Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
That said, If everyone's running from Khorne, he can pick up easy domination points to try and stay in the running for score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Khorne isn't just attack, it's spread out and attack.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

hito posted:

Can any wargoons speak to the COIN system as it relates to tradgames?

I've never been a wargamer, but I do love Twilight Struggle and I've heard really good things about the COIN system.GMT's new P500 is a COIN game called Pendragon and it's about the end of Roman Britain. It's kinda tempting me even though I don't play war games.

They're really good, but you need exactly four players for them to be good. Play Cuba Libre first.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

People are paying David Sirlin $2,300 a month to do a podcast. That's pretty :lol: considering he's the king of milking new versions and expensive micro expansions for all of his games. He knows exactly how to separate the maximum amount of money from nerds and is running with it.

Yea gently caress the man for making a successful living off making board games. What hubris.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

hito posted:

Can any wargoons speak to the COIN system as it relates to tradgames?

I've never been a wargamer, but I do love Twilight Struggle and I've heard really good things about the COIN system.GMT's new P500 is a COIN game called Pendragon and it's about the end of Roman Britain. It's kinda tempting me even though I don't play war games.

They are essentially better and slightly more complex dudes-on-a-map games. They don't really have the trappings of typical wargames, or at least what people think of when they hear the term wargame.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Caedar posted:

They're really good, but you need exactly four players for them to be good. Play Cuba Libre first.

Actually, they play really well solo. They even come with thorough bot flowcharts, which some people love and others find overwhelming or tedious.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

CaptainRightful posted:

Actually, they play really well solo. They even come with thorough bot flowcharts, which some people love and others find overwhelming or tedious.

That's true. I suppose I mean if you want to play multiplayer, you need four.

EBag
May 18, 2006

When calculating and comparing prices in FCM, say one player has the -$1 milestone and the other doesn't, both are the same distance and the house has 3 demands. Do price discounts get applied to each item or to the total price? Would it be $27 vs $30 or $29 vs $30?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The reduction is to the unit price so it would be $27 for 3 items

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Caedar posted:

That's true. I suppose I mean if you want to play multiplayer, you need four.

You can play Fire In the Lake with two or three, but that one is a bit on an exception.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I played Monopoly Deal the other day. It reminded me of Sushi Go a little bit, even. It's a really simple, luck driven game but it ends in like 25 minutes so I'm actually pretty okay with it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ithle01 posted:

You can play Fire In the Lake with two or three, but that one is a bit on an exception.

I thought the Cartel bot in Andean Abyss works quite well at playing down the middle. Not so great at processing drugs, but good at balancing the other three

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Food Chain Magnate.

Did OK; one person went Waitress starter and was out of the game fairly quickly. The other guy went a bit more advertising heavy than I did (I didn't get enough drinks) so in the last two rounds we ran out of money, and he'd outscored me by $20 or so out of $240. With my bonus earnings I would've come ahead. So relatively close, probably a wash.

If I was playing again (and I probably won't), I'd have built my engine a tiny bit more and focused on milestones a little less; I forgot the "you can buy and train the same turn" rule. Love the art, the gameplay is "Build your engine. BUILD IT! Keep building! Make it more complex. If you haven't lost yet, BUILD YOUR ENGINE!"

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 13, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So if i'm going to be playing/teaching Space Alert with the learn to play guide you would still use androids if you're playing with only 3 players right? Are the card amounts the learn to play guide want you to use still good even with less than 4 or 5 people?

Edit: Ignore me they have a section for it at the end i overlooked :doh:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 13, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally played my copy of Viticulture Essential Edition. Playing solo against the Automa was very interesting.

First of all, the Automa is really cool. A great concept with a fine execution. For anyone not familiar, the concept is that you don't need to simulate a full opponent - you just need to simulate the effects of their actions. It is simple and works remarkably well.

It is challenging on normal difficulty however, to the point that I find it frustrating that orders (the #1 way to get points) are drawn from a deck and whether you get something vaguely attainable or not is anyone's guess! Or maybe I'm missing something? I have never won a game even including against actual people with the original edition so I probably am :haw:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

The End posted:

I thought the Cartel bot in Andean Abyss works quite well at playing down the middle. Not so great at processing drugs, but good at balancing the other three

The reason I think FItL works so well for fewer players is because with two you can either marry each player to the AI that's on 'their side' or you can have both players use the rules for US/RVN and VC/NVA alliance depending on the amount of inter-ally strife you want. With three one player can double up as both the NVA/VC.

Or just use the bots, they work fine too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Golden Bee posted:

Did OK; one person went Waitress starter and was out of the game fairly quickly. The other guy went a bit more advertising heavy than I did (I didn't get enough drinks) so in the last two rounds we ran out of money, and he'd outscored me by $20 or so out of $240. With my bonus earnings I would've come ahead. So relatively close, probably a wash.

If I was playing again (and I probably won't), I'd have built my engine a tiny bit more and focused on milestones a little less; I forgot the "you can buy and train the same turn" rule. Love the art, the gameplay is "Build your engine. BUILD IT! Keep building! Make it more complex. If you haven't lost yet, BUILD YOUR ENGINE!"

You write down any money owed. So yeah you won.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Golden Bee posted:

I disagree with your analysis that the game is just "build your engine, make it more complex, etc.". You can win with a very simple company structure as long as you're able to utilize the efforts of your opponents to your advantage.

Also, you would have won. You keep getting all the money you're owed after the bank breaks the second time.

e: Lorini beat me to it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have observed Oldstench to ride my coat tails (or even swipe them entirely) in that bloody game without a twinge of shame so yeah I agree :v:

I do agree however that the general feeling creayed is one of Enough Is Never Enough.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azran posted:

I played Monopoly Deal the other day. It reminded me of Sushi Go a little bit, even. It's a really simple, luck driven game but it ends in like 25 minutes so I'm actually pretty okay with it.

That's cool. My group loves Sushi Go, and I'm getting a little sick of it, so I might pick this up for some variety.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's the first time I've said "this ended so soon, let's play again" in anything Monopoly-related.

I'd totally recommend getting any of the other many, many good fillers games before it but if your group of non-gamers like Monopoly then this is a good way to sate that thirst without playing the actual boardgame.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

After picking it up last December, finally got to try The Bloody Inn last night, a 2 player game with my SO. We loved it!

It definitely has a race for the galaxy feel, between the multi-use cards and cards-in-hand as resources, but there's also a drafting element based on the guests available each round. I really like the tension between keeping cards in your hand so you can take advantage of important cards coming out, and keeping a small hand so you're not paying as much money each round. It also felt like it had a really good balance between the strategy of which annexes you want to build and planning your strategy around who will live through the first pass through the deck, and the tactics of the "drafting" and playing around the police and the money limit.

It does all this, and it's still not super heavy or difficult to learn - fills a really good niche. Plus, the art is really nice, and the theme is fun. Really looking forward to trying it three and four player.

The one thing I will say is that we were playing without paying too much attention to which guest gets put into each room, when technically the starting player of the round assigns the guests. Having your guest lives through the night only gives you 1$, so it's not a huge deal - but I could see some of my AP-prone friends obsessing over these decisions when it's their turn to make them. The book suggests simply dealing the cards out as a variant, and I'll probably use that if it becomes a problem, or maybe try something like deal them out then the starting player can switch two guests if they want. But maybe after plaing it more, making these decisions optimally will be quick.

burger time fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 13, 2016

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Caedar posted:

I preordered Liberty or Death at my LGS. It is my first COIN, but it looks like it'll do well with 2 given how the factions rely on each other so heavily. Looking forward to playing it solo, mostly.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Azran posted:

It's the first time I've said "this ended so soon, let's play again" in anything Monopoly-related.

I'd totally recommend getting any of the other many, many good fillers games before it but if your group of non-gamers like Monopoly then this is a good way to sate that thirst without playing the actual boardgame.

I went on a buying spree with that genre of quicker-playing card game adaptations of classic board games I don't like that my girlfriend does:
- Monopoly Deal (agreed)
- Scrabble Slam! (not much like Scrabble, since you're covering up already-played letters instead of using them to spell new words, also terrible if you aren't playing with 3-4 people)
- and Warriors (fantasy-themed Risk-alike, only played it once and I assume terrible under all conditions).

Batting .333 seemed worth it, evidently, because I also got
- the Battleship one
- Sorry! Revenge
- Yahtzee: Hands Down (I guess people say this is mainly for making less noise/not losing dice, since it's functionally identical to the real thing)
- and The Game of Life: Adventures (I use Rory's Story Cubes and other improvisational/story-telling activities for second-language teaching and this actually seems to be similar enough for that to work)

I agree in principle that designer filler games are better, but having to really learn the rules of fillers (instead of just knowing the background and winging it) is less appealing. They're also cheap as gently caress.

edit: vv wait really? Story, please.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i made my mom rage quit in monopoly deal

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can anyone explain why all the optional rules/scenarios are not good in the Mayfair version of 1830? I don't know the game well enough to appreciate the differences.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-574-1960-the-making-of-the-president.aspx

1960 is up for P500.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Any opinions on Villages of Valeria? I know it's on Kickstarter but the free PnP available means SOMEONE must have tried it. :v: I'm planning to try it this week but I wonder if anyone can dissuade me from doing that based on personal experiences. I've never played a tableau building game before.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Azran posted:

Any opinions on Villages of Valeria? I know it's on Kickstarter but the free PnP available means SOMEONE must have tried it. :v: I'm planning to try it this week but I wonder if anyone can dissuade me from doing that based on personal experiences. I've never played a tableau building game before.

I haven't pnp'd it but I kickstarted it, looks like a pretty good small box game that's relatively cheap and has good kickstarter extras

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Food Chain Magnate is amazing. Just played it for the first time with a few other first time players and had a blast. Two people competed hard over marketing, and both put up radio towers. Unfortunately for them, while they were setting up eternal marketing, I was setting up to get a burger chef, pizza chef, and full milestone truck driver with a restaurant right next to the drinks. I had the ability to sate almost all of the demand in the game, and after a discount, pulled in absurd amounts of cash.

Also played Concordia with the Salsa expansion, and it's pretty darned good. Salt adds a neat dimension to the game, and the forum cards encourage Tribunes at odd times, which expands the decision set more and makes for some cool plays.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Played Scoville last night. It wasn't bad, but the components could use some work. There are little wooden chilli peppers in 9 or 10 different colors. They're all the same shape because they fit into pepper shaped holes on the map when you plant them. The basic color peppers are shorter than the more advanced ones, but the colors on the wooden tokens and the cards are not exact. Maybe it was just the lighting in the room we played in, but trying to tell the colors apart from across the table was difficult at times. If someone was color blind they would have zero chance. Plus the cardboard for the map had already warped in the box (first time it's been played) so even telling the difference in height was impossible. But seriously, the red peppers were dark, almost maroon and there was also a purple. The orange pepper was very easy to tell apart from the others, but the orange and red on the cards looked very similar. And they can do red correctly. The red meeple was very red and easy to distinguish. The brown pepper was also mixed up with the purple at times. I dunno, it was really annoying. Oh and they didn't provide nearly enough wooden peppers for 5 players. We had to constantly get change and trade for the cardboard 3x and 5x tokens, giving away how many of a pepper you had. It made the screens kinda pointless at times. Finally our little farmer meeples had to crawl around to harvest peppers because they kept falling over on the warped board.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Also got to play FCM last night with a couple friends, wife was busy so it was just 3 of us. Just like I was hoping it turned out to be amazing, and even though we weren't interacting that much on the board until later in the game we were all talking and joking about what we were doing. One guy set up an eternal billboard next to some lone guys house off in the corner and turned him into a coke swilling diabetic, I tried to corner the burger market and upgraded a couple houses to have some gardens and was pulling ahead to a fast lead, getting the first to have $100 milestone, and the other guy was biding his time selling the odd item but teching up a lot more than either of us were using the $15 discount on salaries milestone to his benefit. I was hoping to sell off enough gourmet burgs to rush for a bank break somewhat early but the player who teched up went straight for guru/zeppelin/radio marketing and suddenly made almost the entire town want lemonade and I had completely skipped getting much drink stuff. In the end it came out relatively close with the leader at around $180, me at $140 and the third player with $100 but he was catching up quick selling tons of lemonade, his strategy would have probably worked if we had one or two more turns. We played with a fixed bank of $450 to keep it simple and it took us about 3 hours, but that was including a bit of socializing, really want to play this more to try out new strategies as it seems like there's a lot of different strategies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

QnoisX posted:

Played Scoville last night. It wasn't bad, but the components could use some work. There are little wooden chilli peppers in 9 or 10 different colors. They're all the same shape because they fit into pepper shaped holes on the map when you plant them. The basic color peppers are shorter than the more advanced ones, but the colors on the wooden tokens and the cards are not exact. Maybe it was just the lighting in the room we played in, but trying to tell the colors apart from across the table was difficult at times. If someone was color blind they would have zero chance. Plus the cardboard for the map had already warped in the box (first time it's been played) so even telling the difference in height was impossible. But seriously, the red peppers were dark, almost maroon and there was also a purple. The orange pepper was very easy to tell apart from the others, but the orange and red on the cards looked very similar. And they can do red correctly. The red meeple was very red and easy to distinguish. The brown pepper was also mixed up with the purple at times. I dunno, it was really annoying. Oh and they didn't provide nearly enough wooden peppers for 5 players. We had to constantly get change and trade for the cardboard 3x and 5x tokens, giving away how many of a pepper you had. It made the screens kinda pointless at times. Finally our little farmer meeples had to crawl around to harvest peppers because they kept falling over on the warped board.

As someone who's colorblind and has played Scoville, it was absolutely the lighting and you're seriously overstating the issue. The primaries are tiny, the secondaries are bigger and the browns are even bigger.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

As someone who's colorblind and has played Scoville, it was absolutely the lighting and you're seriously overstating the issue. The primaries are tiny, the secondaries are bigger and the browns are even bigger.

How did you read the cards? The symbols are all the same size on there. All four of our game boards were warped, so you couldn't tell what height the peppers in the fields were unless you pushed them down, usually knocking over all of the meeples,until we just started laying them down after moving. Putting a letter on each would solve that. Or maybe in our case get a lamp to shine on the table. Didn't help that the ingredient cards are on the opposite side of a 4 foot table. Had no issue with the demand cards, they were directly in front of me. The symbols are larger too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just look at them and if I have an issue, I ask another player. No one I've played with has had anywhere close to the difficulties you're describing and I'm the most colorblind person I've played with.

The Recipes are all organized from shortest to tallest and the Market cards are pretty easy. The auction cards are occasionally a problem, but only rarely.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I just look at them and if I have an issue, I ask another player. No one I've played with has had anywhere close to the difficulties you're describing and I'm the most colorblind person I've played with.

The Recipes are all organized from shortest to tallest and the Market cards are pretty easy. The auction cards are occasionally a problem, but only rarely.

I had the most issue with the recipe cards, but they were a good 3 feet away from me on the other side of the table. Didn't notice that they were organized like that. Isn't it tallest to shortest? Pretty sure the ghost peppers were always on the left. I had no problems with the market or auction cards, but I see colors just fine. The symbols are also much bigger than on the recipe cards. I'm sure it would have been much clearer if the boards weren't warped all to hell and our host would install some lights directly over the table. There are only 2 lights on either side of the table, about 10-12 feet apart. Either way, if it was my game I'd probably repaint a few of the colors so they're brighter. Like the red peppers would totally be repainted to match the red farmer meeple. I do own Argent and it has the same problem of dull colors that are hard to tell apart at a distance. I'm painting the gold bases and ditching the flags most likely.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
All this talk makes me want to play FCM. If someone else starts a game, count me in!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

QnoisX posted:

I had the most issue with the recipe cards, but they were a good 3 feet away from me on the other side of the table. Didn't notice that they were organized like that. Isn't it tallest to shortest? Pretty sure the ghost peppers were always on the left. I had no problems with the market or auction cards, but I see colors just fine. The symbols are also much bigger than on the recipe cards. I'm sure it would have been much clearer if the boards weren't warped all to hell and our host would install some lights directly over the table. There are only 2 lights on either side of the table, about 10-12 feet apart. Either way, if it was my game I'd probably repaint a few of the colors so they're brighter. Like the red peppers would totally be repainted to match the red farmer meeple. I do own Argent and it has the same problem of dull colors that are hard to tell apart at a distance. I'm painting the gold bases and ditching the flags most likely.

You are correct, it is tallest to shortest, but they're still organized by height.

It does suck that the circumstances caused your experience to be that negative, I'm really sorry to hear that. I definitely think that the Recipes are not laid out very well, since the peppers and the points take up less than half of the card. If they'd changed the layout and had the peppers take up the whole front side of the card, they would be a lot easier to read.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

You are correct, it is tallest to shortest, but they're still organized by height.

It does suck that the circumstances caused your experience to be that negative, I'm really sorry to hear that. I definitely think that the Recipes are not laid out very well, since the peppers and the points take up less than half of the card. If they'd changed the layout and had the peppers take up the whole front side of the card, they would be a lot easier to read.

It wasn't too bad, just frustrating. We actually talked about how the host should get some better lighting after we finished playing. It's a "sun room" so gets plenty of light during the day, but we were playing at night. There's no crawlspace in the ceiling to run wiring for new lights. I suggested that he just hook up a couple of directional spotlights next to the fans and aim them at the table.

The game itself wasn't bad. It was a bit hard to follow with 5 players. Also they had us taking the auction peppers in turn order instead of bid order. Not a huge deal, but it would have helped me in the last turn. I would play it again. Hopefully the owner can put the boards under some books or something to straighten them out. Bummer that they were already warped fresh out of the box. He hadn't even punched out the cardboard pieces yet. Otherwise I did like how the peppers fit into the board. There could be more of them. But I know wooden pieces are expensive. An insert to hold all of the peppers, x3/x5 tokens, and money would be greatly appreciated. I offered to make a foamcore insert for the game if he gave it to me, but he declined. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Here's an Alien Artifacts game where I sort of cruised to victory despite having no good strategy, and I was thinking about what I might improve. I drew AC as start world and didn't have much else to do besides drop some rare element worlds. I only managed to have one useful consume power for most of the game but I got by repeatedly exploring and leeching consume a bit. I dropped Terraforming Unlimited for 12 points (winning me the game, along with a 10-pt SETI) but I never used its consume power. I feel like this was just a lucky win because I managed to explore for some decent developments (I was hoping to get the Mining League family) without having a real plan -- what would you do in that kind of situation?