere at the moment. Especially when Star Wars: Dark Forces is on Steam and actively receiving community support. They occupy a similar place in my mind thinking back to those early PS1 days and I always thought Alien Trilogy was decent.

Honestly, Alien Trilogy was probably as influential as RE1 in terms of getting me into horror games at a (too early) age.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

dogstile posted:

Rose tinted glasses, for the most part. The game does hold up but it really stops being scary the moment you realize how abundant the status stuff is and how good your gun is.

That one room they used the tram noise for is amazing, though. Peak horror. Nothing scary in it, just wildly uncomfortable.

Imo DS2 was better than 1 for the reason that neither of them are actually scary, they're both just running off of atmosphere, but DS2's feeling of being in an area being *actively infected* by the necromorphs was better than "this place had been dead for a long time and now all the corpses are moving again".

Once you got used to the necromorphs in the first game they kind of became trivial, as you said.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The invincible enemy from I think DS2 that you'd have to hold off in frantic combat scenarios was good in the way Mr. X was when other zombies were in the mix.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Even when you got used to the regular morphs DS1 would throw curveballs showing a good understanding of horror. A+ creepy designs and sound work like the enemies that are easier to fight than necros but more unsettling so they fit in appearing later like the crawling heads and swarms of tiny morphs. Good emergency situations that weren't lame qtes such as being grabbed by the hallway tentacle. The regenerator has an efficient way to handle him that makes it really safe but you're still on edge the entire time. Giant bosses in a game that has made it clear you can die instantly if you do a sensibly wrong thing that'd instantly kill a real person, even if most bosses were giant shoot the glowing weak spot guys that didn't insta-gib you but you felt like "oh god don't let it pick me up."

I know a game has good horror when I absolutely don't want the enemy to touch me. Fear of crowded spaces with approaching threats, fears of giant/lethal things, fear of the unsettling and alien, time limit fears. They really executed the full kit of vidya tricks for the time well.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Doomykins posted:

Even when you got used to the regular morphs DS1 would throw curveballs showing a good understanding of horror. A+ creepy designs and sound work like the enemies that are easier to fight than necros but more unsettling so they fit in appearing later like the crawling heads and swarms of tiny morphs. Good emergency situations that weren't lame qtes such as being grabbed by the hallway tentacle. The regenerator has an efficient way to handle him that makes it really safe but you're still on edge the entire time. Giant bosses in a game that has made it clear you can die instantly if you do a sensibly wrong thing that'd instantly kill a real person, even if most bosses were giant shoot the glowing weak spot guys that didn't insta-gib you but you felt like "oh god don't let it pick me up."

I know a game has good horror when I absolutely don't want the enemy to touch me. Fear of crowded spaces with approaching threats, fears of giant/lethal things, fear of the unsettling and alien, time limit fears. They really executed the full kit of vidya tricks for the time well.

I think this sums up pretty well my thoughts on it. Good horror where you're empowered to fight back is really about the atmosphere, circumstances and how the dev leverages those to put you on edge or surprise you.

Hallway tentacle is really the best example of a cool but horrific set piece where your reaction when first seeing it is "gently caress poo poo gently caress gently caress aaaaaah" as you try to shoot the weak point while the tentacle slams you around trying to pull you toward your doom. Even if you gently caress it up once or twice it's still a tense set piece, even on a replay even.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
One of the most memorable moments for me in DS1 was when I thought I was getting used to the game and how it worked. Feeling pretty confident and well armed, no problems.

And then came the room where you first encounter the enemy who can latch onto corpses and transform them into foes, and watching it happen was unnerving as gently caress. How many corpses had I left behind? From that point on, my behavior changed to just outright paranoia about the bodies. Every single corpse got stomped, just in case one of those things got to them when I wasn't looking. And that level of caution got maintained through replays, too. Even when I knew at that point that logically there was no danger from the bodies, but just that one moment caused me to treat everything differently.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 12, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Classic Isaac is a background character at the stevedore union bar taking pilsner and raw egg shots during season 2 of the wire. New Isaac is like scruffy-faced, squint-eyed Ethan Hawke Training Day where he just "can't believe what's happening right now".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat, I'm gonna miss Chubby Isaac :rip::respek::smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo DS2 was better than 1 for the reason that neither of them are actually scary, they're both just running off of atmosphere, but DS2's feeling of being in an area being *actively infected* by the necromorphs was better than "this place had been dead for a long time and now all the corpses are moving again".

Once you got used to the necromorphs in the first game they kind of became trivial, as you said.

Hard agree. DS2 is just way better in general imo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Has there been any footage confirming whether or not they're keeping the ridiculous, useless sprinkler-head alt fire that the Plasma Rifle had in the first game? Hoping they kept it for the sake of authenticity.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

When I replay dead space I often do both 1 and 2. DS1 is a fun floating haunted house in space that turns into a horror themed third person shooter and DS2 continues that in a refined fun action horror movie kind of way.

The subtle control refinements in DS2 are very noticeable. I still play ds1 because of the haunted mansion vibe. Maybe the new one will become the defacto version? I wouldn't mind that. Hoping for good reviews...

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

Hell yeah! I'm basically SA's evangelical for this game, I'll talk to anyone about it who will listen. Glad you enjoyed it.

See you on Perfect 25. :wink:

A quick search of the game title on this forum tells me you're actually the person that made it sound compelling enough to take a punt on it, so thanks, lol.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Sincerely, same. I saw it on discount through isthereanydeal.com and are currently stalking the island high land low.

And Im definitely getting this ost.

Idk why I only glanced over this title before. Something just didn't make me want to try and now I feel silly for not doing so!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

You basically start of in Aliens then it moves to a prison facility on LV426 that's Alien 3 then into the crashed alien ship for Alien with no breaks. It's very odd but there's virtually no plot or explanation other than a couple of unvoiced cgi cutscenes and text mission briefings.

That's weird as hell, and you're still Ripley? Does it go from the Derelicte to the Nostromo somehow or the "Alien" part is just the ship?

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, I'm gonna miss Chubby Isaac :rip::respek::smith:

Same, however, I'm excited as hell that this remake is the end of the month, it looks so good and thankfully super faithful. I caught some new things in the trailer but it all looks like extra stuff instead of noticeable changes.

I hope they made the last boss more interesting though, that thing was just such a lame fight.

I finished up Iron Lung the other day, loved it but navigating the ship around started to get a little dull. There should have been a bit more to do on the ship.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

sigher posted:

That's weird as hell, and you're still Ripley? Does it go from the Derelicte to the Nostromo somehow or the "Alien" part is just the ship?
Playing it rn, I think it's just gonna be the ship. Finally recognized the protagonist as Ripley by the signature catchphrase.
https://youtu.be/pT0-V0pvzrI?t=201
The Boneship :quagmire:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo7ltPFCJzg

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got excited thinking this was out soon. Come to find out it’s not until March. gently caress!

I have good memories of playing the Wii fan translation. It might not be the “best” Fatal Frame but I dug a lot about it, and prefer it to 5.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I realize it's kind of a niche title but releasing it 2 weeks before RE4 is a bold move, Cotton

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Basticle posted:

I realize it's kind of a niche title but releasing it 2 weeks before RE4 is a bold move, Cotton

And not horror games but we have EA's monster hunter clone Wild Hearts releasing two weeks after Monster Hunter Rise comes Playstation and Xbox.

And technically callisto protocol released just barely under two months from Dead Space Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Basticle posted:

I'll buy both