Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Have we actually seen an Autumn island now that I think about it? They all typically fall under Summer or Winter islands as far as I can remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
itd probably be hawkeye's island thats in perpetual autumn

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Asuron posted:

Have we actually seen an Autumn island now that I think about it? They all typically fall under Summer or Winter islands as far as I can remember

The island after Alabastia on the log is an Autumn island but then they bumped into Skypeia and never went there

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Drum is my fave arc after Water 7/Enies Lobby

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

thriller bark is technically a ship, but halloween is in autumn so I'm counting it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Let's keep reading! Chapter 134, "Dr. Kureha"!

Sanji and Luffy casually dodging the rabbit while talking about dumb bullshit is great. I like Luffy's theory that if you sleep in cold weather, you die. So you have a bed for when you're ready to die! THE DOCTOR WENT DOWN TO THE NEIGHBORING CITY. Hah, Cocoa Weed. Oh hey, Chopper, I recognize him! He's... Not as cute as I remember, though. Dr. Kureha looks rad, though. Holy poo poo he delivers shots by ramming into children. Okay Dr Kureha rules.

Whoa, that's a lotta polar bears gorillas lapins. Whatever, big bunny bears. And a big wooly hippo! Did... Did Dalton just turn into a loving bull?

Wait, Dalton's not a bull anymore? Did I miss something?? I'm pretty sure he was a bull... Oh, turns out he wasn't a bull, he was a Bison! Another fruit user! Fruit eater? Either way, it's cool! And now there's a loving avalanche.

And now there's a snow surfing fight with the lapins, hell yeah. Aww, Luffy saved the little lapin's parent, how sweet.

More cover stories, will we get to see Jango's bare face???? Anyways, the lapins are helping Luffy! Man, Luffy's been climbing a sheer wall for 3 hours, that's some serious poo poo. Gunna suck if he's climbing up the wrong one. Oh good, it's the right one, but then Luffy fuckin passes out cus of course he does. AND THE CLIFF IS FALL-oh, chopper(?) saved him. Chopper is much burlier than I remember, though.

JANGOS EYES ARE HEARTS AAAAAAAAAAAA- lmao oh my god the panel of Vivi dragging Usopp by the nose is the funniest poo poo. Y'know, I'm starting to notice how the art has improved lately. I know I've still got like eight hundred chapters to go still, I'm looking forward to how well it improves going forward! Oh hey Zoro's back. "I saw some fish swimming in the freezing river so I thought it'd be cool to chase after it." man, when I first met Zoro I thought he'd be a generic serious swordsman guy, but he is just as goofy as the rest of the gang. Anyways, here's the cute little chopper I know from media osmosis. Hahahaha wow, they actually poked fun at Nami being in her bra back on Dino Island. Oh, Chopper ate the people people fruit. Of course!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Outside of the women who all turn into variations of nami, the art dramatically improves over the course of the series, yeah.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I never understand people who say they don't like One Piece's art, but I guess it's so heavily stylistic that there's bound to be some who don't like it. It's one of my absolute favorite properties when it comes to character designs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I still resent Choppers gradual plushification.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Caidin posted:

I still resent Choppers gradual plushification.

he was always a plushy tho

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I disliked the art until I started reading it, it fits really well with the story

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Wonder what that means for Amazon Lily in the Calm Belt. It seems to be jungle so it's probably tropical and thus doesn't really fit into the four-seasons thing.

(also I just got the joke that Amazon Lily is tropical like the real world Amazon while also inhabited by warrior women like the mythical Amazon)

Thing is with Zoro is that, out of all of the crew, he probably has the most in common with Luffy, and originally bonds with him specifically because they have a similar mindset and respect each others' goals completely.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The Calm Belt might not be considered part of the Grand Line. That said, Little Garden is a similar case.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

a sad world when Amazon invokes online shopping first and foremost.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Viridiant posted:

The Calm Belt might not be considered part of the Grand Line. That said, Little Garden is a similar case.

There's also that jungle island Usopp stayed on for his 2 year training. I wonder if the jungle islands are Spring islands, being all full of life like that.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The One Piece Wiki says Little Garden is classed as a "prehistoric island" but I can't find any source for that so I'm pretty sure it's just the wiki editors filling in the blanks with their own canon. Spring Island makes the most sense to me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Viridiant posted:

The One Piece Wiki says Little Garden is classed as a "prehistoric island" but I can't find any source for that so I'm pretty sure it's just the wiki editors filling in the blanks with their own canon. Spring Island makes the most sense to me.

Oh! I can actually help with this! Vivi described it as a prehistoric island, saying that it was so separated from other islands that it has its own unique history and development.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Oh, thank you! That's super helpful!

So then there definitely are islands beyond the typical seasonal classification.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean it's still a spring island; people just haven't ruined it yet :v:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with Zoro is that, out of all of the crew, he probably has the most in common with Luffy, and originally bonds with him specifically because they have a similar mindset and respect each others' goals completely.

I was thinking about that recently. You don't see too many close interactions between Luffy and Zoro, but they always seem to respect each other greatly. A big part of it is that they both have monstrous strength that they respect, but they also have a similar attraction to danger and fighting. If not for Luffy, Zoro could have easily become the captain of a crew himself. Definitely parallels the relationship between Roger and Rayleigh.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Zoro was pretty eager to face off against Luffy in Baroque Works to get him to calm down, but he's also the one who takes Luffy's status as captain the most seriously among the crew, I think.

He's the one who was against Usopp being allowed to return until he apologized, cause just accepting him back willynilly would mess up with the crew morals and poo poo.

He was fully willing to give up on his dream of being the World's Greatest Swordsman to save Luffy's live, placing Luffy's dream before his own.

He's also the one who told Luffy that they all needed to get their poo poo together in Punk Hazard (Zoro lost to the Yeti Cool Bros and Luffy to Caesar despite them far outclassing their opponents).

They both got leadership qualities, but Luffy is more the type that gathers and inspires people (you know, a hero), while Zoro is the type that gives commands and keeps them in line, I'd think? Like, during Dressarosa, Zoro was the one commanding some of the dudes who'd later become part of the Straw Hat Armada while Luffy was out there beating Dofflamingo, and while the Armada pledged themselves to Luffy, it was Zoro who drank the sake while everyone was looking away. Probably just cause the dude likes his alcohol, but I do feel like it is sorta symbolic.

Up until Luffy got his bounty from beating Arlong, people focused more of Zoro than Luffy at first, since he was the only famous member of the crew. Even during Baroque Works, the BW members thought Zoro was the true leader. And then we get stuff like a Supernova (I think Uroge?) being in awe at the fact that someone of Zoro's caliber is serving under someone after watching him attempt to cut a Celestial Dragon.

Also fun is that both Luffy and Zoro don't wanna be heroes for similar reasons - they don't wanna share their meat/alcohol. Which shows you they actually have pretty similar thought processes. Though I guess Luffy has shared food as of Wanokuni.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah Zoro was pretty eager to face off against Luffy in Baroque Works to get him to calm down, but he's also the one who takes Luffy's status as captain the most seriously among the crew, I think.

He's the one who was against Usopp being allowed to return until he apologized, cause just accepting him back willynilly would mess up with the crew morals and poo poo.

He was fully willing to give up on his dream of being the World's Greatest Swordsman to save Luffy's live, placing Luffy's dream before his own.

He's also the one who told Luffy that they all needed to get their poo poo together in Punk Hazard (Zoro lost to the Yeti Cool Bros and Luffy to Caesar despite them far outclassing their opponents).

They both got leadership qualities, but Luffy is more the type that gathers and inspires people (you know, a hero), while Zoro is the type that gives commands and keeps them in line, I'd think? Like, during Dressarosa, Zoro was the one commanding some of the dudes who'd later become part of the Straw Hat Armada while Luffy was out there beating Dofflamingo, and while the Armada pledged themselves to Luffy, it was Zoro who drank the sake while everyone was looking away. Probably just cause the dude likes his alcohol, but I do feel like it is sorta symbolic.

Up until Luffy got his bounty from beating Arlong, people focused more of Zoro than Luffy at first, since he was the only famous member of the crew. Even during Baroque Works, the BW members thought Zoro was the true leader. And then we get stuff like a Supernova (I think Uroge?) being in awe at the fact that someone of Zoro's caliber is serving under someone after watching him attempt to cut a Celestial Dragon.

Also fun is that both Luffy and Zoro don't wanna be heroes for similar reasons - they don't wanna share their meat/alcohol. Which shows you they actually have pretty similar thought processes. Though I guess Luffy has shared food as of Wanokuni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TDRZCKUdk this scenes so good

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://twitter.com/mai_kumamoto/status/1068344660681080832

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zoro's my fave for a reason.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love that Zoro thinks someone wants directions from him.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://twitter.com/mai_kumamoto/status/1068350591443787777

luffy has a statue that was just unveiled in kumamoto

he got his dressrosa wish irl

it's on the map now

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 140 "Castle-dwelling Snow"

Why is everyone so surprised that the castle is cold and snowy? It's in a fuckin tundra. Aww, Chopper's backstory ss real sad. It'll be funny if Sanji and Luffy are so dumb they think of him as a regular reindeer, thus making him feel accepted. Oh, I guess Luffy just thinks a talking reindeer monster is cool, that definitely is very Luffy.

Oops, Jango accidentally entered a dance contest, I hate it when that happens. I want a full manga of Chopper and Hiluluk just going on misadventures around town, "healing" people and getting into trouble.

I'm so emotional over Chopper's backstory, I don't have much to add. It's really good!! Chopper is very precious and much less of an rear end in a top hat than I thought he'd be. He went out and found the mushroom!

There's so much talk of these MD-20s, I wonder what they're like. Obviously they're doctors, but are they like, military doctors? I dunno... Oh... Oh no, the mushroom... It had a skull and crossbones next to it... :ohdear:

Oh, there are the MD-20s. I guess they're just pink military doctors. "A man only dies when he is forgotten." good words, Hiluluk. I really like him, which makes this story extra sad. Also makes me want adventures of Hiluluk and Chopper even more.

Holy poo poo the two page spread punch is SO GOOD

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/926/page/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat this is a loving good arc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kamazou the manslayer is one of the Kozuki samurai, his hair is the same as one of the silhouettes in Chapter 921.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Loving all the new designs, especially the samurai headshots on page 5. Meanwhile Dobon continues the trend of extremely silly Smile users, his rear end is the jaw :magical:

Also spotted Caribou in that one panel, which increases the probability of X Drake showing up!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i love the character designs in this arc so much

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
You'd think these evil prison guards would chop off arms for the vaguest reasons, but no. Gotta have hard evidence. Kaido has some scruples.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I giggled like an idiot at Dobon. Smiles are the loving best.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Huzzah! posted:

You'd think these evil prison guards would chop off arms for the vaguest reasons, but no. Gotta have hard evidence. Kaido has some scruples.

It sure is nice to them to actually uphold their bargain and give Kidd and Luffy the food they earned instead of trying to renege on the deal.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Very honorable prison guards in wano

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It sure is nice to them to actually uphold their bargain and give Kidd and Luffy the food they earned instead of trying to renege on the deal.

I think every guard there is worried about being crushed to paste by the two men who, shackled, wounded, and cursed, carried a pyramid of stone at a dead run.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shout out to the guard who wanted Luffy and Kidd to chew their food.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

Loving all the new designs, especially the samurai headshots on page 5. Meanwhile Dobon continues the trend of extremely silly Smile users, his rear end is the jaw :magical:

Also spotted Caribou in that one panel, which increases the probability of X Drake showing up!

I bet X Drake is the mystery man in the cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

That chapter ruled. Act 2 is strong so far, and I can't wait for the Impel Down 2.0 breakout with Caribou. I love how the title arcs always end up being relevant somehow.

Who the hell is in that cage? I wanna say X Drake but why wouldn't they put him in seastone handcuffs instead? I'm thinking it must be a strong non-DF user, maybe that Whitebeard Jr. guy.